Cover Image: Lonely Hearts

Lonely Hearts

I really love this series. It is one of the best ones going right now, in my opinion, and I was not at all disappointed in this latest entry. I like this author's writing style. It is just very easy to read and the stories are very engrossing. I never get bored, there are always twists and turns and new info being discovered. I like the Jessica character and Pryce and Connor and am interested in seeing where Jessica goes from here. I blew through this book in one day and can't wait for Jessica's next case
Number four in the series about a private investigator Jessica Shaw. This time she is hired to find someone who has been missing for over fifteen years.. I am really enjoying this series, Jessica is a strong and interesting character and I’m looking forward to the next instalment.
#LonelyHearts #NetGalley

Lonely Hearts
(Jessica Shaw #4)
by Lisa Gray

Finding love through the want ads is nothing new. But finding love with a death row inmate is a different way to well find it. How would you date? Communication is done by mail, so pen pal love is the way to go.

PI Jessica Shaw is hired by Christine to find her friend  Veronica who wrote to inmates 20 some years ago.

Travis Dean Ford is interesting, he must have been  very charismatic and charming, but he also had a secret. He was a serial killer. But he got caught.

So on death row he recieved  many letters and love offers from women. Surprisingly he met, married and fathered a child with Veronica.
Behind bars no less.

Then Veronica and her daughter vanished.

So Jessica is hired to find them.

Are they still alive?

The story switched back and forth through time and is told by different people.

Even though this is the fourth book in the series and the first I had read by the author it can easily be read as a stand-alone.

The plot was interesting, most of the characters were nice, and the killer well he was a mixture of things but nothing I would like or love.

The switching of who was telling what in different chapters kept the story moving and gave it more depth.

The suspense and mystery were very good.

The fast paced plot and the short chapters kept me reading. I needed to know how things would turn out.

So I enjoyed the twists and turns and would recommend this book to people who like thrillers and mysteries.

4****

Thank you Netgalley for the complimentary arc in exchange for an honest review.
Another one that I could not get into.
I thought this sounded really promising but I could not get into the story
Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book for an honest review.

Another new book that I hadn't realised was 4th in a series.  Made little difference to me as there was enough background covered that this can be read as a standalone book.

A good book about a private investigator employed to find a friend who's been missing for over a decade.  Lots of intrigue and different points of view throughout the story.  Would recommend for crime/whodunit lovers!
A clever mystery book with plenty of  twists and turns.  What a great series - can't wait for the next book!!

A private investigator tracks a woman who gave birth to the daughter of a notorious serial killer.  There are lots of twists and turns in this mystery novel.

I love the strong female characters.  It was a very fun read.
Jessica Shaw a PI is hired to find a long lost friend of Christine's, Veronica Lowe who had disappeared after a photo was published of her and her daughter with the child father, a prisoner in death row.
Jessica starts diggng and putting together the pieces as to where Veronica may have gone.
All is not as it seems though and Jessica seems to be uncovering more mysteries as she is investigating.
Good read and the story flows well.
I got an ARC of this book from NetGalley and it was after I'd requested the book that I realized that it is part of a series and that this is the 4th installment. But I don't think that caused a problem. The book can be easily read as a standalone because you can still connect with the characters.

Jessica Shaw is a PI who is hired by a Christine Ryan to find a long lost friend. What looks like a simple missing persons case quickly becomes a lot more complicated, because the lost friend was at some point of time the lover of a serial killer, whose wife has recently been killed. I was engulfed in this gripping story from the beginning. The writing is fast paced, which makes the book unputdownable. What makes it even better is that the story is not predictable. It takes time for the little doubts to creep in and theories to start formulating.

This was also the first book I've ever read from Lisa Gray and loved how she focused on the fact that the victims of serial killers are often forgotten. We've heard and read a lot about Ted Bundy, BTK or Jack the Ripper, but not much about their victims. These notorious men end up as celebrities. This is the sad part of true crime, where the killers get a lot more attention than the victims.

I would love to pick up more books from the author and I would like to thank NetGalley for the ARC.
#NetGalley #LonelyHearts
PI Jessica is searching for a missing girl that soon puts us on edge. A pen pal service for some of these women is proving deadly. What a Name too-Lonely Hearts Club. As we go along looking for answers we will be turning those pages for the discovery of who the killer is.
I really struggled getting into this book and then I realised it was part of a series so I’ve stopped reading it until I’m up to date!
From when I first opened "Lonely Hearts," I was hooked. It's not often I stay up late, especially on a Sunday night, to read a novel in one sitting. In the newest offering in the Jessica Shaw series, we ride along the private investigator's newest case: a missing persons case that is anything but simple. The woman hiring her, Christine Ryan, is seeking an old friend from nearly two decades ago. The problem? The old friend is the former girlfriend of infamous serial killer, Travis Dean Ford, and if still alive, likely doesn't want to be found. Still. A job is a job is a job. As she follows the leads, she realizes perhaps Veronica isn't the only member of the Lonely Hearts Club being hunted.

There is a lot to enjoy about this novel, from the writing to our characters. I didn't even mind the alternating timelines and point-of-views, which you know I despise. I was never confused; I thought it was really well-done. This is the fourth novel in the series but par for course with me, I haven't read the others in the series. It was not an issue, however. You could figure out the killer early on - my antennas were up! - but there were enough red herrings and twists and turns to keep the momentum. There were also flaws when it came to some plot holes and what happens in the romance subplot, but overall, a great page-turner.

Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for an e-ARC, available everywhere now.
I have always been curious as to what allows an intelligent person to marry an inmate who seriously has no future based upon a long or permanent jail. Sentence.  Now, I sort of know.

The characters are quirky, a bit strange, lonely interesting.  Jessica, the main character is pretty realistic but not always likeable.

This can be read as a stand alone book but I feel you might like the characters a bit more if read in order.
Lonely Hearts by Lisa Gray
A Jessica Heart Thriller #4

Able to standalone as a story but I do wonder what I missed not having read the first three books. I read through the book descriptions of the previous books to find out a bit more about Jessica but not till I had finished this book. That did help flesh Jessica out a bit, but I still had trouble warming to her and wonder if that might have to do with coming in on book four rather than book one.

What I liked:
* The premise, plotting, and story telling
* The look into how a PI would search for a missing person
* Jessica’s persistence and dedication to the job
* The mystery of who the murderer in present time was
*  Wondering about how Jessica knew Pryce and how/why they shared information on this case
* Wondering about Jessica’s social life
* Jessica seemed independent and capable…kind of a loner
* Wondering if Jessica will end up in a relationship in future books
* The setting – it was familiar to me having lived in Southern California
* The twist – although I had a good idea what it would be since I usually read the end of books soon after starting them.
* Thinking about what would cause any woman to become the pen pal/girlfriend/wife/baby-mama to a man on death row – that did kind of creep me out, though
* That all of the threads related to the cases were tied up by the end of the story

What I didn’t like:
* Thinking about the evil that people do…and how that evil can warp “good” people, too.
* It was hard for me to warm up to Jessica and I am not sure that I really did even by the end of the story
* Mixed feelings on moving from past to present in the story telling. It can generate momentum or it can detract from the forward momentum of this type of books – and it did both from time to time.

Did I enjoy this book? I think so
Would I read more in this series? I might give one more a try to see if Jessica grows on me

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the ARC – This is my honest review.

Star Rating:
3 stars for being an average read to me
4/5 stars for being worth reading and probably a good addition to the series
It's the first book I read in this series and I enjoyed it.
Good characters, a fast paced and twisty plot, an interesting MC
The mystery is solid and the well developed plot kept me hooked.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
This mystery is the fourth book in Lisa Gray's Jessica Shaw series.  Jessica is private investigator who is drawn into a missing persons case -- Veronica Lowe disappeared around 20 years ago with her three year old Mia. Her best friend of many years, Christina, wants to find her out of concern that Veronica's life could be at risk. As a young woman,Veronica joined a Lonely Hearts Club for women who wished to correspond with prisoners.  She quickly becomes entangled with Travis Ford, a death row inmate convicted of strangling slim, red headed women. Veronica is his type.  They have a child together. Someone leaks a photo of their family group together in San Quentin and Veronica disappears, apparently to avoid threats and publicity.  Shortly after this Travis married another Lonely Heart Club member, Jordana. Since Travis's execution, Jordana has been writing about him and now-about their relationship. Somehow, this has stirred the pot. Someone is closing in  and Jordana is murdered, but who is the killer and what motivated the killing.  Gray leads us through Jessica's investigations with wrong turns and solid investigation that ultimately resolves the mystery. A pleasurable read.
This book was fantastic, it was well written and kept me entertained and wanting to know more. I didn’t want to put it down. The story line focuses on several main characters telling the story from their perspective and the eventual interconnection between them. The story goes from present day to horrific events of the past and how it leads up to a current murder. Can’t wait to read another book from this author.
I received an advance e-book version of this novel through Netgalley. My review is based only on my own reading. Thank you again for this book!

I had absolutely no expectations going into this book seeing this was the first book from this author I’ve ever read, and let me tell you…

It was brilliant. I engulfed this book in one sitting because the characters in this book is so intriguing and the plot absolutely consuming.

Following Private investigator Jessica Shaw as she unravels the mystery of a woman named Veronica who 15 years and counting is still missing after having a love child with a brutal serial killer on death row. Veronica met the notorious serial killer Travis Dean Ford via the Lonely Hearts prison pen pal group, and fell deadly in-love. As reality set in of the situation Veronica got herself in, she starts retracting herself, and hasn’t been seen ever since…
With Ford’s widow recently being killed the way he killed his victims, an old friend of Veronica hires Jessica Shaw to track Veronica and her daughter, before they share the same fate as anyone tied to Travis Ford. With both his former lovers being part of the Lonely hearts club, there seems to be a connection with the killings, but with Travis Ford executed for his crimes years back, the investigation might not seem as straight-forward as planned. As Jessica diggs deeper into this mystery, she can feel herself being watched. But by who?

Although this book is part of a series, it works perfect as a stand-alone. I haven’t read any of Gray’s books before this one but will definitely pick up one in the future! Her writing is fast paced, to the point, witty and with unexpected plot twists.

I mean this plot is to die for. Who finds love on death row? I’ve seen so many documentaries about these pen pal stories and I must say this book takes the cake! It was so gripping and kept me up all night. I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves thriller mystery novels.

As a first time Gray reader, I am beyond impressed. Not only was this about a missing person case, it also delved in pop culture and how there is a phenomena of serial killers having fans, families and all the drama that come with it. How it affects those left behind and the spiraling the victims families have to go through. How love can be found in prison cells.

Extremely gripping, bone-chilling and one hell of a ride. Not at all predictable, and will have you biting your nails and covering your mouth in shock. A must read.
I’m so glad that I discovered this series when the first book came out. It is one of the series that I auto buy without even reading the synopsis. This book is my favorite yet! Jessica is hired by a woman looking to locate a friend that she lost touch with 17 years earlier. But this isn’t your typical long lost friend search. Veronica and her daughter Mia disappeared after it was publicized that her daughter’s father was a convicted serial killer... and now that man’s wife is dead. Are Veronica and Mia in danger? Or are they already dead?
Jessica Shaw is a private investigator in CA. It’s 1989 and a killer is on the loose and he always kills thin, young women with red hair. Christine comes along and hires Jessica to find her long lost friend who she hasn’t seen in many years. Many twists and turns throughout the story.