Cover Image: The Secrets of Sainte Madeleine

The Secrets of Sainte Madeleine

At first it took me a while to get in to the story and understand the way. It had been written. Once I got in to it I couldn't put it down. A great story that just rolls along very nicely.
It was an enjoyable read, a fully expected ending that left me feeling very happy.  Characters were quite true to life. A book to curl up with at any time of the year.

Thank you to Netgalley the author and publishers for an ARC in return for an honest review
I thoroughly enjoyed the 1920s start which then expand over 5 decades. This book is full of family drama and everything surrounding them. A nice little drama book.
This one was a lovely read. I really enjoyed reading this one. I just love this kind of books.
4 stars read for me
The book spans many decades and follows the lives of, the Salignac family, a wealthy vineyard family. A gripping story of family, love, life and loss.
Thoroughly enjoyable read.
My first Tilly Bagshawe book, at first I was a little confused but it soon passed when I worked everything out.
A thought provoking and griping family saga, absolutely fabulous characters involved in the issue of inheritance (which no matter what walk of life always causes issues).
Surprise plot twists made for what I thought was an exciting read.

Highly recommended.
I thoroughly recommend this book. A family saga over three generations set in France, London, USA and Greece before and after WW2..  The characters were engaging, the story engrossing and culminated in a satisfying ending.
An epic saga that just rolls along very nicely, something a little bit  different for this author.

On the whole an enjoyable read, a fully expected ending that left me feeling very happy.  Characters were quite true to life, some you like, some you just don’t! Interesting facts about wine making added to the wholesomeness of the book.
Lovely book to curl up with at any time of the year.

A family saga that spans the generations. Fairly explosive from the start but the spark petered out towards the end. Lots of promise of scandal and unrest but it never really came to anything. Enjoyable but does not live up to its promise.

A thoroughly enjoyable book if a little frustrating at times with the twists and turns of the romantic liaisons.  Set between two wine worlds, France an d California, over many years from before WWII to present day.  Covering the Germans occupying France and taking over the French home of Sainte Madeleine, the problems of alcoholism, and sibling rivalry and love.  Really got the feel for all the characters, great descriptive writing.
Gosh I was excited to see a Tilly Bagshawe novel and this lived up to EVERY expectation I had, and some. I saved it for a hospital stay, knowing I would have the time to devote to it, which was a good call because I found it almost impossible to put down.
It is impossible to do justice to the description of Sainte Madeleine, it stood the test of years and years of troubles. A lot of sadness, a lot of death, and yet also hope and an unwavering solidity which gave the family hope that things could always improve if they trusted the magic of the butterflies
It is such a complex story, spanning decades and continents and yet the characters are so well written and introduced that I never became confused about who was who.
Just a magical story- would highly recommend.
The story follows the Salignac family, the children Elise, the youngest, Alex, and Laurent.
I normally love Tilly Bagshawe's books but I just couldn't settle with this one.
I'm so sorry.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity. xx
I'll be completely honest, as I was starting the book I was a little confused and thought this isn't for me - however I carried on reading and I'm glad I did. I soon found that I was hooked and needed to find out more and more about the Salignacs and how the story unfolded. I honestly couldn't stop reading and the twists and turns in the families lives just kept coming. A brilliant read.
I think this is only my 2nd or 3rd book by tilly bagshawe, but I will certainly read more. I was lost in this book and wanted to finish it, yet I did not want it to end. I would highly recommend this book and intend to soak up all these authors' books. I would highly recommend this book to all. You will get swept up in the drama.
I absolutely loved how this novel let you travel the decades with the characters. It most definetly is a tale of lost love and second chances.
I literally love Tilly Bragshaws books and this one is no exception. This is a historical book which is set in the 1920s and moved on to the second world war. It is about the love, and secrets that are held within a family and what you would do to protect each other. It is well written with great characters.it is filled with love, lies, family troubles, and a sweeping love story.
Elise loves Laurent but she loves her beloved Sainte Madeleine more. Follow Elise and her family through the years 1923 to 1971. I loved Elise, I hated her, I understood her, I didn’t understand her. What would you do to get what you wanted? An amazing story of love, pain and loss
Elise would do anything to inherit Sainte Madeleine, the vineyard that’s been home to the Salignacs for generations. Only Laurent Senard, a distant cousin, is a rival for her heart – yet when a family rift sends her on a new and dangerous path, she risks losing them both . . .
An interesting family saga drawn through the troubles of inheritance of a well established vineyard. Inheritance always causes trouble and for this vineyard more than most. The characters are well drawn  and flow through the timeline, leading you from generation to generation. The plot incorporates historical points easily and it feels natural. The twists surprise and delight.
An exciting book to read
The Secrets of Sainte Madeleine is a historical family saga centred on a vineyard in Burgundy, and three generations of the Salignac family and their distant relations, the Senards.

Elise Salignac feels an affinity with Sainte Madeleine from an early age. When she stands to inherit the vineyard, she'll do anything to make it hers.
Elise's older brother, Alex, turns his back on the vineyard after a family fallout, opting to open his own vineyard in Napa, California. With new ties in the US, will he ever return to France?
Elises's first love, distant cousin Laurent Senard, returning from the war in Spain, also has his eyes set on the chateau.
Through a maze of secrets, family friction, love, death and arguments, Sainte Madeleine remains the central character of the story.

The book is epic, spanning over 500 pages, 50 years, three generations and 5 countries. Despite this, as the reader you never feel that it's too long or too detailed, or that there's too many characters to keep up with. Like Tilly Bagshawe's other novels, the writing is fluent and engaging, but the historical angle is something new for fans of this author.
Definitely a holiday read you'll find yourself engrossed in!
Perfect escapism! I fell in love with Sainte Madeleine and the Salignacs from the first couple of chapters - exuberant Elise, the measured Alex and the more sensitive, quiet Didier, along with Laurent and Thierry their distant cousins. With just the right amount of historical detail, but never getting too bogged down, the action moves swiftly around France and Europe, and ranging further afield, whilst following the lives of the family through the turbulence of the 20th century, always keeping you guessing as to what twists and turns of life await everyone, as characters spin in and out of others lives. A book to curl up with, with the sun on your face and a glass of something lovely by your side.