Cover Image: A Kiss After Dying

A Kiss After Dying

This story is a bit improbable, The assassin, Hannah/Kiara is taking revenge for her parent's death by targeting the man responsible, and his children. I'm not sure why none of these people recognised her as they were meant to be friends of the family before. There were some twists, but I found the book to be overly long, and a bit repetitive.
An unusual story where the main protagonists really believe that revenge is a dish best served cold. There are interesting twists which catch the reader unawares which adds to the story.I found the first part full of American references, eg. Tv programmes/ initials that would mean nothing to many British readers. The second half had less of this which made it more enjoyable. The main characters are devious, ruthless and careful planners with a very clear aim in view, The ruthless approach make it difficult for me to engage with the characters.
I was intrigued by the premise, but this one didn’t deliver for me. I think the problem is that Hannah is like Villanelle from Killing Eve (an overrated show that should’ve ended sooner) with these antiheroines getting away with everything and never dying 🙄 Not for me. I also wasn’t sure what Hannah’s plan was and what the purpose of the seduction in the first act was all about. At times it felt like this a female character who’s been written by a man. The tone felt more dark comedy than a suspense read.
Wow!! I went into this no entirely sure what the overall premise would be and it turned out to be absolutely not what I was expecting! Your jaw will be I  the floor as your dragged through this fast paced tale with barely time to catch your breath. Absolutely amazing!I loved it
Fast paced, tense and incredibly plotted. This was a read that I couldn't put down and I read it really quickly. I loved it,
A woman and a man alone on a desert island.  It is their honeymoon.  It is also where she plans to murder him in revenge for what he did to her family.  Who are they, what did he do, how will she kill him and why?  That in summary is the opening scene and the rationale for this thriller.  Beyond that I find it difficult to give any information about the plot, or the characters which would not stray into spoiler territory.  Even naming the protagonists might spoil some of the twists in this ingenious plot. It is safe to say that the two people on the island are of Indian ancestry and that the woman is the more prominent in the story.
The story is told mostly from the POV of the characters at the centre of the three acts and the two entr’actes.  The characters are all well drawn, especially in their use of idiomatic language.  The woman  on the island, in particular, appears to talk in a Gen Z dialect, which I found quite entertaining and even educational.  Speaking of language and erudition, the quality of the writing overall is extremely good and there is depth in the text which is unusual in this genre (the author is a polymath).  The complexity of both the plot and the writing can make it feel slow to develop, but actually I found I was moving at quite a pace, particularly towards the end,  and was one of the fastest 400 pages of intricate prose I have read in recent years.  It is not without flaws, but overall these are of no consequence to the clever and convoluted plot.
I would like to thank NetGalley, the publishers and the author for providing me with a draft proof copy for the purpose of this review.
I am really humming and hawing about this book for the most part I really enjoyed it but sadly at times the story seemed to drag and I felt bogged down in overly descriptive passages and wordiness. I admit I did consider giving up on the book a few times but was then hit with a big twists that grabbed my attention and immediately I got back into the story. I think that what kept me reading the book was the excellent plot line it was clever and had as I said some really good twists, the characters were all well crafted but the story just seemed never ending and I usually enjoy a long read as I like to get immersed in them but for some reason this just didn’t happen for me in this particular read.
So just a 3 star read for me but still an enjoyable read in parts.
My thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Michael Joseph UK for giving me the chance to read the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
A Kiss After Dying is not what I expected.
The blurb had my attention and I expected it to be  a thriller, enemies to lovers, plot twist shocks throughout and while some of that is true. This is not a love story!

I found the read addictive, while I didn't always love the style of writing I found the story well paced and I enjoyed the twists that kept going. There was always enough going on that kept me invested.

I enjoyed the main characters, a strong WOC who is out for revenge and will stop at nothing to succeed. I don't want to go into to much detail because there is so much that can be spoilt, but I would definitely recommended this if your looking for a thriller with a bit of a different take.

I feel like this would make an excellent book to movie adaption.

Thank you to NetGalley and Michael Joseph for an E-arc copy of this, I really enjoyed.
I thoroughly enjoyed this title, and when I thought I had it figured out came the twist and turns to throw doubt into the equation.
Well written and good character development along the way helped to integrate with the main protaganist.
Well worth the buy.
Wow. What a book! I thought from the blurb that I would like this. I already think it’s going to be one of my favourites this year!

I love thrillers and I love espionage. This feels like both. It’s a story about revenge. And boy is it served cold. A strong female WOC protagonist who is hell bent on revenge. I would not mess with this woman! I loved everything about this book. It drew me right in and there were things I didn’t see coming. I can’t say because it would spoil things but I just couldn’t put this down.

This would also make a good film. It is fast paced, unpredictable and is full of twists and turns. Read it. You won’t regret it.
Revenge is a dish best served cold and this book is written with this in mind. Lots of twists and turns. A real page turner. Highly recommended
Revenge Served Very Cold…
Fluid and well paced suspense in this gripping tale of revenge served very cold. The premise is well played out, twists and turns abound and characters are well drawn and credible. Hannah is a dangerous and feisty protagonist and is well portrayed here with a slickly constructed plot. A gripping, pacy read.
A can’t-put-down book!… I read late into to the night because I just had to know what the ending was going to be. Phenomenal... I could not put it down... took my breath away and I gasped out loud. OMG… My goosebumps had goosebumps
I really wanted to love this book, it had everything it needed to be an amazing story but it just missed the mark for me.
I gave up numerous times and then had to force myself to keep on reading. The majority of the time it just felt like the story wasn’t going anywhere and then suddenly the scene would end with plot twist that just seemed totally off script.
I would recommend that people give the book a go if they like the style of writing then the book will be a winner because the storyline is amazing.
A Kiss After Dying is a slow burner about female assassins with a secret. From the onset, this book was full of promise of a tale of daring deeds and shocking insights into the world of a killer but in reality, it went into too much detail of the relationships they had with the targets. It just didn’t hit the mark for me I’m afraid.. The cover is attractive and enticing and the blurb exciting but the content left me dwindling as to whether I could finish it or not, as my mind kept wandering. I did finish however and actually I quite liked the ending.
Thank you to Michael Joseph for this ARC. A twisty, pacy thriller with a WOC as protagonist. A story of revenge which, as the saying goes, is best served cold. It’s honestly hard to say much more without giving something away. It was great to see a WOC hell bent on revenge, thus subverting the usual obedient stereotypes. In fact, Banker does this deliberately with the character of Hannah and her interactions with Ricky. The author has a distinctive voice, that very occasionally slips into the male gaze (he writes mainly from a female POV) and the references are very millennial, which I found a bit alienating as a Gen X reader. I could have done with a bit more connection to Hannah’s family; the reason for the revenge plot, so that the reader can feel what she feels simmering beneath her need for vengeance. But overall, the narrative zipped along and kept me turning the pages to see what happened, and that’s exactly what you need in a thriller like this. It’s definitely worth a read.
A super smart and slick revenge thriller that is brilliantly plotted and with an incredible kick-ass female protagonist. I loved this!
I thought this was going to be something different to what it was, and at first was quite excited about it.  But unfortunately i didn't feel like it quite led up to the beginning and at times I found it quite hard to be believable and some of the scenarios didn't seem to be possible.  It was still an enjoyable read, but a little too much in places.
I was so disappointed with this book, it had all the ingredients to be amazing but somehow I just didn’t click with it.  The revenge plot was excellent from start to finish but I think I just didn’t gel with the style of writing.  Numerous occasions in the first half I found myself wanting to give up.  It felt too descriptive and went off on a tangent that felt unnecessary to the storyline.
Overall I am glad I finished because the final 20% was actually really good, the pace picked up and it was all thrilling action. I often find thrillers have disappointing endings which this certainly didn’t for which I would give a 5 star rating but I have to rate the entire book which unfortunately would have to be a 3 as it was painful getting to that exciting end.  Such a shame as a really good storyline.
#AKissAfterDying #NetGalley
A Kiss After Dying is one of those hugely addictive page turner's, the kind of book you start then can't bear to stop until you've devoured every word.

This is a revenge thriller that happens to also have well rounded, deeply intriguing characters. It is pacy and clever, with a big dose of unpredictability, you are never quite sure what is going to happen and its full of moral ambiguity in its portrayal of a determination to get the protagonists version of justice.

Its a bit Game Of Thrones in a way. Clever and in a lot of ways thought provoking. I really loved it. Highly Recommended.