Cover Image: The Coffinmaker’s Garden

The Coffinmaker’s Garden

What a fantastic series this is by Stuart MacBride. Filled with dark humour, excellent characterisation and a brilliant plot. There is violence and a dark subject matter but touches of humour and a creative piece of writing make this an easy 5* from me. I would highly recommend reading this series featuring ex cop, Ash Henderson. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
Another irreverent page turner from the pen of Stuart MacBride, featuring once more the dastardly, engaging Ash Henderson and a gang of misfits with two killers to catch.

You'll spend your reading time snorting with laughter at totally inappropriate stuff, whilst addictively turning the pages to get to the next hugely compelling plot development. Ironic, sarcastic and utterly authentic The Coffinmakers Garden has a serial killer like no other and a case that will test Ash to his admittedly very touch limits.

Highly Recommended.
It is always exciting to find a new author that you love reading with a sweetie jar of books to pick from.  I am already a fan of  Val McDermid and Robert Galbraith’s writing which has a similar vibe. The Coffinmaker’s Garden was a thrilling read which kept me turning the pages.  The right amount of mystery and gory details with engaging characters. I love it.
Wow! This book is amazing.  Totally had me gripped from start to finish and it was so fast paced that it was exhausting - but in a really good way.   Love the characters in this series and can't wait to find out what happens next.  Brilliant writing all the way through.  Loved it.
Great writing, great characters and a great storyline. Time to clear your schedule for the afternoon, coffee pot on and phone turned off - you won’t want to put this one down.
A creepy crime thriller. On a stormy night, consulting ex-DI Ash Henderson is called to an abandoned house teetering on a Scottish cliff edge due to erosion, when human remains are discovered. But before they can be examined the house falls into the sea. Quick-thinking Ash manages to recover some trophy photos and is soon on the trail of a serial -killer. A dark plot sprinkled with MacBride's humour.
The Coffinmakers Garden by Stuart MacBride

This is the first Stuart MacBride book I've read , Can you say you found it gruesome and gory but also amusing ? Never read a book that had all that before !  I think I enjoyed it , it was certainly very different from the usual crime novels I've read before..
As I was reading this I realised that it was part of a series and I had jumped in after a few before this one . I will certainly go back and start at the beginning
I enjoyed the main characters Ash Henderson ,, DS Rosalind  Franklin and Dr Alice McDonald and thought they made a great team.
All in all , a good gripping read.
As much as I love the Logan Macrae series, I have really struggled to like Ash Henderson. The previous stories were good but the character never sat well. It's all changed in this book. Maybe it's because the murdered daughter storyline is resolved (as much as losing a child can be resolved, it is still prevalent in this book) and we've moved on a few years and it's a wholly new serial killer (two actually, we are spoilt here) with no personal attachments but this book feels like a breath of fresh air after the first two. Ash is likeable and I wanted to know more. Granted he's still a thug and very dodgy and has very little morals but this time his character worked for me.

There's a lot of violence, it's not a cosy crime by any means so steer clear if you like your crime glossed over but there's also a lot of humour there and the relationships are solid and great to see and the new ones continue to develop nicely. I feel like this is the one where everything comes together for me and I'm glad I didn't give up on the series.