Cover Image: The Sanctuary

The Sanctuary

The sanctuary sucks you in from the start. You immediately start asking questions and want the answers, To find out what their secrets are and what they’re hiding.

From the start you can tell not all is what it seems at the sanctuary. Something is out of place. Love how the story unfolded, it was clever how it was told throughout the different women there. How all the secrets came to light.

I like how they were all fairly different in personalities, some more likeable than others. How each had a story, stories within a story.

I wasn’t expecting the ending, which is always a bonus.

Overall a thrilling, easy read.

Thank you Quercus books and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Really enjoyed this one! Loads of twists and turns and you are always on tenterhooks waiting to see what's going to happen next. I'm a big fan of Charlotte's books and I think this might be her best yet.....absolutely brilliant! I loved all of the characters, even the bad ones and thought they all played their parts really well and I raced through it. Did not expect the ending, total surprise....always a hard thing to achieve. Go and read this one ❤
I thought this book was fantastic - loads to tangled webs to unravel all taking place at a retreat for pregnant women. The host and midwife Selina seemed a bit odd to me from the get go and things about her and her family just got stranger and stranger. The guests, 5 in total, had their own stories going on, some to do with Selina other not. The whole thing unravels during the weekend ending in betrayal and murder. Brilliant!
Thank you NetGalley for this advanced copy, Another great read by Charlotte. This book took four pregnant women, all with secrets, to a yoga pregnancy retreat. I enjoyed the character development and the wide range of situations brought into these characters: infidelity, child loss, not knowing who the father is, not wanting another baby etc. I did not see quite a few of the twists coming, which made it even more enjoyable. Good ending! Always nice to see people being held accountable when they try to play God with other's lives.
3.5 rounded up.

Four women sign up for a prenatal yoga retreat at The Sanctuary near Okehampton, Devon. There’s Nicky, a mother of two lovely boys and trying to get her head around being pregnant again at 42. Her sister Bonnie joins her, she’s twenty years younger and in her final year at catering college but she’s got herself ‘knocked up’, father undisclosed. Journalist Georgia also joins them with the fee waived as the owner Selina hopes for some positive publicity and finally, there’s Poppy who has recently split from partner Ant and is there with some kind of agenda. All four are hoping to resolve various issues but it’s fair to say none of them get the weekend they bargain for. The story is told from several perspectives.

The first 60% or so is really good. The setting is described extremely visually allowing you to picture events easily. There are some creepy, menacing hints from the start that despite Selina's many efforts to ‘deliver’ a relaxing weekend, her plans go badly awry. Poppy concerns you from the start and it becomes a case of curiouser and curiouser. The characters are all portrayed well with the two sisters being an interesting contrast and I like the vibe between them which at times has some needle to it. All the characters are carrying burdens, not of the baby variety, their emotions are all over the place, some feel guilty, others insecure and anxious. There are some good twists, a couple of which are particularly unexpected, there’s tension every which way you look especially from Selina so it's hardly the relaxation they crave, in fact, the whole thing is a dangerous unmitigated disaster.

However, much as I  love a loaded plot, I think this just becomes too crowded, so many secrets, so many lies that it gets a bit dizzying. As it builds like the proverbial bonfire for the 5th November celebrations, I have hopes for it igniting  but I think the wood must be a bit damp because it didn’t quite go out in a blaze of glory! It does keep you glued to the pages though to try to sift your way  to the truth!

Overall though it’s very entertaining, it’s diverting, some things are a bit of a stretch but hey, it’s fiction!!

With thanks to NetGalley and especially to Quercus Books for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review.
Wow, this was so gripping and compelling. The characters are all so vivid and devious with all their twisted secrets though some are more normal and rational than others. I loved how the pace of the novel sped up as you got to know each of the women. But what I loved is that you had no warning until right up to the end of what was going on and what would happen. This is a truly brilliant book and I for one will buy this book as soon as it is out. Love love love this.
#TheSanctuary #NetGalley
Loved it's story.
Four pregnant women. Three nights of pampering at an exclusive yoga retreat. One too many deadly secrets . . .
On a remote farm in the deepest Devonshire countryside, four pregnant women arrive at an exclusive yoga retreat for a five-star weekend of prenatal pampering. The location is idyllic.Their host, Selina, is eager to teach them all she knows about pregnancy and motherhood. But, like Selina, each of the women has a secret.
And secrets can be deadly.
Definitely loved it. I think everyone should read it.
Thanks to NetGalley and Quercus Books for giving me an advance copy of this book.