Cover Image: Christmas Hope for the Steel Girls

Christmas Hope for the Steel Girls

I loved this read, once again, the author has captured a magical story some happy and some sad moments to pull at her readers heartstrings. Hope is certainly in the thoughts of the characters throughout the book, The Steel Girls have so much courage and determination, absolutely loved it all.
I, unfortunately, missed the first book in this series but soon caught up on what had gone on. I took to the four main characters in the story straight away. Nancy was struggling big style with her husband away fighting in the war. It is 1939, and the nation was praying that the war wouldn’t go on long and the men that had all eagerly signed up would be home soon.

The story takes place in a factory in Sheffield, where parts for aircraft were being made. Certain professions were excused from fighting in the war because the goods were essential for the war effort. But some men had signed up to fight, which had left a need for their positions to be filled. The women of Sheffield had stood up to the challenge.

What a heartwarming read this was. Although Nancy, Betty and Patty were all very different, their work bound them together. The three of them had trained to work the huge cranes, which wasn’t a job that was thought suitable for a woman to do until the war began.

The community came together for a fabulous idea that they all got involved in, and friendships developed where it would have seemed impossible not too long ago. Along with a blossoming romance in unexpected places. This is a good feel story, a perfect pick you up.

I wish to thank Net Galley and the publisher for an e-copy of this book that I have reviewed honestly.
This was a brilliant read and is being featured on my blog for my quick star reviews feature, which I have created on my blog so I can catch up with all the books I have read and therefore review.
See www.chellsandbooks.wordpress.com.
Absolutely loved this book, such a lovely story especially if you enjoy war time sagas.  I really liked the 3 girls Betty, Nancy and patty who come from completely different backgrounds and forge a great friendship whilst working in a male dominated workforce.  Great read you will not be disappointed
An easy read based around a topic which frequently is forgotten.  Women working in the steel mills during the early part of World War 2 is not a subject often written about.  This book brings to life the hardship experienced by many of the women coupled with the concerns that many had for their menfolk who had gone off to war.  Core to the book are the friendships that were forged (excuse the pun) and determination to get through together, not just on an individual basis, and helping to care for one another.
I was rather disappointed with the book. I'd picked it because I love historical fiction and wanted to learn more about the steel workers and the women who took over from them during the war while men were away at the front. However, details of the factory were somewhat brushed over and whilst the effects of rationing and the cold winter were covered I still have liked more detail.
Mainly however, I felt the book was rather weak on plot. The girls/women who form a strong bond working in the factory set out to do all sorts of things to help those less fortunate than themselves but they have very easy. There are few difficulties for them to overcome so the reader doesn't become involved with them.
I hadn't realised that this was the second book in the series but it isn't necessary to have read the first one. The cliff hanger at the end of this book was the first real point at which I wanted to know what was going to happen next.
Sadly this was not for me, but my thanks to Netgalley and HQ for a chance to read an arc.
With their men away at war, the Steel Girls Nancy, Patty and Betty try to find ways to improve the lives of those struggling to manage. They set up the Care Club, providing clothing and support as they work.

Christmas Hope for the Steel Girls is a gentle story, but rather twee. I found the dialogue very stilted at times, even allowing for the period nature of the writing, and there were times when it felt as if it was written on a word count. Far too many adjectives in some of the paragraphs.

Sorry, not a story I could read fluently.
It is difficult for me  to rate this book as I realised very quickly that this was not the style of writing I would normally read so couldn't get into the story at all. My fault for requesting it based only on the word Christmas
This one is quite difficult for me to review as this book just wasn't for me.  For some reason, and this was definitely just down to my reading preferences, I was unable to connect with the book,  I just didn't sink into the story or experience that "can't put it down" feeling that I look for.  There was nothing specific I could criticise, it was just a mismatch of tastes.
I have been a fan of Michelle’s work ever since I had the good fortune to pick up a copy of ‘The Steel Girls’, which is the first book in the ‘Steel Girls’ series, back in April 2021. So when I heard that Michelle was due to release the second book in the series, I knew that I simply had to get hold of a copy as soon as I could. Well ladies and gents the wait is over because ‘Christmas Hope For The Steel Girls’ has now been released and it’s a cracker of a read and then some. I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘Christmas Hope For The Steel Girls’ but more about that in a bit.
IT didn’t take me long to get into ‘Christmas Hope For The Steel Girls’. In fact seeing the words ‘Steel Girls’ together with Michelle’s name on the front cover of a book was enough to grab my attention and the story within the book’s covers sealed the deal as it were. Once I picked this book up I just couldn’t put it down again. The book wasn’t exactly glued to my hand but it might as well have been because it travelled everywhere with me. I couldn’t bear to miss a single second of the story. I started reading ‘Christmas Hope For The Steel Girls’ and it didn’t take me long to feel as though I had been reunited with friends in the form of ‘The Steel Girls’ and some of the other characters. I became so wrapped up in the story that I lost all track of time and just how quickly I was getting through the book. All too quickly my time with ‘The Steel Girls’ came to an end and I had to say a temporary farewell to them. I found ‘Christmas Hope For The Steel Girls’ to be an emotive and gripping read, which kept me on the edge of my seat throughout.
‘Christmas Hope For The Steel Girls’ is superbly written. Michelle has an easy going writing style that is easy to get used to and easy to get along with. In fact reading one of Michelle’s books feels more like a chat between friends rather than reading a book. I hope that makes sense. For me the story hit the ground running and maintained a fairly fast pace throughout. Reading this book did take me on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of twists and turns, ups and downs so to speak. I thought that ‘The Steel Girls’ was good but for me, ‘Christmas Hope For The Steel Girls’ is even better. I have a feeling that this series will continue to get better and better and will go from strength to strength.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘Christmas Hope For The Steel Girls’ and I would definitely recommend this book to other readers. I will certainly be reading more of Michelle’s work in the future. The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
My thanks to netgally for the advance copy in exchange for an honest review, which I freely give.

I enjoyed this book, although it took a little while to get into it. Nancy, Patty and Betty cont inue working ant the Steel factory and set up a club to help those who are less fortunate. A new girl joins - Daisy - whose home life is really hard, her mother ill, she has to cook and look after her siblings and also wqork at the steel factory.  Patty and Betty have sweethearts, Wiklliam is in the RAF and Archie works at the factory.  We fdollow them and others in trhe lead up to Christmas.

nice read and I can recomend
I was a bit disappointed with this one. I absolutely adored Historical Fiction but I just feel like there wasn't much to this book. Not a lot happened throughout the book in my opinion.  I did like the friendship between the girls and how they stepped up to help Daisy when she needed it. The cliff hanger at the end of the book does have me wanting to know what happens.
A great sequel, I love the characters, great story lines even tho the ending was abrupt, really looking forward to the next installment.
A beautiful Christmas story. Follow Betty and her friends as they cope with husbands and partners away during wartime. The women have taken over the roles of these men in the workplace- namely the steelworks. It shows how the women in 1939 stepped in and all pulled together to help and support each other during this time. Michelle has written an excellent, atmospheric story about these remarkable women.
Thanks to Netgalley and HQ for the advance read of this book which was published 11 November. It is a heart warming and emotional read. Having loved the first in the series, I couldn't wait to catch up with Betty, Nancy and Patty again. I can't wait to see what comes next for them.
so I didn't realise this was book two in a series but you can absolutely pick this up as a standalone. We have a Betty, I LOVE a Betty as you know so boxes being ticked already. 1939, winter and families are trying to adjust to their loved ones off to war. Positions changed, women were working in the steel factory to aid the cause and to make ends meet. Betty, Patty and Nancy - working together, surviving each day and looking forward to things being back to normal.

Aw you guys, a wee Betty and omg she is an actual scone. So kind, thinking of others, she is just a tonic to read. I have been reading horror for October reads and some of that was really dark and creepy. So to come into a book where the people are doing their bit, pulling together despite living through such horrible times. Loved ones away to war, rationing coming in and still people go over and above for each other, a sense of belonging and community.

We have the courting and relationships strengthening, families missing their loved ones, new relationships blossoming and an authentic feel for that time period. I actually liked it so much I bought the first book in the series when I finished this so I can read more on the characters and look forward to the next in the series. Survival, loved, relationships, hope in a time of darkness, community, love and strength. It is more about the people and them getting through each day than the darker aspects of or intricate details of the actual war, 4/5. This was my first dance with this author but it won't be my last.
I enjoyed this follow on book. The author really knows the origins of the steelworker women movement. The characters are believable and the storyline flows. There will be more follow on books in this series as the war is only just starting and I will definitely be reading more as this book has left a cliffhanger.
This book is a sequel and though I haven't read the first book, this in no way affected my enjoyment of it. Any blanks and gaps in my knowledge were filled in as and when they needed to be. I think reading the first book would give you a better sense of the characters and make you more fond of them. I think you'd get a deeper understanding of their personalities but this can be read as a stand alone story.

This book is predominantly dialogue which I found made the book much quicker to read. I thought the book was well written but it did take me a while to get in to. I found the pace picked up towards the end which kept me going. If you're not a fan of books that end on a cliff hanger then this one isn't for you because this ends on a HUGE one and you'll have to wait until Spring 2022 for the next instalment!

The story focuses on the power of kindness, compassion and community spirit. It is a story about wonderful women with very kind hearts. With war raging around them, these women find strength they never knew they had and by uniting and looking out for each other, they know they can get through the toughest of times.
Patty,Nancy and Betty work at the steel factory and are friends with good hearts and lend support to those in need.This is an emotional book but i loved it well done Michelle Rawlins 5*
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

Having read abs absolutely loved the first book, I was looking forward to this one and I wasn’t at all let down.

The main characters, Bettty Nancy and Patty are working still in the steel factory and I devoured each page, their banter and relationships made you understand how hard life was and yet, they all helped and supported each other at the good and bad times.

Very well written, made you feel as though you was alongside them.

I’m so looking forward to reading book three.

Highly Recommend This Book.