Cover Image: The Family Lie

The Family Lie

One of the not so good books that I have read in a long, long time. There was hardly any suspense and none of the characters propelled me along down the book. A complete waste of my time.
Sorry, this was boring to me. It was classified as a thriller, but there was no thrill I’m it. I could. It finish this one.
This would have so nearly been a 4 star read if it hadn’t been for what felt like a really slow start. There’s a lot of description and setting the scene at the beginning which now that I’ve finished it I realise is very important to the overall story but I wonder if the pace could have been quicker, it would get going and then lose momentum, the second half for me was brilliant!

The unexpected (not mentioned in the synopsis) supernatural and cult themes, which I won’t say too much about for fear of any spoilers were like nothing I’ve ever read before and for that I’ll remember this story for a while to come, they definitely added real substance to the story!

There are a few twists to the story, neither of which I saw coming and at times the author really built up the suspense to the point if I was watching it play out on the television I’d probably be hiding behind a cushion!

Overall I did enjoy this and I’m so glad I persevered with the slow start, it turned out to be a good book!

Thanks to @netgalley and @hqstories for my gifted copy in exchange for an honest review.
I love this cover! It’s so beautiful! The story was anything but! Lol! But I definitely loved it! so good! One twist after the other!
This is a psychological thriller that from the opening chapter managed to set the stage and pull me straight into the given narrative capturing my attention and compelling me to keep heading forward. What a ride this book was to read. I sailed thru the pages and had a great time reading it. It was just what I needed.
The plot of the book was such a great page turner. The plot of the book was very well written. I  truly cannot wait to read another wonderful book from this new yo me great  author. This was a truly great book.
This was one difficult book to read as there was no story, no suspense, and I had to DNF as it was really not worth the time I had already spent on it.
I had high expectations after reading the blurb and the first scene was excellent, promising a gripping story.
Unfortunately it didn't keep my attention as I felt it was dragging.
Not my cup of tea
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
The way this book starts?! I grabbed me by the wrists and didn’t let go, I couldn’t put the book down, I just had to KNOW! Anyway, we meet Mitchel, his father passed away, he had to run home and handle his estate, there is so much going on, but it’s slowly burning, and I’m not going to lie I am not a huge fan of slow burns but the way this author wrote this book she was prepping us for the Family DRAMA that was about unfold, and the mystery about this town he grew up in. CREEPY STUFF GOING ON IN HERE! There are characters that you lesser expect also there is Cult-ish things going on, urban legends, witchy things. It’s a great mix of things, but don’t give up on this book, give a chance, I was left with my mouth open still in shock on what I was reading. I think because I’m into all of this stuff that I enjoyed it so much.

Thanks Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book.
I have loved everything about this one. This is well-written and a book that I have been completely unwilling to put down. I am a huge fan of this author and cannot wait for more.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book started off well but then became a little slow. I think the plot could have been better written and the whole thing proofread and edited better, but an entertaining read nonetheless.
The Family Lie is a dark thriller from P. L. Kane, following Police Officer Mitchel Prescott, who returns to his hometown following the death of his father. When Mitchel learns his father died in mysterious circumstances he tries to uncover the truth behind his death. The townspeople are reluctant to get involved and the local police force are no help. As Mitchel delves deeper into the goings-on in Green Arces, he uncovers something even more deadly.

This book had such an intriguing premise and the first chapter completely hooked me. I thought this was going to be a fast-paced thriller, but unfortunately, this one just wasn't for me. Some of the twists I guessed quite early on and some of the story felt just a little bit too far-fetched for me. I also felt the first half of the book was a lot slower than the second half, which made the pacing of the story feel quite off.

The other thing that I struggled with in this book was the characters. Mitchel is quite an unlikeable main character. As I didn't really like him I found it difficult to care about what was happening to him and this meant I wasn't as intrigued by the mystery as I thought I would be. I'm sure there are thriller fans who will really enjoy this one, but ultimately it just wasn't for me.
Reading this was like reading the sterling abridged children's version of The Wicker Man. Further, instead of being creepy or atmospheric or making me feel the dread the character was experiencing, this author went with exclamation points- hundreds and hundreds of exclamation points. I wondered, initially, if it had been edited by a fifteen year old girl whose only experience with written language was texting.
Oh man, I just don't know about this one?! It was so um weird I guess?! This book had suspense, action, and cult like stuff? Its not really my type of genre to read. It was interesting, I guess that's why I finished it but like I said not my cup of tea! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!
I absolutely loved this book, and didn't want to put it down.
I very much expected it to be your run-of-the-mill true crime story, but actually it took a bit of a turn and started going down the more 'supernatural' cult type story. Now I'm trying not to give any of the story and twists and turns away, but if you are purely looking for a true crime story, then this might not be the one for you.

I absolutely loved the direction the book took, it added a whole new level of interest to the story line and really helped me speed through the last quarter of the book because I just needed to know what happened next!

Definitely a must read for me!
Excellent story! Totally engrossing!.  Looking forward to reading more by this author! Could not put this down!
PC Mitch Prescott has resigned from the police force after his involvement in a riot goes horribly wrong. He returns to his childhood town with great reluctance after receiving a phone call from the hospital at Green Acres about his father who has died. His marriage to Lucy has hit a rocky patch and he promises her they will try to get back on an even keel. Mitch has a sister, Bella and Lucy can't understand why Bella isn't volunteering to sort things at Green Acres, as the elder child.

Told via chapters flitting between Mitch and Bella's perspectives this was a creepy read with an undertone of menace. I thoroughly enjoyed this well-told tale finding it unpredictable and intriguing. The Family Lie, my second novel from P.L. Kane was very worthy and I expect I'll be picking up his next read. Highly recommended.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from HQ via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Although I enjoyed this book and read to the end I did find myself a little confused. Initially I thought the book was set in America, but then I realised it must be the UK - although it didn’t really feel like the UK. I happily read the book but did find some of the plot a little unbelievable. Saying that, I would read another book by the same author. I’m wondering if it had more to do with not having read the earlier novel in the series where the characters and their relationships were established and explained.
Slow Burn Suspense….
When Mitchel Prescott returns to the small town he once called home, following the death of his father, he knows that things do not sit right and he soon becomes certain that his father’s death was no accident. An unsavoury can of worms is about to be opened. A slow burn suspense, tense and immersive. Compelling reading.
Oooooh I liked this. It was a page turner. I was kept enthralled by the story tellers ability to suck me in rapidly.