Cover Image: My Sister’s Child

My Sister’s Child

My Sister’s Child by Karen Clarke was a cleverly written psychological thriller with a complex, emotional issues. This book has lots of betrayal, lies and secrets with lots of twists and turns, that built this story into a great book!

Wow! I loved it especially as it was my first book by Karen Clarke. I will be looking to read more of her books in the future!

I highly recommend this book. 5 Stars from me.

Big thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in return for giving an honest review
Thank you NetGalley and publisher for this ARC publication for an honest review.

My Sister’s Child
Karen Clarke
Published: December 8, 2021

What would you do for your sister? Rachel (the wild child) and Jess (the dependable one) are sisters who live on the opposite ends of the spectrum…when Rachel offers her baby to Jess and her husband as their own, they agree to parenthood and the secret that Noah is not really theirs. This is just one of the many lies and secrets surrounding the characters. This was a great suspenseful, leave you on the edge of your seat mystery filled with twists and turn. I really enjoyed the additional “narrative” from Rachel’s emails that gave clues along the way. I will be adding Karen Clarke as an author to watch out for!
This story will keep you guessing throughout. With character you will automatically presume are guilty, you will be wrong every time. It's quite an emotional book to read. The police think Rachel drowned. Believing it was murder, Jess starts her own investigation. With secrets and lies, the truth must be told. The pace is steady throughout. The ending was perfect.
My sister's child by Karen Clarke.
Five years ago, my sister Rachel left her baby boy on my doorstep. A little bundle wrapped in blankets.
A brilliant read.  Full of twists and surprises.  I couldn't put it down.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  I loved Jess character. Very cleverly written.  5*.
I really enjoyed this book. The main twist I did not see coming and I actually enjoyed how the ending played out. The main character Jess was a breath of fresh air for her independence and caring but fierce personality. I will definitely be recommending this book to family and friends this holiday season!
My Sister’s Child by Karen Clarke is a well written suspenseful novel that kept me reading long into the night.  I did guess the first big reveal but it didn’t take away from my enjoyment. The characters are well developed and relatable. The tension rises throughout the story until all is revealed….which was a surprise to me. A good thriller.  The story takes place in the Lake District which is a place I hold close to my heart.  Recommended.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC
Karen Clarke is an extremely versatile author – as well as romantic comedy, she also writes short stories and contemporary thrillers, and the book reviewed here is a fine example of the latter category. In My Sister's Child, we encounter Jess, who has been gifted the chance to be a mother in highly unusual circumstances, as her own sister entrusted her with an abandoned baby boy. Things become even more tragic when Jess’s sister is found dead, presumed murdered, and Jess starts receiving anonymous messages threatening the baby will be taken from her. Can Jess solve the mysteries surrounding her sister’s death and unmask the anonymous writer? Or will any investigations land her in even deeper trouble? Tightly plotted, with tension maintained through to the very end, this is a well-written thriller that I highly recommend. My thanks go to NetGalley and the publishers for my free ARC that I enjoyed reading in return for this unbiased review.
Thank you NetGalley for providing this book for an honest review. This book was full of twists and turns. It had me guessing from the very beginning. It is an emotional read that you will love.
I found this quite an irritating read. I was intrigued by the blurb but it just didn’t live up to my expectations. Too many characters, all hiding something and I worked out 2/3 of the big reveals. The only one I didn’t get was who killed Rachel and frankly I didn’t actually care that much.

I found the characters whiny and didn’t really gel with any of them. It’s not a bad story but it didn’t work for me and I only finished it for finishing its sake.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for my copy of this book.
Interesting way of changing the point of view of both sisters. And, as often happens, I was drawn to some of the characters in the background that in this case seemed to be crucial in some ways. But let me not spoil the surprise (s) for you, just get your hands on this book and you'll be occupied for days ;-)

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of the book.
An excellent read.
Full of twists and turns and what ifs,well written credible characters with believable back stories neatly meshing into main story.
I was completely enthralled and the ending wow a huge twist I did not see coming at all!
This is exactly the kind of suspense/ thriller that I dream about. Where to even start?! If you are a fan of fast paced, complex thrillers then you'll just devour this. I had so many questions the whole way through and still never saw the ending coming. It has so many twists and turns and just when you think you've figured out who's at fault, everything gets flipped on its head and the entire landscape changes. It does an amazing job of keeping you guessing. You won't be able to put it down until you do finally get to that big reveal  I can't speak highly enough, definitely give this one a try
My thanks to NetGalley and publisher HQ for the ARC.

This is a really cleverly-written psychological thriller with a complex, absorbing story with lots of tension, which builds from individual droplets of fear and worry into a full-blown torrent of exposed secrets, betrayal and lies.  Wow!

The story begins with the death of 27yr-old Rachel - estranged sister to 35yr-old Jess.  The death is ruled to be an accident where Rachel, being drunk, had fallen into the canal at Camden.  Following her return to the Lake District Jess starts to receive anonymous notes about her 5yr-old son Noah and his true parentage.  Yes, it's true that 6 years previously Rachel became pregnant and, the father being out of the picture, offered her sister Jess the baby (Jess and husband Adam had been trying unsuccessfully for years).  They couldn't have been happier for the last 5+ years, only now they're worried that the real father wants Noah back and Jess thinks she knows who that is - or alternatively, someone knows their secret and they'll be blackmailed.

Rachel's boss at a London gallery contacts Jess and seeds the idea that he thinks Jess could in fact have been murdered and they loosely work together on their own investigation.  Meanwhile, Jess asks family friend Denny (an ex-policeman turned investigator) to keep an eye on Noah for her.

Intermittently the narrative provides us with a series of un-sent emails from Rachel to Jess which result in explosive revelations.

Now, as much as I'd like to tell you more, I daren't for fear of spoilers.  Don't be fooled by the seemingly innocuous and, perhaps, slow beginning, this is definitely one to stick to.  It's a tense and emotional read, with well-drawn, menacing and intriguing, characters.

What can I say? Thoroughly recommended.
Rachel left her baby boy on her sister Jess’ doorstep for her to raise as her own. Jess has looked after Noah with her husband Adam for the last five years and for Jess they have been the best of her life she has wanted to be a mother for a long time but sadly it hasn’t happened for her now thanks to Rachel she has the chance that she has always wanted.

Now Rachel is dead, the police say it was an accident but Jess and Rachel’s old boss Will aren’t so sure and now Jess is receiving anonymous messages from someone claiming to know that Noah isn’t really her son and is ready to do all they can to fight for Noah. Out of her mind with worry Jess confides in Adam who seems worried however he isn’t anywhere near as concerned as she is.

Determined to get to the bottom of this Jess launches her own personal investigation trying to get to the bottom of whether or not Rachel’s death was indeed an accident or if it was murder as well as trying to find out who is behind the threatening messages regarding her son.

This book kept me interested all the way through and had me hooked right from the start. I can honestly not remember reading a book with so much suspense right from the start until the very end. There were so many questions I had all the way through and I just wanted to read on and discover the answers to all the secrets. Plus I loved the ending I had no idea that was coming and I would never have guessed the outcome in a million years.

Thank you to NetGalley, the author and the publishers for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I honestly cannot recommend this book enough and I certainly think I’ll be looking to read more books by Karen Clarke!
Five years ago, my sister Rachel left her baby by on my doorstep. A little bundle wrapped in blankets. I love him. Cared for him. I called him Noah and raised him as my own. Rachel was full of secrets, and the truth about Noah was one we shared. A secret just between sisters. Now, my sister is dead. The police say it was an accident.... But I'm convinced that was a lie. I owe it to Rachel to uncover the truth....

This story will keep you guessing throughout. With characters you will automatically presume are guilty, you will be wrong every time. It's quite an emotional book to read. The police think Rachel drowned. Believing it was murder, Jess starts her own investigation. With secrets and lies, the truth must be told. The pace is steady throughout. The ending was perfect.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #HQDigital and the author #KarenClarke for my ARC of #MtSistersChild in exchange for an honest review
Wow! This book cast suspicion on so many characters that I had no idea how it would turn out! To me that’s  the definition of the perfect suspense novel! I will definitely look to read more by this new-to-me author.
Jess has raised Noah, her sister Rachel's child, as her own since he was left on her doorstop five years ago.  She loves this little boy more than she could have imagined.  But now, tragedy has struck- Rachel has drowned.  Jess's search for the truth about what happened to her might mean the end to her happy life (albeit one which has always had a shadow).  It's important to know even if old secrets and big lies must come out.  It's hard to review without spoilers but know that it's plausible scenario in a genre where they sometimes are not.  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.  Clarke does an especially nice job with the tension- it's a good read.
I enjoyed reading My Sister's Child. It was a little slow in places but had enough twists and turns to keep me reading and I found the ending quite a shocker which I did not see coming.

Thank you to NetGalley and HQ for my ARC.
I've said it once and I will say it again, Karen Clarke is an incredible writer. Originally a writer of romantic comedy she then started writing psychological suspense and she certainly writes them well.

I've been lucky enough to read all of Karen's suspense novels and this one didnt disappoint. I think it is probably the best one yet.

It really kept me guessing and even second guessing myself. I had to keep reading as I needed to unravel the story further.

I loved the split between present day and Rachel's draft emails to her sister, she really was a troubled soul.

I was so pleased with the ending, it was so fitting and really made me smile.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I think Karen writes a brilliant psychological thriller, her stories are always packed full of intrigued and twists and turns. There are some great characters with believable and relatable lives, the plot is paced well,  it captivates you so you want to keep reading on. I liked the sound of the plot too. Karen's writing gives you that level of intrigue that you just want to read a bit more. You wonder what is going to happen but the twists that happen in the book will leave you on the edge of your seat, when the first big twist came, I didn't really know what the outcome was going to be. But it was very good, and kept me engaged till the end. I look forward to Karen's next book. They are just brilliant.