Cover Image: Lonely Hearts

Lonely Hearts

This is the 4th book in a series about a private investigator.  I had not read the previous 3, but i had no problems catching up - the author does a great job of giving you information you need.

This is a missing persons case.   Someone wants to find an old friend, because she thinks she is in danger and so hires Jessica Shaw.     But wait,,..   the missing person was pen pals with a notorious serial killer who was in prison.     Oh wait - they were more than pen pals...

I loved the mystery, and the action.     I thought the premise was great and loved how it gave us some insight into the women that write to men in prison.    I found that part really interesting.

I kept the pages turning  - I just had to keep reading.     However, I do admit that i saw the ending coming from a mile away, which disappointed me.

I want to thank the author, the publisher and #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review.  In fact, i am going back to read the first 3 books in this series.
So this was a first in this series for me and I really enjoyed it! I loved the main characters feisty and determined nature.

This story has two time lines between the past and the present, it's fast paced, engaging had me from the beginning to the end will defiantly be checking future books in this series.
This book had me hooked from the very beginning and had me breathlessly turning the pages to the thrilling finish. Even though this is the fourth book in the series and the first I had read by the author it can easily be read as a stand-alone. The previous stories were hinted at in a tantalising way that had me buying book one as soon as I finished this one. This is an author I will be eagerly looking out for in the future.
PI Jessica Shaw sure keeps things moving along!  Jessica was hired by Christine to help her find her long lost best friend, Veronica, who dropped off the face of the earth, or so it seems, after they both joined a pen pal club to correspond with prisoners.  The Lonely Hearts Club was a very popular way to have a pen pal who may or may not ever get out of prison.  Jessica does not seem to be afraid of anyone or anything and this story sure takes a lot of twists and turns.  This book was fast-paced and kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end and I really enjoyed it.  This was book 4 of the Jessica Shaw series but the first one that I have read.  It works fine as a stand alone and I am going to go back and read the previous ones since I enjoyed this book so much.

Thank you NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the ARC of this every exciting page turner in exchange for an honest review.
Jessica Shaw is back in book #4. I have loved this series from the very first book and book #4 is just as thrilling! Jessica is on the hunt for a missing women and her child. What goes from a simple missing person case intertwines with a case Detective Pyrce is working on which involves a person seeking revenge.This book has many twists and turns and kept me reading into the night! LOVED!
His book was sent to me electronically by Netgalley for review…the protagonist, a PI, is an intriguing character who sometimes makes unwise decisions…. That being said, she is a likeable character who gets into difficult situations…murder and mayhem…intrigue…family dynamics…romance…all in this mystery novel with twists and turns…a quick read…I do not enjoy the different time periods, but that seems to be what authors are now doing…
Jessica Shaw is a private investigator in CA. It’s 1989 and a killer is on the loose and he always kills thin, young women with red hair. Christine comes along and hires Jessica to find her long lost friend who she hasn’t seen in many years. Many twists and turns throughout the story. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this early release in exchange for my honest review.
I received an advanced copy of this book through NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Lonely Hearts is out 11/9/21, and I just received the ARC. Lonely Hearts is the 4th Jessica Shaw book anf I've been lucky to read all of her previous books through NetGalley. I've come to care for Jessica and interested in her cases as a P.I.

Jessica is avoiding Connor since she found out he is engaged to Rae-Lyn, an exotic dancer. She accepts what seems like a straight forward case, a woman named Christine looking for a long lost friend Veronica Lowe. Christine encouraged Veronica, back in the late 1990s to join the Lonely Hearts Club, a correspondence club with prisoners. She is initially resistant but is captivated by the looks and charisma of Travis Dean Ford, a man on death row convicted of killing 15 young women in the late 1980's to early 1990's. His type? Redheads, thin, pretty, sweet. We get a flashback of Devin Palmer accepting a ride in 1989 after her older sister ditches her for a date, then taking her to a different location and strangling her with her own pantyhose.

Jessica's search takes her to Arizona, and we also see Pryce and Medina investigating Jordana's murder, who was married to Ford a few years before he was put to death. So who killed Jordana? And are they after Veronica, who disappeared with the young daughter she had with Ford.

The book had some interesting and clever twists I didn't quite see coming. And that ending! ;) looking forward to more Jessica Shaw.

No mention of the current times other than Jessica using a disposable face mask a few times, for the work she was doing.

4/5☆ out 11/9/21
Jessica Shaw keeps getting better and better. She takes on what should be an easy missing persons case. The story goes back and forth in time  and includes a storyline of women marrying prisoners. Quick enjoyable read.

I was given a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.
This was full of suspense. Kept me guessing. So many twists. Thanks for giving me a advanced copy. Was worth it can't wait for next one
This is an excellent suspense novel! This was the first book I read from this author but had no problem catching onto the various characters and their backstories. It’s written so well that you basically blow through the chapters wanting to read more. Lots of twists and turns made this a very satisfying read for me. 5 stars, highly recommend!!!
I received an advance copy of, Lonely Hearts, by Lisa Gray.  This is a good thriller.  Where did Veronica go? Is she and her daughter still alive?
Thanks to Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

PI Jessica Shaw gets a visit from a new client, Christine, whose beat friend Veronica and her young daughter went missing almost 20 years ago. Christine is afraid that Veronica is in danger because of the recent murder of someone indirectly related to her.

I really love this series. It is one of the best ones going right now, in my opinion, and I was not at all disappointed in this latest entry. I like this author's writing style. It is just very easy to read and the stories are very engrossing. I never get bored, there are always twists and turns and new info being discovered. I like the Jessica character and Pryce and Connor and am interested in seeing where Jessica goes from here. I blew through this book in one day and can't wait for Jessica's next case. Excellent series.
Thank you to both #NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for providing me an advance copy of Lisa Gray’s fourth installment in the Jessica Shaw series, Lonely Hearts, in exchange for an honest review.

Jessica Shaw is a private investigator who handles missing persons cases in Los Angeles, California. She slugs Scotch whiskey, is unapologetic about her eating or smoking habits, and may or may not be in love with her partner, Matt Connor. This sums up all that a reader needs to know before diving into Lisa Gray’s fourth book in the series, #LonelyHearts.

The story begins in 1989 with a serial killer who is on the loose and strangling young, red-headed women with their own pantyhose. Just as the killer is about to claim his latest victim, the author switches timelines and brings us closer to the present; specifically, 2019. That is when Matt instructs Jessica to take a meeting with a prospective client: a woman looking for her childhood friend who also used to be the secret lover of the notorious, “Valley Strangler.”

Christine tells Jessica that her friend Veronica has been missing for over 15 years and is now worried after the Valley Strangler’s actual wife is murdered in what appears to be a copycat killing. She fears Veronica will meet the same fate if she has not already. Jessica begrudgingly accepts the case, which Matt had led her to initially believe would be a quick open and shut missing person’s case.

The story alternates between the past and the present, continuing through the nineties and early aughts all the way up to 2019. Unlike the previous three books, Jessica’s presence does not seem as strong as some of the other characters and storylines. There is Christine, young Veronica (pre-disappearance), Bibi, and various other women who were at one point or another connected through the pen pal service for women and inmates, the Lonely Heart Club.

At the same time Jessica is searching for Veronica on behalf of Christine, her friends from the LAPD, officers Pryce and Medina, are trying to solve the murder of the Valley Strangler’s wife, Jordana. Jordana was a former member of TLHC and rose to fame by marrying the Valley Strangler, championing his innocence, and becoming an author. Her latest novel was supposed to reap the most profits, but someone murdered Jordana in the exact same way her husband’s victims were killed in the past.

The novel continues at break-neck speed and keeps the reader engrossed the entire time. This one was definitely more plot than character-driven, with the exception of Dacre who was oddly intriguing. Although there is no shocking epilogue to wrap up this case like in the last book, there is a nice little twist at the end, which will hopefully be explored in the fifth installment and further develop Jessica Shaw’s character.

Overall, bravo once again to the author for keeping readers up all night and turning pages. If you are looking for a purely, entertaining mystery novel, this is it.
I have read other books in this series and have liked them, though one could read this as a stand alone .  the detective is  flawed, smart and gutsy.   She is trying to find a woman who has been missing a long time, a woman who had a child with a serial killer.   It is told both in the past and present times and was an easy read, but an interesting one
This was definitely an interesting story! This book had suspense, action, intrigue, and a great who done it! The storyline flowed nicely, it kept my attention and was a good read! It wasn't one of my all time favorite but definitely worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!