Cover Image: A Kiss After Dying

A Kiss After Dying

Fast paced thriller with lots of twists and turns. A little disappointed in the ending, somehow was expecting more!!
I think this is the first novel I’ve come across from this author, definitely the first one I’ve read and it was AWESOME!

Hannah is quiet – the kind of woman who not many people notice. Ricky is rich and a bit of a playboy; eventually he notices Hannah and she falls under his spell – or does she? There’s more to Hannah than meets the eye and reading this novel will lead you there.

I was bowling along quite nicely, enjoying reading this one and considering it to be a fairly gentle read when – BAM! – it suddenly took a wild swerve and left me with my jaw hanging open! From there on, the surprises just kept coming; one or two which were expected but, for the most part, completely out of the blue. I can now understand just why Ashok Banker is described as ‘an internationally acclaimed author’ – trust me, it's all true and if you haven’t come across his work before, then please do add this one to your wishlist. You will be shocked and amazed but the one thing you won’t be is disappointed. An extremely exciting and worthwhile read; nothing less that a full house of glowing stars will do!

My thanks to the publisher for my copy of this novel via NetGalley; this is – as always – my honest, original and unbiased review.
From the prologue of A Kiss After Dying, I couldn’t wait to get stuck in. This story  no is about Hannah, she’s shy and some may say spiky. People don’t pay attention to her which is exactly how she likes it. It’s how she planned it. It’s also a story about Ricky. Outgoing, charming and good looking. He always gets what he wants. And now he wants Hannah and she can’t resist him. But this isn’t a love story. It will intrigue and mesmerise. It’s unpredictable but will thrill you to the end. Thank you to NetGalley, Penguin Michael Joseph UK and the author for the chance to review.
Well... this took me all round the houses and back again delivering shock after surprise all the way through.
We start at college with Hannah and Ricky. Ricky wants Hannah, he doesn't know it yet, she hasn't engineered it yet, but she will... and then shenanigans will ensue.
But the why will be so much sweeter than you will imagine... as will the revenge that will be served up.
Honestly. I really don't want to say to much about this book. It is one of those books that you really need to go in knowing as little as you can so you can be hit with what the author serves up at exactly the right times for maximum impact. For that reason too, it's extremely hard to formulate a spoiler free review. So I will be deliberately oblique...
Characters are brilliant. A fascinating display of social and moral justice and injustice. With secrets, lies and duplicitous behaviour aplenty. They in themselves would keep a book club in discussions for many an hour.
The story is both interesting and intriguing and held me captive throughout my time reading. Culminating in an ending that was perfect...
And to top it all, there's a thing that really makes me want to re-read the whole book. I just wish I had the time...
All in all, a cracking engaging read that really kept me on my toes and challenged me as a reader all the way through. No mean feat these days. My thanks go to the Publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book.
This is one of those books you just don’t want to end but race through anyway. A highly original concept that sees Hannah seeking revenge. With meticulous planning she inveigles herself into the life of Ricky, a playboy billionaire who has the pick of all the girls who throw themselves at his feet. Hannah therefore plays hard to get and unbeknown to Ricky reels him in slowly but surely in order to gain revenge for herself and her family. However, the story has many layers, parts and twists and without giving away any spoilers I can’t reveal any more of the story. It is brilliantly written with wonderfully descriptive pages throughout that leave the reader with a vivid picture at every turn. The storyline is extremely clever, shocking and surprising and while not condoning murder it makes you understand that in some cases, this is the only revenge for extreme cruelty, dishonesty and destruction, and not least of all, death itself.
I had read the synopsis of A Kiss After Dying and thought it immediately sounded like a book,I would enjoy. And initially, that was the case. I was eager to see how it would all play out, but to be completely honest, I was bored by the halfway mark. I found the characters to be irritating, and I just couldn’t engage with the story at all. While it wasn’t for me, I still think fans of crime fiction will definitely enjoy this revenge thriller.
Looking at all the reviews I was really expecting something "WOW", I understand that the scene has to be set and after the introduction I was waiting for it to explode, but after pages and pages of description it didn't hook me, maybe it just wasn't the right time for me to read this book I may give it another go in the future, sorry.
A delicious female protagonist revenge story. I was really looking forward to this one as this is exactly the storyline that I love. It was a bit slow for me in parts and some of the language I personally struggled with, but despite this it held my attention. I would say the best happens in the last 30% of the book with a few twists and some tense action rushing me to the end.

Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Michael Joseph UK for the opportunity to read and review this ARC
A super slick revenge thriller with intriguing characters that grab your interest from the opening pages. If you love a dark, twisty revenge plot you’ll love this.
would like to thank netgalley for letting me read this book

what can i say...loved the action of this book

but

the descriptive dialogue i skipped over in the end...felt at times was being lectured...i want to escape blm and every possible slight against any person of colour creed or homophobia....  i dont want to read it in a book that i chose to read... i want action which in part this book gave, just a shame about the other side of this book

but the actions of the main characters in this book was what kept me reading...had to find out if they managed achieve their goal
3.5 stars rounded up

This is a story about Hannah. She seems shy. Some would even say spiky. People don't pay much attention to Hannah. Which is exactly how she planned it.

It's also a story about Ricky. Ricky is anything but shy. Rich, charming, good looking. Ricky has never had a problem getting what he wants. And now he wants Hannah.

There's a spark between them from the moment they meet. Even Hannah can't resist a man like Ricky for long. But this is not a love story. In fact, it's a little like Hannah. First you'll be intrigued. But you'll soon realise she knows something you don't.

It took a few chapters to get into the story but I'm glad I stuck with it. There's also parts that dragged out. The last 20% was, by far, the best part. The pace is steady throughout. I liked the main characters, they were well developed and believable. There's plenty of twists, it's unpredictable and thought provoking. I took half a star away for being hard to get into.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #PenguinMichaelJosephUk and the author #AshokBanter for my ARC of #AKissAfterDying in exchange for an honest review.
This was a good book - I loved the question over identities, and I really appreciated the need for revenge, which was revealed as the reader progressed through the book.  A lot of it was cleverly done, and well written.  I'm happy to recommend this to any reader!
Overall a very good read. Different from the usual in that the protagonists were intelligent women, WOC and not American,. Very refreshing to have female protagonists as WOC. Written by a male author who did slip up occasionally with the female voice. Yes, the plot was a bit far fetched but not that bad. I could more or less believe the plot. The book lost its way about half way through for a while  and I found my attention wandering but it did pick up again. I did very much like Hannah/Kiari and although they were the "baddies" a lot of me wanted them to succeed. A bittersweet, I suppose, ending.
Like I say, overall a very good , entertaining read and I will certainly look out for the author's next book

There are a number of typos that should be corrected
Hannah is shy an no one pays her much attention.
Ricky is the opposite and always gets what he wants and he wants Hannah.
Unknown to Ricky Hannah wants more but her plans are not going the way she wants.
The book opens with a Huh? What? Why? chapter that leaves you needing to know much, much more and it doesn't relent throughout the acts!

I had no idea about the massive twist in the middle of the book, did anyone see that coming? But it didn't stop there, more and more revelations followed which has left me wanting to read it again right away!

This is one seemingly straightforward book that's hellishly twisty!
Loved all the twists in this and how many surprises snuck up along the way. Absolutely brilliantly twisted story
Without the teaser at the beginning of the book, I might have given up.  Despite unbelievable characters and plot, I still enjoyed it overall, even the unsatisfying ending.  The book never really achieves it's potential. I kept wanting to re-write the plot.
This is an honest review of a complementary ARC.
When I finished ‘A kiss before dying’ I felt like it was the most fast paced thriller I had read in a long time! From the synopsis I felt like Banker alluded to some of my favourite dark stories like ‘You’ and ‘Killing Eve’, but these allusions were perfectly used in the narrative to keep readers on tenterhooks throughout.
The story centres on the explosive relationship between Hannah and Ricky, each having the potential to destroy one another as they travel the line between want and obsession. This thriller really kept producing unpredictable twists after a bit of a slow start for me it definitely kept pace to the end. I think the only downside was that sometimes there was an odd slip by the male writer as he wrote in the female perspective which did jar the narrative on occasion but didn’t take away from the movie pace and drama of this story.
I have mixed feelings about this book.  It got off to a great start and I was intrigued and looking forward to a right good read.  After a while though it became too over the top unbelievable for me, and there was too much that I couldn’t understand.  I was hooked again when I read ‘a shock’ half way through that really grabbed my attention, but after that my interest began to wane and the story seemed to drag on.  It was an enjoyable read (sort of), but I think it would be better as a film, not a book.  Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read it.
This had the makings of an excellent book with a riveting story line. Unfortunately the pace in early chapters was just too slow to hold your attention. We needed to know more about why Hannah was hell bent on murdering Ricky and how she planned to do this in her long game. From all her techno savy digging into Ricky’s life, and gaining access to not only his social media presence but much much more, and being able to take control of peoples phones and private communications, even adding to them, pretending to be them, she should have been head of Apple. In a way she was just too much to be believable. She had enormous talents which allowed her to choose her course, her college and numerous more quite distinct qualities, including her knowledge of how to perform an autopsy, for one person in all reality to have as part of their arsenal. She was relying on Ricky facing, probably for the first time in his rich and privileged life,, a girl who wasn’t interested in him. What if he wasn’t interested in her, then, of course,  there  would be no story. Hannah needed to give us a lot more information and her character to be less perfect robot and more a human.