Cover Image: Good Girls Don't Make History

Good Girls Don't Make History

The title Good Girls Don't Make History was inspired by Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Laurel Thatcher Ulrich who wrote that "well-behaved women seldom make history" and comes from her 1976 article on Puritan funeral services despite having been attributed to many different people in the past. The statement and often-quoted phrase speaks to the prevailing and chronic way in which women frequently fail to receive proper attribution or credit for their work and contributions. Too often female lives, points of view and accomplishments have been excluded from history altogether.

This graphic novel was created as many extraordinary women, as well as men, have been sidelined for far too long in the American school system. It strives to give its readers a wide-ranging overview of the diverse men and women who fought ardently for women's liberty and the use of the illustrated format makes this a much more vibrant, engaging and accessible read. The systematic abuse, disrespect and imprisonment of women during their campaign to win the right to vote is an embarrassment to history and a badge of honour to those who bravely fought for what is right.

The book proudly shares the stories of 70 years of socially and economically diverse women who had one clear goal: to achieve the right to vote. As we celebrate the first female Vice President of the United States, Kamala Harris, it is important to acknowledge the decades of persistent and doggedly determined female leaders who paved the way to this historic moment. An informative, empowering and fascinating read from start to finish. Full of people who should be celebrated a lot more than they actually are. Highly recommended.
Solid Gold 5 out of 5 stars from me!

It was so cool for me to finally take the leap into Women's Suffrage in the US and oh MY GOSH was this an incredible place to start.
The art is gorgeous, the storytelling is intensely consumable, and I had so many moments where I was close to tears so reading this over my lunch break in work wasn't the best idea.
This book is so important as it highlights so many current issues alongside those of the past 100 years and all of the key players across the century. Women who risked so much in return for so little but kept hoping and planning and fighting so the women who came after them could achieve their goals, step by excruciatingly small and ever thwarted step. It is also stunning.

This is another book I will be buying physically as soon as I can and doling out to as many people in my lives as possible.
The narration style of this book chose to use vignettes of present day situations illustrating why/how women should be grateful for what they have today but we have so much farther to go yet. The story would then jump to the past to tell the story of how women in the past fought for the right to vote in America. The stories introduced us to several important women like Susan B. Anthony, Carrie Chapman Catt, and Alice Paul. The illustration was simple and easy to follow but not very interesting to look at. I think this would be great for the classroom and any budding feminist.
An easily accessible graphic novel that delves into women's rights and voting right's history. I really liked this feminist approach as we follow the different women and see how their actions connect to today's modern audience. Graphically I really enjoyed the moments when it's of important held several panels in close ups, it help make the time it's set feel authentic. I would recommend this for anyone to read!
Thank you so much for the gifted book Elizabeth Kiehner, Kara Coyle, NetGalley, and Quarto Publishing Group!

What I liked:

The illustrations are WONDERFUL. I mean, how can you draw so beautifully authors?
The way it makes you reflect on how hard it was for women to get the vote and equal rights.
The dialogs of the women of this book. EMPOWERED WOMEN!

What I didn't like:
I think that this book is more for people of the USA because I didn't really know the women mentioned, but it was not a book's problem, it was my own. Anyway, I learned a lot from it because of it, but I expected a little more context.

Thanks again for the book, I feel so honored that I received it!
A beautiful illustrated graphic novel which tackles an important subject and does not shy away from the    tension between some of the leaders.  I did not know anything about the American suffrage movement, but now feel mor3 e lightened and informed. This will not only appeal to its target audience but many many other people who will find it an easy and engaging read and will learn a lot along the way.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars

A step back in time for one of the most important event in history of women in the U.S, the right to vote and a  good reminder to the modern woman that without those strong figures, the present would have been very different for them. It was a battle for liberty and for equality that is still going on, let's not forget that.

It was so inspiring and very interesting to learn or remember the names of those who left their mark in history. Nice read but I did not like the artwork that much. I hope that more books like this one will be made with different subjects in the future.
I usually stay away from non-fiction books of any kind. However, the cover and title intrigued me, so I decided to pick it up. I’ve never been more glad to have picked up a book.

The novel switches between different times, from 2020 to 1918 and so on. We see glimpses of young women today voting and the struggle that it took to get there. I can imagine the switches between different periods of time may seem confusing for some. Personally, I had no issues with it. I found it super easy to follow and keep up with. The differences in time and history was clear and trackable.

The graphic novel is a quick read, I flew through it. It doesn’t bore you with too many details and the story keeps moving. It was definitely fast paced and exciting.

The illustrations were so beautiful. I’m not sure if this the correct term for it, but it definitely had a watercolour type of feel to it. And it worked so well with the concept.

I can’t comment on the historical accuracy of the novel. I’m more familiar with the movement in New Zealand. I must say, I was so shocked to see that the right to vote took so long in America. It made me so much prouder of New Zealand for being the first self-governing country to introduce equal rights for voting. Go Kate Sheppard!

My favourite thing about this was that it didn’t just focus on the history of white women, but also considered POC. It frustrated me so much knowing it took so much longer for Black women and Native Americans to gain the same rights.

I don’t think this is a novel for historical experts who are looking for an informed read. This seems ideal for someone like me, who’s interested in an introduction or a skim through the timeline. I felt so empowered after this.

This was a compelling and empowering read that everyone needs to pick up. If I could afford it, I’d buy this for every young female out there to read, so we can be more grateful for the rights we have today. It’s super quick and an easy read, so there’s no excuse not to. Just do it.
Good Girls Don’t Make History by Elizabeth Kiehner and illustrated by Kara Coyle is a book every woman about to vote whether it be for the first time or the tenth time needs to read.

Yes it’s American history. Yes I am Canadian. Did I still get emotional and cry? Yes of course.

This book does a good job of giving you the most important facts and people and dates without too much sensory overload. The pacing is great for both the past and present scenes. I liked that they showed the current situation in America’s voting politics along with the history.

I actually learned a thing or two and was interested to learn about it. And that’s saying something since I barely paid attention during high school social studies. Just ask my teachers and friends, I was constantly asleep. Really. So for a book to keep me interested all the way about this topic is a big deal.

I think this book should be standard literature found at at high school in America and even Canada. This story is important. This fight is important.

Almost done I promise. Included inside are also the voices of black and indigenous women, and for that I am so thankful. It shows the reality of what WOC were facing alongside the white women. And spoiler alert, it was harder for WOC. Shocker, right?

Anyway please read this book no matter what gender you are, what nationality. It’s an important and interesting one. That we still need to learn from.

I even got a Jeopardy question right after reading this. And for that it’s getting 5 stars.
A great graphic novel, that is both informative and a work of art. This is a great read I would recommend any woman reading to better understand the history of the gender.
This is a beautifully drawn, impactful graphic novel narrating the women's suffrage movement in the United States. It does a wonderful job of connecting stories and events and presenting them in a succinct and hard-hitting way. I also liked that it included the contributions of black and native women's stories and not just the more well-known stories of white women although I do think that could have been expanded on more.

This is a great book and I really enjoyed and felt like I learned something from it.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Synopsis
“Good Girls Don’t Make History”, aims to tell history from a female point of view. Beginning in the 1840s, this graphic novel tells, and celebrates several women who dedicated their lives to the suffragette movement. While reflecting on the past, “Good Girls Don’t Make History”, also looks towards modern-day struggles to show how there is an ongoing need to fight for equality and justice.

Thoughts
💭Today, more than ever, (graphic) novels like this one are so important! This graphic novel focuses mainly on the American reality, that is, on the history of the suffragette movement established in the US, and also on present-day issues. I found this to be such an interesting concept, and one that could honestly be extended to tell the history of the suffragette movement in other national realities.

💭Intersectional Feminism. This is something that I think it’s incredibly important to highlight. The novel focuses on the fight for women’s enfranchisement, but at the same time acknowledges (and even emphasizes) that some people had to fight harder than others. While it is true that this novel recognizes that the experiences of Black and First Nations women are removed from history, I would have liked to see the novel focusing more on their stories and experiences.

💭The illustrations are just…*chef’s kiss*. I loved the watercolor texture of the illustrations, which is something that I haven’t seen much in graphic novels, but that complements perfectly the theme of this one.

Thank you to @netgalley, @quartobooksuk for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review!
Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group for an ARC of this book. All opinions in this review are my own.

This was an enjoyable, easily digestible book to read. It is written in comic book format, with quotes interspersed from various high profile women of the Equal Rights Movement, and it shows the progression & intersectionality of the movement over the past hundred plus years. It is a relatively short book, coming in at under 200 pages, so it can only go so in-depth, meaning many aspects of this movement are just touched on briefly, but this is a good starting place if you don't know much about women's suffrage or the E.R.A. ratification process. I don't think it should be a be-all-end-all source for learning about these topics, but it is definitely a nice source of material in a fun format.
A really good graphic novel about feminism and voting right's history.
I really like how the writers includes some moments in the present with the queue for voting to introduce and explain why it's so important to take time, even if it's seems long, for vote.
It allow to discover and know the women who fight for this right and for the progress towards equality. While remaining accessible to teenagers and young-adult who will be the voters of tomorrow.
graphically I like the draws and the colors, they were very pleasant and I really hope I will see it on paper soon !
In a nutshell: This is an educational and insightful graphic novel, but it is intended mainly for the US audience.
“Good girls don’t make history” is a creative reconstruction of the historical events related to women’s struggles to be enfranchised. The story is presented from the present timeline with the narrative going back to the past to recount anecdotes of the famous suffragists who fought for the rights till their very end. The content covers not just white women but also black and native American women who fought the same battle with greater struggles.

On the positive side, the book is inspiring and informative. It shows us how much we have to be grateful for to the courageous women (and men) of the past who were ready to speak against the status quo. People don’t realise that the suffragist movement wasn’t a fight for women’s rights but for equal rights. We all stand on the shoulders of those who came before us. This is especially true when it comes to human right movements of any kinds.

However, the back-and-forth timeline is a little confusing, especially as there is no background provided for any of the historical women. Jumping straight into the movement without knowing how they reached there is like starting a story from in between. It would have helped to know some informative details of the women or to have only one timeline presented in a chronological way, ending in the present. I also felt as if a certain foundational knowledge has been assumed by the book. In that sense, only American readers will benefit from the book as the rest will find a lot of missing gaps in the details provided.

The artwork is appealing. The whole book has a watercolour kind of look, lending a very different feel to the panels. It’s like the resilience of the women is reflected in the fluidity of the graphics. The illustrations are the biggest USP of this book.

The fight for women’s rights still goes on. Especially today, in the light of what is happening in Afghanistan, we realise that the struggle is never over. Some battles have been won; there are many more yet to be fought. Let’s remember what Abigail Scott Duniway said: "The young women of today, free to study, to speak, to write, to choose their occupation, should remember that every inch of this freedom was bought for them at a great price. It is for them to show their gratitude by helping onward the reforms of their own times, by spreading the light of freedom and of truth still wider. The debt that each generation owes to the past it must pay to the future.”

I loved the intent behind this book, I liked the content too. I just wish it were presented in a better, more easily comprehensible structure so that it could have been read by a wider audience in terms of age as well as nationality.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group for the ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Good Girls Don’t Make History, is a graphic semi non-fiction, where you are able to learn and discover about the women who fought to get the rights that women have today. Growing up in the UK we had our own women’s struggles and fight for our rights, so reading this and discovering what all types of women in America had to go through was a part of history I’m glad I now know a little better. That I now know a little bit more about individuals and what they had to do to have an impact.
graphic-novel, voting-history, historical-figures, historical-places-events, historical-research, history-and-culture, new-presentation*****

This well executed book makes it quite clear that the issues of women's suffrage is both historical and ongoing. While this is not news to some of us, it is definitely news to today's young citizens of the world. Very engaging format and appropriate to the target readers. WELL DONE!
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from Quarto Publishing Group – Wide Eyed Editions / Wide Eyed Editions via NetGalley. Thank you!
" For every woman who will get the right to vote, from this day on. may she know what sacrifices were made to get it and what power she had because of it."

Thank you to netgalley for providing me with a arc of this book.

This book was very inspiring and i liked it . It follows women during the 1900s and their fight for the right to vote. it taught me alot about the history of the US women's rights movement and it was a very fast and informing read.
Buy this book. The author did an amazing job in researching the suffragette movement. Along with the great research, she made a point of seamlessly explaining how important it is for women and the current battles to be fought. The artwork was phenomenal.

4.0 out of 5 stars
I loved this! The art style is gorgeous and it is very informative, while also being interesting and well written. I didn’t feel any connection to the characters, but it didn’t matter because that’s not what the story was trying to do. It was trying to educate in a fun way and it succeeded. Certainly a lot better than an essay.