Cover Image: The Country Village Winter Wedding

The Country Village Winter Wedding

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a free ARC of this book. I have chosen to write this honest review voluntarily.
This is the first book I have read by this author; although it forms part of a series it can be read as a standalone.
The setting is the run-up to Christmas in a village. Hazel has just moved there after the collapse of her longstanding relationship, and has decided to set up running a wedding planning business, as she had done previously. However, she doesn't seem to have done any research as she struggles to get bookings and then seemingly spends a few weeks looking for a venue - it's a good job she has nothing else to do! Oh, wait, she has the offer of a free check up for her cat, but she doesn't even organise that or register herself with a doctor or dentist until she's several weeks in to her new life! I found the narrative style rather slow; it includes the comments 'as long as ... a registrar .... was present' and 'marry in December and it was likely to be cold' - surely this is obvious to any reader? She holds a meeting with her clients in the pub, and after discussing the presentation about a place to hold the wedding Hazel prepares to leave, reminding them "don't forget that you need to give notice that you intend to marry ...." even if this is not part of her role as the wedding planner surely she should be providing them with a list of what needs to be done by each date? There is a mistake when we read the detail of Fenella making a cafetiere of coffee but by the time she sits down it has become tea.
This was too unrealistic and slow for me, sorry, I only read 25% before giving up.
I gorgeously uplifting feel good book. Filled with tonnes of Christmas spirit and joy, a sweeping romance, fantastic characters and a wonderful storyline. This book is perfect for the festive period.
Loved this book.and will definitely read the others in the series. This book made me laugh out loud a lot.
With thanks to netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review which I freely give.

I have read Cathy Lake before and really enjoyed her work. It was lovely to be back in Little Bramble for Christmas and a wedding. Double delight. I loved the snowflakes on the pages at the beginning of new chapters and to break up a chapter. This book is a dual story. The 2 main characters are Hazel & Jack. Both have broken hearts. They both come to the village for a new start. Hazel returns to village where she had a holiday here with her parents as a child. She was a wedding planner and was due to get married. The day before she was due to marry she arrived home early only to find her Fiancé with her business partner. Broken hearted she leaves her home in Scotland to make a new life for herself and Fleas, her faithful cat. Jack having lost his wife in a car crash goes to stay with his 'Big' sister and family for a few weeks for Christmas. Apart from his wife being killed Jack also finds out that his wife had kept a secret from him.

It is not long before Hazel is organizing her first wedding in the village. We gradually meet many of the residents, including Bella, Lee and children along with Jack. Clare and Sam are the couple getting married, I will not expand anymore as I do not wabt to spoil it. Clares family are funny.

I really enjoyed this read. If you have read Cathys Christmas show book and enjoyed it, you will love this. I can fully recommend this book and have no hesitation in the 5* rating.
Hazel Campbell is a wedding planner with a broken heart. Right before her wedding she found her soon-to-be-husband in bed with her best friend and business partner, so she decides to leave everything behind and start again in Little Bramble. With a new house and a new company, all she needs are clients. Everyone in Little Bramble is excited for the wedding of Clare and Sam and thanks to her charm and some brilliant ideas Hazel is hired to organize a winter wedding right before Christmas. Busy with the planning and still bruised by her past experience, romance and love are the last things Hazel is thinking about until she meets Jack who, like Hazel, is in Little Bramble for a new start. Will they find happiness together?

There are lots of things to love in this festive and romantic novel: engaging and likable characters, a beautiful setting, a winter wedding with lots of snow, a close-knit community feeling that comes out from every page, and a heartwarming and emotional story that kept me completely engrossed. I read The Country Village Winter Wedding in one day, captured by the author’s writing style and by the fantastic characters she created. Each character is relatable and authentic and I enjoyed their stories. Full of romance, friendship, and wedding planning, The Country Village Winter Wedding is the perfect story to get you in a Christmas mood!
4.5 Stars

Cathy Lake’s The Country Village Winter Wedding is an entertaining, enjoyable and engrossing tale brimming with humour, charm, warmth and plenty of heart.

The village of Little Bramble can barely contain its excitement – Clare Greene and Sam Wilson are about to get married and their wedding promises to be the event of the year. Everybody in the village simply cannot wait to put on their glad rags and watch the beautiful couple get married. However, Clare and Sam are busy people who seem to have underestimated just how much hard work and planning weddings require. With everything left to the very last minute, it doesn’t look like Clare and Sam’s dream wedding will take place any time soon – until Little Bramble newcomer Hazel Campbell steps in at the eleventh hour and saves the day!

The wedding planner has just moved to the village from Edinburgh. Hazel had thought that her life was as close to perfect as it was possible to get. She had it all from a successful career to a thriving business and a gorgeous fiancé – until she caught her bridegroom-to-be in bed with her best friend! Distraught, devastated and upset, Hazel had been left with no other choice but to pack her bags and leave her old life behind and move to Little Bramble.

The gorgeous village seemed like the perfect place to start over and with a wedding to organise, Hazel thinks that she has found the perfect distraction. Throwing herself body and soul into organising this wedding leaves her with little time to worry about her own problems. However, Hazel soon realises that in Little Bramble, she might just end up finding the happiness that she had long given up on – providing that she lets go of the past and embraces this unexpected second chance.

Cathy Lake’s The Country Village Winter Wedding is cosy festive reading at its best! Witty, warm-hearted, emotional and full of delightful characters it is impossible not to care about, The Country Village Winter Wedding is a superb tale of second chances, renewal, new beginnings and falling in love that charms and delights and is sure to have readers eagerly anticipating their next visit to Little Bramble.
As I said above, I really enjoyed visiting Little Bramble in the summer so I couldn't wait to return again in winter. One of the many great things about series like this is that you get to meet your favourite characters again, I loved seeing how Emma and Connor were getting on, as well as Harmony!

The second, well third thing to jump out at me was the names of Sam and Clare, back in June I married a Wilson myself so it felt a bit like a kindred spirit and I felt linked to them immediately (1 and 2 were the title and the cover).

Even though the book is focused around Sam and Clare's upcoming wedding, we learn more about Hazel and Jack, both suffering with broken hearts but ready for a fresh start. Hazel is lovely and I loved exploring the village with her, getting to see the different shops and aspects of the community, it was nice to be able to rebuild that image in my mind. I also love that her cat is called Fleas Witherspoon... I mean come on **. Jack is coming to terms with the loss of his wife but there is also something else there that we don't discover for a while which I have to say, kept me on my toes throughout wondering what it was as there are little hints.

Jack is staying with his sister's family, Bella, Lee and their two daughters Bobby and Penny who just couldn't be a nicer unit and welcome him in with open arms, warm fires and fresh coffee. When Bella bumps into Hazel at the green one morning it is the start of a beautiful friendship and you can see that they hit it off instantly. Plus you can't help but notice the looks between Jack and Hazel... is there something simmering there?!

I loved the run up to Christmas in this book, it was a really realistic timeframe as well, spending time at the Christmas market, going ice skating and decorating the tree, all activities that I enjoy. There was a true sense of magic throughout this book and I really wanted a happy ending for both Hazel and Jack, and Clare and Sam of course but I was definitely more invested in the former.

The wedding itself sounded so idyllic and I really liked the way that the community rallied round to make sure everything went ahead smoothly. If only I could be whisked away to Little Bramble for a cosy winter weekend, this book has left me wanting snow, eggnog, mulled wine and days wandering around a Christmas market looking at all the little trinkets!
Thanks to Bonnier Books UK, Zaffre and Netgalley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for a review.

I've only recently discovered the Country Village series thanks to Netgalley but each one I have read, I have enjoyed and this one is no exception.  A really lovely story and I was delighted to see that there will be a new book in the series next year.
A lovely story of two people who had been hurt in love. How they found a spark . It was great how Jack’s sister helped him and his nieces. Hazel was a strong character and an amazing wedding planner. Loved it. A real feel good book
This is a fantastic addition to the Country Village stories, warm, witty and filled with love and romance, this book gently tells the story of Hazel and Jack as they each navigate their way back from heartbreak.
Wedding planner Hazel must handle her move from Scotland to Surrey whilst mending her broken heart and planning a short-noticed winter wedding.  Seems like a tall order, but anything is possible when the residents of this gorgeous village pull together.
Jack has left his house on the market in Wales and sought comfort in the safety of his family.  Recently widowed, Jack is hiding a devastating secret that threatens to tarnish the memories of his marriage.
It was good to pick up on the wedding plans for Clare and Sam, they got together in the Christmas Show book, but don’t worry if you’ve not read it, this book works perfectly as a standalone story.
There are some fabulous characters in Little Bramble, and I can honestly say that I like them all.  Maybe it’s unrealistic to have so many lovely people in one village, but I think it’s a wonderful idea and one that we’d all benefit from.
In particular, I enjoyed Kyle becoming a focus in this story, his relationship with his Mum is enviable and I found myself chuckling along at some of his antics and comments.  More importantly, this book is inclusive.  There are same sex couples, elder couples and hetero, all living in harmony.  Speaking of Harmony (the rescue greyhound in book 2), we are introduced to two more 4-legged characters Aster the rescue greyhound and Fleas Witherspoon, the Ragdoll cat.
With well-developed characters, a fall of snow and a winter wedding, this is a gorgeous book to add to your list of Christmas reads.
If you’re looking to start feeling festive then this is a great way to start!
Hazel and Jack were incredibly likeable, indeed all of the characters were- apart from Valentine and Lennox of course! It’s a very detailed novel and Cathy Lake takes the time to set the scene and add lots of lovely festive events to the story line. It was lovely to see their relationship slowly develop, whilst they individually set out roots in little Bramble. Of course it has elements of being predictable but I think it’s what you sign up for with a lovely festive women’s fiction book!
Each year, I read my fair share of festive reads, and over more recent years, it is the time of year that I look forward to
Not being a romantic at heart, Its hard to understand why, but I just love the festive love stories
When the publishers sent me a copy of this book, I decided it was the time of year to start reading the festive reads
Cuddled up on the sofa with this book and a hot chocolate, with the rain on the window, confirmed I had made the right decision.

Hazel is such a loveable character. She has been hurt by Lennox - who I instantly hated and his partner, Valentina.
Jack, I just wanted to give him a hug and tell him how proud I was!
Bella - every girl needs a Bella in your life. I wanted to be her best friend
Lennox aside, I warmed to all these characters and enjoyed being part of their lives for the book
The book was warm, uplifting and the perfect pick me up book
The book has left me festive inside
Thank you so much for the gifted copy
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

There’s a wedding going to take place in the village of Little Bramble, that if Clare and Sam and everyone’s looking forward to it. But, the couple have left everything to the last minute, both being busy in work.

But, they’re in luck, as Hazel, a wedding planner has just moved to the village. In Edinburgh, she lived, what she was thought, a wonderful life, as well as a successful business. But, that was until she found her husband-to-be in bed with her best friend. Leaving everything behind she came here.

So, as she doesn’t have much time and there’s a lot to organise, throws herself into giving Clare and Sam a country village winter wedding. Along the way, she starts to get over what’s happened.

Also looking to get over his past is Jack, who’s come to spend Christmas with his sister Bella and her family……

And soon they both realise, that there may be a second chance at happiness……..

Absolutely love this series.
A quick and easy read that I found myself picking up after a long day to unwind. The characters are beautifully written and I came to love them within the first few pages and was rooting for them all the way to the end. At times I wanted to stop reading because I just wanted the experience to go on for longer.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A lovely winter book. Always good to read them anytime of year to be honest! Well written and enjoyable to read. Well done.
Hazel moves to Little Bramble after a terrible betrayal. She sets up a wedding planner business. She meets Jack who also has issues from before. Haven't read the Little Bramble series before but will definitely be looking for more
I'm not usually one for Christmas stories, I'm a bit bah humbug about the whole thing, but I loved The Country Village Summer Fete earlier this year, so I thought I'd give this book a go. I must be mellowing in my old age!

This is the third in the series, but it can be read as a standalone, but there are cameos from characters from the previous books to get the most out of this series.

I absolutely loved the pairing of Hazel and Jack. Both are carrying hurt from their past, Hazel from a cheat of a fiance and Jack from the death of his wife. It was sweet to watch their romance grow.

I have to say I have a bit of a soft spot for Jack. He cooks, cleans and is good with children, not to mention the fact he gave up his dreams to support his wife. He seems like the ideal man!

What I liked about this story, compared to the previous book, is there were a few more funny moments and there were a few scenes that made me snort with laughter.

The Country Village Winter Wedding is a sweet, Christmassy read that is the perfect blend of romance and feel good festive fun.
The country village winter wedding is a real festive feel good read, set in a lovely village location of Little Bramble a welcoming friendly community that open their hearts and homes to any newcomers which is what both Hazel snd Jack need!
Hazel has relocated here along with her wedding planning business and her lovable cat after her fiancée cheated on her, Jack recently widowed has come to stay with his sister Bella and her family for the festive period,both are damaged, vulnerable and still smarting from their previous lives but with time, help from Santa, friendly locals and a bit of romance in the air they are given a second chance at love in the most idyllic way surrounded by festive cheer, seasonal snowfall and family.
Brilliant characters both old and new, a winter wonderland of a wedding,and the chance of finding love again!
Thank you netgalley for this early read.
Great to return to Little Bramble Village, I have enjoyed all 3 books In this series, just a gentle Christmas story really lovely characters and a sweet setting beautifully described. Well worth reading
A beautiful read of two people with broken hearts bonded together in the little village of Little Bramble in Surrey. Such a beautiful feel good read that I just took to my heart. This is such a wonderful seasonal book that readers will love reading