Cover Image: Christmas at the Village Sewing Shop

Christmas at the Village Sewing Shop

I thoroughly enjoyed this story of Christmas and families and all the messiness that results from both. The book had real and I really enjoyed being back in lantern square
A lovely cosy Christmas read I would definitely recommend.

A story of three sisters who used to be very close. Nicknamed The Three Sewing Girls by their grandad who was over the moon they loved sewing as it was the family business - a sewing shop. There is also a family secret to be revealed.

The sisters sadly grew apart and two of them lost interest in sewing. One is now married with two sons but her marriage is far from perfect. Another left Butterbury to become a midwife and then travel. The youngest daughter stayed to help her widowed mum run the shop although her heart lies in photography.

When Loretta, the girls’ mum, pleads with them all to have a family Christmas with their grandad they are concerned he may be seriously ill and all agree to put their differences aside for the sake of their beloved grandad.

Will they build bridges and become a tightly knit family again?

Well I was certainly hoping they would.
I enjoyed the way the book was written from the mother and each daughter’s POV in alternating chapters. I got to know each daughter and the mother and the reasons for their choices in life.

I also enjoyed the possibility of romances between the two single sisters and two brothers who all grew up in Butterbury.

The Christmas theme yarn bombing was brilliant. I live seeing photos of post boxes with knitted Christmas tops pop up in the news!

I was very surprised to read in the acknowledgements that the author was not a quilter as it felt like it was written from the heart. The girls bonded over making a quilt for their grandad and it was the focus of the story.

I truly did fall in love with this gorgeous story.
What a great way to get into the real spirit of Christmas; family, friends , giving and togetherness.
Mum Loretta has been in charge, with the assistance of youngest daughter Daisy, of Butterbury Sewing Box since her parents passed it on to her. Sisters Daisy, Fern and Ginny have grown  apart and rarely spend quality time together, but this Christmas Loretta has some very important potentially life changing news, and she gathers her girls around her.
With family secrets and scandal to explain, this will be a Christmas to remember.
A lovely festive story.
A festive, heartwarming and well written story about family, secrets and coming together.
I thoroughly enjoyed it as it's well written and the characters are fleshed out and relatable.
The author did it again and I liked this story, rooted for the characters and enjoyed the atmosphere.
The setting is lovely and the descriptions made me wish I could travel there.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
I loved this book. Three sisters who are all grown up, with interests of their own, who only see each other once a year at the family Christmas gathering. But this year is going to be different because their mum has a huge secret to tell them together, however she needs a plan as they don’t all get on well together anymore. So with grandads help and failing health, they need to come back and see him, before it’s too late. They do this as they love both their grandad and their mum but with huge concerns about the relationship with each other. Not only on there return do they realise their love for each other but that family means everything. Add into this realising that your still in love with your 1st love, that you don’t need to be perfect and the secret is wonderful.
A quick and easy read that I found myself picking up after a long day to unwind. The characters are beautifully written and I came to love them within the first few pages and was rooting for them all the way to the end. At times I wanted to stop reading because I just wanted the experience to go on for longer.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Christmas at the Village Sewing Shop - Helen Rolfe

I received an advance review copy for free thanks to NetGalley and Orion Publishing Group and I am leaving this review voluntarily

Can three sisters stitch their family back together?

Loretta loves running the little village sewing shop in Butterbury. Some of her most precious memories are sitting with her three daughters Daisy, Ginny and Fern, stitching together pieces of material - and their hopes and dreams.

Having previously enjoyed books by Helen Rolfe, and being a crafter myself this book screamed out at me to be read. It is a beautiful and emotional story about family. Helen has written a festive and heart-warming story that I would happily recommend.

In a change to what I expect from Helen, this book does not necessarily focus on romance. Without the romance aspect of a Christmas book it was difficult to work out what path this book was going to take - ultimately as a reader this kept me more engaged.

Rating 4/5
Thanks to netgalley for the chance to read this book.

Another great book from Helen.

Loretta has three daughters Daisy, Ginny and Fern, she feels their relationship is falling apart at the seems and comes up the a plan to stitch the sisters relationship back together.  She decides to host Christmas and get all the sisters back together.  She gets them working together on a new quilt for their grandad which in turns helps stitch the girls back together.
I’ve long been a fan of this author and have read and enjoyed many of her books.  They are always filled with great stories and plenty of romance.  Naturally, I expected more of the same, but was pleasantly surprised.  For this story, romance took a back seat and let family ties be the main focus.
I loved all the characters in this story but felt drawn to Daisy.  The three sisters are all quite different, Fern is married with a couple of children, Ginny is an adventurer and Daisy seems to be a homebird.  At least, those are the impressions from the opening chapters.  As the story unfolds, we learn that those assumptions are wrong and that the sisters have also judged each other unfairly. Their common bond, beside an historic love of sewing, is their love for their mother and their ageing grandfather.
I read this book in a single session and enjoyed every minute of it.  I kept second guessing which way the story would go, but with less emphasis on romance, it was difficult to guess what was coming next.  There are some huge surprises for the family to deal with and they each are faced with accepting the results of their actions.  Whilst romance may be lower down the list, there is a very happy ending.
This is a Christmas book with a difference.  It brings the focus back to the joy of family and revisits the secrets of years gone by.  As each secret is revealed, there is a chance for the family bonds to become a little stronger.  I am now left wishing that I could sew, as I would love a Christmas Quilt.
Thanks to Orion Publishing Group and Netgalley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for a review.

I'm not sure I've read any Helen Rolfe books before but what a delight this one was.   Set in the village of Butterbury and in particular the sewing shop, Loretta is keen to get her 3 daughters back together and to celebrate a family Christmas at last.

A really lovely feel good Christmas story and I'll be looking out for more books by Helen.
I absolutely loved this book. Butterbury sounds like the perfect place to stay and the sewing shop sounded like it was a delight to shop in.  This was an excellent festive read and one although I wanted to know the ending didn't want it to end if that makes sense.  I loved all the characters and the story flowed beautifully.  As a long time quilter I know just how quilting bring people together and how friendships are formed with the love of the craft.  Crafters are lovely supportive people.  It made me both smile and cry.
Another lovely book from Helen. Her books are really easy reading.

This one was right up my street as I love crafting. Being set in a sewing shop that also included yarn etc was great.

I found the book dealt with grief exactly as it is. Having lost both my parents I could relate to that part especially.

Thanks Helen and Netgalley for another enjoyable Christmas book.
Another super book by Helen. Set in Butterbury, where Loretta runs the village sewing shop. Her three daughters join Loretta in creating a festive quilt with hopes that they can mend their lives.
I really loved this book  it is a perfect cosy festive read. Family reuniting for Christmas and all coming together to help each other, it is just so heartwarming.
This is a standalone novel, but there were visits to Lantern Square for the festivities.
I loved reading about the crafts and sewing. I am absolutely useless at sewing, but it sounded interesting and fun.
 There were a lot of characters, but it was easy to follow. The storyline is enjoyable and it is well written. This is the perfect book to curl up with.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for my ARC.
A lovely Christmas story of family secrets, reconnecting and sewing. Great characters you can believe in, in a wonderful Christmas village setting
Well worth reading.
I love a Christmas book at any time of the year but even more when the weather changes. An enjoyable read. Well done.
What a lovely festive read! Loretta's family have run a sewing shop in a little village for generations. Sewing is in the family blood, and Loretta's three daughters, Fern, Ginny and Daisy, were all integral in the making of a family quilt when they were young. Various life events have seen the sisters lose their close bond - can Loretta encourage them back to each other with the help of their grandfather?

I really enjoyed this book. I sew myself, and I loved the theme running throughout, getting the sisters to recreate a special gift. The descriptions of the beautiful fabrics made me want to sew, but I couldn't stop reading to do so! I loved the individual stories of the family members, all beautifully woven together. A fantastic book to get you in the mood for Christmas!
The sewing shop in Butterbury village has been passed down through Loretta's family and she has been running it with her daughter Daisy since her husband passed away. The 3 sisters have all fallen out and gone their seperate ways but Loretta has something she needs to tell them so asks them to all come to stay for a few weeks before Christmas. So the sisters agree she tells them its to make sure they make it a memorable one for their grandad. The sisters think that their grandad is ill so all agree to come
Daisy loves photography but stayed to run the shop with her mum,  Ginny is a locum midwife who loves to travel and used to love sewing and Fern is married with 2 boys but feels like she is failing if she isn't in control
They are brought together sewing a new Christmas quilt for their grandad and all the past hurts and secrets come out
A lovely festive story
I received an advance copy of, Christmas at the Village Sewing Shop, by Helen Rolfe.  This is a great Christmas book.  To curl up by the fire with a quilt and this book, would be so nice.  The characters are lovely.  You can not pick your family, but this is a really good family.
Wow wow wow. A lovely story of 3 sisters who had drifted apart with the death of their father. They came back to their home village thanks to their mother and grandfather and bonded over quilting. Brilliant. Christmasy and intriguing. Family secrets coming out. . Everything you want in a book and old love rekindled. Perfect and a proper ending