Cover Image: Find the Girl (Detective Morgan Brookes Book 5)

Find the Girl (Detective Morgan Brookes Book 5)

Thank you to Bookouture for my ARC in exchange for an honest unbiased review.

I have been a fan of the Morgan Brookes series. This book is the fifth in this exciting series and it takes an interesting turn in two aspects. A great cast of characters which are both likeable and unsavoury. The attraction between Morgan and Ben has simmered over the course of the series. The plot was really good, and the ending was a surprise, and very well done.  It was a fast and enjoyable read, as the action was non-stop.  Suspense built throughout. The pace is fast in this thrilling read that had several twists. As always, Morgan gets herself in sticky situations, and finds herself in a life or death fight. I really enjoy the series and this episode is the best one yet. Recommended for fans who love crime thrillers that are fast paced and chilling.
WoW........Find the Girl by Helen Phifer is the fifth book in Detective Morgan Brookes series and this book did not disappoint. It was brilliant from start to finish especially as it had great twists and turns throughout that will just have you hooked!

Helen's books are just a fantastic enjoyable read and I highly recommend all her books. Great for a holiday read especially if you have a long flight! They will keep you awake!

Big Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture the publisher for my ARC in exchange for an honest unbiased review
It's my pleasure to share my thoughts on Find The Girl, as part of the book tour hosted by Bookouture. Thank you for my spot on the tour and for the advance copy in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.

𝗠𝘆 𝗥𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗲𝘄

Detective Constable Morgan Brooks is called to the Camp site as a precaution because Sara Fletcher’s tent looks suspicious. The large tear at the back, the blood on the eye mask, and most importantly, she’s missing. After calling it in, the search dog makes a macabre discovery in the woods.

I started reading without the knowledge that this was book five in the Morgan Brooks series. I didn’t I feel I had missed anything, except maybe a little context and character development, but it left me eager to catch up on Morgan’s previous investigations.

I genuinely liked this book. I was hooked before even the prologue was finished. This style of writing lends itself perfectly to suspenseful thrillers like this. The author’s use of description made it very easy to visualise the scenes, and the beautiful Cumbrian landscape, which made the story flow as seamlessly as a well edited television drama.

Overall, I think this might be my favourite book of the month so far, and cannot recommend it enough to all readers of crime thrillers and police procedurals. I gave Find The Girl, by Helen Phifer, five stars.
When a camper disappears leaving behind blood, Detective Morgan Brookes is called to the scene. Why was this woman camping by herself, and why did the camp employee put her at a spot far from the other campsites? Morgan senses that this perpetrator has done this before and digs into the cold case files. When she finds a pattern confirmed by a retired cop, Megan and team start tracking the murderer. There are a few possible suspects, but discerning who is guilty is not easy, but this is what Morgan does best. Will she figure out the mystery in time to save a life?
Oh how I loved this book. Was racing to finish as it was so heart poundingly thrilling and yet was bereft when it ended. Love this author. She absolutely delivers with each and every book and this one was just outstanding.
I read a lot of thrillers, and recently I've been let down by a lot of them. Find the Girl had the perfect combination of vivid characters and scenery, a fast paced plot, and a surprise ending. I haven't read the previous books in the series and it read fine as a standalone. I definitely want to catch up on the series though! I recommend this to anyone looking for a face paced thriller.
DC Morgan Brookes is back in this fifth instalment from Helen Phifer. Morgan is called to the scene when a woman, Sara Fletcher disappears from Forest Pines campsite. Is this linked to similar incidents from previous years where victims were being taken by a person nicknamed the Travelling Man by the police?

This enthralling thriller moves at a rapid pace and has unpredictable misdirection and plenty of danger. It is told from various points of view and both the investigation and Morgan’s personal life are intriguing plot threads. Set in Cumbria, England, the reader is treated to a fully rounded tale in the present day but also with references to events from the past. The "maybe" relationship between Morgan and Ben Matthews, her sergeant continues to be of interest and there is plenty of drama, tension and suspense throughout. Many police procedural elements are incorporated ensuring I remained entrenched in the story. Find the Girl is a must for fans of realistic procedurals and Helen Phifer's superb and explosive writing continues to wow me. It will be interesting to see what's in store for DC Brookes in the next instalment.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Bookouture via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Detective Morgan Brookes! Why do you always make me have my heart in my mouth!

This is the fifth book in the Detective Morgan Brookes series but all books can be read as a standalone. Morgan is still quite a rookie detective but given what she has been through previously she has learnt a lot very quickly. I really like Morgan because she is honest and determined. She never gives up and isn’t afraid to put herself in danger if necessary.

I am very glad that I do not like camping, especially on my own because if not I would be seriously freaked out after reading this book. Helen as always was not afraid to put in all the gory details. Helen makes it so very easy to picture the characters and the setting with her vivid and detailed descriptions.

This book is very fast paced. It’s full of tension and heartbreak. There were a few scenes where I could feel the horror leaping off the page. There are some real heartbreaking scenes too. Helen really knows how to gut you!

This series is excellent. Each book I think Helen can’t top it but then the next one comes and she does. I absolutely loved this book from start to finish. Thank you to Bookouture for letting me take part in this tour and for my copy of this book via Netgalley.
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'Find The Girl' by Helen Phifer.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Helen Phifer, Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 19th January 2021.

This is the sixth book I have read by this author. It is also the fifth book in the 'Detective Morgan Brookes' series but can be read as a standalone. I have previously read 'First Girl To Die' (book 4 in this series), 'The Hiding Place' (book 3 in this series) , 'The Girl In The Lake' (book 2 in the 'Beth Adams series),' The Killer's Girl' (book 2 in this series) or 'One Left Alive' (the first book in this series) which I also recommend anyone read.

I was originally drawn to this book by its  eye catching cover and its intriguing synopsis and title. The synopsis stated that this book is 'An absolutely heart-stopping and unputdownable crime thriller, perfect for fans of Angela Marsons, Lisa Regan and Rachel Abbott.' I am a huge fan of all three of this authors so am looking forward to seeing if this lives up to this statement. I am also a huge fan of Helen and if this is half as good as' First Girl To Die' (book 4 in this series), 'The Hiding Place' (book 3 in this series) , 'The Girl In The Lake' (book 2 in the 'Beth Adams series),' The Killer's Girl' (book 2 in this series) or 'One Left Alive' (the first book in this series) it is sure to be a page turning read. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of a prologue and 48 chapters. The chapters medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is based in Cumbria, UK 🇬🇧 The bonus for me of books that are partly or fully based in the UK is that I live in the UK and have sometimes visited places mentioned in the book which makes it easier to picture. I have actually been on holidays to Cumbria so it will help me picture everything.

This book is written in third person perspective with the main protagonists being Detective Constable Morgan Brooks, Detective Sergeant Ben Matthews and Detective Constable Amy Smith. The benefits of third person perspective with multiple perspectives are that it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters more, what they are thinking and what they are doing. It feels like you get to see the whole picture and not miss out in anything.

Wow!!! Just Wow!!! I did not see that one coming!!! Yet another absolutely unputdownable page turning book from the extremely talented Helen Phifer!!! Fantastically written and such an addictive and compelling read. Excellent descriptions making it so easy to imagine what's going on. The book cover and synopsis suit the storyline perfectly.

The storyline is an absolute roller-coaster ride filled with suspense, crime, drama, red herrings and is a very good psychological thriller that kept me up until late at night. There is also some heartbreak over a certain character and what happened to them. I won't say more as not to soil it for future readers. Did not see that one coming at all so well done Helen. It gets harder and harder to surprise me when it comes to crime books after reading so many yet that was a shocker. I loved the twist and just loved watching it all unfold. The storyline itself was very realistic and I would say that Helen has done quite alot of research in regards to procedure plus more which shines through when your reading. I loved how the book ended especially the what I've been waiting for moment me and am looking forward to see how the next one plays out. I won't say more than that as not to spoil it for others but fingers crossed something will FINALLY happen with certain characters.'. I thought what happened during a certain part between two characters at the end was very emotional but I think it was the perfect ending to something. .. OK I know that won't make sense if you haven't read the book but once you have, especially if you have read others, you will know what I mean. Congratulations Helen on what I would describe as a perfect and befitting way for him. Your books keep getting better and better which is incredible as I have loved each and every one of them. As always, looking forward to the next installment in this epic series!!

Although this is the fifth book in the series I had absolutely no problems reading it without the others. Any details or events that have previously happened are mentioned in just the right amount of detail to let a new reader know what has happened and yet not too much to bore a previous reader.

I loved meeting all the characters again. They have definitely become like friends to me over these books and it's always sad to say goodbye to them. The characters are all very strong and the fact that Morgan and Amy are such strong females was definitely a bonus with me being female myself. I love Amy and Morgan and her relationship with Ben and would love to read more about her as always. I'd love to read more about Ben, Morgan and a few others actually. I am looking forward to see what becomes of the relationship between Ben and Morgan also and I liked the way they had quite similar histories. More so after what happened at the end of this book. I also enjoyed the progression of friendship between Morgan and Cain who I really liked and enjoyed getting to know more in this book. I had fun watching the sarcasm and snipes between Amy, Morgan and Detective Des and enjoyed getting to know him a bit more in this book too. I absolutely LOVE Amy with her sarcastic say it as it is, larger than life personality and I loved meeting her again. Declan the pathologist is another big character for me and I really love his funny yet caring and compassionate personality and always look forward to seeing him. I love him more and more with each epic, suspense filled addictive page turning novel in this series!!

Well done on yet another massive success Helen and here is to the next success in an amazing series 🥂 🎈 💐. This is EXACTLY why your one of my favourite authors!!!! 😍

Overall another action packed, page turning, gripping, suspense filled edge of your seat must read by the legend that is Helen Phifer!!

Genres covered in this novel include Romance Novel, Thriller, Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Hardboiled, Noir Fiction, Psychological Fiction, Police Procedural and Crime Fiction amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Angela Marsons, Carol Wyer, CL Taylor, Tess Gerritson and anyone looking for an epic read.

305 pages.

This book is just £1.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5 /5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#FindTheGirl #Bookouture  #HelenPhifer #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@HelenPhifer @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

Well if sleeping on lumpy ground and communal shower blocks aren’t enough to put you off camping then this book certainly is. This is as tense as a wire about to snap and my god I think I held my breath for so many pages I pretty much turned purple at one point.

The usual gang are back to solve another case, this time the abduction of a woman from her tent. The whole case is thrown into chaos when the dog tracking her stumbles across old skeletal remains. Are they connected? Possible first victim? With a retired DI offering information and calling him The Travelling Man is it possible that it is Morgan’s biological father, still on the run and out for revenge?

Every book I read in this series becomes my new favourite. The chemistry between Morgan and Ben sizzling away and the will they won’t they is right up there with Ross and Rachel on Friends. Morgan is still being followed by her constant companions Death and Disaster and infuriatingly seems to always volunteer for putting herself in harms way.

With a new character Chief Super Melanie being brought in (definite coincidence but I’m loving it anyway) my reading enjoyment was taken to a whole new level. There is something quite special about seeing your name in print, even if it is coincidental.

What sets apart this series apart is no matter how brutal the crimes, they are always treated so carefully and with the upmost respect and determination. So if I ever find myself a victim on a mortuary slab then Declan, Morgan and Ben are who I want.
Sara enjoys camping by herself. As a break she goes to the Lake District. She plans to meet up with an old friend for lunch. When she doesn't turn up her friend contacts the police as this is totally out of character. When Morgan Brookes & Ben Matthews arrive at the campsite they find, in the outer edges of the site, an empty tent with a hole ripped out of the back & blood- it does not look like Sara left willingly! In searching the nearby woods a body is found- it isn't Sara & has been there some time. The police have little to go on but a retired officer from South gets in touch with information of a killer he calls the Travelling Man. Ben is unsure about this but Morgan- always one to follow her instincts thinks he might. Before long she is busy getting herself in harms way!

This is now the fifth in the series & I eagerly await each one. Morgan is one of my favourite cops & I love this series. The book was well up to standard! Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
Find the Girl by Helen Phifer is the 5th in the Detective Morgan Brookes series.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Series Information: (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books)
Morgan Brookes is living her dream.  She is a Detective Constable for Rydal Falls.  She works under the direction of DS Ben Matthews.  Other members of the team include, DC Amy Smith and DC Des Black.  Their boss is DCI Tom Fell, and their go-to Forensic Pathologist is Declan Donnelly. After losing her mother,  Morgan finally got to know her dad, but Stan is now dead.  Meanwhile, she has learned that her biological father is a rapist and a killer, and has now escaped from prison.

My Synopsis:   (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)0
When Sara Fletcher doesn't meet her friend for lunch, she is reported missing.  She had been camping at Forest Pines, but hasn't been seen since her arrival at the site yesterday.

Morgan and Cain discover a large rip in her tent, and fear the worst.  Then they find the skeletal remains of another woman.  Sara is still nowhere to be found.  Retired DCI Brian Walter offers them assistance, as he feels that there may be a serial killer on the loose, someone who has been taking campers from their tents for many years.  Brian calls him The Travelling Man.

Meanwhile, Morgan frets that it may be Gary Marks that is targeting these women, as she thinks she has spotted him in the area, but it isn't really his MO.  What are the chances there would be two serial killers in the small town of Rydal Falls?

My Opinions:
Probably the best in the series, but I have honestly enjoyed them all.

Although I am not a romance reader, I am starting to like the relationship between Morgan and Ben, as it has been slow in building, and started as a friendship.  Actually, all the characters are quite well developed, and likable (although Des doesn't seem to fit).  There seems to be a new Chief Superintendent, but we didn't even learn Mel's last name.... Morgan can sometimes be a little impulsive, but her dedication is admirable, and there is quite a bit of ribbing between team members, which makes the dialogue enjoyable.

The plot was really good, and the ending was a surprise, and very well done.  It was a fast and enjoyable read, as the action was non-stop.  Suspense built throughout.

I really have to find time to read the Lucy Harwin series by this author.
In this 5th book in the Detective Morgan Brookes series, we find Morgan, Ben, Amy and Des investigating a missing girl taken by a possible serial killer. Sara Fletcher disappears from her tent at the Forest Pines campsite. The back of her tent has been sliced open, there is blood in her tent and on her eye mast, and it looks like drag marks going from her tent into the forest. As a search dog is following her trail, he comes upon a skeleton found hidden under some branches and leaves. Was this a coincidence, an accident or were they led by there on purpose. Ben gets a call from a retired detective that says he has information for them and that this is not his first victim. He drives down with all his information and it appears they have a serial killer on their hands. Can they find Sara before he slashes her throat like the other victims?

This was a very intense story with a race against the clock. It appears the past victims were kept for 72 hours before being killed, so they need to work fast. With Amy doing her magic on the computer, Ben using his questioning and social skills and Morgan using her skills of deduction and reasoning, they search and get closer, but not close enough. Throw in the fact that Morgan's biological father, Gary Marks, has escaped from prison and Morgan thinks she has seen him, there is suspicion that he could be the culprit. The characters, even the secondary ones, are well developed and there are several suspects. The pace is fast in this thrilling read that had several twists. As always, Morgan gets herself in sticky situations, and finds herself in a life or death fight. This is a great series and I think this is the best one yet. I definitely recommend this book and series to those who enjoy a good crime/mystery and police procedural.
Find the girl by Helen Phifer.
Detective Morgan Brookes book 5.
The tent door flutters in the warm breeze, opening towards the silent woods beyond. A silk eye mask lies on top of the empty sleeping bag, blood-red spots ruining the cream fabric…
When a woman disappears from Forest Pines campsite, Detective Morgan Brookes scrambles a search party. Sara Fletcher has never missed a lunch date with her best friend and when Morgan finds a large rip in Sara’s tent, she knows that something terrible must have happened. About to lose hope after hours combing through the acres of dense forest, the excited bark of a tracker dog leads Morgan to female remains, partially covered by leaves and dirt – but the bones don’t belong to Sara. Morgan trawls through missing persons files until she finds three cold cases with chilling similarities – three other victims dating back twenty years who were taken from campsites while they slept, by a killer the police called the Travelling Man. The post-mortems indicate he kept them alive for 72 hours, meaning every second is crucial to find Sara alive. Morgan’s team is terrified that this twisted murderer has returned. But Morgan also can’t ignore the fact that a merciless killer from her own past has recently escaped from prison… Could they be chasing the wrong man? If she’s correct, how deep will she have to dig to save Sara and other innocent women like her before time runs out for them all?
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  I love this series.  Great story and characters.  I love Morgan’s character. I do hope there is more to come.  5*.
I’d like to thank Bookouture and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘Find The Girl’, the fifth in the Detective Morgan Brookes series written by Helen Phifer, in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

After setting up her tent at the Forest Pines Campsite in Whinlatter Forest, Sara Fletcher goes missing with her tent ripped open and blood on her sleeping bag.  As the search for Sara intensifies the remains of a female’s body are found, but it isn’t Sara.  Can the killer they call ‘The Travelling Man’ and who keeps his victims alive for seventy-two hours before disposing of them be identified before he ends Sara’s life?

‘Find The Girl’ is a fast-paced exciting police thriller that encompasses action, intrigue, suspense and twists and turns as DC Morgan Brookes, DS Ben Matthews and the team focus their attentions from one possible suspect to another.  I like the character of Morgan who often acts without thinking of the consequences by putting her own wellbeing at risk, much to Ben’s chagrin as their relationship grows more meaningful.  This is a well-written and totally absorbing thriller set in the beautiful Lake District that has an exciting and breathtakingly shocking conclusion.  I can’t wait for book number six.
And we're back with super cop Morgan Brookes. Book 5 in the series and the best one yet.

The plot was tense with great twists to keep you guessing right til the end. I would never have guessed who it was.

I love the strong female characters in these books and we definitely need more Amy.

I look forward to the next book.
A young woman is missing. Sara was camping when she was abducted from her tent and wrapped up in the back of a van. Her friend reported her missing and during the search of the camp site, they don’t find Sara but find the skeletal remains of another woman. Detective Morgan Brookes is called to the site where evidence leads them to believe they are looking for a man known as the Travelling Man. Morgan fears that her biological father, who is a known rapist and murderer, may be involved. He has been on the run since his escape from prison. When an elderly woman is found beaten to death, could this also be the work of the Travelling Man? Time is running out to find Sara as the killer only keeps his victims alive for seventy-two hours before killing them and depositing their bodies in the woods. When Morgan gets too close to the killer, will she end up in the back of his van? Intriguing ending to this one. I received an advance review copy at no cost and without obligation for an honest review. (by paytonpuppy)
This made me rethink going camping!
I have to start out by saying I have not had the pleasure of reading the previous books in the Detective Morgan series.  I did not realize this was book 5 in a series when I requested it.  With that said, I do wish I would have had more of the backstory to this series.  But, I do have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Find the Girl and had no issue reading is as a standalone.  I will definitely pick up the previous books as I feel the need to know more about the beginning of Detective Morgan.
This was intriguing and engaging story.  The authors writing style is easy to follow and flows well.  So many twists and turns throughout the story!  I was on the edge of my seat from the first page to the last page.  I read way late into the night because I just had to know the ending.  And, what a ending it is.
Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own.
Find the Girl is a crime thriller and Book 5 in the Detective Morgan Brookes series, though I hadn’t read any of the previous books and it works perfectly well as a standalone.
The story starts back in time, when a twenty-year-old girl gets murdered at Forest Pines campsite. Then we fast forward to the present day when a woman goes missing from the same campsite and the police become involved in the missing person’s case. I really don’t want to give too much away, because it’s a book you want to follow as it all reveals itself.
The story gripped me from the start. At bedtime, I was tired and thought I’d just read a few pages on the Kindle. By the time I went to sleep, I’d read 31% of it and could happily have read more, if my eyes hadn’t started closing! It’s a really exciting, well-paced read which draws you into the action straight away.
Detective Constable Morgan Brookes is the main character and she is excellent, a real police officer with a heart, but every person in the story is well-described and comes to life off the pages. I loved the police team and also Brian.
This is only a short review because I don’t want to give any spoilers, but I absolutely loved the book, it’s a real page-turner and I look forward to reading more of her books.
9.5 out of 10
This is such an amazing addition to a wonderful series. This book was one I just couldn’t put down. So well written, and you won’t be able to get enough.