Cover Image: No Ex Before Marriage

No Ex Before Marriage

I  really wanted to love this one, however it fell a little flat for me. It’s suppose to be a romcom but unfortunately I didn’t find it as funny as other might. However, I really like how the story has flashbacks and is told in the present and past. I might check out other books by Portia Macintosh
Poppy has just discovered that she is still married to the man she thought she had divorced six years ago. Now she is on her way to save the day as he is about to get married again.

This was a hilarious yet romantic novel with plenty of quirky characters and laughter.
3.5 stars
After a few flat books this past year (I really was disappointed with the last three), Portia MacIntosh returns to form with ‘No ex before marriage’.

Divorced Poppy is the subject of exclusion by her now married friends, only to find out from her dad that her divorce didn’t go through. Trouble is her not-quite-ex husband Zac is a movie star about to get married in Scotland. Off to Scotland she goes.

‘No ex ..’ is full of the same comedic moments counterbalanced with heavier topics, o including reasons for the demise of Poppy and Zac’s marriage at a young age. There were times though I felt sections could’ve been cut down or left out. Zac also behaved inappropriately by not disclosing his marriage to his fiancé. But as we know, all’s well that ends well.

This book is definitely one not to miss.
There is a rich vein of humour to be mined from this story. Full of larger than life characters, the story moves from one episode to the next. All the excitement of the build-up to a wedding is captured as well as the emotions that swirl around. In fact, you are invited to two weddings. In the first, Poppy realises how far apart she is in danger of drifting from her now married friends. The second wedding is one she never expected to be at- that of her ex-husband in a remote Scottish castle, on an island. Poppy has a very particular reason for being there.
    You soon warm to all the characters you meet, with a few exceptions of the celebrity kind. The connection between Poppy and her ex is palpable. Full of fun and humour, this is a light romcom read for anyone wanting to escape for a while. Portia's books do not disappoint.

In short- Who will say 'I do'?
Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the book
No Ex Before Marriage was my first Portia MacIntosh book and I really enjoyed it! We meet Poppy on the eve of her birthday (New Year's Day) at her friend's wedding. A few days later, she realises she's still married to her ex, Zac, when they divorced six years ago. Getting married to an influencer at a Scottish castle in mere days, Poppy reluctantly gatecrashes his wedding celebrations.

This book was fun, with plenty of wedding hijinks to keep readers entertained. I also really liked the characters. You've got intimidating action star Sonny, his stunt double Farrell, spontaneous Kat and of course, Poppy. I loved when she stood up for herself when it comes to her career and friendships.

While this book was captivating and fast-paced, it wasn't without depth too. I really appreciated the flashbacks MacIntosh sprinkled throughout, so we learned exactly why Zac and Poppy divorced and how much they meant to each other.

I think fans of Sophie Kinsella will enjoy No Ex Before Marriage and Portia MacIntosh books in general.

Thank you to Boldwood Books and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for this honest review.
This story is heartwarming and humorous, with a strong cast of characters and an idyllic setting. The escapist plot finds Poppy having to face her ex-husband just before his wedding so he can re-sign his divorce papers.

There's an engaging mix of fun and poignancy. Friendship and love are explored through Poppy's eyes as she comes to terms with her present life.

A perfect read if you enjoy your romantic comedy with originality, quirky characters and lots of laughter and tears.
This was a really fun read.  The characters were awesome and it was a really cute story line.  If you like happy endings (spoiler alert), then this is for you.
Fun, though absolutely no romance or passion between the leads. Kat was brilliant!!

I don't normally read this genre but this was an Amazon-recommended tale and I'm glad I picked it up. It was funny and sweet and a little sad and I very much enjoyed the adventure that Poppy and her new friend Kat went on, and how the old posse of Poppy's friends, from whom she was becoming estranged, turned up for her and how they refashioned their friendship.

It was absolutely not a romance novel, which I liked. Yes, it had a few guys in it who could have been would-be lovers to either Poppy or Kat but there was absolutely no spark and no passion and no love that I could see amongst any of the potentials. There was affection between Poppy and Liam, one of her friend's little brother, 10 years younger and with a crush. There was a could-be-something non-event with Fred., who came across as a really decent type, but it went nowhere. And sadly, as for the romance with the ex, well, that was the non-starter of non-starters.

There were a few too many cooks in this, as if the author wanted a riotious time to be had by all, all the time. But, nothing was present in any depth. Not the tale, not the leads, not the romance, but I still enjoyed it and devoured it in 2 hours on the train. I would read more by this author.
This was such a fun romance! I loved the MC and I'm looking forward to reading more of the author's works.
Cover: Nice, but the three characters have a body language that doesn’t match their personality in the story.

No Ex Before Marriage is a cute, heart-warming story. Just what I needed as I recover (not there yet, but almost).

I do love MacIntosh’s prose, for example. It’s funny without going over-the-top—very genre-appropriate, so that’s good—and it’s serious when the plot requires it. The plot itself is a little silly, considering, but sometimes realism needs to take the backseat. I mean, I had to suspend my disbelief a little more than usual, no biggie.

Poppy is a fantastic MC. She’s quite relatable, even if she’s a lot nicer than me, and well-written. Zac and Lilac, the other MCs, are interesting too. They have pleasant personalities overall, and I’m glad MacIntosh didn’t paint Lilac with a nasty brush just because she’s the third wheel. Well done.

I also like the cast of characters. They support the three MCs and have their own voices. Plus, the first-person POV filters them, so that they don’t steal the spotlight.

For once, there isn’t really any flaw worth of a mention—yay!—but rather, a personal preference. I’m not that wild about the flashbacks, as I believe that incursions in the past should be woven into the text rather than have entire chapters dedicated to them. It’s too easy, you know? As I said, tho, this is a mere personal preference so take it with a grain of salt.

4.5 stars on GR.
This was not the first Portia MacIntosh book that I have read and it definitely won’t be the last!

This book was full of larger than life characters and was a whole lot of fun, with a few serious heartwarming and heartbreaking moments thrown in. In my eyes, just what I expect with a romantic comedy and perfect to escape with while snuggled up with a nice cuppa in this dreary weather.
A fun, mostly light-hearted, rom-com. When Poppy finds out from her dad that her divorce has not been finalised and her husband is about to remarry, she sets of for the Highlands of Scotland to confront him. She takes her new bff Kat, who she just recently met at the singles table of a friend's wedding, along for the ride.  Kat was my favourite character in the book - she's brash and bolshy and game for a laugh!

I'm not really one for trigger warnings but I do feel I should mention that this book discusses the aftermath of miscarriage. The author does a brilliant job of describing how the loss of a baby can leave someone feeling and I found myself nodding along in agreement with how the main character Poppy felt.

I did feel the conclusion was kinda rushed - the final chapter fast forwards several years. Overall it was a fun, if somewhat predictable, story of second-chance romance / reconnecting with a first love which also has a strong message about good friends being there for you when you need them most.

Many thanks to the publishers @bookandtonic for providing me with a copy of the book via @Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a free ARC of this book. I have chosen to write this review voluntarily.
This is the first book I have read by this author and I enjoyed it very much. It is a romcom with a few twists which made It an engaging read. The characters of Zac and Polly are realistic, and I thought the behaviour of Polly's friends was completely believable, shutting her out of their social circle because they were married couples and she was a single divorcee. I loved the character of madcap Kat, and there were many comical moments throughout the book.
I am signing up to follow Portia and look forward to reading more of her books.
[Actual Rating 4.25] I am always excited to read a new Portia Macintosh novel as they are easy reads while still having depth and enjoyment within the pages. No Ex Before Marriage is another excellent novel that was a heartfelt exploration of romances and friendships. The story follows 30-years-old Poppy, who was the first in her core group of friends to get married when she was in her twenties. Now that her friends, Sally and Lindsey are married, it is time for the remaining friend, Rachael; however, all of them will not be married at the same time as Poppy is now divorced. Poppy’s journey in the novel begins as she is attending Rachael’s wedding.

When Poppy arrives at the reception, Rachel informs her that she is placed at the singles table and not at the head table because she no longer has a plus one. This was a great introduction to the friend group, as I really did not like them throughout the entire story, although some readers may not mind them as much. The best thing that comes out of Poppy’s new seat assignment is that she meets Kat, who initially appeared as the super outgoing personality type, but gained a lot of depth as the story moved forward. Kat and Poppy bond at the wedding and end up becoming friends. Kat even agrees to accompany Poppy when she discovers that she is still married and her divorce was never finalized. Her “ex-“husband Zac is actually getting married soon in Scotland, so Poppy and Kat head there to “crash” the wedding and have Zac sign the papers so he can legally marry his new fiancé.

At the Scottish castle, which is Zac’s wedding location, Poppy and Zac reconnect and it was bittersweet as there is a lot in their past that still weighs heavily on their minds. Initially, the reader is in the dark about their relationship, but eventually, there are flashbacks chapters that weave together their story. Initially, I was not a fan of Zac, as he did not disclose his previous marriage to his fiancé, which just seems like a red flag. He may not have been my favorite character (that title remains with Poppy and Kat for a tie), but he did grow on me by the end. Throughout the story, Poppy begins to reevaluate her life to see how she wants to proceed in the future. There are many ups and downs with a nice central theme of the importance of communication. Overall, this was a very entertaining escape read and I cannot wait to read more from the author!

**I give a special thank you to Rachel @rararesources, the publisher, Boldwood Books, and the author for the opportunity to participate with this enjoyable novel. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.**
Portia Macintosh book are such great reads.

Fun characters, lots of laughter and heartwarming moments and great dialogue.

Poppy is reaching a crossroads in her life  as the last of her best friends gets married she is already divorced  while everyone isncoupled up and settled down she is single and starting over. She no longer feels like she fits in as she gets relegated to the singles’ table at weddings.

But she teams upwith fellow singleton, Kat, who is out to enjoy life. Skipping out of the wedding and heading to a New Year’s Eve party instead, Poppy meets gorgeous Fred and things might just be going her way.

And then her dad calls with the news that her divorce paperwork was never finished. Legally she is still married. Her ex-husband, Zac, is about to remarry and Poppy has no choice but to head up to the wedding.

Old feelings are rekindled, misunderstandings happen and there’s lots of fun to be had along the way.

This is such a fun read with a great characters. I loved Poppy and Kat’s growing friendship. Theres a great balance of heartwarming fun and really poignant moments and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Reading this book was like having a good girly gossip with a friend. It had so much I loved going on, a great storyline, powerful female friendships and a twist on the traditional romance story. The author had such a raw, honest and authentic voice when it came to discussing the life of a thirty-something woman. It had such a sense of realism; I could imagine Poppy’s story happening to a friend.
The book had me laughing out loud, or sympathising with Poppy, or even on the verge of tears for her at times. Overall, the book struck a good balance between working well as a rom-com and dealing with real life issues.
Whilst the romance was at the heart of the story, for me the whole book was about Poppy’s journey as a woman getting closure on one part of her life and moving onto the next. That was where the writing really shone. A rollercoaster of emotions that didn’t disappoint. With thanks to Boldwood Books, Rachel’s Random Resources and NetGalley for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
✨BLOG TOUR REVIEW✨ No Ex Before Marriage by Portia MacIntosh.

*AD/Gifted ARC in exchange for an honest review*

Thank you to @rachelsrandomresources @netgalley @bookandtonic

If you’ve followed me for a while, you’ll know I adore Portia’s work, and this is no exception!

My favourite scene of this book is the Whisky tasting scene. It reminds me of when me and my bestie Miranda drove 6 hours to the bottom tip of Western Australia to taste whisky for a uni project. Did we need to? No. Do we like whisky? Also, no. But it was a fab weekend regardless!

Poppy was a fantastic female lead and Zac was simply wonderful. I was really rooting for them. I don’t want to say too much and ruin the plot, but there is such an important message in this book which I thought finished the story perfectly
5☆ Highly Compelling, Entertaining and Plenty of Laugh out loud moments.

If I could give this book more ☆s
I would!
I absolutely loved reading No Ex Before Marriage! I don't think I've come across a story quiet like it before!
I'm a huge fan of Portia's books and I think this one could be my favourite!
I could see this being made into a film it was so good.

I'm not going to go into the plot as I don't want to risk giving any secrets away. This is a book you need to uncover for yourselves!

I really liked going from past to present with Poppy and Zac's relationship it was so Heartwarming to see how their love blossomed at such a young age, to their heartbreak that led to their breakup.
I was routing for them the whole way through!

I also loved Poppy and Kat's friendship, Kat certainly bought out the wild side in Poppy and it was a joy to see especially her secret service job lol

There's some juicy Twists, plenty of Laugh out Loud moments & giggles, a stunning location, potential Romances, Crazy Antics, Sabotage,
New Friendships and some Quirky Characters which were a lil like marmite some I loved and some I definitely disliked lol

But one thing is for certain once you start reading No Ex Before Marriage you won't want to put it down!
Portia has written another absolute gem!
I loved Poppy! She was hysterical! I found myself literally laughing out loud several times over the course of No Ex Before Marriage, so that's pretty high praise coming from me! It was a witty, sexy, and very entertaining read!
“Once upon a time I had real love. Is it really worth getting married for less?”

Wow this was a really good read from Portia MacIntosh!

Poppy married her childhood sweetheart, Zac, however things didn’t work out and to her regret she finds herself divorced at the age of 30. All her friends are settled down and married and suddenly all social events with them are now done in couples and Poppy feels more left out than ever. Then suddenly Poppy’s father makes a discovery when doing some tidying up in Poppy’s late mother’s office…. Poppy isn’t actually divorced! Straight after that bombshell another one is dropped….. that Zac is due to get married….. but of course he is still married to Poppy! Cue a rush to Zac’s wedding location with a new (and a little crazy) friend, Kat. Will Poppy get there in time and get all the paperwork signed so Zac doesn’t unwittingly commit bigamy? You’ll have to read to find out!

I really enjoyed reading this story, I have to admit I did feel things were a little slow at the start until we met Zac but once we did, the story just flew. I thought Poppy’s friends were horrific to her at the beginning, but I did change my mind about them later on! I absolutely adored the throw back chapters as they helped the story massively and I loved how they showed how Zac and Poppy got together.

I also wanted to highlight how well written Poppy’s experience was. I don’t want to say too much as I don’t want to give any spoilers but having been through the experience myself, I thought the author absolutely nailed it.

All in all, I definitely recommend this book to any rom-com fans, it was a great little escape from reality. I’m also really glad I discovered Portia MacIntosh and already have got another one of her books on my tbr list.

Thank you to Netgalley, Portia MacIntosh and Boldwood Books for my advanced reading copy. Due out 11th January 2022.