Cover Image: Sisters Behaving Badly

Sisters Behaving Badly

Oh I really enjoyed this delightful book! As soon as I met Kitty I knew that I was going to love her sense of humour and the sisters’ adventures are made so amusing by Kitty’s dry wit.

Right from the start, when the sisters meet on the ferry to France, there are mishaps and mischief. When they finally arrive at their Aunt’s house and begin to settle in they begin to heal their relationship and the rather uptight Jenny begins to find her sense of fun again and loosen up, possibly helped by some rather good French wine!

I found myself totally captivated and entertained by this gorgeous book, which was like a breath of fresh air. A thoroughly delightful and funny read, I can’t recommend it enough. Just be warned, don’t read it in public, there are some genuinely laugh-out-loud moments!
I thoroughly enjoyed this hilarious, poignant and compelling story. It's well written, it kept me reading, laughing and feeling for the sisters.
The characters are well developed and quirky, plot flows and there's plenty of humor.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
This is a highly entertaining read, featuring two estranged sisters who find themselves in France, refurbishing a house they have inherited. The two sisters are quite different in personality but you begin to realise that the reasons behind their falling out might lie with other people. Their reactions to life in the French rural village are comical, at times and there are plenty of moments of genuine humour as they set about dealing with their builders and neighbours.

Behind the humour, there is the more serious thread of coercive control and a manipulating husband. The slow burn romance which develops is a satisfying touch and all the characters who you get to meet are lively and vividly drawn. As the two sisters face a crossroads in their lives, there is plenty of thoughts about starting over and having a second chance at relationships.

In short: a lively and amusing romcom
Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the book
3.5 stars.
I actually loved this book and I was wondering for a long, long time about the rating and in the end I set on 3.5 stars - there were simply too many, for my liking much too many, passages and chapters that actually brought nothing to the book, that were so dragging on - and I wanted to get back to the sisters, to their antics and brilliant humour - because they were great, and their story was so good, and it pains me, really pains me, that not the whole story was working so well. Some scenes were so over - done and felt forced, and the one that featured almost all characters, swimming pool and chaos and that was supposed to be oh so funny... well, let me just tell, it was not.
Nevertheless, it was a brilliant, funny story about two sisters who have lost touch some time ago and now must go to France to look after renovation of the house they both got after their Aunt's death. To say that they were awkward around each other at the beginning would be an understatement. It was, however, annoying to see Jenny behaving like this, however you will quickly learn why she's like this. I loved Kitty much more, she was a free spirit, with my kind of humour. Nevertheless, Jenny showed her true colours and she deserved standing ovation then, really. They were well written, with their flaws and problems that felt real.
Altogether, it was an entertaining, funny story set in a beautiful part of France and with some sexy locals, mmmm. I truly enjoyed it and I would love to try the wine, now please. A great, well - written, with a feel - good factor novel about second chances, family relationships, showing there is never late for love and new beginnings.
Sisters Jenny and Kitty are very different. Fun-loving Kitty has a string of failed marriages; sensible Jenny has been with husband Paul for over thirty years. Forced to spend time together in Brittany, they have a lot of work ahead of them in this book, which neatly combines multiple storylines and all sorts of relationship dramas - lots of action to keep the pages turning.

As they battle the dust of a renovation project and the weeds of the unkempt garden they have inherited from Aunt Sheila, they can’t ignore the need to rebuild their once-close relationship. Pausing only to sip from a decent bottle of Sheila’s French wine, they start the soul-searching process of unpicking their past mistakes, understanding each other and looking to where the future will take them.

The characters in this book often made me smile, despite the fact some of the situations were anything but funny. I warmed to Kitty immediately and the more I discovered about Jenny’s family life, the more I felt for her too. Life’s not always plain sailing, but there are plenty of entertaining moments cleverly crafted into the story as they try to cope with events that are often outside their comfort zones. I especially enjoyed the hilarious antics of the assorted animals (and Frenchmen) they seem to pick up along the way.

This book was a dream read and the more I read, the more I loved it. I enjoyed the family dramas, the French magic, the humour and the love (in all its forms) that shines through. Add in a well-described location, a few handy and rather dashing locals, plus some tasty regional food treats, and this book had a lot to offer me.

I rarely quote from a book, but I think we could all do with remembering this simple, but powerful quote:

“It is never too late to be happy, to fall in love, to change things.”

If you need a pick-me-up book to keep you entertained now the nights are drawing in, I can recommend Sister’s Behaving Badly. I will be looking out for more books by Maddie Please.
This was such a fun read, I love the writing style & how the story was told.

The first book I've read of Maddie's, but definitely not the last, I thoroughly enjoyed the laugh out loud antics of the two sisters. Both of which were great characters, although Jenny was a bit of a walking doormat wasn't she?

The settings sound so idyllic & dreamy, the food sounds amazing & the French men so swoonsome.

It's never too late to start having fun!

Many thanks to Rachel's Random Resources for my tour spot & gifted copy.

𝗜 𝗴𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗮 4 ⭐ 𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴
Sisters Behaving Badly - Maddie Please

I received an advance review copy for free thanks to Rachel's Random Resources and I am leaving this review voluntarily

Sisters Kitty and Jenny haven’t spoken since a very disappointing Carvery lunch. Kitty, sixty-two, thinks Jenny is turning grey. Jenny, sixty-six, thinks Kitty needs to grow up!

So when both sisters inherit a farmhouse in rural France, it gives them the perfect chance to heal the rift between them. Except the farmhouse is a wreck, the garden is terrorized by a flock of chickens, not to mention a donkey with a serious flatulence problem!

This book was a delightful surprise for me, it was not what I expected - it is about second chances. I enjoyed the fact that Maddie has made it so that the sisters bicker and argue and don't have the perfect relationship that is usually found in a book.

A well-written, funny, uplifting tale. I flew through the pages needing to know what would happen to the sisters next. This is my first book by Maddie and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be on the lookout for more of her works.

Rating: 4/5
Delightful romp with two sixty something sisters Kitty and Jenny. They are off on a trip to France to their aunt Sheila's villa.
Touching, laugh a minute, and cringe inducing moments make this book a great read. The relationship between the sisters raw and realistic, with tensions many of us experience in family. Great characters, great descriptions, fab story. Loved the French way of life, and would be happy to embrace it myself!
Really enjoyed this one! Refreshing to read about sixty year olds when life is just beginning.
Thank you NetGalley for the early read.
When I read The Old Ducks' Club by the same author earlier this year, I remember thinking I'd be on the lookout for other books by Maddie Please, so I was very exited to get a widget form Boldwood Books for her new book.

What a breath of fresh air this book is! I love Maddie's style, her humour and her mature characters that make you realise that there's no such thing as "too old to".

Reading Sisters Behaving Badly I could see myself (not with a sister, since I only have a brother) in 10 years time, when the kids are all grown up living their own life, leaving with a friend for a crazy adventure and a new start. Dreaming doesn't hurt, right? And that's what books are for.

Thank you to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I do love Maddie Please books and I simply cannot think of a better way to spend a dank Sunday afternoon, than catching up on what is certain to be a gem of a book. I just love the acceptance that not every literary heroine has to be a gorgeous young ‘twirties’ (20’s/30’s) woman.The only thing I struggle with, is the idea of two Sisters having fallen out so badly over a carvery lunch, only because I am so blessed with my Sister!  I am not naive enough to know that we are lucky with our relationship though - although is it luck, or that we are prepared to put in the work? I was also shocked that the Sisters hadn’t lived together for 40 years! That is a lifetime!

Regardless, at the start of the book it looked as though some kind of reparation was going to be made (or at least attempted), which I was pleased about. It is so true that blood is thicker than water, so I held out great hopes for Jenny and Kitty reconciling.

This a wonderful book; once I had started it, I knew that I wasn’t going to be happy until I had finished it. It is a book about family and the ties between Sisters that despite being frayed for a while, can always be healed, if all parties are prepared to put in the effort.

This book has its humorous moments, with the Sisters still thinking about wanting to make the other laugh, despite not having spoken for some time. This gave me hope for the revival of their relationship. Other humorous moments included Kitty falling into a disused swimming pool of sludge and then going for the nonchalant look in front of dishy Leo, the builder! As for tbe debacle with the donkey and Dom the pool man - you will need to read it yourself to believe it!

The book was crammed full of intelligent, clever writing; for example, the description of the packed lunch that Paul had made for Jenny for the ferry crossing ’a dull affair of colourless things and cardboard bread’. Interesting and whether intentional or not,  oddly reflective of Kitty’s opinion of Paul.

I loved the descriptions in the book - of France, the French house, the food and of the scenery. The author shrewdly brought it all to life with her characterisations and narrative and I never tired of the sights and sounds the two Sisters experienced. Paul sounded increasingly hideous and domineering, every time he was mentioned, for example when Jenny explained that she rarely cooks after Paul saw her licking a spoon once while cooking! Wow, what’s not to loath!? When the Sisters were eating pastries in Quimper, I wanted one, they sounded so delectable. Bertrand and Hector - what a pair! I found their characterisation amusing and at times I would read a passage and forget which character was the man and which the donkey!

I liked the way that the author was not afraid to broach tricky subjects - like at what age a woman should give up trying to find a partner. Personally I think I would rather have the life of single but thrice married Kitty, rather then be married to controlling Paul! The subject of domestic abuse comes up - the realisation that what Paul subjects Jenny to, is actually domestic abuse and it is dealt with empathetically.

It felt to me that finishing the renovation of their inheritance together, would bring the two Sisters closer, although it struck me as so sad, that Jenny was so used to her Husband telling her what should be done, that she seemed to have lost all ability to choose or make decisions. One could but hope that the two Sisters would grow to love the house and each other’s company so much, that  they would opt to stay. Indeed could the discovery of one of their late Aunt’s paintings for sale in a gallery, lead to them having the cash for Jenny to live without Paul?

I loved this start from start to finish; it was like a breath of fresh air. A joyous romp, it was funny, sad and entertaining all in just the right amounts and it made me feel so happy, reading it.

There were lots of questions that needed answering in this story.

- Why did the Sisters fall out?
- Why does Kitty dislike Jenny’s Husband Paul, or is it just that he’s always been a bit of a miserable git?
- Why is Jenny so constantly haunted by Paul’s requirements and ’what Paul would think’?
- Why is Ace’s relationship with Paul so bad?
- Can the Sisters repair their relationship?
- Is there a future for Kitty and Leo?

In order to find out the answers to these questions and more, you will need to read this compelling book for yourself..
What a lovely book which has been written about older women. It was great to explore the differences between the sisters. Well done.
Nearly six years since they last met in person, sisters Jenny and Kitty were on their way to France to sort their inheritance.  From an awkward beginning, gradually easing on reminiscing on reminders of memories from their childhood.... but will it last??

A rollercoaster ride for both sisters, remembering the good and not so good times.  Great light hearted read, on occasions situations where many siblings could relate, with humour in the mix.  Definite should read.
I first encountered Maddie Please when I read The Old Duck’s Club and fell in love with her style.  I love the idea that women are still full of life once they pass menopause and head into their later years.  There’s something comforting, for me, to know that I’m not yet within touching distance of the scrap heap!
Sister’s Behaving Badly takes us to rural France and shows us the joys, and pain, of the continental lifestyle.  Inheriting a farmhouse means that estranged sisters, Kitty and Jenny, are forced to communicate for the first time in years. As they arrive and assess the magnitude of the job in hand, it begins to look as though a truce is on the cards.  Sadly, this is short-lived.
I particularly liked Kitty, her attitude to life was a breath of fresh air.  Despite a catalogue of marital disasters, she still has a desire for finding a happy ending and has not given up on finding her perfect man.  What she really needs is to fall in love with herself, but that’s a tough call when you’ve spent so many years being criticised by your closest family. Of course, there may be romance in the air as Kitty develops a gentle friendship with builder Leo.
Jenny was more annoying, to begin with, her superiority was tiring, and I really felt for poor Kitty.  It was a real relief to see her leave in search of her somewhat estranged son.  Those blissful weeks gave Kitty a chance to bloom. On returning, it was sad to see that she still had some way to go with her own personal development, but that realisation coincided with Kitty’s self-discovery.
As I expected, there was laugh out loud hilarity, throughout the book.  From Kitty’s plunge into the bog-like pool, the pram filled with chickens, and the flatulent donkey, I found this book extremely funny.  Watch out for the fate of the French designer sunglasses!
If you want to escape to France and spend a few hours laughing, this is a sure thing!
I enjoyed the older cast of characters, as I've read few books where that's the case. There are a number of humorous moments, but there were also more lulls than I expected. I've never read anything by this author, but I may check out books in the future.
Jenny and Kitty haven't talked for years after an argument. Now in their sixties,  they are being forced to work together to renovate their aunt's home in the French countryside. Jenny is straight laced and judgemental and needs to learn to live a little while out from under her husband's domineering influence. Kitty is fun-loving and carefree,  single after three failed marriages. Their personalities totally clash,  but they're able to find a truce over home repairs and a fully stocked wine cellar. Add to the mix a hot carpenter and his crew,  a flock of demented chickens,  and a flatulent donkey and it's a recipe for disaster.
I love the writing style in this book and found myself snorting with laughter at some of Kitty's disastrous antics and her sarcastic humor.  I really loved her character and how nothing ever seemed to get her down. Jenny was another story.  From the beginning she was just so judgemental,  and even in the end she's still so self-centered I just couldn't bring myself to like her. Overall,  hilarious wonderful book! I can't wait to pick up another by this author.
Thank you to Boldwood Books and Netgalley for the free advance reader copy of this book. The opinions in this review are completely my own and given voluntarily.
If you need a lighter read that will entertain you,  Sisters Behaving Badly is perfect!   Kitty and Jenny are sisters, both in their 60's, who have not gotten along for YEARS!  They inherit a farmhouse in France and have to finish the restorations that their Aunt had started.   Loved the characters, along with great secondary characters and some hilarious animals thrown in!   This is about sisters and their sometimes strained relationships and also about second chances.   You will really enjoy this one!
This is the story of two estranged sisters in their sixities who inherit a house in France and have to be together to renovate it to sell. Kitty has had three marriages which have all failed whereas Jenny has been married to the same man for over twenty years. So why is Kitty the happy sister and Jenny is not ?
I enjoyed this story being a fly on the wall to the sisters getting to know each other all over again. We find out why they really fell out and just as it all seems good it all falls apart again.
Although there was a lot in the book about the sister's aches and pains it didn't really come across that they were in their sixties, they could have been any age , which I suppose must be a good thing as we never feel or think we look our age.
There were funny parts of the book but for me there was just a bit too much slapstick and I'm not a fan of that . The story was good enough without it.
So a good story and good ending and I would  read the author's books again hoping for a bit less comedy.
Sisters Behaving Badly by Maddie Please is a most delightful contemporary novel that made me chuckle throughout and left me smiling.
The main characters are two sisters in their sixties. Life has dealt them some hard knocks along the way. Maddie Please shows that you are never too old to have a new beginning. It is refreshing to read a book where the characters are not in the first throws of youth.
The action takes place in France as the sisters renovate their late aunt’s house. As the house is brought back to life, we see this mirrored in the two main characters. A grey Britain seemed to have knocked the stuffing out of them. In contrast, a sunny France breathes new life into the sisters.
Maddie Please has created a warm and witty novel with some highly amusing scenes which had me literally laughing out loud. Growing old does not have to mean growing up. No matter how old you are, you can still have fun in life. New possibilities and experiences are there to be grabbed.
The house in France breathes life and love. It is a fertile place where life buds and blossoms – literally as a cat has kittens. Hector the donkey and ten hens all add to the fun.
Sisters Behaving Badly was my first book by Maddie Please but now I want to read all her books. Her story has certainly brightened a dark day.
I received a free copy from Rachel’s Random Resources via Net Galley. A favourable review was not required. All opinions are my own.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

A story of two sisters Jenny and Kitty both 60-something who fell out a few years ago and haven’t spoken to each other since then.

Their Aunt Sheila has passed away, and they both inherited her house in France. Before they can think of selling it, there’s repairs needed to be done, so that’s what they go to oversea.

Jenny is married to Paul - who’s a control-freak, and Kitty is divorced……

Apart from the lovely countryside, the repairs to the house, the books main story was the relationship between the sisters.

It was lovely so see the differences between all the males in the story, the dynamics between Leo and his family and Ace, his protectiveness with Jenny.

Will the two sisters finally discuss what happened a few years ago and reconnect or will the Cold War carry on forever?
This book was such a page turner I couldn't put it down, while it started a bit beige and sad as it went on it developed into a warm colourful hug of a book and I will try in future to be more 'Kitty'. Superb!