Cover Image: Bring Her Home (Boyle & Keneally Book 1)

Bring Her Home (Boyle & Keneally Book 1)

This is such an atmospheric crime thriller full of emotion and suspense. Vibrant characters Boyle and Keneally have a believable team dynamic. Set in Ireland, the setting adds to the suspenseful ethos with hints of the supernatural interwoven with Irish folklore.

There is an overriding menace in this story. It's explored but not resolved in this story, making the reader want to know how it will develop. The fast pacing adds to the story's addictive quality, and Jessie Boyle has secrets but is easy to like. Seamus Keneally seems to be more open with less to hide and is the perfect contrast for his partner.

Terri, the historical researcher and technical expert, has a poignant past. Dawn, the Police Commissioner, has a history with Jessie. Both have complex pasts that add depth to the story.

Authentic and well-paced, this is an immersive read that is hard to put down.

I received a copy of this book from Bookouture via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
Bring Her Home is the first book in the new Boyle & Keneally series, as well as my first book by SA Dunphy. I really enjoyed this  one... everything I love in a thriller - a depraved serial killer, a dark quick-moving plot with twists and turns, well-written dialogue and characters including a strong female protagonist! I can't believe I've missed out on this author for so long... he's definitely moved into must-read territory for me. I can hardly wait to read the upcoming volumes in the series, and til then, I will be happily catching up on the rest of SA Dunphy's novels.

I am so grateful to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review Bring Her Home, as well as for introducing me to SA Dunphy!
Bring Her Home by S.A. Dunphy and narrated by Shelley Atkinson Length: 9 hrs and 23 mins, This is the first book in the new Boyle & Keneally series and also a new author for me as well. This new book series was a brilliant and I loved the audio book. I was hooked from the very beginning till the end. Especially as it was full of great twists and turns throughout.

I highly recommend this new book.....5 Star book and the narrator was excellent as well,

Big Thank you to Netgalley, Bookouture and the author S.A. Dunphy for my ARC of Dancing With The Dead in exchange for an honest review.
For some odd reason this book disappeared from my shelf.  So, I did not get to read it on here. I will find it elsewhere
A great read, gripping and thrilling from the start all the way through to the end! I can’t wait for the rest of the series if this is the start!
This was an absorbing and gripping start to a new crime series. I loved the main character. Can’t wait to read more of the series.
This was an absolutely fantastic suspenseful read! I read it through in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. I've been a fan of the authors work for quite some time and I'm very excited for this new series.
Satisfactory start to a ,presumed, series of books featuring Boyle and Keneally. Interesting and well developed plot line and believable plot line
and realistic characterisation plus some nifty plot shifts keep the interest throughout the story. Minor quibbles, the references to Celtic folklore are obviously one integral plot component but did occur with some regularity and the sections devoted to specific characters were a little jarring.

Having said that a very enjoyable read and I look forward to the next instalment.
Wow wow wow. Absolutely addictove. Stunning. Great writing. A suspenseful, heart pounding read. Loved this one so much. Just cannot wait for more from this amazing author.
Wow, that was not what I expected--and I mean in an absolutely good way! This was my first book by this author and I can tell you, before I even go into detail, that this will not be my last book by him!
If you know me, you know I love fast-paced. This book didn't only give me that, but it also gave me a crazy combination of my favorite thriller/mystery/suspense novel elements: kidnapping, murder, sociopaths, behavioral analysis, crazy twists, and computer forensics. However, the book didn't stop there. In addition, the author added Celtic mythology and computer forensic to the mix and he did a phenomenal job combining all these elements without making it confusing, unrealistic, or boring in any way. Hold your breath before you go into this book because you will not have time to come up from it for air. That is how fast this plot moves. I love love love it!!!!
First, the chapters all start with a quote by one of the more or less real-life sociopathic serial killers, e.g., Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer. Then, the reason why Jessie leaves her career with the police in London will knock you off your chair because it is not written from Jessie's POV but from someone with very sinister motives (sorry, can't say more to avoid any spoilers ;-)). And then the mind-blowing, jaw-dropping moments don't stop there. How in the world does a lunatic in solitary confinement know that Jessie is in Ireland? How does he know that Penny was abducted and he even knows who the culprit is, well more or less? Those are just the opening chapters. This book has roughly 70 chapters and the remaining chapters are no less unputdownable (I think that is a word now since Stephen King has used it multiple times lol). I can't wait to get my hands on book 2 in the series!
Serial killer chiller fans will want to devour S A Dunphy’s spine-tingling Irish-set thriller, Bring Her Home, in a single sitting.

Penny O’Dwyer was abducted one cold October night from a quiet street in the west coast of Ireland. The police had searched far and wide for her, but despite not leaving a single stone unturned, Penny seemed to have vanished off the face of the earth – until a chilling video is sent by her attacker declaring that she has been kidnapped and that she has ten days to live. The clock is ticking and with every single resource having been exhausted, a favour is called out compelling criminal behaviourist Jessie Boyle to return to Ireland after swearing never to set foot on the Emerald Isle ever again.

Ireland is the last place on earth Jessie Boyle wants to be in, but with her oldest friend begging her to help crack this case, she found herself with no other choice but to return. As she begins her investigation into Penny O’Dwyer’s disappearance, she makes a blood-curdling discovery: Penny was not the first girl to be abducted and she will certainly not be the last. As more women are found, it becomes apparent that a serial killer has been hiding in plain sight and if he isn’t caught soon, the consequences and repercussions simply do not bear thinking about. There is nothing that links all the victims, however, Jessie is convinced that the answers lie hidden in the old Irish myths she used to read as a child.

Time is not on her side and the pressure is mounting. Jessie needs to find the killer and fast – because he has her in her sights and is waiting for the right moment to pounce.

S A Dunphy adds a fiendishly clever twist to the serial killer thriller genre with Bring Her Home. A dark, sinister and hard-hitting page-turner that simmers with tension, menace and foreboding, Bring Her Home raises the stakes and ratchets up the suspense by leaving readers barely able to catch their breath as they are taken on a creepy and heart-stopping journey where the shocks and surprises come thick and fast.

Bring Her Home is the first title in the Boyle and Keneally series and having thoroughly enjoyed S A Dunphy’s debut installment, I cannot wait to read what they get up to next.
What a ride! I started it late in the afternoon and ended now. I couldn't stop reading as there's plenty of twists and turns.
A breathtaking thriller, gripping and fast paced. There're elements of folklore, history and some very interesting villains.
I loved Jessie, Seaumus, Terri and Dawn. They are a great team and I loved how they worked and how the different skill were used.
The plot is full of twists and turns, I was able to guess a couple of them and who the villain was but it didn't stop me from enjoying the story.
The excellent start for a new series, can't wait to read the next instalment.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
This new crime thriller series has an original bent with its inclusion of Celtic history and mythology. Set in Ireland, the partnership of criminal behavioral specialist Jessie Boyle and Detective Seamus Keneally of the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation, brings that lore to life as they search for a missing woman.

Penelope O'Dwyer is the daughter of a former Taoiseach (prime minister of the Irish Republic) and worked in finance -- perhaps some of her work was bordering on criminal -- so one of the local gang factions might have kidnapped her. Then Jessie gets a message saying that Penny has only until Samhain until she will be killed. Joined by Terri Kehoe, a genealogist and expert in Irish history and folklore as well as being a tech wizard, the trio learns that a serial killer has been operating in the Sligo/Leitrim area for years and that the murders might be related to the myth of Balor - the fire demon or the Celtic equivalent of Satan. What have they all got themselves into with this case? NO SPOILERS.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel with its setting, rich historical references, and very likeable characters. Though Jessie has experienced a recent tragedy, she focuses her attention and energy on the case and develops a great relationship with her two new partners. The writing was good and the story was clever. I am looking forward to reading the next installment.

Note - original title was Dancing with the Dead.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend.
What a brilliant start to a new series...
I adore getting in on a new series from the very beginning because somehow you feel part of it and you get caught up on the excitement of it in real time...
I am a huge fan of this authors work and I adore Bookouture as publishers so it puts a huge smile on my face to see them working together.
And what makes this new series so exciting is that author Shane Dunphy always seems to have his finger on the button when it comes to crime writing. He has done his research,  knows his genre and has the experience.
We meet Jessie Boyle, a criminal behaviourist in this series and her trusted sidekick Seamus Keneally.
A relationship I really think works well..
I love the dynamics of it, the banter between them and the care shown to one another..
Me being the ever romantic has asked Shane will there be a romance between them but he gave nothing away..His lips were sealed..
When a prominent Irish figure's daughter is snatched one night, Jessie & Seamus must work fast to solve the case before it is too late.
What starts as one abduction leads to others and the link between them remains within a hair's breadth.
I loved the dark intensity to this story, at times almost brutal..
I could feel the chill down the back of my neck more times than I would like to admit.. Characters were established and I finished this book wanting much more.
I'm excited for Book two to see where the author will take his characters..
Well worth your time..
My thanks to Bookouture for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘Bring Her Home’ by S.A. Dunphy in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first in a series of Irish police procedurals featuring criminal behavioural specialist Jessie Boyle and Detective Seamus Keneally.

There’s nothing quite as exciting for a crime fiction enthusiast as to be presented with the first book in a new series. Add to the mix a dangerous serial killer and elements of folk horror and you can count on me being a very happy bunny. As for the plot, just a taster in order to avoid spoilers.

In a small town on Ireland’s west coast, Penelope O’Dwyer disappears while walking a short distance from a restaurant to her hotel. A few days later a tape is received by the police in which her masked kidnapper provides ‘proof of life’ and advises that she will be ritually murdered on the eve of Samhain. He promises that following this there will be many more murders. With less than two weeks before that date, the police have no leads.

Then imprisoned murderer Frederick Morgan offers vital information connecting the case to a series of historic murders but he will only speak to one person: criminal behaviourist Jessie Boyle. …

This was a sterling police procedural and I loved the elements of mythology and folklore woven throughout the story. Boyle and Keneally had great chemistry and I enjoyed their banter. I also liked the quotes from serial killers at the beginning of each of the novel’s parts.

Overall, ‘Bring Her Home’ was dark and compelling. It ticked all my boxes with respect to a police procedural. It was well written with strong characterisations and plenty of room to expand on their individual arcs.

I was slightly perplexed about the change of title from ‘Dancing with the Dead’, though it may have been thought best by those who make these decisions to downplay the folk horror/mythological elements and opt for a more mundane title.

On a personal note, an awareness of the unseen, including respect for fairy mounds, cairns, standing stones and local mythology is very much part of the psyche of the Irish people and so including these aspects increased my appreciation of this novel.

Definitely a strong start for this series and I will be eagerly awaiting the next case for Boyle and Keneally.
Overall 4.5🌟
This would have been a 5🌟 read for me but parts of the story just seemed to drag on and on.  The information included was very interesting and intriguing.  The author certainly researched her facts.  It was just tooooo much!
Definitely a thrilling new series!
Definitely a book I had a hard time putting down!
Definitely well developed characters!
And
Definitely a engrossing and intriguing plot!
I hope to read book #2 to see where the author takes Detectives Boyle and Keneally..
Thank you to NetGallery, Bookouture and author, S.A. Dunphy, for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC.  I am voluntarily reviewing this book.  I read this book and enjoyed it.   Then went to do the review and couldn't find the book (the title had changed).  So the book that I downloaded was called Dancing with the Dead and apparently now it is called Bring her home.  Regardless, this is a great read.  Jessie is at an all time low and is sucked back into things by her friend Dawn.  Characters are interesting, the mystery is good.   All around fun to read..kept me on my toes.   3.5 stars
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley, too,
For my copy of this book, here's my honest review:

This story starts when a man's murdered body is found
And Jessie Boyle is one of the first around
But the man was her love and she has to leave
To give herself time to heal and grieve.

She returns to Ireland, she's been left for twenty years
Hoping being there will help her overcome her tears.
She's a criminal behaviourist and hasn't been there a day
When the police commissioner calls in a debt to repay.

A young woman, Penny, has been kidnapped and a challenge set
For them to find her before Samhain or she'll die is the threat.
With Detective Seamus Keneally and Terri Kehoe too
This team will endeavour to follow every clue.

They find old Irish myths play a serious part
In what is happening from the very start.
With a serial killer hiding in plain sight
Can they catch him whilst Penny is still alright?

An enthralling page turner I have to say
That kept me reading all the day.
This is a book I highly recommend to you
If crime thrillers are what you enjoy, too!
Loved this book so much! Loved the characters, loved how well the story was told. Excited to read more from this author
Bring Her Home is a promising start to a new police procedural series set in Ireland and featuring a pair of detectives who work together superbly. Great characterisation, some exciting twists and plenty of dead ends and twisty turns to keep you invested in the story. Highly recommended.