Cover Image: The Sanctuary

The Sanctuary

Four pregnant women, half-sisters Nicky & Bonnie, journalist Georgia, & secretive Poppy, arrive for three nights of pampering at an exclusive yoga retreat. The retreat is run by Selina & her partner, Will, but Selina's sulky teenage son, Kai, & a groundsman also live on the property. It doesn't take long before accidents & other strange occurrences start to happen & the women start to wonder if someone has a grudge against Selina, but they are all hiding their own secrets & agendas too.

The story unfolds from the perspective of each of the women including Selina, with the odd chapter from others. It was well-written but I didn't really like it, because, apart from perhaps Nicky, I really didn't like any of the characters. In fact I downright disliked Bonnie from the start. I also thought it was pretty easy to work out where the storylines were going to go. It was a disappointment as I loved Unfollow Me by the author.

My thanks to NetGalley & publishers, Quercus Books, for the opportunity to read an ARC.
Brilliant book with plenty of drama and intrigue.

Great characters with well thought out plot.

A pleasure to read a proper page turner which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Twists and turns aplenty and kept me guessing right till the end.

Highly recommended 5 stars from me.
Brilliant book with plenty of drama and intrigue.

Great characters with well thought out plot.

A pleasure to read a proper page turner which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Twists and turns aplenty and kept me guessing right till the end.

Highly recommended 5 stars from me.
The sanctuary by Charlotte Duckworth.
Four pregnant women. Three nights of pampering at an exclusive yoga retreat. One too many deadly secrets . . .
A very good read.  Lots of twists and turns with surprises.  I do enjoy Charlotte books. Great story and characters.  4*.
Okay, so I loved this book. The plot, the secrets with lots of twists and turns however, I did struggle at times trying to remember who was who as each person got their own pov. Once it came together I got the point to the story I just wish it hadn't jumped in and out so much. But overall great read, can't wait to see what more this author has got to give in the future.
Four pregnant women book a long weekend at a secluded luxury yoga retreat. Each of them arrives carrying a secret of her own.
Their host, Selina, is eager for everything to be perfect.
But nothing goes according to her plan.

I love Charlotte's books, so I grabbed my chance at reading the early copy of her newest book with much enthusiasm.
I wasn't disappointed. Even though multiple narrations aren't my cup of tea, the perspectives were easy to follow. This was a fast-paced, gripping book that had me racing through the pages. The twist is a lovely cherry on top. I'm already looking forward to her next book.
I’d like to thank Quercus Books and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘The Sanctuary’ written by Charlotte Duckworth in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Four pregnant women travel to The Sanctuary to participate in a three-day prenatal yoga retreat organised by Selina and her partner Will.  Each of the four women have their own reasons for attending but the longer they’re there the more secrets are revealed, and not only by the four women!

‘The Sanctuary’ is a dramatic thriller with a tense atmosphere and perplexing characters whose secrets gradually emerge the longer they’re together and start talking of their backgrounds.  As the days pass and strange happenings occur the story becomes increasingly chilling until I can’t be sure which of the characters I can trust.  The conclusion is a bit of an anti-climax but otherwise it’s a thoroughly intriguing and well-written story that’s kept me absorbed throughout.
I absolutely loved The Sanctuary. It was an easy read about 4 pregnant women at an idyllic Spa retreat for a weekend of relaxation and pampering. Obviously things aren't as idyllic as they first appear as each character has a secret. The tension built throughout and it kept me gripped right up to the unexpected ending. I highly recommend it.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quercus Books for my ARC.
I love this author and this one did not disappoint.  Thanks for the opportunity to review would recommend to anyone
This is another great read from Charlotte Duckworth, I've yet to be disappointed by one of her books and this one is bang on point once again!

The plot sees 4 pregnant women experience a weekend retreat at 'The sanctuary'.   This is the first venture into pregnancy retreats from host, Serina, self proclaimed midwife and pregnancy guru.  She is desperate to impress her guests, and in particular, Georgia, a journalist with a strong influencer presence on Instagram.  Sisters ,Nicky and Bonnie, also join the retreat - Bonnie is evasive around the identity of her baby's father and this is just one of many lines of intrigue in this novel.  The final guest is Poppy, who seems hostile and presents as having her own agenda from the get-go.

So many questions are asked in this novel - what is going on in Serina and partner, Will's, relationship?  What is going on with Serina's mysterious son, Kai, and why are there so many unfortunate occurrences happening on this retreat?!  These and many more questions and asked and answered in this highly addictive novel!

This is a book to be enjoyed!  My thanks to NetGalley, author and publisher for the opportunity to review this book in exchange for an advance copy.
Four pregnant women go to the sanctuary to a prenatal yoga get away weekend. First we gave Nicky a mother of 2 boys who is currently expecting her 3rd child with her husband Jon. Then there’s Bonnie who is Nicky’s younger sister she’s 20 years younger than Nicky and has always seen her as more of a second mother than a sister. We then have Georgie who is the furthest along at 8 months pregnant who is terrified of going into an early labour and things going wrong. Finally there’s Poppy who comes across as more independent than all the other women and clearly Poppy is a woman on a mission.

The woman running the sanctuary is Selina who is a qualified yoga instructor and also pretends to be many other things that she is not. With 4 pregnant women all with their own fears and deep secrets a weekend away in the country side should be exactly what they need; however Selina also has hidden secrets of her own and soon it becomes clear that someone is out to cause trouble and make what should be a chilled relaxing weekend away turn to total chaos.

I really enjoyed reading this book however with the chapters being told from so many different points of views and with their being so many secrets and twists at times I did find it hard to keep up with who’s secret was who’s and I did get a little confused at one point and that’s before you have the secrets and the story line of the 3 males living and working at the sanctuary who also have hidden secrets.

But overall I did find this book very enjoyable and everything did come together really nicely and I absolutely loved the ending I sort of did see it coming but it happened in an unexpected way which was nice. Thank you to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for an advance copy of this book for an open and honest review.
A DNF for me as by 8% all the main characters had been in tears,at least once and I realised was not the book for me,I maybe should have read more of the blurb but went for the author rather than read about it
📚BOOK REVIEW 📚

The sanctuary by Charlotte Duckworth
🗓  Publication Date - 16th December 2021

Having read Charlotte’s work before - I wasn’t surprised how much I enjoyed this book! (No pressure for the next one 😉🤣!!)

4 ladies go to ‘The Sanctuary’ for some pre-natal relaxation and Pampering!
The retreat is being run by Selina and her partner Will.
The story is told from each of their prospectives but the storyline ties in really well and doesn’t feel like your going from one character to another.

As the story goes in, we learn more about the reasons behind them coming to the retreat and a bit of their lives before as well.
Also each character has their own secrets and as reading, it become apparent just what they are. Although some are left to the very end!

Thank you for allowing be to read and review this ARC
#chalotteduckworth #thesanctuary #netgalley
This was the first of Charlotte Duckworth's books for me.
In the beginning I was intrigued by the idea of pregnant women who visit a retreat. But honestly, towards the ending the story got a bit too much for me.
As mentioned the story takes place in a yoga retreat for pregnant women. It should allow them to take some time off and focus on their futur role as mothers. This would be fine if not all of them had secrets to hide. Even the people who run the retreat have some deep buried secrets. One by one they come to light.
Basically I really enjoyed this book if it had not been for the end, which was too well ment IMHO

Thanks #NetGalley and #Quercus Books for an ARC!
I don't think I will be booking myself on any yoga retreats after reading this creepy story.  It starts with a very intriguing prologue.  Something dramatic is going to happen when four women book them selves onto an expensive weekend, a prenatal yoga retreat, which is in a remote location with no mobile phone signal.  The staff are creepy.  The tension slowly builds as we learn about these pregnant women and their backgrounds.
Wow!  Wow!  Wow! is all I can say once we get to know the participants and how their secrets all impact on each other.  I loved the plotting and how it all unravelled.
I loved this book! I love you slowly get the full picture from each character throughout. It was a gripping read which kept me guessing at every page.
I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read an ARC of this book. This book was very good it was written from the perspective of the five main female characters all of whom were hiding secrets from the others, although some of the characters were not particularly likeable it didn't detract from the story.
This book was okay, however I felt it overall missed something, I was not very invested in the characters and something for me didn’t work which made it quite a slow read for me as I wasn’t as committed to it as I usually am reading. It certainly is worth a read if you’re into this genre of books and was an unusual story plot which is commendable.
Okay first of all, Charlotte Duckworth literally never disappoints. I've read 3 of her 4 books, two have been 5 stars & one 4 star.

This book was really excellent. I found it was gripping from the very first line. I had been in a bit of a reading slump but once I started this, I knew it was over.

This book was also really readable. Aside from the mystery aspect, it was a really interesting story of four pregnant women attending a luxury retreat where all is not as it seems.

I enjoy the subtle commentary on some social issues such as vaccines and "wellness gurus". Charlotte has done this in previous books with social media and it's so interesting to see topical issues woven expertly through the story without being in your face.

Similarly, this book had four pregnant women but none of them came from "conventional" backgrounds. There was unwanted pregnancies and single parents. I thought this was a great inclusion & different from the picture perfect families we often see portrayed.

The mystery element in this book was great. It was so well paced and definitely lead to an uneasy feeling at times!
I definitely had no idea where it was going.

This book was an easy 5 star read for me & I can't wait to read more from Charlotte!

Thank you Quercus Books, Charlotte Duckworth & NetGalley for an eArc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Another absolute gem of a book. I couldn’t put this one down. I have devoured  page after page of this one. Completely unwilling to put this one down.
This has kept my interest and made me want to read more by this author.