Cover Image: Nobody But Us

Nobody But Us

Firstly a big thank you to the publishers for my copy to review on netgalley. I have heard a lot of buzz surrounding this book which indicates how big it will be .

I inhaled the first half, I was hooked!

It’s written so well weaving from him to her seamlessly .

Addictive and intoxicating , a bit like their relationship. Compelling and disturbing…

Unpredictable , tense and gripping . You think you know where its going but you really don’t…

I loved it and know its going to be flying off the shelves this summer.

Published 14th April
Nobody but us written by Laure Van Rensburg is a very dark psychological thriller. Ellie and Steven have been dating for a few months, they are excited about a long weekend together in the country, miles from anyone they can enjoy the snowy hikes and cosy evening fires just the two of them, but is that what they both have planned?
Brilliantly twisty, dark and funny. Both dislikable characters, but you are drawn in to pick a side, a real page turner.
The writing is clever, the theme's are current, it's a moral dilemma you'll be uncomfortable choosing a side. A great 4*.

Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Michael Joseph UK for the ARC.
If you’re a fan of dark and twisted psychological thrillers then this one is for you. I inhaled this book in a couple of days, I genuinely couldn’t put it down.

To say that neither of these characters is particularly likeable would be an understatement. As we follow Steven and Ellie’s chilly and romantic weekend getaway we are treated to flashbacks from their past, which adds to the building sense of foreboding. It quickly becomes clear that they’re not the most conventional of couples… to stay the least!

The writing is smart and witty, with some great tension-building, twists and turns. I’ll be looking forward to what this author comes up with next!

With thanks to Michael Joseph for gifting me a digital copy to review.
Lots of twists and turns, an isolated but luxe house and escapes through the snow. Fans of slick and sexy thrillers will love 'Nobody but Us'.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Michael Joseph UK for the ARC.
I was immediately drawn in by the plot of this book - although the ‘romantic weekend away’ theme is quite common, there are elements to this story that felt unique and I was excited to get stuck in. I was pretty engrossed in this story and found it hard to put down which is always a positive!

The author is extremely descriptive which I loved and found myself being transported along with Ellie and Steven. Nobody But Us is graphic, atmospheric and a very enjoyable read.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I found this a little slow in places Lacking imagination. Sorry, this one was not for me.
I really cannot remember why I requested this title, as I try to avoid generic thrillers. I think the blurb/promo might have mentioned "My Dark Vanessa" vibes, which was one of my favourite reads in 2021.
As such I was disappointed in this book. We have the story of Stephen and Ellie, a professor and (graduate) student in an age-gap relationship ... questionable - but they're both adults right? Except Stephen's preference for his partners has always been for young girls. Neither character is likeable, of course Stephen was always going to be painted as an utter bustard. Ellie at times reminded me of klutz Bella Swan from the Twilight series, from the get-go she is portrayed as almost physically incapable of basic things without mishap e.g. walking on an icy sidewalk, without Stephen's support.
I found the story to be at times unnecessarily violent, and I feel like the #meToo aspect was shoehorned in when in fact social media has moved onto the next trending hashtag activisim.
Thank you to Netgalley & Penguin Michael Joseph for allowing me to read an e-ARC of this book.

I went into this novel knowing nothing about it, except for the fact that the advertising said ‘get ready to meet 2022’s most fucked up couple!’. So I had high hopes for a lot of drama and insane twists.
What I found was that there was indeed, a lot of drama and some twists to the novel, however, it all fell a little flat for me. Quite early on we find out that Steven is the worst kind of man, one that likes to get his own way with everything, and everyone. Without spoiling it, it is quite a difficult read, and I feel there should be a trigger warning with it, but I think that would probably also spoil the main big plotline.

Ellie is a great character, with some brilliant lines throughout and she has a huge plan for their weekend away, which doesn’t end the way either of them expected.

Laure is also brilliant at creating a very tense atmosphere, with some incredibly detailed descriptions of the landscape and the home they are staying in.

However, the main reason this novel fell flat for me with it’s potential for greatness, is that everything seemed to be repetitive. Ellie would say something, Steven would say something back, and it kept going in circles until finally, the ending happened.
I think the book could have been a lot shorter, had the characters actually acted on what was going on WAY before they did. The intrigue of finding out what happened kept me reading, but only just. It would probably make a great movie, as they could fit everything into an hour and a half film, but I spent around 3-4 hours reading this, and it felt way too long.

Overall, it was enjoyable to a point, but it wasn’t my favourite locked-room thriller, and although the storyline is a very important subject, this book just didn’t do it justice for me.
Nobody But us is an addictive, unputdownable thriller. What happens when two people are on a getaway but neither is who they actually say they are? What ensues is a tension filled thriller that won't let readers go until the very last page. What makes this novel more fascinating is that it's told from both character's POV. You see how each perceives the other, while learning neither is who they say. I truly cannot recommend this novel enough! It's an explosive thriller through and through! Highly recommended!!
I was really excited when I read the book description it started off really  well and had great potential.
But around the halfway mark I found the writing repetitive which unfortunately meant I found myself skim reading to the end.  This book has some fabulous reviews so I think it’s a marmite kind of book!
Really liked the premise of this and the way the story was presented. Also liked the imperfections of the characters so we not really sure who was the villian.  But ultimately it didnt have enough substance for me and I'm still not sure what I make to the characters or the message.
Welcome to the most screwed up couple you’ll meet
The book begins by introducing us to Ellie and Steven who are travelling to a cabin fur a weekend away. You can feel the anxiety and tension that both of them have, with how much they are both depending on this weekend
Despite picking up on the tension, I had no idea what was going on
After arriving at the cabin, things start going wrong. No cell service; strange noises;
Then the book turns….
I can honestly say I didn’t see it coming and the ending was incredible!
The book is so well written. I had really gone girl vibes with this book. The book is brilliant and one that I can see being made into a tv series
Highly recommend
I was delighted to be part of the April Squadpod Bookgroup, Thank you to Michael Joseph Book for my copy of the book in return for a fair and honest review.

When you begin this book you think that it will be story of a couple having a weekend away, just the two of them. but its not long before you realise that it is all not that it appears. Ts it the setting, the storm or the couple ?

The story is told from the viewpoint of both the protagonists Steven and Ellie which really makes the story all the more intriguing, how each person perceives the other and you get the full story. Steven is a professor whose father had a past of having relationships with young students. Steven despises his father for his behaviour and he is absolutely convinced that he is not like his father and is a good man. Ellie also has a past which is uncovered throughout the story.

This book is so full of tension and twists, its like a white knuckle ride as there were so many times that I was blindsided by this story and its characters. The author cleverly weaves literature into the book, Steven is an English professor so the inclusion of Dostoevsky’s The Devil’s and Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre really adds to the intricacies of the writing.

This book evoked many feelings in me, anger, pity and disgust, it is a story that has many many layers and it is a difficult review to write without giving spoilers. I will say you need to read this clever, topical and gripping book it will leave you reeling ! A must for lovers of psychological thrillers.

5 stars *****
Welcome to the most screwed up couple you’ll meet
Despite picking up on the tension, I had no idea what was going on
Then the book turns….
I can honestly say I didn’t see it coming and the ending was incredible!
Highly recommend
Thank you for NetGalley for providing me with this book for review.
Wow what a read this book is, challenging subject matter. Couldn't put it down read it within a couple of days.
A very slow build up, but once the dramatic event happens at about 20-25%, it feels like the book stalled a bit. The descriptions of the snow, trees etc were a bit tedious, and it all felt a bit clunky and not quite believable. But atmospheric, and timely in many ways.
I loved the premise of this book, the plot and how it all tied up in the end and would absolutely recommend it. It was fast paced, thrilling and gripping, but for me at times it was just too full on. Honestly I was exhausted halfway through! Very clever plot though and I didn't see where it was going for quite a while.
I struggled with this book due to repetition and overly long descriptions and I’m struggling with this review.  I think the #metoo issues are important but since Ellie went after Steven doesn’t that mean she groomed him?  She had very good motives but she failed to attract him as herself, so went to extremes in her diet, appearance, character, behaviour etc to trap him.  I’m not defending him as he obviously was the greater culprit but neither were likeable. The prologue gives away 99% of the denouement so all we are reading is who did what to whom and why.  The middle sagged for me and I was bored, having said that I would read another book by this author.
Interesting plot to this book. I liked how the story was told from two different perspectives and how it all came together in the end.
Hard Candy-esque revenge story in an atmospheric setting.

A lone guest house in the middle of the woods and it's the two of them.. Nobody but them and their secrets.

Even after sleeping on it, I find it extremely difficult to rate and review this book.

Firstly, the author is a magician in conjuring the atmospheric setting, the flourished writing puts me straight in the setting and I love it! I can feel the chilling cold, I can hear the logs crackling in the fireplace - everything comes alive with her skilful writing.

However, at some point, it does start to feel too long and too descriptive, so I guess it is a fine balance.

I really do not want to leave a very critical review, as the premise (the #MeToo movement) is so very important and also hits close to home to me. It is an extremely overlooked issue even in this day and age and light should be brought to these being ongoing crimes committed toward women and the perpetrators appropriately prosecuted.

However, once the story reached a certain point in the 'action' of things, it plateaued and from there, it only became a cat and mouse chase and trips down the memory lane. For my liking, this could barely be described as a thriller or a mystery. With only the two of them (one being the piece of egomaniac shit they were) - it could not go any further. Maybe I would have felt retribution if there was a little more gore? I think it would feel more satisfying after being subjected to reading so much of their inner entitled delusional word vomit. Their thoughts were so detached from seeing women as anything else as a means to an end.

Wait, was the author grooming me too?

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book!