Cover Image: The Lost Secret of Ireland (Starlight Cottages Book 2)

The Lost Secret of Ireland (Starlight Cottages Book 2)

Thank you to Netgalley, the publishing house and the author for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of this book in return for a review based upon my honest opinion.

This author writes such lovely books.  It is like visiting one of your favourite little getaway spots and seeing what is new with the locals you know well and meeting new people every time.  This book was no exception, I love the intereactions between the parties but do wish there had been a little more interaction with the local residents from Wild Rose Bay that we know and love.  I liked these characters and the storyline, while it had a few small issues for me, was thoroughly enjoyable. I so would love to go and stay at one of the Starlight cottages, which this  book centers around..

Thsi book is about Ella, one of the residents on the Starlight cottages, who is recovering from a broken pelvis that she got while painting a ceilinig and falling off a ladder.  Her late mother's friend, Lucille calls and says she is coming to stay with her to help along her recovery and Ella suspects escaping from her life for a bit.  Lucille is a very spry 85 year old who is taking life on a journey and lving for all she is worth.  Ella knows there is an underlying reason she is there and decides to keep her secret when Lucille tells her she told her two sons that she is on a cruise.  Adding to the storyline is the handsome new neighbour with his little daughter, 5 year old Amanda, who was portrayed wonderfully, a little bit precocious and a lot sweet. I loved the relationship between Lucille and Ella, unlikely roomates who are bound by their love for Ella's mother.  When Lucille's son Rory tracks her down, Ella  wonders why this man infuriates her so much.  As the story progressed I was caught up once again in this beautiful area.

This was a lovely story, it was upbeat and fun; Lucille would be a hoot to hang out with, she had more energy than most of the younger characters in the book.  I cannot wait for the next tale from this author.
The Lost Secret of Ireland is the 2nd book of the Starlight Cottages series. But the first book of this series is actually the last book of a different series. And it seems the Starlight Cottages, where the heroine Ella resides, was already featured in that book.

In this book, Ella, who has been alone till her 45 years of age, despite her efforts to create a family with the right person, is fortunate enough to have 2 people come into her life and open her heart to the joys and travails of being in a relationship. This book was a lovely, heart-warming read but it didn't hold my interest as well as it could have. This book is worth 4 stars according to me. I would like to thank Netgalley, the publisher and the author Susanne O' Leary for this ARC and give confirmation that all opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Touching story of Irish Village by the Sea. You will fine it hard to stop reading.  Great Series. You will imagine yourself in the cottages by the sea.
Fluffy, romantic story set in a beautiful location. Similar to Jenny Colgan novels though not as likeable.  While Ella is trying  to recover from a fall that broke her pelvis, she has an unexpected house guest who pushes her and helps her recover more quickly.  A surly son is attached to Ella's house guest.  One who aggravates Ella to no end, until....
I loved The Lost Girls of Ireland so much I couldn't wait for the next in the series.  I do hope there's going to be another!  The second book, The Lost Secret of Ireland, tells the story of another resident in the Starlight Cottages - Ella.  Ella is an artist who has had a bad fall from a ladder and is recovering at home with friends coming to help her when her late mother's friend calls to say she's coming to visit and help look after her.  Lucille is 85 years old and a bundle of fun and mystery.  What could she be hiding?  Find out when you read it!! Both women are brilliantly written characters who are independent and fun.  You'll love reading their story.
This is a second book in the Starlight Cottage Series but can be easily read as a stand alone.
Ella is an artist and lives alone in a small cottage at Sandy Cove near Killarney in Ireland. Ella had a fall from a ladder and has been in bed for two months after breaking her pelvis. Ella’s neighbors have been caring for her. Ella’s friend Lucille comes to visit to help Ella recover.
Lucille has a family home in Tipperary but wants to sell it and move into a cottage in the village close to Ella. Lucille does not want her sons to know she is planning to sell her family home.
Lucille gets caught up in village life and is researching her family history but is keeping secrets from Ella,
Gradually under Lucille’s supervision Ella starts to recover and gets to know her next door neighbor and his young daughter.
Ella starts a new project illustrating a children’s picture book but is distracted by Lucile’s secretiveness and the interruptions by visits from Lucille’s son.
This was about families, friendships and secrets.
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'The Lost Secret Of Ireland' by Susanne O'Leary.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Susanne O'Leary , Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 31st August 2021.

This is the second book I have read by this author. It is also the second book in the 'Starlight Cottages' series but can be read as a standalone. I have previously read 'The Lost Girls Of Ireland' which is the seventh book in the 'Sandy Cove' series which can also be read as a standalone and which I highly recommend.

I was originally drawn to this book by its beautiful eye catching cover and its intriguing synopsis and title. The synopsis stated that this book is 'For fans of Debbie Macomber, Sheila O’Flanagan and Mary Alice Monroe.' I am a huge fan of Debbie Macomber so am looking forward to seeing if this lives up to this statement. I am also a huge fan of Susanne O'Leary and if this is half as good as 'The Lost Girls Of Ireland' it is sure to be a page turning read. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of 22 chapters and an epilogue The chapters are short to medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is based in Ireland 🇮🇪 UK 🇬🇧. The bonus for me of books that are partly or fully based in the UK is that I live in the UK and have sometimes visited places mentioned in the book which makes it easier to picture. The fact that this book is based in Ireland is even better as I have been on holiday in Ireland many times so may even recognise some places Emma has set the book around.

This book is written in third person perspective with the main protagonist is Ella Caron. The benefits of third person perspective are that it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters more, what they are thinking and what they are doing. It feels like you get to see the whole picture and not miss out in anything.

Well done Susanne you have done it again!!!! OMG! OMG!! I cannot remember the last time I was so gutted to come to the end of a book!! I absolutely fell in love and it genuinely felt like I was packing my bags and being whisked away from my Irish holiday when I read the last page. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

The book is so well written with its stunning and vivid descriptions that I genuinely felt that I was standing with Ella throughout feeling the Irish breeze in my hair and smelling the ocean. The synopsis and cover suited the storyline perfectly and I think the title change was definitely a good move as 'The Lost Secret Of Ireland' suits it perfectly.

Although this book is the 2nd in a series it can be read as a standalone with no problems. In fact I never came across anything in the book that would make me think it was part of a series. I am however looking forward to reading the previous book and being whisked back to Ireland again. The storyline was realistic and just beautiful. It starts off in such a sad place and from the rain a rainbow was born. I loved getting to know everyone on Sandy Cove and Starlight Cottages and enjoyed the atmosphere and my gorgeous surroundings. It genuinely felt like I was on holidays and after not having one for so long this was definitely the closest thing.

The storyline was filled with romance, stunning settings, love, secrets and family. It made me feel all bubbly inside and it had an air of mystery trying to work out what it was that Lucille was up to. There was plenty of laughter, hope, love and some tension and sadness mixed in. Absolutely everything you want in a romantic getaway.

The characters were all solid, realistic and I loved that they all had their own unique personalities. Ella and Lucille are such strong and determined women, one who had to get over the ordeal of a broken pelvis, unable to have had children and a divorce and the other dealing with the loss of her husband and his stuck up family. I love it when the protagonist is such a strong female lead being a woman myself it's great to see, having two was an extra bonus!!! Lynette is such a whirlwind and it was beautiful to see her relationship with Ella and the way they supported each other through thick and thin. Sunny is such a mature girl and i really liked her attitude. Rory and Thomas well phew, what handsome and romantic men. It wasn't just the main characters that made this book but also all the neighbours too, I really enjoyed meeting them all. I enjoyed watching Ella and Thomas and Rory's friendships and relationships grow and their bond develop. Maura, Saskia and the cute but wicked Mandy all stood out to me too. Susanne portrayed Irish Country life perfectly and it was exactly the same when I went on holidays for a fortnight many years ago, the close knit community where everyone knew each other and was so helpful.

Susanne I fell on love with your heart warming, page turning and stunning book which took my heart away and left me gutted when my holiday ended. Welcome to my favourite author list. I have already added all your books on my wish lists and I cannot wait for my next Irish adventure!!! Please get these put on the big screen!!

Overall an absolutely stunning, heart warming romance that will have you heading off to Ireland in the blink of an eye.

Genres covered in this novel include Romance Novel, Contemporary Romance and Holiday Fiction amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Debbie Macomber, Nicholas Sparks and just anyone and everyone whether you are looking to get away or for romance this is the book for you!!!

218 pages.

This book is just £1.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5/5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#TheLostSecretOfIreland #Bookouture  #SusanneOLeary #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@SusanneOLeary  @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

Sandy Cove is a tiny coastal village in Ireland and Ella Caron is trying to recover.  Ella moved from Paris to Sandy Cove for the quiet and tranquility of the village so that she could grieve the loss of her mother.  She needed space to process her loss and never imagined her mother’s best friend Lucille would move in with her to keep her company.  As Ella spends more time with Lucille she finds herself letting her guard down and laughing more.  Lucille wants to live the rest of her life in Sandy Cove, but when her son Rory arrives he has other plans for Lucille’s life.  But when Rory and Ella build a friendship, Ella can’t help but wonder if Rory is right.  I thoroughly enjoyed this continuation story in the series.  This sequel was ever bit as good as the first book.  I was so engrossed with this story I didn’t want to put it down.  This feel good escape was exactly what I needed.

Thank you Susan O’Leary for another wonderful story.  I really enjoyed this story, and felt as if I was transported to Ireland.  The plot was captivating, the characters were relatable, and this story kept me entertained.  This fantastic story is a must read and I highly recommend this book.
The Lost Secret of Ireland by Suzanne O'Leary is another in the amazing tales of Wild Rose Bay and of the four cottages near the lighthouse. Ella is an artist in her mid-forties. Her main income stream comes from illustrating children's' books, but she also sells paintings and take on an occasional commission. It was during one such commission that she stood atop a rickety ladder, against the advice of the client, and fell. She broke her pelvis and had been bed ridden for the past two months. She has survived thanks to the generosity of her neighbors and of the village in general. Now she was out of bed, just, and had gotten a call from her deceased mother's dearest friend, Lucille, who had determined that she would come and live with Ella for a few months and see her back to full mobility.  It was a given, no options were given. Lucille proved to be a demanding roommate; she saw to it that Ella did her physiotherapy daily and got her out of the house. They lingered over dinner and a glass of wine, and basically had a good life. But, something was going on with Lucille and Ella couldn't begin to figure it out. Then Rory, Lucille's son arrived. She had told him she was on a cruise, but with a variety of clues, he had figured it out. Now Ella was in the middle of it.

The descriptions of small town life make this book. The people who populate the village and their lives are so endearing that the reader is immediately drawn in. This is a lovely feel-good novel about village life and the changes one makes as one gets older and sees more of life with a different lens. It's about discovery and change and just how wonderful life can be.

I was invited to read a free e-ARC of The Lost Secret of Ireland by Bookoutre through Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. #netgalley #bookoutre #thelostsecretofireland
If you are in need of a pick-me-up novel full of family, love and a mystery along the way then The Lost Secret of Ireland (Starlight Cottages Book 2) by Susanne O'Leary is the book for you. A precocious five-year old neighbor, older adults and community support Ella’s life is full and busy. However, there does seem to be a mystery to be solved as this story continues.

A small village story that focuses on relationships The Lost Secret of Ireland is a wonderful romantic mystery novel. The second in the series this has sealed Susanne O'Leary as a go-to writer for me. It does read well as a stand-alone if you haven’t read the first book yet.

An ARC of the book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley which I voluntarily chose to read and reviewed. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of The Lost Secret of Ireland (Starlight Cottages Book 2), by Susanne O’Leary.

Ella is living in Sandy Cove, a small village nestled on the Irish coast, and has had a disastrous few weeks, breaking her pelvis whilst painting a mural and falling from a dodgy ladder!  She is now relying on her friends and neighbours to help her, and they are rallying around, helping with her shopping and making meals for her, but she is finding it slightly overbearing.  When her late mother’s best friend, Lucille, offers to come and stay to help Ella get back on her feet, she jumps at the chance.  It soon becomes apparent that Lucille has other reasons for coming to Sandy Cove, though,  and although she is Ella’s lifesaver, she is also continuing with her secret mission and keeping her reasons very much to herself.

Each character brought their own ‘little bit of something’ to Sandy Cove and before long, you can see that they either are or will shortly become a part of village life.  The Lost Secret of Ireland is very much a book about the importance of friends and family and how living in a small community automatically brings people closer together.

Although this is the second Starlight Cottages book, it can be read as a stand-alone novel, although I think it will definitely make you want to read the first!
Do you need a light, uplifting book in your life?  You will certainly get that reading The Lost Secret of Ireland.
What a heartwarming story about friendship, love, family secrets, second chances and community.
With a setting of a tiny village called Sandy Cove in Ireland you cannot help feeling connected to the endearing characters living there.  Each character draws you in wanting to know more about them, where they’ve been and where they are going.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Lost Secret of Ireland.  If you are in the need for feel good, sweet read, I highly recommend reading this book.

Loved this quote:
“You mean old?” Lucille asked.  She leaned forward and fixed Ella with a steely gaze. I don’t like that word, it’s derogative.  I’m not old, it’s just that I have lived a long time.  There is a difference, you know.  You’re never old if you don’t want to be.

Many thanks to NetGalley, Bookouture  and author, Susanne O’Leary for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
*Though this is the second book in the Sandy Cove Starlight Cottage series it can certainly be read as a standalone read.
This is the second book I have read by Susanne O'Leary. It is also the eighth book set in Sandy Cove but the second in the Starlight Cottages series though it can be read as a standalone.

Now in Ireland, Ella Caron has moved from Paris to the beautiful Sandy Cove in the southwest, looking for solace following her mum's death. But Lucille has other ideas; she moves in with her. Outgoing Lucille is her mum's best friend and she has her own agenda in the form of a house of her own. Looking for help from Ella, the two are enjoying making plans, then Rory, Lucille's youngest son rocks up...

Sandy Cove is a place where there is a great community and friendship in all quarters. Endearing characters are trying to find their way through their life situations. The story dances the reader smoothly through love, soupcons of mystery and second chances set amidst the backdrop of a gorgeous coastline. A wonderfully fulfilling, highly recommended read.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Bookouture via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
The Lost Secret of Ireland is a cozy sweet contemporary romance novel which is perfect for those rainy days enjoyed with a cup of hot chocolate. Stories set in Ireland and especially near the set coast have become my favorite things these days and this story is set on one such location. Set in Kerry the scenery of this novel is beautiful. This novel is a second novel in a series but can be read as a stand alone as well.
Ella is an artist and is recuperating from a fall but having difficulties getting over it mentally. Enters Lucille, her mom's friend who is on a secret mission and wants to start her life anew but is stopped by her sons. How Ella's life changes with her arrival is the wonderful story that this book is all about. I loved the character of Lucille so much. At eighty two the zeal and enthusiasm the author has introduced this amazing character is fantastic. Though fictional I hope I am that way at that age. The scenery, side characters all play a wonderful roles. A delightful cozy read.
Ella Caron is trying to accept her mother's death. Peace and quiet is on her agenda. So, she moved from Paris to Sandy Cove in Ireland and finds that is the last thing she'll get. Instead, her mother's best friend shows up to offer support, and brings far more energy than Ella can cope with. How can eighty-five-year-old Lucille have more energy than Ella? It doesn't help that Ella is recovering from a fracture after falling from a ladder.

Ella has her reasons for being in Sandy Cove. But then, so does Lucille. Lucille can see Ella's pain, both physcial and emotional. She proves a powerful catalyst when it comes to Ella starting over, and definitely in more ways than one. Meanwhile, Rory, Ella's youngest son, shows up to try to get to the bottom of what his mother is up to. As Lucille and her mother were best friends, Ella knows Rory and his brother Martin. Now that Rory is around, Ella remembers why they were not friends - they rub each other the wrong way.

This enjoyable story by Susanne O'Leary is quite touching. There was a wee bit of mystery when it came to seeing the man that would steal Ella's heart, and what Lucille had in mind. Full of delightful characters, a snicely-paced plot and continuity, as well asd a sweet romance. I love the residents of Sandy Cove and hope we get to see these folks again.

Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.
Susanne O'Leary’s The Lost Secret of Ireland is the story of Ella Caron who moves to the tiny village of Sandy Cove in Ireland after her mother has passed away. A story of grief, unexpected friendship, love, and secrets, The Lost Secret of Ireland is indeed a treasure and a book full of beautiful scenery that will keep you guessing until the end. I highly recommend this well-written, gem of a book, and I look forward to Susanne O’Leary’s next book.
The Lost Secret of Ireland by Susanne O'Leary is a lively, feel-good, sweet romance set in a small town in Ireland.  It is the second book in the Starlight Cottages series, but can easily be read as a stand-alone book.

Ella is an artist living in a cottage in Sandy Cove, Ireland.  While painting a mural, she slipped off the ladder and broke her pelvis.  While recovering in her cottage, with the help of the local villagers for support, she gets a call from Lucille, her late mother’s best friend.  Lucille sweeps into her life full of energy, eccentricity, and many secrets.

This is a book about love, families, friendship, and getting older. These characters are very well developed and I enjoyed all of them.  I especially enjoyed the daughter of the neighbor’s five year old daughter Amanda.  I liked that the author wrote the character of Amanda in a very realistic way.  She was cute, like most five year olds, but also a bit naughtly and needy, also like most five year olds!  I liked that she wasn’t the picture perfect girl that so many books describe.

This book also had a lot of mystery that kept me turning the pages.  There is a bit of a love triangle, but it’s clear from the start who should be with who.  This is a sweet romance, but most of the book is about the relationship between Ella and Lucille.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves books about small towns and family relationships.  I received a complimentary copy of this book.  The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
#TheLostSecretsOfIreland by #SusanneO’Leary
Ella Caron is recovering from an accident and still grieving the loss of her mother in the peaceful coastal village of Sandy Cove
Then her mother’s best friend decides that she will take care of Ella’s recovery and moves herself in. Although Lucille is 85 there is no sign she is slowing down, and then she confides that she wants to buy a house and live there and when her sons find out there are sure to be problems.
A lovely read.
A sweet, slow-moving story dealing with family secrets and the desire of Ella and her late  mother's friend Lucille to live life on their own terms.  Lucille comes to the aid of Ella who is trying to recover from a nasty fall from a ladder.  But Lucille is keeping something from Ella, which puts Ella in an awkward spot when she becomes close to Lucille's son Rory. Visit again the residents of the village of Sandy Cove and discover what the future holds for Ella and Lucille.
There was a lot of “in the characters mind” style of writing which is great in pieces but not in the whole book. I also felt that the main character was rather immature at crucial times which felt odd for someone over 40.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.