Cover Image: Fine

Fine

Brilliantly insightful, wonderful book.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for letting me access an advance copy of this book in excahnge for my feedback.
Thought this was cute and a good representation on gender diverse people but the pacing was a little off for me and there was a lot happening
There are going to be more well-written reviews than mine for this book, but if I can impress on anyone reading this review that you need to read this, I'll have done something good. Gender is such a tricky, wriggly subject, and this book helps the reader process all that trickiness into something more easily understandable. This project started after the author got asked what their pronouns were for the first time, leading them to get really interested in what gender was. Ewing interviewed dozens of people, including both trans and cis gendered folks, to get a variety of perspectives on the subject, and the results are presented here in a thoughtful, sensitive way that is non-judgemental, straightforward, and easy to understand (*mostly* easy, gender's still tricky). I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone and everyone - it will make you think about what gender is (and isn't), and help you to understand the perspectives of others who might not have the same ideas about it as you do.

#Fine #NetGalley
This is book was a great little read, the illustrations were gorgeous  and we love a good Graphic Novel! We definitely have it on our list to stock in our store!
This graphic novel is a journey.  The author does an impressive job of taking a complicated topic like identity and making it so approachable for the reader.  I went on the journey with the author.  Such a vulnerable and brave act to take on.  The author uses the interview format extremely well to tell the story of identity.  There are quite a few characters but it is the thread of identity throughout that really sells the book.  You are able to see yourself and your own insecurities in each character.  This graphic novel does not shy away from difficult topics that occur in the LGBTQA+ community.  Excellent read.
A really interesting graphic collection of interviews. It is so interesting to see what gender means to so many people. This also really shows some of the wide differences in the experiences of trans people. This is a great opportunity for anyone to learn more about gender in general.
Informative and smart, I liked the interviews aspect, it’s great to hear from different people living different situations around the same topic.
In this graphic memoir and collection of interviews, the artist shows many perspectives surrounding gender, including their own journey to discovering and embracing their own identity.

This was an impactful and informative read! I appreciate having a variety of perspectives in the interviewees, and how everything was structured. We cover topics and revisit moments from interviews in a way that resembled a documentary.

As it continues, we see the evolution of what was a much smaller project become more diverse and inclusive.

Sprinkled throughout the interviews, we see Rhea’s journey of self, which gave everything more depth. It was a deeply personal journey, and gave the book and continuing narrative as we cycle through the perspectives of others. It was very well executed, and a read that everyone should spend time with.

I also enjoyed the art style! Overall, this was a great breakdown of gender and should be on everyone’s reading list.
Incredible and comprehensive overview of  gender that is perfect for older teens curious about learning about themselves. First purchase for our library.
This is an absolutely stunning graphic novel. This work of memoir follows author Rhea Ewing as they explore gender, sexuality, and identity throughout the years by a series of interviews posed to individuals they meet. The reader is able to follow along Ewings' own gender journey and it is a beautiful, deeply personal experience that I feel honored to have experienced it. Not only is the art itself beautiful, but so is the content and representation of the full spectrum of LGBTQIA+ identities. I cannot wait to see what else Rhea Ewing publishes.

**I received an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Big thanks to NetGalley and the publisher!
This was an absolutely fantastic book interweaving the 50+ interviews the author conducted over a span of quite a few years. The book is organized by topic and tells the own author's story and relationship with gender identity, alongside the stories told by the people they interview. The book covers a broad spectrum of identities and peoples' experiences with gender and the other facets of their identity. It asks some of the most basic questions we can have about the topic - how do you define gender/femininity/masculinity? - and shows how different the answers to these questions are person to person.

This book is provides a vital puzzle piece in the broader conversations we are having about gender identity, expression, roles, etc. and I would highly recommend this book to anyone that wants a peek into that conversation happening or has questions about themselves. This book is a really great primer on a lot of different topics from gender to race to sexuality to class, and while this book covers a lot, it's not going to be super in-depth - and it's not. It's a great starting off point for further reading and is invaluable for its variety of perspectives.

Thank you so much to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me an e-ARC of this book!
I read this book through an eARC on NetGalley. Fine is a great collection of stories Ewing collected and illustrated about gender. The varied people represented give a look into how different gender varies. Highly recommend if you are interested in the topic.
Ewing explores gender through multiple interviews with people who identify many different ways. I enjoyed the art and the author's reflections. Recommended for collections with a need for LGBTQ titles.
Wow this book was fabulous. And critically important. I so appreciate the thoroughness of Rhea's interviews and the as-complete-as-possible discussions about gender and identity that this book depicts. This is a fantastic resource for those questioning their own identities as well as those looking to learn and support those members of their communities. Will be handing this to anyone I can.
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. Author of this graphic novel toys with the theme of what gender is. Well written, with several different perspectives and interviews.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review!
I loved this book.  As a Trans person I didn’t think I’d get much from it but wow was I wrong! I felt so connected to the 56 people interviewed in this book, being able to hear about other peoples experiences and what gender means to them was so interesting. However, I did of course relate to a LOT of the content in it. My favourite part was the section where Rhea gave tips on how to familiarise yourself with someone’s pronouns! As someone who still gets misgendered family, I feel like this could be so helpful! A lot of this book was very vulnerable and personal to Rhea and everyone else involved which I appreciated. I found it easier to read it bit by bit, usually I finish books in one go so this was a very different experience and I enjoyed it a lot !! It was very informative whilst still being easy to read and understand , this would be great for anyone looking to deepen their understanding on gender.
“ This book is dedicated to everyone who wonders if they are enough. You are enough.”
I’ve struggled with my gender identity a lot through life (and I still do!) Seeing people who feel the same as me and have the same experiences  was so validating, I definitely shed a few tears at things that hit close to home. Reading this book was a wonderful experience. I feel like everyone should read this. Even people who have no struggles with gender or anything similar, everyone can learn something from this book and its also just incredibly interesting to read!
I got an ARC of this book.

I was really excited. I love graphic novels. I love gender and talking about gender. This was going to be the perfect book for me. I could just tell.

The issue is, I was bored. So incredibly bored the whole time. I would  have to force myself to read even a page at a time. The only book I can compare it to is the book about working out by Bechdel. Both had the same tone, the same level of excitement from me.

It might be the book that has the most interviews about gender in it that I have read though. So it isn't completely without merit. There may be lines or ideas that really resonate with people trying to figure out their gender. It was just not for me.
This book follows the author, Rhea Ewing as they collect interviews from people in their Midwest town. The book discusses gender and trying to find yourself through that. Overall, I thought that this book was fantastic and would be a great addition to any library - personal or public. This would be a great tool for parents, teachers, and kids to read. I think that a lot of people would better understand gender after reading a book like this.
I loved this book so much. Rhea Ewing's vulnerable and honest discussion of their own gender and questioning process paired with the extensive interviews they conducted made for an enlightening read that many people will undoubtedly benefit from.

Ewing shows a range of experiences, identities, and stages of gender exploration. They show that gender is complex, nuanced, and based on many factors.

As a nonbinary person, I thought that I might not learn anything from this book but I was pleasantly surprised by the range of individual experiences that were depicted and the insightful analysis.

I really appreciated Ewing's self awareness in pointing out that they are not a professionally trained researcher and that there were important gaps in their knowledge going into this process.
Beautiful illustrations and conversations about gender. Diverse set of characters and experiences depicted in a fresh way. Learned so much from this one. Highly recommend!!