Cover Image: Kamala Harris

Kamala Harris

I love this amazing series of little books, for children and adults, giving them a snapshot of a public person's life before they became famous and also some insights into what makes them the people they are today.  Keep them coming.
Another colourful edition to this wonderful collection.
Great to see more female books being released too.
I absolutely adore the Little People, Big Dreams series and this book, focusing on Kamala Harris, did not disappoint. In fact, I would say it’s up there with one of my favourite books in the series. Filled with glorious illustrations, these texts are a fabulous springboard for classroom discussion. I love how they cover such a broad range of famous faces, from scientists to musicians.

The story of Kamala Harris is an inspirational read. It gives details on her upbringing, showing how her early life experiences contributed to her views on equality and the importance of helping others. Her dual heritage is outlined and its importance is repeated a few times throughout the story. It outlines her legacy in breaking down barriers and celebrates the number of ‘firsts’ she achieved. It is an empowering story, told beautifully for readers of all ages. The illustrations feel bright, vibrant and full of life, like Kamala herself, and so match the story perfectly.

I will be using this book as part of my Person of the Week work in a Year 5 classroom and think it would be a welcome addition to any school bookshelf.  The messages about breaking down barriers, women’s rights, the value of education and the power of one voice should be shared with all young readers. Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
When my 8 year old daughter saw that new titles were being released by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara she was so excited to get the opportunity to review them. She has read all of the previous titles in our local bookshop and very much enjoys them. The author does a great job of providing facts about famous people past and present in a way that is interesting to children, informative and expands their knowledge of the world.

I would recommend these books for children aged 7-12 and would definitely give them 5 stars!!
Discover the lives of extraordinary people, from designers and artists to scientists. All of them achieved incredible things, yet each began life as merely a child with a dream. As a child, little Kamala marched for civil rights alongside her parents. She was encouraged to fight for justice and to make a difference in the world. From her career as a lawyer to her time spent as a US senator, to her historic election to the White House as Vice President, Kamala has lived a life of firsts. But she is determined that she won't be the last. This inspiring story of the groundbreaking politician features her life story and a facts and photo section towards the back.

It's an educational and entertaining read filled with vivid full-colour illustrations which empowers young ones to pursue their dreams without limitations and inspires them to dream bigger and realise their fullest potential by introducing them to extraordinary people throughout history. It's a wonderfully engaging and simple to understand book which also helps kids with literacy and fosters an enjoyment of reading. You simply cannot go wrong with this series in general as everything is executed perfectly and tailored beautifully to youngsters. There is just enough information to whet their appetite but not enough to overwhelm them. Highly recommended.
My thanks to Quarto Group - Francis  Lincoln Children’s Books for a temporary digital edition via NetGalley of ‘Kamala Harris’, written by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara and illustrated by Lauren Semmer in exchange for an honest review.

This little book is part of its publishers highly acclaimed ‘Little People, BIG DREAMS’ series of mini-biographies that introduce young readers, aged 4-7, to the lives and works of significant people including writers, artists, scientists, political figures and the like via books and educational games.

These books are always a pleasure to read given Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara’s skill in distilling the essence of a life - focusing upon their early childhood and how these dreams manifested.

Here, it is the turn of Kamala Harris, who is the first woman, Black person, and South Asian American to be elected vice president of the USA. It’s clear from the text that from a young age she has been committed to making sure that the most vulnerable in society are protected by justice. Extra material includes a biographical timeline with historical photos and suggestions for further reading.

Another key message running through the biography is the importance of education in setting the foundation for the realisation of dreams in adulthood. In addition, Kamala Harris’ life serves as an inspiration for girls and children of colour.

Lauren Semmer’s illustrations were outstanding, and I was especially impressed by her use of bright colours. It was a joyous visual experience.

Again, this is a wonderful series and one that I am sure will be of interest not only to parents but also educators and both school and public librarians.

Highly recommended.
Kamala Harris by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara is another release in the Little People, Big Dreams series, which I have reviewed frequently on here. I just love these little books. They are always packed with facts about the person who they are writing about and full of colourful illustrations throughout.

This book is about Kamala Harris used to accompany her parents to civil rights marches in California, strapped into her pushchair so she wouldn't get lost. From an early age, she dreamed of becoming a lawyer to help people in need. At university, Kamala felt like she could do anything and everything. She earned a law degree to make sure the most vulnerable were protected by justice. Kamala's life was full of firsts, including becoming the first woman, Black woman, and South Asian American to be elected vice president. As Kamala stated two little girls everywhere in her speech - she may be the first but she won't be the last.

This powerful book with historical photos and a detailed profile of the politician's life.

I found this little book full of easy to read, with great Illustrations throughout this small book.
It's one you should definitely buy for your little readers so they can learn about this wonderful Rock Star.
I am so glad these books are being published and I highly recommend all of these books

Many thanks to Frances Lincoln Children’s Books and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review
I read this last night with my 6 year old. While she enjoys learning about different people this was just that bit too old for her and contained a lot of things that she didn't understand.  We'll try again next year when she'll have a broader understanding of things as I think learning about Kamala Harris is something that all young girls should do. Books such as this mean that it can be taught to them from a much earlier age, although just turned 6 is apparently still just a little bit too young
The Little People, Big Dreams always choose worthy persons from around the world as their focus for their books and this one is no exception.  Kamala Harris is such a strong and powerful female role model and role model for Asian Americans and Black Americans. My girls love to read about successful women, who fight to make a difference. Kamala's fight for equality and justice is remarkable.  The story is told in short paragraphs,  accessible to early readers. The illustrations are bright and bold. A beautiful read. #littlepeoplebigdreams #kamalaharris #Netgalley #mariaisabelsanchezvegara
Kamala Harris was an activist from an early age and wanted to be lawyer when she grew up, so that she could help people. She became a lawyer, but not content with that, she became the first woman vice president, the first Black vice president and the first South Asian American vice president, showing a wide range of young people that they too can achieve their dreams.

I love the diversity of the people featured in this series. Artists, athletes, authors, activists, explorers, entertainers, musicians, scientists and now the first woman vice president of the US.

These biographies are age appropriate; inspiring and interesting, but not overwhelming. They have bright, beautiful illustrations, striking covers, and look great on a shelf together.

Thank you NetGalley and Frances Lincoln Children's Books for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
This series is simply stunning and ground breaking in so many ways and this book about the history maker Kamala Harris is wonderful. . Even as an adult I wait with eagerness for the next book to be released and to share the stories of these amazing people with those around me be they young or old. The books introduce the readers to people who often are only known by name and they give such a well researched and perfectly written snapshot of their lives which will inspire readers to go and find out more. A perfect educational book. It was a privilege to read this one about Kamala Harris who I had not heard of until the presidential elections but who is utterly inspirational.

With gratitude to the publishers and NetGalley for allowing me access to an arc of this amazing book.
This book about Kamala Harris which is part of the Little People Big Dreams series has beautiful illustrations and is relevant to current times unlike some in the series. The colours are engaging and the text is short but informative, ideal for young minds wanting to learn whilst also being inspiring. It is diverse and engaging - I would look to buy for little ones in my life.

Disclosure : Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read in exchange for an honest review.
This book is in the same style as others in the series and details Kamala’s upbringing, education and achievements. The pictures, as always, are vivid and eye catching. I particularly loved the one with Joe and Kamala on a bike wearing their masks!

Kamala’s story is an inspiring one, not just for children but for adults too. We learn how civil rights was a big part of Kamala’s life right from childhood as her parents met on a civil rights march. It highlights how proud she is of her Jamaican / Indian heritage and how she has always fought for the rights of the oppressed. The story goes as far as Kamala becoming the first woman and person of colour to serve as vice president and the highest elected Asian American ever.

I particularly loved the line “the girl who dreamed of being the first to do many things, but also made sure she wasn’t the last”.

Another fantastic addition to any collection.

You can read my full review at https://mmbbookblog.com/little-people-big-dreams-kamala-harris-review/
I just can't get enough of this book series!!

This book is brilliant!! Kamala Harris is a person I wasn't aware of until about a year ago, and the Joe Biden election. I'm sure she is probably more well known in the USA than the UK. So this book was really informative for me, as I really did not know about her life.
This book has made me respect and admire Harris even more!

Great book! Great series! Great person!
This is another brilliant addition to this series – even as an adult I look out for the next book in the series being released!

I love the images in this series and this is a delightful introduction to Kamala Harris.  I am in the UK and hasn’t heard of her until the Presidential Election but she has done so much that should be shouted about – and that is why I love this series!

This series is an excellent introduction to some of the well-known, and less well-known characters that have had a great impact in our lives through a variety of subjects such as literature, the rights of minorities, political influence, women's rights and science.  I love the variety of people chosen and how positive the books are.

It is 5 stars from me for this one – a delightful read and one I will be very highly recommending and it has made me want to read more about this fascinating lady!!
Thank you so much to Quarto/Frances Lincoln Children’s and Netgalley for the ebook to read and review.

It’s amazing reading just how many things she was a first of and how much she accomplished within her life. She’s a very strong, determined and goal orientated woman and never stopped dreaming and wanting to do everything in her power to help others. She’s now inspiring younger generations and that’s incredible.

As always in this series these books are inspiring and always easy to read, telling you the important story of an inspiring human but in smaller chunks. I’m so happy that Kamala Harris was given a book in this series.

If you love this series or you have a little dreamer that lives this series, this is one that needs to be added to your collection.
Kamala is an inspiration to many, and a sign of hope and change. I'm glad that this series covers important individuals in the present day.

It's important to read, not just if you're from the US, but from around the world.

As always, this book shows her path and illustrates what Kamala cares about the most - helping those in need. The people.