Cover Image: The Haunted Homecoming

The Haunted Homecoming

The Haunted Homecoming by Angie Fox

Homecoming weekend at Sugarland, Tenn. and ghost hunter, Verity Long, is tickled to see so many souls — living and dead — back in town to celebrate.

A very good story airy ghosts and their appearances.  Enjoyed this book.  Great characters.  Well-written.  I recommend this book.

Thanks to Net Galley for sending me an advanced reader’s copy for my review.
I always enjoy this cozy mystery series. Funny, adventurous and just a fun read. I highly recommend. Thank you to Netgalley for my digital advanced readers copy.
The latest stand alone in The Ghost Hunter’s Series. Author #Angie Fox writes fun novels. #The Haunted Homecoming is just delightful!💜🐾🐾
I highly enjoyed this cute mystery. Where else do you find a skunk as a pet, who happens to like to dress up in cute little outfits made by the main character's mother Tilly. Verity, the main character of these books solves mysteries with the help of a ghost named Frankie, that happens to be trapped due to Verity, sprinkling Frankie's ashes on a rosebush.
Thank you Netball eh for a chance to read this Advance reader's copy for a fair and honest review.
Southern charm and a warm gothic feel at their finest.

Angie Fox's latest entry in the Southern Ghost Hunters cozy series is dead on target! The Haunted Homecoming sees all our old pals back in action. It centers around the Homecoming for the Sugarland high school, and for once, Verity's mom makes an appearance. Oh boy, does she ever. Verity is planning her outfits for homecoming and menus for the family get together when Verity's mom Tilly throws her into a tizzy. Tilly tends to word vomit everyone's business right out to the general public, which puts Verity in harm's way as she tries to catch a killer in a Time Capsule mystery. Yes, that's a locked room kind of mystery, but with a corpse found in a time capsule instead.

As usual there's some help from our friendly neighborhood ghostly gangster, his lady love, Verity's sister and romantic partner. I loved that the whole story is light, cozy (as is the romance -- not going to make you gag on syrup or body parts throbbing and swelling unnaturally), and the very thing to make you happy as you curl up to finish it right before what should have been your bedtime. Even Lucy plays a good role, tolerating her "grandma's cute little skunk outfits). I never knew I needed a skunk in my life until I read this series. I like the interplay of characters who manage to feel real while keeping the mystery going, and not being too outrageously off base. I love the comedic aspects. I like the empathetic way those who have passed on, yet not fully, passed on, are handled. The ghosts are still people too! Even if you don't believe in ghosts and things that go BUMP in the night, this is an engaging and funny series with lots of heart.

In the end, the only thing that had bugged me was the inclusion of Tilly. She was necessary, and it was nice to see that she really exists! But she is the kind of person whom I'm rapidly develop the need to smack.  She talks too much, so much so that she even begins to drive her daughter away from her. Finally, though, she manages to rein herself and her flapping lips in a bit, and she becomes a better character for it. It's a small complaint overall. I really enjoyed this book and it was a quick, light hearted read that kept me up past my normal bedtime.

The book is part of a longer series In fact, it's book 10 of an 11 book series. You can read this book as a stand alone, like the rest, however it does make sense to start at the beginning of the series. Angie Fox does recap just enough (not too much) to get you up to speed on the local who's who of characters, and backstory to get started here. I recommend it for anyone with an interest in mysteries. especially Southern, supernatural, or featuring absolutely adorable pets.

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher, Author Collective 20 (Moose Island Books) for the free DRC of this title in exchange for my honest review.
I love this series and this addition was an enjoyable read. Verity is a great character and I loved her adventures in this Homecoming story.
Many thanks to Author Collective 20 and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
This series just keeps on going and I love it with its cast of great lovable characters Verity and her pet skunk and of course her ghost Franki ya never know what’s gonna happen next, I already pre ordered her next book …….all the books in this series you can’t put it down ………
The Haunted Homecoming is the 10th Southern Ghost Hunter cozy mystery by Angie Fox. Released 16th Aug 2021, it's 296 pages and is available in paperback, audio, and ebook formats. It's worth noting that the ebook format has a handy interactive table of contents as well as interactive links throughout. I've really become enamored of ebooks with interactive formats lately.

This is a very lighthearted paranormal cozy with an ensemble cast of quirky characters and a protagonist who has a skunk for a pet and a dead zoot-suited gangster housemate whom she accidentally bound to her house when she unknowingly buried his ashes in the rosebushes in the garden. The book is set in the fictive town Sugarland Tennessee and is full of sweet tea, southern charm, football homecomings, monster trucks, and grits.

It's told in first person PoV and the author manages to move the narrative along without info dumping or dragging the action out. The dialogue is typical for southern cozies; full of slightly precious turns of phrase and catty swipes wrapped in good manners (bless your heart). It manages not to shade over into meanness and sniping, but it definitely bears a fair bit of southern style and vernacular.

This is definitely a niche subgenre, but fans of southern paranormal small-town cozies will find a lot to like here. Although it's the 10th book in the series, it works perfectly well as a standalone and readers coming into the series with this book won't have trouble following the action. For fans of Cleo Coyle's Haunted Bookshop cozy series, this one is much the same, without the noir aspects, and with a bonus pet skunk for charm.

Four stars.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review
This was such a cute, cozy, quick and easy readthat was a murder mystery combined with romance, and was everything that my soul needed. Well written with good characters and a good storyline, I cannot wait to read more.
Angie Fox adds another hit to the growing list of fantastic books. This was such a great cozy murder mystery with just the right amount of romance. I'm glad to see that Verity and Elis are doing great and that the series is not dependent on their relationship. And as much as I liked seeing Verity take on Ellis' mother, Virginia, and become friendly again with Beau, Ellis' brother and ex-fiancé, in past books, I really enjoyed that they were absent from this book. I'm glad we got to meet Melody and Verity's mother, Tilly, especially since this book revolved around the death of Tilly's friend Ashley. Lucy of course was as cute as ever! (Don't you ever scare me like that again! You will know what I mean when you read this one.) Frankie is of course Frankie. Unfortunately not a lot of progress has been made with releasing Frankie from his urn prison, but we wouldn't have all this craziness if they did. Highly recommended!
Verity Long is excited to spend Homecoming week with her mom and her mom is excited to see her bff from high school.

Everyone in town is looking forward to opening the time capsule buried at the end of Verity's mom's senior year. It was supposed to stay buried a hundred years but is going to be opened early due to the construction of a new stadium.  When the time capsule is opened, the body of Verity's mom's BFF is found inside. Verity, her mom, her ghost friends and live friends all do their parts to solve the murder.

I loved the book and look forward to many more.
This is book 10 in the Southern Ghost Hunter Mystery series and it can be read as a stand alone but you might need some previous points from the other books.  Verity is happy her mother and step-dad are returning to Sugarland for a grand homecoming celebration.  They are opening a time capsule a few years early because it was dug up to expand the football stadium. Everyone is eager to see what was buried.  Now Verity has found a dead body and the ghost are coming out to help solve the mystery.  This is a fun and light hearted read. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Verity and Frankie are at it again. Verity's mother lost her best friend from high school so she is home for homecoming in hopes of seeing her. Verity sees her spirit first. Now how did she die and her best friend have no clue she didn't just run away? Meanwhile Frankie and Molly are having relationship issues. Melody is exciting to see what is in a time capsule and finding new love. Verity's mom can't keep a secret to save her soul. So much going on in this book.  Loved it!
Angie Fox has done it again! The Haunted Homecoming, book 10 in the series is a great cozy mystery you will not be able to put down until the very end. A great storyline and well-crafted characters make this cozy novel a must-read.
I absolutely LOVE this series.
 Verity and Frankie have a very "unique" bond and Lucy the skunk makes these books even better!
 This time around another mystery is solved using Frankie's powers and Verity's mystery solving skills.
  A fast, interesting read that you will not want to put down!!!!
3.5 stars

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review this book.

This series by Angie Fox is a cute series if you are into cozy ghost stories that are quirky, fun, and a quick read.  The series starts with Verity's mom back in town for the Sugarland Homecoming. The series sets into motion when a time capsule is opened and a body of a young girl is found inside.  The dead girl is Ashley, the best friend of Tilly (Verity's mom).

Tilly decides to help Verity and Frankie find out what happened to Ashely and how she was killed.

Frankie has more pressing matters on his mind, like his relationship with Molly, and takes more of a backseat in helping Verity solve Ashley's murder.

This series does have a cliffhanger, in that it segues into the next book.  We don't know what was found in the time capsule that has a direct bearing on Frankie, so we will have to wait until the next book.

I always enjoy Angie Fox's books and this Is perfect for a very light read.  This book is also appropriate for tweens and young adults, as you have no nudity or profanity.
The plot of the book was such a great page turner. The plot of the book was very well written. I  truly cannot wait to read another wonderful book from this truly great  author. This was a truly great book.
What another wonderful cozy mystery. If you need a good mystery with no gore then this is the way to go. Spooky goodness!
The Haunted Homecoming by Angie Fox is the 10th The Southern Ghost Hunter Mystery.  It can be read as a standalone, but you will be missing out on a delightful series.  I look forward to reading a new Verity and Frankie book each year and so does my mother.  When she heard I had gotten The Haunted Homecoming, she insisted I download it on her device.  I thought The Haunted Homecoming was easy to read with developed characters and plenty of humor.  I laughed often while reading this entertaining tale (and so did my mother).  Verity must deal with her mother who insists on telling people every detail of her life (especially the embarrassing stories and stuff Verity wants kept secret like her ghost hunting adventures).  Frankie, of course, is up to no good.  He has a Cuban mobster gunning for him which has Frankie plotting a way to get even.  The mystery was fun to follow.  A cold case has Verity questioning her mother’s old classmates—those alive and those who have passed.  Verity had plenty of “help” from her mother.  Verity’s mother provided many laugh-out-loud moments that included Lucy’s wearing a cheerleading outfit with a bow for her head and a wreath for Frankie’s shed.  The author ended the book on a cliffhanger which has me eager to read Give Up the Ghost. You cannot help but love a book that makes you laugh and smile.  The Haunted Homecoming is witty tale with an aggrieved girlfriend, a killer Cuban, a rumormonger mother, a freaked-out Frankie, a lovable Lucy, and a vexed Verity.
This is a cute murder/ghost story.  It was quick and easy to read, the characters were fun and the plot a bit predictable. This is a great book if you just want something light and fluffy to read!  Would recommend.