Cover Image: Christmas at Hope Hall

Christmas at Hope Hall

I did enjoy this festive tale but found the writing style a bit difficult at times. I appreciate this is part of a series and it felt as though the author was explaining events in previous books at times to the detriment of the current story which I think was good enough to stand alone. It was an easy, warm, festive read that was uplifting and enjoyable.
I received an advance review copy for free thanks to NetGalley. I did not enjoy this book and I could not connect with any of the characters. It was just OK.
I know that I'm biased because of my love of dogs, but I loved this Christmas novella! It was cosy and sweet and has a wonderful cast of characters that you can't help but love. I find that sometimes authors will really play up tragedy/sadness in holiday novels to create tension and drama but I think Rhodes does a wonderful job of including these characters' lives without getting terribly morose.

I was entirely new to Hope Hall but I didn't feel like I was missing information from the previous books. (I will definitely be reading the first two books this winter, though!) If you prefer a shorter book or novella but still love holiday cosiness, this book is for you!
I’ve been so looking forward to this next book in the Hope Hall series, & from the opening words it does not disappoint! Drawing the reader straight in, one is immediately engaged with the very ‘real’ characters. It is so good to be back with old friends, in a village where one could imagine living, oneself. I do enjoy the way we hear from all generations, with their differing points of view – none of them become stereotyped.   Many interesting storylines are deftly woven together to make a cohesive whole, resulting in  a very satisfying read which one does not want to come to the end of.  Having Hope Hall as the centrepiece is a brilliant idea, & the series is warmly recommended!
A fantastic finale to the Hope Hall series.  The story encompasses the characters met in previous books as they get ready for the Christmas season.  A lovely book to welcome in the festive season, definitely with a hot chocolate and roaring log fire.
A Christmas book! It says it all! Who doesn’t love a good story about Christmas time, whatever the weather outside? An enjoyable read. Well done and well written.
I liked this life affirming and heartwarming book. It made me smile and enjoyed it.
Well written, likeable characters and an engrossing plot.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Christmas at Hope Hall - Pam Rhodes

I received an advance review copy for free thanks to NetGalley and Lion Hudson Ltd and I am leaving this review voluntarily

The drama only increases as Christmas approaches, and the panto rehearsals featuring the jocular "Can't Sing Singers" get into full swing. But the hustle and bustle of the drama in the community stems from the deeper personal stories. Loneliness, loss, and hurt impact the lives of many of the local residents. But where there is community, there is friendship, companionship, love, and most of all, hope.

Christmas at Hope Hall is the final book in a delightful trilogy centred on a Victorian church hall, the like of which can be found at the heart of so many towns across England. This wonderful finale to the series (which includes the sound of wedding bells!) is full of friends and neighbours with stories that will have you giggling one minute, and dabbing your eyes the next.

I read this book as a stand-alone and unfortunately this did not help me; I struggled to connect to any of the characters, I also struggled keeping track of them all. I was also disappointed at the lack of Christmas spirit - for a book with Christmas in the title I would expect it to feature more heavily than it did.

I really wanted to enjoy this book but unfortunately I just don't think it was for me. If you are going to read this book then I would recommend you read the first two books in the trilogy first.

Rating 3/5
Really loved this novel, it felt like Christmas even though it was the build up to it. The characters came to life and you want to  be there with them. Some lovely twists and turns but,.....well read it for yourself to find out what happens, You want to curl up and keep  warm with a nice hot chocolate or a big glass of wine. This is a 5 star read, enjoy.

Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for this eARC
A really lovely festive romantic story with a great community feel. A great ending to a fantastic series of books. Totally recommend
A heartwarming story full of loveable characters and a great sense of community spirit. It was like being wrapped in a warm, cosy blanket. A great read for an autumn evening.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

This is the third book in a series, having read the previous books I was looking forward to reading this.

It was such a beautiful book, of new beginnings for two characters, of love and friendship. Also about how a community pulls together to ensure that the inhabitants of hope hall are cared for and make sure they are welcomed.

The story made me laugh and cry in places, but it was a story full of different characters, who each had their own story to tell, as well as caring for others.

It was much more than just a Christmas story.

Recommend this and the previous books.
Christmas at Hope Hall by Pam Rhodes was a cute Christmas story. The descriptions made you feel like you were there.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
     This is third book in a trilogy and I have not read the previous books, but the write-up states that it can be read as a stand-alone novel. There are short sections giving information about the history of specific characters for those of us who have not read the other books; I cannot say if this provides too much repetition for readers who are familiar with the others in the series.
     There are a lot of characters so I found it difficult to retain who was who and what they did in the village. The storyline starts in September, before Harvest Festival (which takes a great deal of discussion and then is passed through very quickly), and progresses towards Christmas at quite a pace; I would have found it helpful to have a date at the start of each chapter to mark progress through the storyline. The narrative style is charming, almost observational, and reflects village life. It is a clean read, a pleasant aspect with today's leanings towards language which is not my style.
     I'm sure I would have enjoyed this book more if I had read the previous books, so I have given it 3 stars to reflect this.  However, I felt it swapped between scenes and characters without links so it seemed 'bitty' to me, and this is the reason for not giving a higher rating.
Much Ado…
The end of year at Hope Hall comes with a flurry of activity and, of course, drama. These is much ado as Christmas approaches and much community spirit but overall a feeling of hope. The final book in this trilogy centred around a Victorian Church hall and a fitting finale to the series. Delightful.
Christmas at Hope Hall is a sweet story following the lives of several people in a small British town during the holiday season. I'll start with why this wasn't 5 stars for me, then end with what I liked.
While it was a relaxing, cute story, there was nothing that really drew me in and made me care about any of the characters. There were so many, and it changed from one to another so often and rather abruptly, that I had a hard time remembering who it was talking about at times. It was also hard to get to know any of the characters on a deeper level to form an emotional connection. I also felt as though several of the stories were not tied up by the end. The last criticism I have is that it was not a very festive holiday book. There weren't many mentions of the holiday, and there weren't any festivities or traditional Christmas goings-on besides the panto. It seemed as if it could have taken place any time of the year.
However, I did enjoy most of the different stories that were happening, and found myself rooting for some of the characters. The panto at the end seemed hilarious and is something I would have liked to have seen in real life! I loved how Hope Hall played a part in everyone's story and how it had such a central role in the lives of the townspeople and community, and so often brought people together. I also really enjoyed the fact that the story is British. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a cozy, relaxing read they can lose themselves in, as long as they can keep several storylines straight and aren't looking for an overtly festive holiday read.
A weak storyline and poorly developed characters made this incredibly difficult to finish.  There has to be more to a Christmas novel than the usual tropes to make it enjoyable and sadly the usual tropes is all this book has to offer.
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. This book tells the story of villagers who live in a small town in England. I like getting to know the people who lived in the.town and how they interacted with one another. I could not put this book down.
I wasn’t aware Pam Rhodes of Songs of Praise fame wrote books, which pleasantly surprised me when I opened this one.

I’ve read a number of Christmas books recently, and whilst they generally all follow the same pattern, I never get sick of them. They’re a sure fire way of warming me up and enveloping me in a big snowy cuddle. This is very well written and enjoyable, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it an out and out Christmas book, regardless of the title. The first mention of anything remotely linked to Christmas doesn’t come until nearly 40% of the way through. This doesn’t necessarily negatively impact the book or its reading - I still thoroughly enjoyed it - but I personally like my festive books to be all jingle bells and mistletoe and snowy hills right from the get go.

I didn’t like the main character of Ray initially as he wasn’t nice to a dog, and I don’t trust people who aren’t nice to dogs, but he soon won me round. There’s quite a number of characters to keep on top of, but they all have their own individual characteristics and personalities, and none are just put there simply to make up the numbers.

The advanced electronic copy I received did have some formatting issues which meant scenes merged into the next, with nothing to tell you the time, location or characters had changed, which was a bit off putting, but this hopefully has been amended in the final project.

Overall I thought it was well written, very enjoyable and easy to read, but I wouldn’t personally call it a Christmas book. To me, it is more a book with some Christmas elements, than a full on festive extravaganza.
I loved this book.
Hope there's another one as I want to know what happens to everyone.
If Maggie does leave and marry Phil and open a teashop.
If celia makes the mill brilliant and what happens to uncle Jo.
Love the fact it follows on so seamlessly from the other books. Please let there be another one.