Cover Image: Our Trespasses

Our Trespasses

Our Trespasses was a really interesting read. Identical twin brothers Matt and Jake share a special connection, one where they feel what each other feels, physically. Matt is living in Brooklyn NY, Jake is in Hatchett NE where they were born and raised. One night Matt gets a terrifying jolt of pain, and he instantly knows the worst has happened to Jake.

Matt returns home, only to be mistaken for his brother multiple times and he learns his brother was quite the asshole. Matt makes it a mission to resolve a wrong-doing with his first love while simultaneously trying to find who his brother did wrong, because well, his brother is in Hell, their connection hasn’t been broken even in death and the Devil has caught wind of said connection and finds that this could be his way out of Hell into the world to wreak havoc. Matt is fighting find who killed his brother while combatting the Devil in a really weird paranormal thriller that had me reading well into the night. If you like weird shit like me, you’ll most likely like this too!
When Matthew Davis fled his hometown a decade ago and never looked back, he never expected that the murder of his twin brother, Jake, would be what brings him back. Now that he’s back home in Hatchet, Nebraska, he’s stuck pretending he’s been living the good life in New York rather than flipping burgers for a living. Matt would rather get in and out of town as fast as possible, but the psychic connection between him and Jake is stronger than ever… and Jake is in hell.

I picked this book up expecting a horror novel, but I would sooner classify it as a light paranormal mystery than horror. We follow Matt as he discovers the psychic connection he’s spent the last decade trying to minimize is stronger than ever now that his brother is dead. Not much happens in the book until we get closer to the end, so we mostly follow him as he sort of catches up with a few people in his hometown. Honestly, the only character that I really liked in this book is Matt’s old friend and now priest, Andy. He really was a breath of fresh air and lit up the chapters he was in.

While this was a quick read, I was definitely expecting a much bigger horror aspect, especially with the Devil himself noticing the connection between Matt and Jake. After a while, I started to wonder if Jake was just fooling around and found a way to get out of hell that didn’t actually involve any other entities. Even when Lucifer allegedly inhabits Matt’s body, it seemed more like it was Jake echoing the things he’s learned about the people of Hatchet in hell. I’m on the fence about whether or not it was just Jake all along, especially because Lucifer could’ve shown up at the end and he was nowhere to be seen.

Like I was saying, not much happens until closer to the end of the book. It picks up speed about a quarter to the end, which is also when things really start happening. This makes it a pretty easy read. If you’re looking for a horror novel, I’d say pass on this because it’s much more of a light paranormal mystery. However, if you’re looking for a short and slow paced light paranormal mystery, this might be up your alley.
Drowning in a meaningless existence flipping burgers, Matthew Davis suddenly collapses from a powerful psychic connection he shares with his twin brother, Jake. The pain is violent and immediate, and Matt knows exactly what it means… hundreds of miles away, Jake has been viciously killed. But instead of severing their connection, the murder intensifies it and Matt begins to suffer the agony of Jake’s afterlife.

Hell bent on solving Jake’s murder in order to break the connection, Matt travels to his troubled hometown of Hatchett, Nebraska, where an old lover and savage new enemies expose the festering wounds that Jake left behind.

Matt tries atoning for Jake’s sins, but when a demon infests the connection between the two brothers, Matt must find a way to sever their bond before his world, and ours, become engulfed in the flames of hell.

Now this was a new concept that I hadn’t encountered in horror before. Telepathic twins… yes… the Devil trying to escape from Hell… definitely… but one twin brother doomed to torture in hell whilst the other is being exploited and tempted by the devil himself to gain entry to Earth to rule is blissful havoc… all wrapped into a crime thriller trying to figure out who killed his brother in the first place - was a first for me! And I read…. LOTS!

There was A LOT going on, and at times I wasn’t sure if this novel really knew what genre it wanted to be… but for me I kinda liked the hybrid feel of it cause I love a good crime mystery and I am all over freaky horror… welcome to Hell vibes. Overall not a bad read.
This was a pretty dark supernatural horror thriller about a psychic bond between twins that must be severed after one of the brothers dies violently.

Michael Cordell provides a few unexpected twists and turns (and at least one you’ll see coming) that make you wonder which one was really the evil twin. At 200 pages, the book can be read in a day. Recommended.
I was pleasantly surprised by Our Trespasses. Matt Davis has a special connection with his brother Jake. Not just a normal twin telepathy, but an actual connection that can reach him all the way from Hell. There is something to said here about the root of evil and what drives people to hurt others without being too apologetic to those people by excusing their actions.
This book had an interesting premise, building on the psychic-twin phenomenon and how that relationship could linger on after death.

I found the protagonist hard to connect with; his apathetic attitude, his self-induced absence from the world is something I could identify with in theory but the overall effect made him impossible to empathize with as a reader. After a while, his self-pity was just mildly aggravating. While there’s plenty of plot, it reads more as a character study; the last third of the book focusing more and more on Matt’s introspection and character development. He doesn’t really turn his attitude towards having actual emotions until after an interaction with his old crush.

Matt is a very judgemental character – towards himself and about others. He makes assumptions about the people he meets like he’s a mind reader and judges them bitterly over the smallest details. Conveniently, most of them turn out to have done something immoral, unethical or illegal in the past.

The path the storyline took was rather predictable and a slow build. It was an entertaining read, but not exciting or enveloping. I wouldn’t recommend it to fans of the thriller, horror or supernatural genres – this is more of a generalized contemporary fiction with a supernatural edge. I can see someone using this book in a litcrit essay on Hell, as there were plenty subtle ties to classic works like Dante’s Divine Comedy.

After finishing this book, I feel ambivalent about it. This is not a book I would suggest to a friend or keep a copy on my bookshelf, but I don’t have any regrets about reading it. Maybe I’ve just absorbed some of Matt’s depressed detachment and am lacking my usual enthusiasm.

(I received a free copy of this through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)
Identical twin brother's Matt and Jake share a unique connection which was not severed even after Jake died.  Something evil takes notice of this connection and plots to make use of the brothers.  Matt left his hometown years earlier to get away from his brother leaving behind his mother and girlfriend, and when he arrives back for Jake's funeral he finds out that Jake was actually one of the town villains and had made many enemies.  Matt must severe their connection once and for all by righting the wrongs Jake left behind, but this will not be easy.

The supernatural and horror elements of this book certainly made for a creepy read, although I don't think all of the Evil One's actions made sense in terms of his overall objective.  Some classic scary movie scenes where adding in but didn't make sense in terms of the storyline, such as the movie theatre scene.

Some things didn't quite add up but despite this it was a really good read.  I enjoyed the various aspect's that put this story together, which I won't name here as it will give the story away.  Definitely worth reading.
I'm a bit late to the party with my review, i think it is already published, but I'm a slow reader so...
I enjoyed this paranormal mystery/horror - all those are genres i greatly enjoy. To be honest i read through it quite fast for myself as i was quite engrossed in the story.
Thank you for the arc Netgalley.
Our Trespasses explores the bond between twin brothers Matt and Jake and what happens to that bond after one of them die. A mystery thriller with horror elements, this was a strong story with some very devastating reveals. Small town troubles, family relationships , lost loves, this book has a it all but it's never muddled and everything is explained. In the end it's a heartfelt story about forgiveness and making peace with your past.
Our Trespasses straddles between two genres, horror and mystery, and does it like a professional high-flying trapeze artist.  Done with skill and talent, that did not let me down.

Matt Davis and his brother Jake, are identical twins. They share everything, including feelings and sensations. When one is hurt the other feels his pain, one is sick the other is too.  But something happened between the brothers to break their close bond and Matt leaves town, never looking back.

Then one day, out of the blue, he is hit with the worse pain of his life, his head is exploding, he fights to stay standing and as he hits the ground he realizes his brother, thousands of miles away, has just been shot in the head and killed.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, when he returns home for the funeral he discovers the connection he shared with Jake is still alive, even though Jake is not. He has to find out who killed him and break that connection.  That’s the mystery.

But who killed his brother is the least of his worries. Something has discovered their connection, something not of this world, and it wants to use that link to enter this world. Kick in the horror, hold on tight because Cordell is about to throw you all over the place at such a speed you won't know what hit you.

I really enjoy this book. I have never read, Michael Cordell, and honestly never heard of him. But my Lord, he is a talented story crafter! Reminds me of when Koontz was at his prime.

I tore through this book in record time, needing to find out how it ended and it was worth every minute.

Highly recommended.

Thanks to @Netgalley, TCK Publishing, and Michael Cordell for this eArc in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.
I went into this with high hopes. I'm around a 3.5. I enjoyed the psychic connection storyline, and most of it felt original. I think the books is longer than it needs to be. I think it's longer than the story we have. Too much filler.
I appreciate the descriptive violence though.
I enjoyed this paranormal thriller. I was drawn in from the start and continued reading well past time my bed time. First read by author and it didn’t disappoint.
Our Trespasses started so strong, I was deeply invested in the fate of our main character Matthew Davis who takes a ten year refuge as a short order cook in NY after escaping his quiet country life in Hatchett, Nebraska. Living on minimal wage in hipster area of Brooklyn eating greasy burgers for dinner gets suddenly interrupted when he feels his connection to his twin brother Jake being violently severed by his sudden death at someone’s hands. Matt travels back home to the town that time forgot, where nostalgia is still ticking and alive and where the mystery of his brother’s demise begins to engulf his entire existence.

Old crossed lovers, brooding darkness brewing within the town’s residents and the question of who murdered Jake in cold blood is supposed to take the center stage here. Unfortunately most of that stage is spend building up the character of Matt and not much else, it feels that his brother and the incident take a back seat. By the time things get hot the ‘maybe real maybe not’ possessions and hauntings seem weirdly out of place when they do happen. Also Matt goes from being poor and frugal to hanging out for days without pay half way across the country spending money, pick a side, and stick to it please.

Big thanks to NetGalley and TCK Publishing for providing a copy for a review!

- Kas
Thank you to NetGalley for the eArc.  This was a wild ride.  Matt returns to his hometown after the death of his identical twin Jake.  The special connection between the two of them has apparently not been severed by Jake's death and Matt is forced to experience his brother's suffering in hell.  In order to free Jake, Matt goes on a hunt for those that Jake wronged in life in an effort to get them to forgive Jake, which turns out to be no small task, and someone or something is working hard against him.
  The premise of this story had a lot of potential.  I really enjoyed the main character Matt and the author provided a convincing backdrop with the small town that had a big meth problem. The other characters were fun, especially Andy the town priest.  There were a few parts that didn't work for me as they leaned toward the melodramatic, one scene in particular with Matt and Claire in Jake's bedroom that became more comedy than horror.
  Overall, this was a fun read for me and I would definitely recommend it.  The horror was there, some gruesome scenes, plenty of blood, and some menacing crows.  I liked the paranormal aspect of the twin connection, and didn't find the religious parts to be overdone or unreasonably heavy handed.
The title had me curious and caused me to read it. I had a hard time setting this book down for some breaks because of every page, I had to read it. It was hard to stop. The only time I set this book down was for bedtime. Even during bedtime, I had a hard time getting to sleep. I just wanted to keep reading. Why? Because the whole storyline was fantastic and thrilling for me. So many things were happening once this character went back home. In every chapter, something went wrong in a crazy sadistic way.  Things I love to read from a book. It was scary, thrilling, even horror-stricken. The story is that great. I didn't want it to end. I wanted more. I love how the author made this storyline. It deserves more than five stars. If I could give my own stars, it will be a 10 out of 10. It is worth the reading. I seriously recommend this book for those who haven't read it and I seriously recommend anyone out there to own this book. I truly love it!
Wasn't too sure about this at the outset but it quickly pulled me in. The storyline was unusual, examining the psychic link between twins, and the plot was superb. Very well thought out, superbly written and a cracking read.
A decent paranormal thriller. It kept my attention till the end. Reminded me of Supernatural. Religious themes, Satan, Twin bonding, life after death. Original storyline. I would recommend.
Deliver us from evil...

This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary
This was a pretty decent character focused Paranormal thriller. There were a few really good and tense scenes, which is rare for a book in my opinion. But in the end I found it a bit cliché and think it relied to heavily on a lot of tropes I've seen so many times with nothing to make them unique.
Twins are supposed to share a special connection. In this book the author takes that premise to the next level, in fact, to the highest level of good and evil battle where Lucifer himself is participant. But if you don’t overthink the incongruously grandiose premise (and it’s easy to, because really? all Lucifer’s been waiting for is a twinsie power situation?), this is actually a pretty good book and a solid paranormal thriller.
     Didn’t know what to expect, never read the author, but it reads like a professional job through and through, and, more importantly, it’s well-written, character driven and exciting.
      The book starts off like so many books do – with a man returning to his middle of nowhere small town, specifically in Nebraska during a sweltering summer, to bury his brother. Twins or not, super-connected or not, ten years prior it all got too be too much, claustrophobically so. Thus, one of the twins took off while the other stayed behind. Neither have made much of themselves, but the gone twin at least is a semi-decent person while the stayed twin became a scum of the earth sort of person and a dealer.
      The idea was that death would severe once and for all their potent connection, but alas that wasn’t to be. In fact, now that the dead twin went to his just rewards down below, the connection is stronger than ever and the grandest evil of all is desperately trying to board that train back to the surface.
       Can this all be solved by finding out who killed his brother? Can this all be solved by obtaining forgiveness for his brother from all the people he has wronged? Or is this an unwinnable fight? Well, that’s what the protagonist of the book is going to find out. All while reevaluating his life choices and reclaiming his decade-long abandoned relationships.
      So there you have it, a perfectly decent story elevated by above average writing. The author has done some screenwriting and it shows, there’s a certain vividness to his imagery, the way his narrative comes to live; the closet scene alone…excellent. Overall, this was a pretty good read, spooky and atmospheric without relying on guts and gore as so many scary stories tend to. Plus, there’s a bonus murder mystery to unravel with a nice plot twist. Fun was had. Recommended. Thanks Netgalley.