Cover Image: FEAR ON THE FENS

FEAR ON THE FENS

This is the 13th in the Nikki Galena crime thriller series.  In this story, Nikki and Joseph find their hands tied by a government security agent who limits their ability to look into the past whilst trying to locate a serial killer whose family history is a major clue into his motivation and whereabouts. In the process they learn a lot about fairy folklore and nature worship. The story is pacey and the characters vividly described.  It is enjoyable for the reader to witness the life stories of Nikki and her team continue to develop through the series.  That Joy Ellis is an experienced an accomplished author is very evident as the quality of her writing is way above many of her competitors.  This novel has me looking forward to number 14 in the series.
My thanks to #NetGalley and #Joffe Books for an advance copy of #FearOnTheFens by #JoyEllis
Another brilliant read in the Nikki Galena Series.
A surreal and soooky tale centred around a little known illness with the culprit Lucas known to the police almost from the first page, but he seems to be able to disappear into his surroundings.
This book is so different to the earlier books and it took me a while to get into it.  I can’t say it was my favourite and I found it hard going in parts.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
DI Nikki Galena and team are tasked with a gruesome murder or three in this, the 13th, of the series. Harking back a couple of decades we have a man involved with secret programme working on psychic abilities; something pushes him over the edge, he murders a gardener and is then himself murdered. Much later his eldest son is interviewed by Nikki and relates the story of his younger brother, Lucas,  running away after the death of their father. The kids had developed a very Tolkien-esque world  in which Lucas, who might be dead, or not, lived/s.  Nikki's investigations of the murders are severely hampered by MI5 and, at times, one wonders who the bad guys really are. The murders are gruesome and somewhat over the top but then the whole story is that too. The writing is as good as ever, descriptions of the Lincolnshire Fens and life there excellent and I love the way Nikki's team work together and interact with the rather quirky forensic scientists. This gave it the 4* for me. The story definitely a 3* and not as good as usual though. Thanks to NetGalley and Joffe Books for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
DI Nikki Galena is based in the Lincolnshire Fens and covers a huge area with her team including partner and ex-soldier DS Joseph Easter. They live together but have to keep this low key as, if exposed, one of them would have to move stations. It's great to meet again the loyal team of DCs Cat Cullen and Ben Radley, and highly experienced veteran PC Yvonne Collins still helps out when Supt Cam Walker can borrow her from uniform. As Nikki and Joseph are briefed by Cam on a rather strange request to interview Harry Byrd, the brother of Lucas who has been missing for years, in the beautiful gardens of Shelley Hall a burnt and battered body is discovered on the very spot where a tree was destroyed recently. Surely not a coincidence, especially when one of their most dedicated gardeners is missing?
Julian Hopwood-Byrd had been recruited by the CIA in America to work on classified and rather questionable programmes involving psychic abilities which may have left behind many damaged minds. After returning to England he killed their gardener, and Harry is sure Lucas was instrumental in giving his father motive to do it. Then Julian was murdered by another patient in the secure psychiatric unit he was incarcerated in and Lucas ran away from home. There are so many questions that need answers. How did a 13 year old boy suddenly disappear with only a few belongings? Did someone help him and take him in? Where did he gain all his woodland knowledge and expertise and where has he been hiding for 20 years?
Then a man prepares to take an axe to a tree, little knowing he is sealing his fate in doing so in a most horrible way. Another man is on a mission to find and destroy the Elf King. He might be away with the faeries but a part of him is a brutal killer as he avenges the damage done to nature. The case is made even more difficult for Nikki and her team when a security blanket is thrown over the identity of their suspect. They are fortunate to receive civilian help in the form of ex DC Aiden Gardner and Nikki and Niall have their eye on a more permanent replacement if they can persuade Cam. But can the detectives catch a killer with a very unusual mindset who is unravelling faster than a puff of faery dust with one hand tied behind their backs before anyone else gets hurt?
I dearly love pathologist Professor Rory Wilkinson, with his camp black humour and assistants Spike and “Cardiff” Erin. There is a great feeling of genuine care and loyalty within the team of detectives, and this makes the story all the more enjoyable. The plot is wonderfully clever and superbly delivered, the characters beautifully described, and the scenery and setting of these books is perfect, as always. This series just gets better and better! I guessed part of the plot early on but the twists and red herrings left by this exceptionally talented author left me doubting myself at every turn and oh! what an ending lies in store for the reader in the latest and most impossible case to ever hit the Fens! And now I am off to research the rather intriguing idea of using cats as spies!  5*
The 13th entry in the Nikki Galena series has some gruesome murders and a connection to Stargate, the recruitment of psychics for studies by the CIA.  As usual,  seeing Nikki's team in action and the connection to the CIA's attempts at remote viewing kept me interested, but this was not my favorite in the series.
Stargate and Remote Viewing and Stargate: Controlled Remote Viewing

NetGalley/Joffe Books

Mystery/Thriller.  Oct. 14, 2021.  Print length:  400 pages
Nikki Galena and Joseph Easter are called to the Gardens of Shelley House to investigate.  A burned man is in a wheel barrow.  Some teens had broken in and set fire to a tree.  Now, one of those boys is found burning (he probably was still alive when the fire started) right where the tree had been burned the previous week.  Meanwhile, Nikki and Joe  are at the hotel reception to meet Harry Byrd.   Harry is in town to try to find his younger brother Lucas who disappeared when he was 13,  twenty years before.  Lucas recently sent Harry a letter to meet in in Shrimptown (Greenboro).  Lucas was probably the person who burned the teen in retribution for killing the special tree.

This a a very troublesome case.  The father of the two boys was a brilliant scientist who worked on a secret project for the Americans and returned a broken man who murdered his gardener and then was murdered himself.  The two boys were both a little odd, with Lucas very tuned into nature and fairies.  After Lucas has probably been the killer of two more men who chopped down a tree and drove a  motorcycle over a field, Nikki and Joe have still not been able to find him.  They were hampered in their investigation because they are not allowed to find any information about the father and the family.

Although I found the story a little farfetched, it was exciting and suspenseful as no one knew what would happen next.  The ending is very exciting with a surprise.
Detective Nikki Galena and Joseph Easter are called in to investigate when a body is found burned to a crisp.

More bodies follow as Nikki and Joseph start searching for a man who has been missing 20+ years. This man's father killed his gardener before being killed himself. It is his son who is now killing.

with talk of wood fairies, elves, trees with souls, Nikki and Joseph are going to have to dog deep to find a killer who maybe killing in the name of Mother Nature.

A unique plot and intriguing story line make this a compelling read. There's plenty of action and a huge twist that changes everything. Although 13th in the series, this is easily read as a stand alone. I would recommend starting at the beginning and watching how the character development has created some unforgettable characters.

Many thanks to the author / Joffe Books / Books n All Protions / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
If you haven't read any of this series previously then for the best enjoyment I'd read them all in order.

THE NIKKI GALENA SERIES
Book 10: DARKNESS ON THE FENS
Book 11: HIDDEN ON THE FENS
Book 12: SECRETS ON THE FENS
Book 13: FEAR ON THE FENS

From the 1st book, Crime on The Fens I have been well and truly hooked on this series. I've loved each and every book and have a strong liking for the main characters. Nikki and Joseph.
A fantastic working relationship between the characters in these books really adds to enjoyment of the stories.

Another nail biting case. Some great twists. The story felt quite unusual buy really interesting. another thrilling read.
🌳Unhinged killer, interesting twists but too long🤔

3.5🌟 stars
I am divided about how I feel about this DI Nikki Galena police procedural.  The twists start appearing in the middle of the book and then keep coming.  We know who the crazed killer is from the beginning and the murderer's motives, mindset and modus operandi are unusual.  I also liked the principal detectives and the way the investigative team gets along without friction.

But the repeated return to the story about the killer's father and newly-civilian Aiden's compulsion to keep digging into a side of the case that is patently off limits: this side of the plot I found less appealing and I felt just went on too long.  I also found the book's length in general a bit of a turn-off.

This was my first read of this series and maybe it's just the psi/scientific bent of the case that I wasn't wild about and had problems keeping me interested.  So I would probably try another book by the author.

Thanks to Joffe and NetGalley for sharing a complimentary advance copy of the book;  this is my voluntary and honest opinion.
My thanks to NetGalley and Joffre Books for this ARC in exchange my review.

This is book 13 in the DI Nikki Galena series of books but reads well as a stand-alone.  It's fantastic to read. I absolutely love this series and this for me is the best so far. It's well written with excellent plot as usual. The story is full of secrets and lies in which there are a lots of twists and turns that kept me engaged. I love all characters in this series, esp. I like relationship that Nikki and Joseph. Highly recommend. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Very strange and surreal read and not as thrilling, gripping or page turning as previous in the fens series
This is book #13 for DI Nikki Galena and her team set in the Lincolnshire Fens. In this outing they are contacted by a man whose schizophrenic father once worked for a clandestine faceless organization. The work the man did helped fuel his fantasies and sadly he passed those on to one of his two sons. It appears this troubled son has succumbed to his fantasy life, a life where the smallest slight could lead to murder. His brother is worried he's back in the area, highly unstable and may be a threat.  Before they can investigate this threat, the team are called out to Shelly House to a burned body. Has the brother already claimed his first victim?
This is a fantastic read for anyone who loves a good police procedural. I've been a fan of Nikki Galena from her first appearance and have enjoyed watching her progress from loner to team  player. Highly recommend this book and series.
Great book by a great author! I read this in 1 day! Was hooked from the get go! Thanks for the opportunity to read and give a review
A first-time reader of a new author would never start with the thirteenth book in a series, but Fear of The Fens by Joy Ellis proved unusually so. Despite her being such a prolific author with over twenty-five books and three detective series, this was the first encounter of DI Nikki Galena and her team. Whilst numerous references to presumably earlier books are made, the story was an enjoyable first time read. When a burnt blackened hand is found, the team is called in to investigate but get caught up in a remarkable case involving a dead scientist, his missing son, fairy folklore and oversight, and limitations by MI5. The story was somewhat convoluted, yet with conventual police investigation, climaxing in an unforeseen finale. For fans of DI Nikki Galena, a comparison to previous stories is impossible. However, as a crime novel and police procedural, this read has an average three-star rating. With thanks to Joffe Books and the author, for an uncorrected proof copy for review purposes. As always, the opinions herein are totally my own and are made without fear or favour.
Joy Ellis is one of my favourite authors and I love this series. Another great read, love Nicki and Joseph and their relationship and how they connect with the other main characters in each book. Another fast paced read, that left me guessing right up until the end.
D.I Nikki Galena and her partner D.S Joseph Easter have been pitted against all manner of adversary but this case leaves them feeling defeated from the start. Not only are they dealing with mental illness but they are being hampered in their attempts to track down a particularly vicious killer by agents from a nameless government agency.
This book captures the imagination from page one and continues to thrill the reader as the story progresses. No-one can be trusted and everytime you think you haved figure out what is going on there is another twist leading to a jaw-dropping conclusion.
This book can be read as a stand-alone but it will be all the more enjoyable if you start this fantastic series with book one. I highly recommend it.
A Gruesome Discovery…
The thirteenth in the DI Nikki Gallena series finds the Detective with a gruesome and disturbing discovery. When links to the past come to light the mystery deepens. Once again, an immersive and enjoyable storyline with a likeable protagonist and a colourful cast of supporting characters. A solid entry in this long running and engaging series.
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.   Another great read from this author,   her characters are so believable and it is a book you get thoroughly engrossed it.   I really liked it.
DI Nikki Galena #13

Now: In the beautiful gardens of Shelly House a shocking discovery is made. A blackened hand dangles over the side of a wheelbarrow. Detectives Nikki Galena and Joseph Easter are called in to investigate.

Twenty years ago: A family's destroyed by tragic secrets. The scientist father who killed their gardener, before be murdered himself. The brother who disappeared, never to be seen again. Nikki and Joseph must find the man who's been missing for two decades.

A man has been found brutally slaughtered beside a tree in an arboretum. DI Nikki Galena and her team are investigating.

This story spans over two decades and a dysfunctional family. We know who the perpetrator is and we get an insight into the reasons for his actions. There's plenty of twists in this story. I like the relationship that Nikki and Joseph share. This is an interesting and slightly different plotline to the normal police procedurals.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #JoffeBooks and the author #JoyEllis for my ARC of #FearOnTheFens in exchange for an honest review.
Superb! A strange case takes DI Nikki Galena and her team to the edge of reality.  Not sure where the truth lies and with unexpected restrictions on what they can actually investigate the team slowly unravel the deeply disturbing truth.  A shocking and unnerving story.