Cover Image: A Haunting at Holkham

A Haunting at Holkham

I read this ARC for an honest review
All thoughts and opinions are mine

I read this on the back of having read the author's memoir

Having really enjoyed that, I was pleased to be able to read this

Really enjoyed it
A Haunting at Holkham by Anne Glenconner is a great post WWII historical mystery that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I loved that this historical fiction/mystery incorporates biographical information from the Author’s own childhood, and takes those inspired moments, people, and memories and creates a narrative with: creative characters, fascinating locations/buildings/events, and wraps it all up into an engaging and entertaining story.

Here we follow a younger Anne while she is at Holkham Hall as she attempts to sleuth her way into a resolution into her grandfather’s questionable death (at least in her mind). Anne is determined to get to the bottom of several mysteries despite the obstacles of the Hall’s other inhabitants, her age, and obvious obstacles.

I really liked the balance of fact and fiction and the Author’s note at the end helped give perspective on what was reality vs inspiration for the story.

I thoroughly enjoyed her memoir, Lady in Waiting, so I am pleased to say that I also think she has a real talent as an author of fiction as well.

4/5 stars

Thank you NG and Hodder & Stoughton for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.
What an Epic read!

Anne’s grandfather is found dead at the bottom of the stairs...
Resident ghost, Lady Mary, is to be blamed...
Is there a connection between Miss Lavender Crane and fake family jewellery? And why has a certain local person not been seen for days?

Anne is determined to find out the truth behind her grandfathers death.

I live not far from Holkham, and after this epic read, I’d love to visit
Firstly my thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

Oh, what a let-down. I had been so looking forward to reading this third book by Anne Glenconner, having really enjoyed Lady in Waiting and Murder on Mustque, both of which were excellent. Reading about Anne as a young girl, and then later when she was on the verge of being presented at Court, may suit a younger audience who enjoy the thrills of ghosts and a wicked governess. It’s a welll-rounded story, largely based on fact, but lacks maturity in the telling.