Cover Image: No Ex Before Marriage

No Ex Before Marriage

When I opened this book and started reading the first chapter I thought I may have made a mistake - Poppy was surrounded by a friend group who sounded awful, she was having a terrible time, and I didn’t want to read a book about a woman who was struggling with life and friendships. Imagine my delight when the story picked up after that and turned into a delightful tale of a woman finding her place in the world.

I was cheering Poppy on as she navigated through relationships old and new, and there were quite a few laugh out loud moments with these - especially once they got to the castle! Although the overall tone was quite light, it still did deal with some fairly difficult topics that many people Poppy’s age have dealt with - losing close friends, death of a parent, miscarriage, divorce - and I felt that these topics were dealt with sensitively. And obviously we all know how it ends because that’s exactly how a book like this SHOULD end, but the journey to the end point is absolutely worth it.

I really enjoyed this book and would absolutely read the author again. A surprise gem for me! If you like contemporary rom-coms that still deal with some real life issues, then this is a great pick for your next book.
another Portia MacIntosh story that was great.  They are always good stories.  I like Portia stories and they are must reads.
This book was fun to read. I liked the relationships in it. Poppy and her friend Cat became fast friends even thought they just met. Their friendship seemed very true. Poppy and Zach's relationship was heart warming and heart breaking at the same time.
This is just the kind of book that one should pick up on a lazy afternoon. The writing, the characters and the eventual turn of the story are all enjoyable.
Poppy was the first of her friends to get married. She was part of a close-knit gang of four. The rest of them are married now, and she feels left out of their activities, mostly with good reason. The story begins at a wedding where she makes a new friend, one who might lead her astray, but she is too frustrated with her current lifestyle to be bothered by this small fact. She has had a hard couple of years, and the news her father gives her does not help.
This news leads her to run to her (not really) ex's wedding. She needs some time to sort things out, but the charade they end up playing engages in the expected way. Even the friends she is almost estranged from come back to contribute to the plotline. Here is where my usual niggle comes to play. The idea is continuously supported that if a couple gets hitched and does not get unbelievably drunk every weekend and do something stupid, they are now boring! This is not just a feeling; the 'happily ever after' is followed by such scenes to show everyone that we met is 'cool' again, spending their Friday evening (or some such) doing and saying things they will regret in the morning! Given the depth and emotional connections some people established during the story, I felt like this extension or explanation for how everything is resolved reduced my enjoyment a little.
For most other readers, this point will not be much of a hindrance, and therefore I would recommend this to anyone who reads this genre. The story's flow and the imagery keep the reader hooked and make the overall reading experience a fun one.
I received an ARC thanks to NetGalley and the publishers but the review is entirely based on my own reading experience.
I adore Portia Macintosh, every book gets better and better. This might possibly be my new favourite (although I say that with every book).

This has been entertaining and allowed me to completely escape and forget about any worries or anxieties I’ve had. This is something I love about Portia, she can help me escape and completely take me away from reality.

I love the characters in this one, another talent of Portia is that she creates likeable and realistic characters that you are able to become invested in.

I’ve laughed out loud at so many moments in this book. This is one that I could easily imagine on the big screen. I have devoured page after page just craving more.

This is a fun and uplifting read which has made me laugh and escape reality. Just the book I’ve needed. Portia gets better and better with every book and this is one that deserves all the stars. A definite for the TBR.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Really like this authors work. Easy to read and gun. Colourful characters. Good book to read at a weekend wrapped up on the sofa.
Fun, fabulous and frothy romantic read. Loved it from start to finish. An absolute gem of a read. Absolutely hilarious! Poppy is a hoot and her gaggle of friends and family make this an absolute joy. The premise makes for a fantastic story. Really enjoyable.

I loved this funny book. It was a really god ready that I didn’t want to put down. I will be recommending it to my Book Club. Well done!
Thank you to netgalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me an eARC of this book to read and review. I love reading and making a difference by giving feedback.

this is a beautiful laugh out loud romance comedy that is full of relatable characters, fun events and an immersive writing style that felt like I was in the book. I loved this it was beautiful and so romantic. I will be reading more from Portia Machlintosh in the future.
This was such a fun quick read! I really liked the humor throughout the story and I found the main character very likeable. I also really enjoyed the whole concept of the story and think it worked really well overall.
Let’s start with a bold statement! I actually think this is the best book I’ve read by Portia, and that is high praise indeed as I have enjoyed each and every one of her books.

When you read a book by this author, you are guaranteed to find likeable characters, interesting and comforting storylines, and bespoke and well described settings. This book has all of that. However, I also definitely found this a really touching and emotional read.

Poppy is a great character and I identified with her in a lot of ways. She is a strong, career-driven woman who has been through a huge amount of upheaval and is still trying to find her place in the world. (reminding me of myself!) I loved following Poppy on this journey and the fact that we get to see segments of her past, as well as details of her present and a glimpse into the future, ensures that her character is fully developed and the narrative satisfying and fulfilling.

The story itself takes you through a lot of ups and downs, and reminds us constantly of the importance of family, friends but most of all communication. In true Portia style, this is still a properly funny book in parts and will have you laughing at loud at times, and close to tears at others.

Zachary is also a great character, and I personally feel like he serves to highlight some of the problems with the “modern man”. Content for an easy life in terms of relationships, struggling with emotional communication and striving for success pretty much sums up Zach. You definitely get the sense that he is someone who, on the surface, has it all, but deep down is needing something more. Is the missing piece of the puzzle Poppy herself, or is there more to this story?

This is an absolutely gorgeous read and highly recommended for fans of true romantic comedy authors, such as Sophie Ranald, Carole Matthews and Camilla Isley.
I have been a fan of Portia’s work for a while now. I haven’t quite caught up with everything that she has written but I am getting there. I love the way in which she writes such romantic comedy stories. I read the synopsis for ‘No Ex Before Marriage’ and it certainly sounded like another cracker of a read. Well it was certainly that and so much more. I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘No Ex Before Marriage’ but more about that in a bit.
I absolutely loved the character of Poppy and I warmed to her from the start. In fact I grew to like Poppy so much that she felt more like a friend than a character in a book. I really felt for her. She is a canny young lass, who was married but has since ‘divorced’ (or at least she thought she had). She has a close knit group of ‘friends’. The other ladies in the group are either married or about to get married. Her friends have started arranging things for couples between themselves and ignoring Poppy, who starts feeling pretty hurt, which I could totally understand. I could definitely relate to this because in my last employment I thought I had a group of friends but it turns out they weren’t friends at all as they arranged things without inviting me and I haven’t seen sight nor sound of them since the day I left. Anyway that’s enough about me so back to the review I do go. I was so hoping that things would work out well for her and that she would find the ‘happy ever after’ ending that she so deserved. What happens? Well for the answer to that question and so much more you are just going to have to read the book for yourselves to find out as I am not going to tell you.
It took me no time at all to get into ‘No Ex Before Marriage’. In fact the synopsis was enough to grab my attention and the story within the book’s covers sealed the deal. Once I started reading this book then I just didn’t stop. The book seemed to develop a hold over me and it was a hold that I wasn’t willing to break. My Kindle wasn’t glued to my hand but it might as well have been because it travelled everywhere with me. I couldn’t bear to miss a single second of the story. I couldn’t turn the pages of the book quickly enough as I was so desperate to find out what happened to Poppy and whether or not she got the ‘happy ever after’ that she so deserved. The book came along at the right time for me, as I was feeling a little fed up and in need of a tonic. Well this book was definitely a tonic for me. I started laughing pretty early on in the story and I just didn’t stop. I soon got to the end of ‘No Ex Before Marriage’ and I had to say goodbye to Poppy. I found ‘No Ex Before Marriage’ to be a delightful book to read with lots of fun, humour and romance.
‘No Ex Before Marriage’ is superbly written but then I have come to expect nothing less from Portia MacIntosh. Portia has one of those easy going writing styles that is easy to get used to and easy to get along with. In fact reading one of Portia’s books feels more like a chat between friends than reading a book. Portia certainly knows how to grab your attention and draw you into what proves to be a helluva book. It’s clear to see that Portia cares about her characters and this shines through in the very vivid and realistic way in which she describes them. I love the way in which Portia makes the reader feel as though they are part of the story themselves and at the heart of the action.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘No Ex Before Marriage’ and I would definitely recommend it to other readers. I will certainly be reading more of Portia’s work in the future. The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
A gorgeous novel.  It was packed full of drama, comedy and such a heart warming story. I absolutely loved that this book was not just some love story but also shows how friends can change as they grow and sometimes all we need to do is voice our feelings. Recommend you get your hands on a copy.
I thought that this was a great book and I loved the storyline!

The characters in the book were great and really well developed.

I loved the flow to the story, but I will say that I found it a little silted in placed and it spoilt the lovely flow that would have made it 5 stars but it didn’t spoil my reading too much – I loved the ending!

It is 4 stars from me for this one, highly recommended!
4.5 stars

I enjoyed this contemporary story.

Poppy is getting fed up in the way her old school friends are treating her.  She's a divorcee and they sit her away from them as couples and puts them on the singles table.  Her Dad sorts out his wife's office and tells her she's still married to her ex, Zac and her ex is getting remarried.  This started a map cap rush to warn him and get him to sign some paperwork.  Whilst doing this Poppy realises she still loves Zac and is not at all impressed with his new social influencer fiancee.,

Portia is a new author to me and I might look out for more of her work.

I  voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
The fabulous Portia Macintosh returns with a stellar romantic comedy I absolutely adored: No Ex Before Marriage.

Every single one of her friends might be making that trip down the aisle, but Poppy is not the slightest bit tempted. Having been through it all already, divorced Poppy might be happy for her friends, but she doesn’t envy them one single bit. Marriage is clearly not for her and Poppy had accepted this – until she makes an earth-shattering discovery that leaves her with her jaw on the floor: her divorce never went through and she is still married to her husband, Zac. And as if that wasn’t bad enough already, Zac is about to have his second wedding! What is Poppy going to do now?

Telling your former husband that you are still married just weeks before his second wedding is not something you can plan for. Coming face to face with her ex brings a whole host of emotions to the fore Poppy was not prepared for and as if the situation between her and Zac isn’t complicated enough already, he panics and rather than tell his bride-to-be the truth tells her that’s she family! Talk about making an awkward situation even worse!

With Zac back in her life, memories of their life together come flooding back, but is Poppy ready to let bygones be bygones? Or will she find herself wanting to say ‘I do’ again?

Written with plenty of wit, humour and charm, Portia McIntosh’s No Ex Before Marriage is a side-splittingly hilarious romantic comedy perfect for Sophie Kinsella fans. Full of hi-jinks, mischief, emotion, warmth and plenty of heart, No Ex Before Marriage is just the thing to chase the blues away and provide the reader with some much-needed escapism – something we are desperate for at the moment!

Fun, flirty and absolutely fantastic, Portia Macintosh’s No Ex Before Marriage is simply irresistible!
No Ex Before Marriage is a delightful Rom-Com with a touch of somberness to bring in a bit of reality and emotions. Poppy is the oldest of her core of girlfriends, she was the first to be married and divorced. At the wedding of the last of her single girlfriends Poppy is about to encounter some unwelcome reality into the festivities… she’s been regulated to the “singles” table. What? As if divorce is contagious or something! But here she sits and encounters a new friend in Kat. Kat might be exactly what Poppy needs as she is a touch wild, definitely willing to take on a few risks, and she doesn’t act like Poppy did something wrong by her marriage not working out. She might no longer belong in that “Married Friends” circle but she’s not without a new friend.

Except…

It turns out that Poppy and Zac’s divorce was never finalized and they are still legally wed. It’s an error that’s easily fixable except, well, Zac is about to be married in a few days and Poppy has no time to wait for the divorce to be dealt with one day soon. So off she and Kat go to a castle to crash a wedding, get divorce papers signed, and to a man who once was her world until it all crumbled around them.

I enjoyed No Ex Before Marriage. There were moments of uncontrollable giggles, and times when the seriousness of the moment, the emotions that were easily felt gave this story a completely different feel. If you love a Romantic Comedy, a heroine beyond the first blush of youth, and figuring out the will they or won’t they that Zac and Poppy face… then you’ll have a good time with this one. This is a new to me author, and I’ll definitely be checking out her backlist.

*I received an e-ARC of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are my own – good, bad, or indifferent. I was not financially compensated for this review and no expectation of a positive review was promised.*
I  really wanted to love this one, however it fell a little flat for me. It’s suppose to be a romcom but unfortunately I didn’t find it as funny as other might. However, I really like how the story has flashbacks and is told in the present and past. I might check out other books by Portia Macintosh
Poppy has just discovered that she is still married to the man she thought she had divorced six years ago. Now she is on her way to save the day as he is about to get married again.

This was a hilarious yet romantic novel with plenty of quirky characters and laughter.
3.5 stars
After a few flat books this past year (I really was disappointed with the last three), Portia MacIntosh returns to form with ‘No ex before marriage’.

Divorced Poppy is the subject of exclusion by her now married friends, only to find out from her dad that her divorce didn’t go through. Trouble is her not-quite-ex husband Zac is a movie star about to get married in Scotland. Off to Scotland she goes.

‘No ex ..’ is full of the same comedic moments counterbalanced with heavier topics, o including reasons for the demise of Poppy and Zac’s marriage at a young age. There were times though I felt sections could’ve been cut down or left out. Zac also behaved inappropriately by not disclosing his marriage to his fiancé. But as we know, all’s well that ends well.

This book is definitely one not to miss.