Cover Image: We Were Never Here

We Were Never Here

A cookie cutter thriller, I can see why it was Reese's Book Club pick of the month but it didn't set my world alight and I didn't feel very invested in the outcomes for any characters.
TW: graphic violence
A tale wrapped around female friendships. Two different women whose lives diverge, Emily and Kristen, take annual holidays. This time to Chile and a man ends up dead. Was it murder, self-defence, suicide? Who was responsible and who do you trust?

Not surprised that this was optioned as a movie. Not convinced that it works as well as a novel.

Nevertheless, fun and thank you for the opportunity to read.
This was a weird one for me.  I myself have been the Emily in a toxic friendship (obviously not to this extreme) so I was drawn to this book.  I could really empathise with Emily's guilt of wanting to distance herself from Kristen but eventually I got frustrated as I just wanted her to be stronger. (I guess I didn't have the threat of murder charges hanging over my head). I felt that it dragged a lot during the middle part of the story and I also didn't like the ending.  There didn't feel like any closure or culpability.
There was no big twist as I'm sure most readers would know the truth far quicker than Emily worked it out, justice didn't happen at the end and also we never really did find out the truth about certain things from the past.
Such a shame as could've been a really great story.
***Maybe it's because I had an advanced copy but throughout the book a lot of words were incomplete, words that had an F and an I in had those letters missing. eg the word confident would show as "condent" I found it very hard at first but eventually got used to it as it was throughout the entire book.
#NetGalley #WeWereNeverHere
Two women on a back packing holiday - one ends up with a dead man in her room.  Unfortunate? Indeed - but when it happens twice, questions do need to be answered. I was excited by this start but then the pace slackened, the characters became irritating and there were so many twists and turns that I found myself muttering 'Get on with it'.

The creepy, coercive friendship is described and exampled so many times that although there was tension I couldn't work out why the characters were still in the same situation. I did finish it so in my rating rules that means it gets two stars - but even the end, presumably meant to make you gasp with astonishment, made me shrug my shoulders and say 'meh'.  The woolly ending didn't annoy me - mainly because I just didn't care enough.
This book was quite uncomfortable to read at times such was the level of writing describing the toxic relationship between Emily and best friend Kirsten. However I felt that the same level of writing didn't lend itself to the actual.story. The plot was intriguing enough but there were areas where timings seemed off or more depth was needed. Unfortunately I disliked the end and found that it didnt at all live up to the pace of the rest of the book.
This book had me hooked from the moment I picked it up!

The twists and turns between Emily and Kristen make this story a real page turner. Needing to know what happened next! Making you think who is actually right? And the endingโ€ฆ what should you believe?

This book is definite must for anyone who loves a page turning suspense novel.

A huge thanks to NetGalley Publishers for an early eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A story of a toxic friendship

What would you do if your travel buddy was found in a hotel room with a dead man?

Fast paced and chatty writing style

reads like a YA thriller to me

Very young and modern writing style which lent itself well to the plot
I loved the premise of this but struggled to really get into it or to find it Terri le realistic. That said, it's a fiction book so doesn't really have to be realistic. It was a good view into a really toxic friendship though but I just couldn't get into it for some reason and found it lacking. Luckily it's not terribly long so it's fine for a quick read
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Not my favourite read of the year, it started off well, the premise was good, I just found it lacking in places.
This book had a strange structure to it and I struggled to get in to it despite the interesting plot. The characters were not very well written either. Overall it was rather disappointing.
This was an amazing read. It was well written with an enchanting storyline and well developed characters. It was fast paced and twisty and when I thought I knew what was happening or what was coming, I was always wrong. It was so unpredictable and the ending left me on the edge of my seat. I loved it.
โ€˜๐™„โ€™๐™™ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™ค๐™ช๐™œ๐™๐™ฉ ๐™ฌ๐™š ๐™–๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™ง๐™–๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™š๐™™ ๐™ซ๐™ž๐™ค๐™ก๐™š๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฌ๐™๐™š๐™ฃ ๐™ฌ๐™š ๐™œ๐™ค๐™ฉ ๐™ฉ๐™ค๐™œ๐™š๐™ฉ๐™๐™š๐™ง, ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ข๐™š๐™๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™ฅ๐™ช๐™ก๐™ก๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™š๐™ฃ๐™š๐™ง๐™œ๐™ฎ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™˜๐™๐™–๐™ค๐™จ, ๐™ค๐™› ๐™ฅ๐™ค๐™ค๐™ง ๐™™๐™š๐™˜๐™ž๐™จ๐™ž๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™จ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™–๐™ฌ๐™›๐™ช๐™ก ๐™™๐™ช๐™™๐™š๐™จ.โ€˜

~

It did take me a little while to get into, Iโ€™m not sure wether it was getting used to the writing style or how descriptive everything was. That being said, the story gets stuck straight into the action and doesnโ€™t mess around with hitting you with the big stuff.

The plot was interesting and kept you guessing and constantly wondering what was going on, who was actually responsible, are they going to get caught?! Sometimes I did feel parts slightly repetitive and did feel myself skim reading in areas.

Red herrings thrown in along the way to throw you off the scent all the time, this definitely helped to build up to the end. The ending was a surprise, I thought it would go one way and it definitely went somewhere else entirely.

I enjoyed the book, it was clever and well written. However for me personally, something just didnโ€™t click - hence the rating.

โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ

#WeWereNeverHere #AndreaBartz #NetGalley
An enticing story where you think you can easily predict the plot but you never anticipate all the endings tied up at the end of the book and infact the final page leaves you with more questions as to what to truly believe.

Following the story of 2 friends from college who travel to interesting places such as Cambodia and Chile.....however they have far from a normal holiday.  Unfortunate events result in 2 men dead and the bodies needing to be hidden.

What happens next is a constant page turner of wanting to now what happens next.......how the friendship develops and the power struggles and questions raised within the friendship.

Recommended for those who enjoy a page turner, suspense novel.

This is was an ARC from netgalley in return for my honest review.
An interesting look at the dynamics of female friendships. Emily and Kristenโ€™s lives are diverging, but they still go on their annual trip away together, this time to Chile. Whilst there, their friendship is tested as a fellow traveller is killed, supposedly in self defence. Thought-provoking and a scary reminder that we can never really know other people as well as we know ourselves.
First of all, I found this book to be very entertaining and I really enjoyed it!
Right from the start I didn't trust the character of Kristen and this kept me reading as I wanted to see if my suspicions were right and as the plot had me hooked, I wanted to see how it would all play out.
One thing that let this book don't slightly was the pacing.
I felt it was OK but it could have been a little faster for my taste. However as this book is only 300 pages long, it was the perfect length and it didn't need to be any longer.
Also, that cover is just gorgeous.
If you are looking for an intense thriller about toxic female friendship this is one I would definitely recommend for you!
I will 100% be reading what this author writes next.
This started off as an interesting book with a good premise and I thought it had a lot of potential. However, I ended up not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. The storyline was quite predictable and it wasnโ€™t written in a way that could lead me down twists and turns away from what I knew would be the ending. A lot of missed potential but an ok, average book that readers will probably like well enough as a quick, easy read.
This story had me absolutely gripped from the moment I picked it up! The twists and turns between Emily & Kristen kept me guessing constantly. After their trip has a fatal turn the consequences are far reaching and extremely complex. It definitely makes you question who is in the right several times, and your allegiances will switch! I can't wait to see the adaptation!
I was incredibly bored at the beginning, slightly interested in the middle, and mostly bored again at the end. I did finish it, and the cliffhangers and the end of chapters made me want to keep reading, however the story line was not for me.

Note: I do know people who loved this though, and the two female leads are a big selling point, but it wasn't something I personally enjoyed.
Emily and her best friend Kristen are on a trip to Chile; so far so good - but on the last night , Emily finds blood everywhere in their hotel room, what has happened?  Kristen says the backpacker she'd been flirting with attacked her, and she had no choice but to kill him. They move on and go back home, where Emily and Kristen drift apart from one another. A surprise meet up means Emily has to face what happened that night.

Im afraid this wasnt really the book for me, a bit too graphic and a bit too far fetched for my taste; I didnt warm to anyone or really care what happened.
Thanks for the chance to read it but its not one I will come back to.
A thriller, a taut female friendship, possible murder, dealing with trauma, claustrophobic writing and settings - this tense novel had it all.

Unfortunately it was nothing groundbreaking and I had trouble with the pacing here and there (and some of the writing), but overall an easily read, page-turning book that didn't disappoint. It just didn't do anything exciting for me either.

Big thanks to NetGalley, Penguin Michael Joseph UK, and the author for the e-ARC. Available now!