Cover Image: Deadly Caller

Deadly Caller

Deadly Caller is yet another novel by OMJ Ryan that never fails to get the gears moving. There’s only one thing you should do when seeing this in bookstores – THAT IS INSTANT BUY. It won’t be a shock to find out that Ryan’s skill impressed me from Jane Phillip’s first outing. He instigated my love of police procedurals and has only made that love grow stronger. The author has used the technology of a pandemic world and made it deadlier! A murder was witnessed over a zoom meeting. I’ve come to expect the unexpected from Ryan, but this is another stellar outing for Phillips and her team!

“There is no such thing as coincidences in major crimes!”

Deadly Caller can make us take a long hard look at society. Matthew Rice is dead witnessed over zoom by the supplier, Antonia Berry in Edinburgh. It’s traumatic and vivid and she has a hard time explaining what she saw. Soon thereafter, Rice’s colleague is knocked down in a suspected hit and run. Soon another colleague is killed in a sniper attack. The hunter became the hunted. The team is against the clock to catch the perpetrator.

The CEO is set to become a very rich woman with the company entering the stock market. She is the only survivor is it possible she arranged to have the other directors killed to win big…nearly a billion pounds big. The exploration of how money is a massive motivator hit me in the face. It makes you think about those difficult truths and how society views the significance of money. Ryan manages to put us into the centre of the crime – potential suspects are interviewed and as more information is leaked the more you feel the injustice, the hatred, and the anger.

As always Deadly Caller has the perfect pace. The action is like a bullet ricocheting around a windowless room. The reader is always rooting for the team which just works well together. Phillips, Jones, Entwhistle, and Bov. There’s enough comedy between them to have light relief from the seriousness of the crime and some romantic action for Phillips. It was a refreshing change when the killer is revealed early on which leads to a hugely exciting high-octane chase.

Ryan knows what makes a crime fiction novel tick. His readers get something new each time. Foreboding and tension. Brutal and compelling. I’m hooked and OMJ Ryan is now an automatic buy.

Deadly Caller is a sharp, super readable instalment in the Jane Phillips detective series. It stands out from the crowd for the characterisation and plot that you end up caring about. Crime Fiction of the highest order.
DCI Jane Phillips and her team in the Major Crimes Unit have been assigned a case in which the victim Matthew Rice is murdered during a business meeting. As the team begins to investigate, they uncover crucial information which makes the case more complex. Multiple suspects fit the role as the company in which Matthew worked for, Ardent Technologies in Manchester is not what it seems. There are conspiracies occurring within the company and ex-employees are standing up for their rights which makes Jane suspects that an ex-employee is responsible for the threat and murders that are occurring. Not only has Matthew Rice been subjected to a fatal outcome, but also another employee Cherie Howard. The team must now be on guard to prevent the deaths of the remaining members on the board of Ardent Technologies.

Deadly Caller is a thrilling story with an interesting turn of events. The main character Jane is determined and team-oriented. She thinks that her job is too demanding and her personal life will be affected, hence she tries to avoid getting close to anyone, that is until she decided to go out with a doctor. They are in the ‘puppy-love stage’ and Jane still faces the demons of her past which prevents her from fully trusting people. Later in the novel, Jane realizes that it is not healthy to continue to be alone and it is necessary for her to spend time away from work.

The CEO of Ardent Technologies, Lesley Bailey is a rude and greedy woman who stops at nothing to get want she wants. She does not care that her colleagues are being murdered as this also benefits her in the long run. Her safety is the top priority of the Major Crimes Unit, but she is difficult to work with, and convincing her is making Jane’s job even more challenging.

The plot of the story was quite captivating, and I liked the suspense. The story gave the impression at first that the killer was found and with the unexpected turn of events, the killer was still at loose. I sympathized with the murderer because he did what he did with reasoning and had every intention of carrying it out till the end. It was heartbreaking in the end and Lesley Bailey got what she deserved because of her crude and unkindly manner.

I found this novel to be an exciting thriller and mystery read. This is the first time I have read one of OMJ Ryan’s novel. It was an interesting crime novel and I look forward to reading the DCI Jane Phillips series. I would recommend this book to mystery and crime lovers. I also rate this book four out of five stars. I enjoyed it and thought the story development and characters were well written and relatable.
A good and interesting detective story, set in and around Manchester. I liked the detectives and the writing style. The case was believable and there was enough information so that you could follow the way the detectives minds worked when working out when solving the case. I did find it irritating that the detectives were referred to by their surnames throughout, also in their personal lives, but that is a minor point.
All in all a great read. Thank you to Net Galley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review . Owen Ryan is on my list of must read authors !

A Most Unusual Crime….
The sixth in the Detective Jane Phillips series of mysteries and the team is faced with a most unusual crime. A murder at a zoom meeting. Caught live on camera perhaps this should be a straightforward investigation? Not so. Another engaging installment with a credible cast of characters and an intriguing storyline. A worthy addition to the series.
Fast-paced and tense. I felt I knew Phillips personally and loved the way she manged her team and dealt with the investigation. Will read OMJ Ryan again.
Thank you to OMJ Ryan, Inkubator Books for allowing me to read an ARC of this book in exchange my review voluntarily.

I did enjoyed this book and I liked the plot very much. I really pleased to be back with the team. It's wonderful well written and I am gripped by the storyline. It hooked me from the beginning to the end. Definitely it's a thrilling read that it kept me on the edge of my seat. An intriguing and complex plot would keep you guessing and wondering what would happen next. Suspense and intrigue filled in all pages and it's unputdownable. Those characters are well-developed, strong and realistic. I absolutely love this series and I am additive to it. This series are such a success and made me couldn't stop reading it. It's a must read thriller. Don't miss it. You won't disappointed. It deserves  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I have not read any of the previous books by this author, so I had no preconceived ideas as to what to expect. Apparently, this is book six in the series, but I felt it can be read as a stand-alone novel quite easily.
This is the first time I have come across Zoom video conferencing in a murder, but it probably will not be the last. Neat idea though especially as writers have to keep up with the times. The author has researched his material well and crafted a really good mystery thriller.
I liked the storyline as it was just that tad different from the norm, and it was not too bogged down in police procedure.
DCI Jane Phillips as a character shows a strong robust style, but with a tender side. She is ably abetted by a host of excellent characters which make the story a joy to read.
A Deadly Caller is a faced paced murder mystery that will keep the reader enthralled and there are enough plot twists to keep the reader guessing.
I enjoyed Deadly Caller a lot and will have to check out the previous books in the series.
Thank you, Inkubator Books and NetGalley, For the ADC.
A page turner to the end! DCI Phillips and her team are racing the clock to find the killer that is targeting the four partners of a manufacturing firm.  I highly recommend this tnriller
I am so glad I found a new author in O.M.J. Ryan.  I was intrigued and drawn with the writing style of the author.  Deadly Caller is #6 in the Detective Jane Phillips series.  Though I had no issue reading Deadly Caller as a stand alone, I will definitely want to read the first books in the series.
Detective Jane Phillips is a likeable character with a wonderful sense of humor.  I loved the joking and witty conversations between Jane and her team.  It brings a lightness to the storyline.
All in all, Deadly Caller is a solid detective thriller that will certainly keep you engaged and entertained.
Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
DCI Phillips and her team with a case of murders at a technological plant.
Fast paced plot, with a lot of suspect, giving us the motive behind of why it was done. The characters and the police procedure seems authentic   Good series. Given ARC by Net Galley and  incubator books for my voluntary review and my honest opinion
A killer is on the loose that has DCI Jane Phillips and the team frantically trying to catch before they strike again…

OMJ Ryan is an author that really knows how to open a story and has you immediately invested and ready for what is sure to be a wild ride. This is definitely the case with Deadly Caller. It opens with a bang and just keeps getting better and better as the story progresses.

I really enjoyed this case and was happy to be back with the team as I was transported into the pages to help solve it. It hits the ground running from the outset, the tension immediately boiling away in the background that reaches fever pitch in the lead up to its outcome. It has been skilfully plotted and executed and I was surprised at how this one made me feel quite emotional when we learn why these particular victims were targeted.

As always the recurring cast of characters are perfectly created and they are what makes this series such a success in my eyes. They all bounce off each other well and have a real camaraderie. I loved seeing DCI Jane Phillips letting her guard down, showing the reader more of her vulnerable side in this one.

It is no secret that I absolutely love this series and Deadly Caller is once again another fantastic addition to it. It has in no way overstayed its welcome and I hope there will still be many more books to come.

Thank you to OMJ Ryan, Inkubator Books and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy of Deadly Caller, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Two people, an online business meeting. Before it’s over, one of them will be dead.
On a weekly Zoom call with her most valuable client, Antonia Berry is beyond horrified when she witnesses his murder – four-hundred miles away – live on her laptop screen.
DCI Jane Phillips and the Major Crimes Unit begin to investigate and at first it seems the victim is just a regular guy with no obvious enemies or connections to crime. But then, when a woman is killed in a seemingly random hit-and-run, they discover the two victims are closely connected. A coincidence? Or a double murder?
As the team dig deeper into the two attacks, they hardly have time to draw breath before a third victim turns up dead – once more with clear connections to the previous murders.
With the clock ticking, Phillips and her team pull out all the stops, desperate to solve the case before the killer strikes again. The only problem – the person most likely to be the next victim is also the number one suspect.
Can Phillips find the killer before another person dies? Or will her determination to serve and protect at all costs see her become the final victim of the Deadly Caller?

This was a thrilling read.
I read this in one sitting as I couldn't stop reading!
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I read a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
I've been following this series since the very beginning, and it is one of those detective thriller series that just keeps delivering. I couldn't resist adding book number six Deadly Caller to my shelves, and I can now confirm that it is without doubt yet another successful Detective Jane Phillips sequel. There is just something about the writing style, plot and characters that makes you want to keep turning those pages, and I can definitely recommend this series in general if you are a fan of the genre.

You can technically read Deadly Caller as a stand-alone as the case they are investigating is completely new, but I personally wouldn't recommend it as you will be missing out on the character background and dynamics that help understand Jane Phillips and the rest of her team. And you definitely won't understand the comments relating to Fox if you haven't suffered through her behavior in the previous books! I'm definitely glad we still mostly have the new dynamics with Carter in book six, as having to deal fit Fox as a character could get really annoying.

The plot in Deadly Caller is another solid one and without doubt makes for an interesting enough case, although things were quite obvious this time around as it was really easy to guess who was behind it very early on and there weren't too many plot twists or alternative suspects. That said, I still enjoyed reading this story as Deadly Caller has a healthy dose of banter between Jane Phillips and the rest of her team and it's always great spending more time with them. There are also developments in Jane Phillips' private life, which definitely make me curious about what will happen in the next book.
In short, Deadly Caller turned out to be another solid detective thriller sequel, and while slightly predictable and less intense than the previous one, it was still very much an entertaining ride.
Honestly, although I’m an avid crime drama, thriller, mystery reader, I’m not so fond of those set in the UK. When I selected Deadly Caller from the NetGalley list of “read now” books I didn’t pay much attention to the fact that it was set in the UK and was down in a series of books. Once I  read a few pages I decided to press on and it made for an afternoon’s entertainment. A good solid book, though not terribly complex.

I enjoyed Jane Phillips and her team, each with their own nickname and set of skills necessary to solving this case. I also enjoyed, not sure that’s the correct verb, but it will do, Lesley Bailey and her band of unethical, if not criminal, partners. It made for a good mix and feeling of sympathy for those they wronged who were intent on exacting their own justice.

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC and prompting my interest in more of the series.
Thank Netgalley, Inkubator Books, and Author O.M.J. Ryan for this ARC.

I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. Detective/crime novels aren't really my cup of tea but I quite enjoyed this one. It was filled with suspense and I enjoyed solving the crime right along side Jane, who I must add is a passionate detective.
In this latest installment of the DCI Jane Phillips series, she and her team are investigating a series of murders targeting the Ardent Technologies board of directors.  They manufacture construction materials, so at first it appears an odd choice of corporation to target.  But the more they dig into the financial aspects of this company, the more it begins to make sense.  The owner is one of the most unpleasant people they have come across - callous and seemingly uninterested in finding the perpetrator.  She reminds Jane of her former direct boss, Chief Constable Fox, and she can't help but draw constant comparisons between the two.  But the team will need her cooperation to get to the heart of the motive behind these crimes before this obvious suspect becomes the next victim.

There's also a romantic plot theme weaved through the story - Jane has started dating Adam, the doctor she met through her brother.  They are happy in each other's company and seem to understand the constraints that their jobs put on their personal lives.  He's the first man who really gets how devoted she is to the job because he's the same way.  But he makes a critical error in judgement that leaves her second guessing their relationship.

The story and characters kept my interest, though the romantic element became a bit soppy at times.  The work/life dilemma is one typically explored in procedurals but I like how it's addressed here since Jane's character seriously needs more of a social life than just her cat!  Figuring out the killer's identity may not have been as intriguing as usual, but it's a nice change to focus on the pursuit rather than the uncovering.  Overall, another good entry in this series.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Inkubator Books for an advance copy of Deadly Caller, the sixth novel to feature DCI Jane Phillips of Greater Manchester Police’s Major Crimes Unit.

Matthew Rice is on a Zoom call with one of his suppliers, Antonia Berry, when his doorbell rings. She hears a scream and then the laptop is closed. A day later Matthew’s co-worker is knocked down in a targeted hit and run. Who is killing the directors of Ardent Technologies and why?

I thoroughly enjoyed Deadly Caller, which is an absorbing read with plenty of twists and turns. The novel is mostly told from Phillips’s point of view so the reader can guess along with her as the information becomes available. This novel is slightly different from his predecessors as the killer’s identity and motive are established by about two thirds of the way in, leaving the last third to become a high stakes, high octane chase. And boy, does it deliver on that front. To really nitpick, the final action scenes lack a certain plausibility but the tension and excitement more than make up for it.

I like Jane Phillips, who is a tenacious investigator, overly dedicated to her job. Once again this novel deviates from the norm and gives Jane an outside interest and no injuries. Hopefully it will give her the better work/life balance her team want for her.

Deadly Caller is a good read that I have no hesitation in recommending.
This is the first book I have read of this author and it seemed like it's phoned in. The first third of the book was okay. It seemed interesting. Fast paced. But I wasn't enamored of the writing style. Seemed amateurish. Which is surprising since this is the 6th book.

The middle got boring and the final third just dragged on with no mystery. The romantic scenes were just puerile.

I'll probably try one of the earlier book to see if this was a one off.
Thank you Netgalley and Inkubator Books for the eARC.
This book had a good start, I enjoyed it, but then it started to get boring and strangely wooden, it couldn't hold my interest.  The first two books in this series were interesting when it featured Jane's PTSD, but this particular story didn't do it for me and her 'romance' felt unrealistic.  Sorry!  I also couldn't find it on Goodreads to share my review.
Great book!! Loved this one!! It had it all! Suspense, action, intrigue, drama and a great storyline! I'm really loving this author !! I've read a few of this authors books now and I'm definitely hooked! I highly recommend reading this book and series! They are well worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!