Cover Image: My Daughter's Mistake

My Daughter's Mistake

Just so very beautiful. Poignant. Heart breaking. I cried reading this beautiful book. Such an emotional story. Just wow.
I love Kate Hewitt’s books. They are always quite emotional but I still can’t resist them.

Ellen receives a call from her teenage daughter, Maddie. who has had an accident. The victim is 6-year-old Amy Rose who is quickly rushed to hospital in critical condition. Through the chapters, we see Ellen struggling to support her daughter. She is worried about Amy Rose but as Maddie’s mother, she still has to put her daughter first. On the other hand, the second narrator is Jenna, Amy’s mother. Through her narrative, we follow Amy to the hospital and see doctors try to save her as her mother helplessly stands on the side. She is hurt, angry and scared. Ellen and Jenna are devastated by the position that their daughters are in. However, the 2 women are also hiding secrets. Worse still, Maddie is also hiding a secret about the accident.

This was a well-narrated story. The two women were quite relatable. I can’t imagine what they were going through but can totally understand the need to protect one’s child at all costs. Such a heartbreaking story overall but I enjoyed the themes of family, forgiveness and motherhood. I was intrigued by all the secrets and the final twist was as beautiful as it was heart-wrenching.
A book that makes you think what you as a parent would do if you child was in a similar situation.  I really enjoyed this book, it did take a little while to get in to it and I figured out the twist quite early on but it was a good read and has lots of interesting characters.  It was a bit predictable with what happened to her brother but a nice easy read that I would recommend to others.
What an emotional book. It was very hard to put this book down during everyday life. A book of loss, heartache, love, & redemption.

A must read for sure, it drew me in and didn't let go!
A heartbreaking yet beautiful story of a tragedy that could happen to any family, and a nightmare come true for any parent of a teenager. One of your worst fears becomes a reality, your child has been in an accident, yet when you find out your child caused the accident and potentially killed another child - that's where this story begins to unravel. I felt the mothers pain at all times, broken apart and torn for her daughter and the rest of her family, yet desperate to uncover the truth she knows lies behind her daughters sadness and distress.
This was a story that could affect anyone, yet told in a way that you are constantly holding your breath wondering what the truth is, who is at fault, how will it end?

I really enjoyed this book, I have read previous Kate Hewitt books, and always enjoyed them. This one did not disappoint.
This was a very dramatic novel discussing the power of a mother's love, no matter the circumstances. The story is presented from a dual point of view of two mothers that are heartbroken at the circumstances throwing their daughters literally on a collision course. A great read!
Lovely read, not something I usually go for but kept me reading throughout. Look forward to reading more from this author
What a great book. Distracted me from everything going on in life. I will read absolutely everything she writes. Highly Recommend!
I think every parent worries when they get that call from their child asking them to come, especially when they are just beginning to drive. This is what happens to Ellen, a college professor in the small, idyllic town of Milford. She gets a call from her seventeen year old daughter, Maddie that she needs her. Ellen arrives at the scene to see a young girl being taken away in an ambulance, and Maddie's car up on the curb. Maddie is sitting on the side of the road, and admits she hit the little girl, who ran out in front of her. Six year old May Rose, is rushed to the hospital with head trauma. My Daughter's Mistake is told from the points of view of the two mothers, Jenna, a single mother of the beautiful six year old Amy Rose; and Ellen - mother of the vulnerable Maddy. This is the story of two families torn apart by this tragic accident.

Kate Hewitt's book is heartbreaking, especially as it is something that could happen to any family. The characters are real and relatable, and I could feel what both of these families were going through. I felt sick for Jenna and what she was going through, yet Ellen was also heartsick for her daughter and fearful about what would happen.

As always in her books, Hewitt presents us with a situation that could befall any of us. Her characters are very real and I could not help but experience all the emotions of the characters - I seesawed in my sympathy between Jenna and Ellen - but I also felt their love, their loss, their fear and their anger. A master of family dynamics, Hewitt also involves the fathers, the siblings, and grandparents, friends and work colleagues in a story that will leave you emotionally drained but satisfied. Jenna's and Ellen's lives couldn't have been more different, but in a moment, what they now have in common is that they would do anything to protect their child. All the secondary characters play a role, siblings, other parents, as well an the town gossips. Everyone seems to take a side. Jenna was a great character. She is flawed, but is loyal and loving and not afraid to accept responsibility, even if she shouldn't. I really enjoyed this well-written book. The story was tense, and I wasn't sure what would happen next. Both mother's have secrets that I wondered about. The backstories added much to the plot and gave insight into what might happen next. Kate Hewitt included themes of alcoholism, abuse, mental health issues, anorexia, suicide and criminality. This is a novel I definitely recommend.
Jenna doesn't know what hit her when her daughter is hit by a car. She's beside herself when Amy Rose is taken to the hospital because she is unresponsive. Ellen is the mother of a seventeen year old daughter, Maddie that hit the little girl. They are both bad and good mothers. They are both suffering for different reasons. They lash out at each other but will their hatred win?
This book was fast paced and an incredible adrenal rush. The characters were believable. The author took the time to know them and write with authority.
Unputdownable is what this book is.
Oh my goodness, what an emotional story this is. Two mothers lives become entwined through the actions of their daughters. I thoroughly recommend this book with a box of tissues nearby.
Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me the opportunity to read an ARC of this amazing book
Your tension will rise as you read My Daughter’s Mistake. Ms Hewitt has an excellent grasp of the trials a parent can with a teenage daughter and the fear a parent of a small child will grapple with when her child is seriously injured. I could not put the book down.
Beautiful story told by two mothers; the mother of the little girl hit by the car, and the mother of the teenager who was driving the car that hit her.  The teenage driver was hiding behind a major secret during most of the story.  The ending was a complete suprise!   Loved this book.
EXCERPT: Glancing at Amy Rose lying so still, I reach over and take her hand; it feels so tiny and lifeless, her skin dry and papery. Gently I press her fingers between mine, as if I can imbue her with my strength, my vitality. I can almost imagine her eyes opening as she smiles sleepily at me.

Hey, Mama. What are you doing here?

Hey, baby girl. You had such a big sleep.

Did I dream?

You had the best dreams, sweetheart. The very best dreams.

A choked sound escapes me, something far too close to a sob. I can picture it so perfectly; I can't believe it's not real, that it's not going to happen in just a few seconds. Every morning as she sits tangle-haired before her bowl of Cheerios, Amy Rose asks me if she dreamed the night before.

It's become a thing between us; I tell her all about the dreams she had. I make up stories about ice-cream castles and fairies with sparkly wings, and she listens, rapt, and she always wants more.

I want to tell her about her dreams now. You flew up to heaven on your sparkly wings and then you came back, baby girl, and you had such stories to tell! Up there in the sky, you saw everything there ever was - the Great Wall of China, the lions in Africa, and that big red rock in Australia you think is so cool. You saw it all, and then came back to tell me about it.

Please come back, Amy Rose, I plead silently. Please come back and tell me all about it.

ABOUT 'MY DAUGHTER'S MISTAKE': I look at my daughter. My darling girl. I remember her tiny hand in mine, her first smile. I recall her tears when she’d tumble over, healed instantly with a band-aid and a little kiss. I have to keep her safe. Even if it means someone else gets hurt…

In the pretty, privileged college town of Milford, New Hampshire, everyone is friendly, everything is safe. And on this cold autumn day, as red and yellow leaves begin to fall from the trees, and everyone wraps up for the first time, it would be easy to believe nothing bad could ever happen here.

Until a screech of tires is heard, a thud, a child’s scream. The crash that sees Jenna’s six-year-old daughter Amy Rose being hit by a car driven by seventeen-year-old Maddie.

Maddie’s mother, Ellen—a college professor with a warm, approachable reputation—insists it must have been an accident. Her daughter is always safe on the road—and she’s vulnerable herself.

But as Amy Rose lies unconscious in hospital, the town begins to take sides. With Ellen, who just wants to defend her daughter. Or with Jenna, a single mother with a past, whose child hovers between life and death…

The truth is that both mothers have secrets they’re trying to keep. And, with Amy Rose’s life hanging in the balance, one of them will stop at nothing to protect the person she loves—her daughter.

MY THOUGHTS: Am I a masochist? Whenever I pick up a Kate Hewitt book, I know that I am about to have my heart shredded into tiny little pieces; but I keep on doing it.

Hewitt will wring every possible emotion from you as you read this heart-wrenching story. Each and every copy of it should come with its own extra large, extra absorbent, box of tissues.

Two mothers, both in desperate situations, are battling head to head over an accident that has critically damaged both their daughters. My Daughter's Mistake is told from the points of view of the two mothers, Jenna - mother of the beautiful six year old Amy Rose; and Ellen - mother of the vulnerable Maddy.

My Daughter's Mistake is the story of two families torn apart by one tragedy. Like any tragedy, this doesn't stop with just those in the accident. Hewitt explores how the effects ripple outwards, affecting every member of the families and beyond.

⭐⭐⭐⭐.4

#MyDaughtersMistake #NetGalley

I: @katehewitt1 @bookouture

T: @KateHewitt1 @Bookouture

#contemporaryfiction #familydrama #mystery #sliceoflife

THE AUTHOR: Kate is the USA Today-bsetselling author of many books of both historical and contemporary fiction. Under the name Katharine Swartz, she is the author of the Tales from Goswell books, a series of time-slip novels set in the village of Goswell.

She likes to read women's fiction, mystery and thrillers, as well as historical novels. She particularly enjoys reading about well-drawn characters and avoids high-concept plots.

Having lived in both New York City and a tiny village on the windswept northwest coast of England, she now resides in a market town in Wales with her husband, five children, and two Golden Retrievers.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Bookouture via Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of My Daughter's Mistake by Kate Hewitt for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

For an explanation of my rating system please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com

This review is also published on Twitter, Amazon, Instagram and my webpage
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'My Daughter's Mistake' by Kate Hewitt.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Kate Hewitt, Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 27th September 2021.

This is the first book I have read by this author. It most certainly won't be the last.

I was originally drawn to this book by its beautiful cover and intriguing sounding synopsis and title. The synopsis stated that this book is 'Perfect for fans of Jodi Picoult, Jojo Moyes and Diane Chamberlain.' I am a fan of all three of these authors  so am looking forward to seeing if this lives up to this statement. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of a prologue, 29 chapters and an epilogue. The chapters are short to medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is based in Milford, New Hampshire, USA 🇺🇸.

This book is written in first person perspective and the main protagonists are Ellen and Jenna. The benefits of books written in first person perspective are as long as they are well written it makes you feel that you are being spoken to by the protagonist and it can create more of a bond between yourselves and them. If there are several protagonists you also get to see more of what is going on.

'My Daughter's Mistake' discusses some topics that may trigger some readers or may not be suitable for others. I like to point this out ahead of time in my reviews so you can judge if this book is for you or not. In this book Kate discusses/includes anorexia, self harming

WOW!!!! What can I say?!?! One thing I have got to say before getting into my review is clear your schedules and grab the tissues as you will need them!!!

This book is beautifully written with vivid descriptions setting the picture perfectly in the readers mind. The title, description and cover works perfectly with the storyline.

This book is devastatingly heartbreaking and beautiful. It is an absolute rollercoaster rider of emotions filled with heartbreak, family, love, loss, secrets, friendship, forgiveness and so much more. It is a mother's absolute worse nightmare whether you are standing by Jenna or Ellen and reading this book really does make you feel that you are standing with them and going through their pain and suffering. While you are reading this you are going through a journey of love and loss, heartbreak and forgiveness. It shows the effects of what one mistake made in one moment can do and how life can change in the blink of an eye. You need to clear your schedules and get the tissues at the ready because you will not be able to put this book down and it had me in tears by the end and I do not cry easily!!!

The characters are strong, realistic and I became completely invested in bith Jenna and Ellen. I felt each if their pain, anger, sorrow and joy. My heart broke for each of them who went through so much. Although it was mainly through Jenna and Ellen's eyes that the story unfolds there are so many other characters that I bonded with. My heart went out to Maddie who was clearly struggling with mental health which she was struggling with along with being at the tender age of seventeen and being in love. Although I did feel for her I also felt like screaming at her on many occasions and wish she would just understand what her mum was going through. I felt Brian was tough in occasions but I also felt for him as it can't be easy being a Dad in this situation. I really felt for William who had so much going on at such a young age and it was sad to see how easily it is to "neglect" an "easy" child when you have another who is going through so much and it was really sad seeing him pushed from pillar to post. William is such a brave young boy and as a mum I think that Brian and Ellen were blessed to have him standing so strong, helping and worrying about Maddie where he could easily have gone the opposite way with his behaviour and started kicking out. Onto Jenna and her family. It was beautiful to be able to watch the transformation in Jenna from wanting to lash out at anyone and everyone to the person she became at the end. I couldn't stand her mother and really think she was one of the most selfish people I have ever "met", consistently feeling sorry for herself at the neglect of her children. I truly believe if she had been a better mother then Sam would have had a much better life and he was another character my heart broke for. Although heartbreaking it was lovely to see how all characters had grown from beginning to end.

Congratulations Kate on an absolutely gorgeous, heartbreaking beautiful book!!! I am looking forward to reading more of your previous and future books. I would absolutely love to see this turned into a movie!!! Welcome to my favourite author list and here's to your next success 🥂

Overall an absolutely unputdownable, addictive and compelling devastatingly beautiful heartbreaking book!!!

Genres covered in this book include Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Coming-Of-Age Story, Noir Fiction and Domestic Fiction  amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Jodi Picoult, Jojo Moyes, Debbie Macomber, Nicholas Sparks, Diane Chamberlain and anyone who loves a tear jerker.

324 pages.

This book is just £1.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5 /5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#MyDaughtersMistake #Bookouture #KateHewitt #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@KateHewitt @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

Holy cow, this book was incredible! I was completely sucked in from the very beginning to the very end and I flew through it in two days. I love how it opened, it jumped right into the story without much buildup. Great way to capture the reader’s attention! The storylines and characters were compelling and intriguing, the writing was easy and fluid, and the unexpected twists and turns were just perfect. I am drawn to books about families and the issues they are faced with, and this book fits that category to a T. I couldn’t help but wonder how I would handle some of the situations and also couldn’t help but judge and question some of the decisions that were made by the characters. The characters, their personalities, and their relationships with one another were so compelling to read about. The topics are ones that could very well happen to anyone (but hopefully won’t), and it was so emotional to read how everyone responded and reacted. There was so much touched upon in this book, it is so powerful and so REAL. I really really liked this book and it is one that will stay with me for a long time. I am a big fan of this author and she once again has written a book that is so emotional yet wonderful. Thank you Kate Hewitt!
My Daughter's Mistake by Kate Hewitt is the dissection of an auto accident and how it affected so many people beyond the victim and the driver. Its tendrils reached into the past and changed the lives of many. At times I lost patience as it seemed there was too much introspection and, yes, whining, but it all came together as the story unfolded. Maddie is 17 and recovering from anorexia. She has cut off her parents, and has a boyfriend, to observers, not worthy of her. She is out driving and hits a little girl who is in the street. The little girl is in a medically induced coma to allow the swelling in her brain to subside. Maddie is locked in herself, in her room. There are so many secrets, which unfold slowly. There are also many problems beyond Maddie's and people are different than they appear to be. Adversity uncovers all of them and more.

The forensics don't match the story. Maddie is lying. They all know it: the police and her parents, but they don't know what the lie is. It is all sending Maddie further into herself. Amy Rose, the little girl, is still in a coma. Her mother is beside herself. She is lying, too, but she has called Amy Rose's father and he has come. Sam, her brother, is in trouble. Is it because of this? It is overwhelming, for everyone. Ellen and Brain, Maddie's parents, are holding it together. Ellen, alone, not so much, but she has Brian. It is all a horror. Will it ever be over? Beautifully written, Hewitt has put into words that which many people live. Their stories are different, but it's all really the same. I recommend it.

I was invited to read a free e-ARC of My Daughter's Mistake by Bookoutre, through Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are mine. #netgalley #bookoutre #mydaughtersmistake
4.5 Stars

A sensitively written emotional drama from an exceptional storyteller, Kate Hewitt’s My Daughter’s Mistake is a gripping, nuanced and heart-wrenching page-turner readers will not manage to put down or forget.

Bad things never happen in the picture book perfect college town of Milford, New Hampshire – or so it seems. Nobody has a bad word to say about anybody else, everyone is friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand and the neighbourhood is perfectly respectable. Crime isn’t something that troubles the residents of Milford as nothing so disreputable ever taints the polished and pristine college town – until one day everything changes and neighbour is pitted against neighbour, battle lines are drawn and the tightly-knit community finds itself having to choose sides.

On a cold autumn day, the serenity and tranquility is cruelly disrupted by the screeching of tyres and a child’s scream. Six year old Amy Rose was hit by a car driven by seventeen year old Maddie. The whole town is in absolute shock and everybody is worried about Amy Rose and the impact the crash will have on her. Maddie’s college professor mother Ellen is convinced that this was just a tragic accident that couldn’t be helped. Maddie is a careful driver and she would never jeopardise anyone’s safety and well-being – especially a child’s. Meanwhile Amy Rose’s mother, Jenna is at her daughter’s bedside worried sick about her.

As the town begins to take sides, two mothers who couldn’t be more different find themselves determined to protect their daughters at all costs and do whatever it takes for them – as well as keeping firmly under lock and key their deepest and darkest secrets.

Kate Hewitt’s My Daughter’s Mistake is a thought-provoking, engrossing and tense domestic drama that explores a mother’s love, fate’s cruel and unexpected twists and the desperate lengths people go do for their loved ones. Harrowing, heart-breaking and deftly written, My Daughter’s Mistake is a riveting read that grips like the most chilling of thrillers and will have readers reaching for the tissues as they find themselves completely moved and enthralled by this first class read.

As terrific as ever, Kate Hewitt dazzles her readers once again with her latest novel, Her Daughter’s Mistake.
Oh, this book took my breath away several times!  Just when I thought I knew where the story was going it took a turn around a corner I didn't see coming.  There was a lot packed into this book.  It was so well written.

These two mom's parent differently and come from different backgrounds, but at the heart of it all, they are mom's who love their daughters.  It is so hard to see each of them deal with the accident.  I could not even imagine my own reaction on either side of this story.

I am going to be looking out for Kate Hewitt's next book.  I have one on my TBR list.  This book makes me want to drop everything and go read that one!
Ellen Wilkinson is a professor of sociology at Milford College.  She is married to Brian who runs a landscaping business and they are the parents of 17-year-old Maddie and 12-year-old William.  Maddie is now home after spending some time in a clinic for an eating disorder.  Today, she receives a frantic call from Maddie and rushes to where she is.

Jenna Miller is the mother of 6-year-old Amy Rose.  As Maddie drove down their street, the little girl ran out in front of Maddie’s car leaving her severely injured.  Ellen takes a sobbing Maddie home.

Amy Rose is taken to the hospital where she has a broken arm and a severe brain injury.  To help reduce the swelling of her brain, the doctors have put her in a medically-induced coma.  Now, Jenna, a single mother working two jobs waits to see if her daughter will recover.

When Ellen comes to the hospital to tell Jenna how sorry she is, Jenna demands that she leave.  Jenna’s anger is so great that she just cannot let herself be comforted by Maddie’s family.

This story represents Jenna’s pain at Amy Rose’s injury and Ellen’s pain at Maddie’s emotional problems.  Each of them tries to handle their family and problems in their own way while trying to keep their own sanity.  It’s a pretty good story but I can’t say I really liked any of the characters except for young William and hard-working Brian.  Maddie made smoke come out of my ears.  Coddling teenage girls and letting them know that the parents are literally afraid of them is a pet peeve of mine.  Some strictness and firm rules could have helped Maddie immensely.  Some sad things happen that show selflessness, as well.  All in all, a book of family angst.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.