Cover Image: Old-Time Country Wisdom and Lore for Hearth and Home

Old-Time Country Wisdom and Lore for Hearth and Home

This book can be a good, entertainment read for sure! A fun look into our ancestors lives of years ago! Some chapters might also explain the short life span with some of the advice given! However, I found this fun to read as it amazes me what Old Country Wisdom and Lore was! (Kinda like some of the laws that are still on the books! That could be an interesting read too)! It surly has a place in history, but more for fun and entertainment! . Not recommended for today's Era!! 3.5 for fun and entertainment from me. I got some good laughs from this book!
I received this book through NetGalley. At first, am amazed! Those things I read in regency romances or old west ones are for real. Sometimes they didn't make sense to this era, where everything was explained chemically and medicine cannot be made by simply throw things together. But some are still valid, and a good idea to use these methods that is more ecologically correct.
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* This book set isn't in my opinion meant to be used, most of it is obviously outdated, other things are down right dangerous but entertainment wise these are good books to have lying around
I don’t think in the over three hundred books I have reviewed I have ever said “there is no way I would recommend this book.”  Well there is always a first.
I am not one that feels comfortable in disparaging a book.   I have been involved in old time methods since my grandparents taught me more than a half century ago.  Some of this advice is absolutely bunk.

I would like to thank the publisher, author and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book, not only it’s written content but it’s art work and presentation. As a child, I was fascinated by The Little House on the Prairie. As an adult my fascination with what life would be like on a homestead,  or as a settler, continued, probably even more so since I’m from the UK. Hence the appeal of this book. I enjoyed it very much and can apply some of its tips today.
This book was packed with fascinating Old Time Country Wisdom and Lore--just as the title promises. I found it so fascinating, from the little sketches to the endearing recipes and remedies. There are not many I would try without Googling first but it made me chuckle to read about how my relatives may have cured a fever or made dye. Absolutely worth a read!
Another amazing book that gives you practical ways to live life. I really love the old fashion tried and true ways. It's definitely a book to keep round especially when one can't make it to the store. It gives you homemade remedies to clean. cure, and help you. Highly recommended.
This book would appeal to anyone who found the descriptions of Ma making cheese in Little House in the Big Woods fascinating, or for a modern reference point anyone who enjoys watching Bernadette Banner's YouTube channel This book is not intended to be a guidebook per se, as many of the recipes and remedies have an attached caveat that they are for historical reference only. But it was interesting to read the recipe for the cure for "Fits" and that the cure for dirt in the eye was to put a flax seed in it to absorb the dirt. The history of the origins and introduction of what came to be common household items is peppered throughout the book. The book is not an appropriate reference item for sustainable living but is a representation of historical methods of housekeeping.
Perfect for homesteaders, DIYers or anyone looking for an eccentric coffee-table book. I was thinking this was a cookbook but it has so much more than recipes! Rural remedies, cleaning guides, how to tan leather, and so much more. All laid out like an old-time catalog with vintage photos.

Thank you to Quarto Publishing and NetGalley for allowing me to read a pre-release of this book. My review is voluntary and all opinions are my own.
Interesting selection of hints ,tips and ideas from years gone by. Some were amusing ,some very useful and I will be trying and some I would say away from as they sound downright dangerous. It was interesting to see what our ancestors used and believed in before the advent of modern science.
The description of this book reminded me a bit of the Foxfire series, which I devoured way back when. The difference between the two is that Foxfire gave some context to the old time ways. This book is simply a collection of old ways of doing things like washing your hair, brushing your teeth, preserving your food, making your own clothes - things that our great-grandparents did in the 19th and early 20th centuries to create some quality of life for themselves.

There are many interesting bits of information here, but I was really turned off by the home “cures” for illnesses that are better treated with modern medicine. For example, this lifelong asthmatic is not going to tie a live frog to my throat or wear a muskrat skin with the fur against my chest to relieve an asthma attack. I worry that people looking to live off the grid will take this advice to heart and potentially harm themselves or others by choosing the quackery in this book over modern medicine.

Therefore I cannot recommend it.
Absolutely loved this feeling good book! Enjoyed the characters and the story. The story flowed nicely and had me reading until the end. This is a wonderful story and a great read, I highly recommend this book!
I’ve always been a sucker for home remedies, and this book is full of them. Along with instructions for canning, quilt making, rug making, meat preserving, etc. It is an excellent resource, whether your goal is to be self-sustaining or merely learning more about how your grandparents (or great+ grandparents) did things. Some suggestions are humorous, and make it clear why the author included a disclaimer, such as applying a live frog to the throat of an asthma sufferer. But I am already planning to increase my garlic consumption, oil a cloth, and try my hand at crocheting a rug using fabric scraps. #OldTimeCountryWisdomandLoreforHearthandHome #NetGalley
What an intriguing and interesting book. I'm likely to try some of the ideas in it, but some I will be a little sceptical about - times and knowledge having moved on.
The book is laid out with images to support the text and it is structured so that it can be used as a manual of sorts, if you wish.
It's the sort of book that you would have as a reference on your bookcase, especially if, like me, you prefer to find old, traditional ways of doing things.
Old-Time Country Wisdom and Lore for Hearth and Home is a volume in a series of republished and collated Old Farmer's Almanac type tips and folklore from the 1970s. Originally released in the 70's, this re-release from Quarto on their Voyageur Press imprint 12th Oct 2021 is 176 pages and is available in paperback and ebook formats.

This is a wide-ranging collection of "Old Farmer's Almanac" type of wisdom and trivia. The tips and tricks are very roughly arranged thematically: hearth and home (cleaning and general info) and the country table (food prep & handling).

There are some hair-raisingly scary "tips" and observations included here and they are blended willy-nilly with old wives & farmers tales without regard to the veracity of any of the claims. In fact, the publisher states quite clearly in the disclaimer that "Any recipes or “health cures” are intended as a historical reference only. They are NOT recommended by the editors or publisher of this book. They have been compiled as a historical narrative for historical purposes only. The publisher assumes
no responsibility whatsoever for any injury or damage resulting from reader’s use of any of the material or information contained in this book".

The graphics are simple with old fashioned monochrome illustrations and line drawings throughout. This would be a good selection for the smallholder's winter home library reading, allotments, fans of old farmer's almanac type publications, and similar. I would go so far as to suggest its usefulness for historical research and background context for authors, historical re-enactors, etc. This is *not* a book to be followed or used as a reference to any degree.

Three and a half stars. It's of limited practical use, but will be enjoyed by people who remember the old almanacs fondly.
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. It's full of great tips and ideas! I found it very helpful.
Filled full of wonderful almanac information.  Many old school hacks that I never heard of until now.
Although I enjoy reading books about old time self sufficiency, I found this one to be a bit confusing. I wasn't sure if it was written to be just a collection of the way things used to be done, or if it was written to suggest ways to be more self sufficient. Although I found parts of it to be quite interesting, the purpose of the book was never clear to me.
How much fun is this book?  I love reading books that give you hints and tips especially if they talk about the old times and how things used to be done.

Although it is mostly things we wouldn't use in today's society it gives an insight into how things have been done and you still get some good tips and ideas from it.  But best of all it does evoke memories of days gone by and stories of my parents, grand-parents and great-grandparents days.

Loved the addition of the artwork as this made it feel even more old-fashioned and gave the book a bit of personality.  It is fun, it is insightful and it is history.
It's a long way from gathering your own pot pourri to doing some home tanning, and making your own leathers.  But this book takes it.  I am sure many people are aware of the connection between newspapers and a nice, clean window, and how to spruce up a saucepan with rhubarb leaves, but there is also a heck of a lot here that is on the less common side.  Outside the kitchen, we swing from calculating paint usage for our intended area, to making our own wallpaper.  This is very much on the encyclopaedic scale, as opposed to the trivia gift book, with pages crammed with text, despite the many spot illustrations and other design elements breaking up the potential visual monotony.  I think as a result it will be more suited as a reference/curiosity book for history buffs.  That said, if you have the urge to make piano polish, who am I to stop you?!  Oh, but before you think this far too esoteric – it has a sourdough starter, too.

Certainly the people who have swamped it with negative write-ups due to it including guff of the highest order in lieu of echt medical advice just have not got the point of it.  We honestly did all believe that kind of guff, once upon a time and in one corner of the world or another.  Get over it.