Cover Image: The Sanctuary

The Sanctuary

When I first started reading this book, I did struggle with who was who and how they were all related
However, once I got past that part, I really enjoyed the concept of this book
Each chapter is told from a different viewpoint of one of the pregnant women, with the author dropping clues that each one has so many secrets to tell
The novel is very atmospheric and the author knows just how to create a tense novel!
The whole setting of the novel, a barn in the middle of nowhere, was really unsettling and set the atmosphere of the novel
Each chapter left me thinking just one more chapter and I highly recommend this one!

Thank you to the publisher for the gifted copy
‘The Sanctuary’ is the latest book by Charlotte Duckworth.

Four pregnant women. Three nights of pampering at an exclusive yoga retreat. One too many deadly secrets. On a remote farm in the deepest Devonshire countryside, four pregnant women arrive at an exclusive yoga retreat for a five-star weekend of prenatal pampering. The location is idyllic. Their host, Selina, is eager to teach them all she knows about pregnancy and motherhood. But, like Selina, each of the women has a secret.

The latest book by Charlotte is another gripping rollercoaster of a thriller set around five women at a pregnancy yoga retreat.

The retreat is run by Selina, who’s nervous about her first retreat going to plan and having everything ready for the four women arriving, Nicky and her younger sister Bonnie, Georgia and Poppy, Three of the women are having their babies for first time, whilst this is Nicky’s third and a complete surprise for her at a later stage in life. The retreat is going to plan until lots of threatening things happen, burnt scarecrows, headless animals and scary notes causing all the women to be in fear.

The story is seen through the narrative of the women filled with the anxiety and excitement of their pregnancies, but behind these emotions, they all have secrets that are about to be revealed. Right from the outset, the story is riddled with suspense and tension and with each page new twists and dramas are revealed.

As well as narratives from the women there is also an inclusion of a mysterious narrative who’s obviously got a grudge against one of the women and is willing to do anything to get revenge.

I love Charlotte’s book, they’re intense with complex characters with exciting plot lines that whisk the reader away and ‘The Sanctuary’ is no different. The women are a fascinating mix, all with different issues whether it’s the anxiety and concern of new a baby or grief and this along with the underlying tension.

Cleverly written, claustrophobic and atmospheric from the first page, ‘The Sanctuary’ is an exciting thriller that made for fast paced reading.

You can buy ‘The Sanctuary’ from Amazon and is available to buy from good bookshops.
Thank you Netgalley, Quercus Books and Charlotte Duckworth for this arc.

This story follows four pregnant women who decide to attend a luxurious prenatal yoga retreat for three nights of pampering and relaxation.
We have Nicky, who at 42, finds herself unexpectedly pregnant once again, and unsure if she is happy or not. Bonnie, Nicky's sister, who is 20 years younger and pregnant to an unknown man. Journalist Georgia, who may be more pregnant than she has let on and finally Poppy, who seems to have an agenda other than relaxation.
All four are hoping to use their time at the retreat to work through their personal issues, but they discover that the weekend may be more than they bargain for.

This book is very visually appealing. The description of the retreats location sounded beautiful and creepy at the same time.
I loved the deserted location trope of this book.
Some parts of the book seemed a little outrageous but I enjoyed the unfolding mystery.
Full of twists and turns, this book will keep you guessing until the very end.

4 stars
Now this is a strange one to review because whilst it was completely implausible it had me 100% invested.

This is definitely a read that you have to suspend reality for a while and just jump straight in and enjoy.

A yoga retreat for pregnant women in Devon sounds idyllic right? Time to relax, unwind, rest until baby arrives. Away from the stress of everyday work, home and family life. But what if that retreat is just an outpouring of secrets, not only from the retreats attendees bit the owners of the retreat aswell?

Told from multiple POVs which could get confusing at time, each woman was relatable in their own way and each had their own solid story (and secret) to tell.

Full of tantalising twists and turns you will not be able to put this down until its resolution.

Solid 4*

Thanks to netgalley and Quercus Books for the ARC.
However, once I got past that part, I really enjoyed the concept of this book
This was an excellent psychological thriller, there was nothing I disliked about it at all. The characters were good, the plot was great and the style of writing was perfect. Plenty of twists and turns throughout to keep you guessing. I have read other books by this author and they don’t disappoint, I’ll be keeping my eye out for more in the future. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading this genre.
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a honest review.
This was a chilling read, set in the English countryside a group of pregnant woman go to an exclusive weekend of peace yoga and relaxation but it goes horribly wrong. The different narratives are easy to follow and each more shocking than the one before
Four women on a prenatal yoga retreat, all with something to hide.

A very enjoyable read with a great range of characters, though there was a lot to keep track of at times.

I enjoyed the twists and turns and did love the ending where it all came together so well.

3.5 rounded up to 4 stars
This was a brilliant read. Superbly plotted, fast-paced and twisty - everything you could want from a thriller.

I found the writing totally compelling, which meant I could not put this down. It was full of tensions, twists, and secrets, which gripped me from beginning to end.
The Sanctuary is a book I knew I was going to like from the first page.
This book is about four pregnant women that meet at a retreat, it’s for pregnant women, so lots of relaxing, yoga etc. sounds perfect until this lovely idea slowly unravels into a mess beyond belief, with so many things coming to light I couldn’t put it down.
I liked how each woman got her own chapter so you really got to know them and why they were there and believe me they are all very different reasons. The pace was good and once I got to grips with who was who I enjoyed this all the way through. I had no idea where this was going, what had happened and how it was going to end and it’s rare for me to feel like this.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Quercus Books for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely love this author. Each book she writes gets better. She’s the master of characters you want to like. Some you can’t help but dond you love to hate. All you want to know more about. Another blinder!
Thanks to NetGalley and Quercus Books for letting me read this book. I have read all books by Charlotte Duckworth and I was thrilled to read a new one.

The Sanctuary was a book that kept me reading almost non-stop until I finished it. Although a couple of details were a bit predictable, the plot as a whole worked well. Although normally I don't like books with multiple points of view, that didn't bother me here because each character had a distinctive voice that made me be aware at all times of who was talking and telling the story.

The characters were very well fleshed out, very real-like. I was rooting for some, feeling sorry for others, and really hating a few. If I can feel so strongly about a fictional person, that means the author did a great job.

Overall, a really interesting book about the topic of pregnancy and maternity, and also about the cult-like places that pop up around pregnant women.
The Sanctuary by Charlotte Duckworth was the first book I have read by this author and I really enjoyed it especially as it was a quick read. Nicky, Bonnie Georgia and Poppy are four women of all different ages, who are on a prenatal yoga retreat in the middle of nowhere in Devon. However, they all with something to hide and a story to tell. Each of them all lead very different lives from each other and they are all hiding secrets.
This book is full of twists and turns that kept me wanting to know what happens!

.One thing with secrets........they always find away coming to the surface.

Big Thank you to Quercus Books and Netgalley for my advanced copy of this book to read
The Sanctuary sees Four pregnant women attend a weekend yoga retreat where slowly some secrets are revealed. And secrets I wasn’t (pardon the pun) expecting.

Told initially from four POVs: Nicky, a career woman who’s not overawed with her third child on the way; Bonnie, her much younger step-sister who is staying quiet about the father of her child; Georgia, a journalist who is unexpectedly pregnant with her new partner; and Poppy, recently split from her other half.

We hear too from Selina who is running this make or break retreat and an unknown narrator between the chapters which adds to the mystery and intrigue of what turns out to be a less than relaxing break. And be prepared - all is not what it seems at The Sanctuary. Everything seems fine on the face of it but there are things bubbling below the surface.

The book itself is a very easy read that entertains and shocks in equal measure with each and every turn of the page. I found myself open-mouthed at some of the reveals and even when nearing the end when I thought some plot lines hadn’t been explained - the author ties everything up nicely.

One thing for sure, after reading this I’d advise no one ever cross a pregnant woman.

Thanks to #netgalley and #quercusbooks for my review copy.
Four pregnant women go on an exclusive yoga retreat on a remote farm in the deepest Devonshire countryside. The five-star weekend of prenatal pampering is in an idyllic location and the perfect preparation for what lies ahead. Selina is the host and she is set to teach the pregnant women everything she knows about pregnancy and motherhood. All the women, including Selina are keeping secrets.

Interesting characters and full of suspense that progressively builds throughout making it a page turner.

I would like to thank both Netgalley and Quercus Books for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
A new luxury upmarket relaxation and meditation spa has been set up in rural Devon - we join them on the inaugural weekend where four women go for a weekend before their lives change for ever, The sanctuary has everything you could possibly hope for, luxurious facilities and homecooked locally sourced food amongst personal yoga and meditation sessions

But something is a bit off, the organiser Selina seems to be hiding something, and the guests have various secrets and hidden agendas; is anyone who they say they are on the outside?

I enjoyed the atmospheric setting and the way that the characters developed; compelling and twisting away from my expectations at every turn. well worth a read,
Just the kind of book I enjoy - with interesting dynamics between the friends, interesting characters, and an interesting storyline. This one will keep you turning the pages!
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange from an honest review.
Four pregnant women, half-sisters Nicky & Bonnie, journalist Georgia, & secretive Poppy, arrive for three nights of pampering at an exclusive yoga retreat. The retreat is run by Selina & her partner, Will, but Selina's sulky teenage son, Kai, & a groundsman also live on the property. It doesn't take long before accidents & other strange occurrences start to happen & the women start to wonder if someone has a grudge against Selina, but they are all hiding their own secrets & agendas too.

The story unfolds from the perspective of each of the women including Selina, with the odd chapter from others. It was well-written but I didn't really like it, because, apart from perhaps Nicky, I really didn't like any of the characters. In fact I downright disliked Bonnie from the start. I also thought it was pretty easy to work out where the storylines were going to go. It was a disappointment as I loved Unfollow Me by the author.

My thanks to NetGalley & publishers, Quercus Books, for the opportunity to read an ARC.
Brilliant book with plenty of drama and intrigue.

Great characters with well thought out plot.

A pleasure to read a proper page turner which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Twists and turns aplenty and kept me guessing right till the end.

Highly recommended 5 stars from me.