Cover Image: After Beth

After Beth

No one who has lost a loved one could not be very moved by this book. The way of measuring time, the “before” or “after” is a very familiar one.
Caitlin and all the characters were extremely well written and believable, all very true to life, with very accurate behaviour.
I loved it.
A really emotional read which explores the aftermath of a family tragedy.  Incredibly well written with great characters.  Highly recommended.
This is a well written book
You will need the tissues
But you will want to get to the end of this emotional book
Thanks NetGalley
An emotionally charged book about grief.and loss.  Cate and Patrick's lives are torn apart when their teenager daughter Beth dies in a drowning accident just before leaving for college.  The book follows the 18 months initially after her death and the slow torturous healing of letting go.
Elizabeth Enfield does a wonderful mix of sensitivity, poignancy and heartbreak,  engaging the reader so much so that I was grieving Beth along with the family. Her character was brought so much to life she was.leaping from the pages. Having lost someone recently I know the pain of grief and she captured it magnificently. Read this one but have the tissues to hand .
An emotional, heart-wrenching read.  When Beth dies in tragic circumstances, how does her mother Cate continue on?  The story follows the path of grief to self-discovery and eventually a new kind of happiness.  Brilliantly written and whilst a very sad subject it poses the theory that you can come out the other side stronger.
Beautiful, poignant and a very special read. I am not sure I have enough words to describe this book, heartbreaking yet full of hope. Fabulous.
Oh my goodness I’ve just finished this emotional book with tears in my eyes, it will really pull at your heartstrings and maybe make you realise how precious life is.

Cate receives the news no parent wants to hear. Her beautiful daughter Beth has been in an accident. What started off as a carefree summer day had turned into something completely different. A parents love knows no bounds and Cate goes through so much as circumstances take over and she faces the reality of losing her daughter.

Patrick her estranged husband steps up and supports Cate as they both struggle with their own grief. I loved how they found comfort in the shared experiences of being parents.

To loose someone you love is heartbreaking. The death of your child is unimaginable, Grief presents itself in many ways, denial, anger, what ifs, depression and acceptance. I have personally experienced it myself recently and I can relate to many of the emotions and feelings which were so well portrayed in the book.

Reading this book gave me hope. Sometimes I feel like life seems to be going on all around me and I’m still hurting deeply but as the book reaffirms those we love never die they live on in our hearts and memories.

Death is part of life and it will touch us all at some point. This book explored love, loss and the importance of family. I recommend reading this powerful moving book which will make you hold your loved ones close, enjoy every day and have no regrets. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for my chance to read this highly relatable book.
What a beautiful but poignant story about a mother who loses her daughter, Beth, when she is just 18 in a tragic accident.  The central characters are Cate, Beth’s mother and the story is told through her eyes.  We suffer every emotion with her and can feel the extent of her grief.  Cate is separated from Patrick, Beth’s father and this is another cause of sorrow for Cate, who still loves him.  Although they are separated they really need each others support to survive this tragedy.  We get a strong feeling of who Beth was from the anecdotal flashbacks throughout the book which paint a picture of a clever, funny and personable teenager.  Although this is obviously a very sad story it is also life affirming as we see how Cate deals with all her emotions over a length of time.  It is a story of love and family and you can’t help but be moved by it.  I strongly recommend it.  Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC of this lovely book.
Ah this book! It’s a heart wrenching, beautifully written exploration of grief. It’s sensitive, honest and warm. It’s hard to do the book justice in a review
This was such a beautiful read! Sad but yet uplifting. There were so many small things in this book that touched my heart and also made me wipe away a few tears. The bad-news room was spot on! I also had to sit in 1.
I think it is an important read for anyone who's lost a loved one. It is a book about love and loss; about how we carry on after we've lost someone we loved. How do you cope with the pain while life is carrying on around you?
"It’s not always possible to change your life but you can change your attitude to it. The key to happiness lies in accepting the cards you’ve been given and learning how to make the most of them."

"People don’t cease to exist when they die, only when you stop remembering them"

Honour the memories of the people you've lost and never forget them but also appreciate the people who love you and tell them every day what they mean to you because tomorrow might be too late.

"Do not stand at my grave and weep I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain. I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night. Do not stand at my grave and cry; I am not there. I did not die." Mary Elizabeth Frye

Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Michael Joseph for the privilege to read this beautiful book in exchange for my honest opinion
This is such a beautiful book.
It is about a mother dealing with the loss of her only daughter, but it is not a sad book. It is about grief and anger and loss, and coming to terms with these things. It is about family and love and being a parent.

This book is so beautifully written that it makes the heart swell, even as it breaks when Beth dies. Despite the title and nature of the book, you find yourself praying for a miracle to save Beth, and it’s awful when she dies.

I raced through After Beth, it’s delightful. I will definitely be looking out for other books by this author. .
Gosh, I’ve not read a book that has made me cry this much in at least a decade. And yet, through the buckets of tears, I couldn’t put it down and was totally absorbed in this beautiful and powerful story. A story I hope I never have to experience myself, and have the utmost respect and sympathy for anyone that has. Enfield has written so respectfully and beautifully about losing a child, and despite not wishing such an unimaginable tragedy on anyone- it was a lovely and engaging story to read.
After Beth by Elizabeth Enfield is an absorbing and amazing account of living in the wake of a tragedy. Rather than being horribly sad and focused on death and loss, it is actually an affirmation of life and the celebration of living, albeit a short life.

It is beautifully written and the characters are so well created that it’s been a pleasure to read. I thoroughly recommend it.

My thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Books for the opportunity to read it.
Oh such a moving, emotional book that left my heart in pieces! Thanks for the opportunity to read and review this book.
An emotional read about the loss of a beloved daughter that dies in her late teens. I found it heart wrenching to read this not least because my daughter is this same age. However the details are dealt with very sensitively and the effects on all those connected are well portrayed. I enjoyed the ending as it left us on a realistic but uplifted note.
Heartbreaking and poignant, an excellent story that move me to tears and kept me reading.
I loved the excellent storytelling, the fleshed out characters and the empathy of the author toward the characters.
It's an important book about grief and how to deal with it.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
A moving book about the aftermath of the death of Beth, who was about to enter adult life. An emotional read.
An emotional and, at times, heartbreaking book.  A real roller coaster at the beginning morphing into heartfelt bereavement and grief.  Despite all the sadness surrounding the main story there is a lot of heartwarming love and support with gaps to show the way forward through the heartbreak.  Very sensitively and well written making it quite a lovely read despite the subject of loss.
This is a gripping and very emotional read about how grief and loss affect so many people in a family.
Caitlyn’s 18 year old daughter, Beth, on the cusp of going to University with her friends, dies in a tragic drowning accident.  All members of her family show how her loss is felt, and how they all pull together initially, and then, some reassess their futures.
I read this through the eyes of a Nurse, who has had experience of looking after patients on life support, the tests that have to be carried out daily to assess functional ability, and the stresses and skills needed to communicate with parents and family members as their hopes and dreams are slowly extinguished.
The difficulties of declaring brain death has been well documented in some sensational cases, headlines shriek of people who made full recoveries despite Drs. declaring they wouldn’t survive. There is always the hope for a miracle, children have been removed from hospital care here, in order to undergo experimental treatments abroad, and that is their right, but, I personally feel it is an unkind delusion. Brain death is diagnosed exactly as in the book, plus extra fail safe procedures are performed.
How life goes on afterwards is well described here, the intense guilt , did I give in too easily, what if the doctors got it wrong, why is everyone else moving on with life, whilst I am stuck here mourning my child, very emotive, and heart breaking. Some bereaved families want their loved ones life to benefit others, by organ donation, believe me, that is such a difficult conversation at such a time, very tricky, we are sometimes compared to body snatchers. Others do fund raise for memorial gardens, benches in a pretty seating area, others go into campaigns and do booklets that help people through the first few days, weeks and years of grief, who to contact, and it is normal to feel you will never recover, but you will.
I teach end of life care and this book will be a modern way of reinforcing this difficult subject, for young nurses. A five star read. I will purchase a few for the hospital library in the next teaching year.
My thanks go to Netgalley, and publisher’s Penguin Michael Joseph, for my ARC in return for my honest review. I will leave reviews to Goodreads and other outlets later.
This is an intimate journey into a Mother's grief, and the grief of those around her too. The world keeps spinning despite a tragic loss and Elizabeth Enfield captures the rollercoaster emotions of navigating it with one less person in it. Sensitively and carefully, she writes the highs and lows of Cate's journey - firmly highlighting that grief is not a 'one size fits all' sort of emotion. The book will break your heart - but it's also uplifting at the same time. There's not a great light at the end of the tunnel, but little gaps all the way through - this book shows you where they are.