Cover Image: The Polish Girl

The Polish Girl

A complicated family’s life during WWII.  I found it to be very emotional.
Many thanks to HarperCollins UK and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
I gravitate to historical fictions that tell a story of the horror at the hands of the Nazi’s. This one was a littler difficult for me to read, so much so that I put it down and picked it up. I was having issues connecting with this book. I did finally finish it and I am glad that I did.
I had a bit of a hard time finishing this book. I love the time period and I love historical fiction, but this one was a bit confusing. I'm just not sure I can follow the idea of the Mother wanting a first born son, instead of her daughter Danusha. Seems to me the story was better suited to reading how the family evaded the Nazi's and the bravery of the Mother, Anna.
Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Collins UK One More Chapter for the arc of The Polish Girl by Malker Adler,

5 star read- It follows Winter in the year 1939- Follows Danusha and her family whom are forced to leave their home due to the Nazi;s when they invade poland - her mother ends up changing her name and getting a job as a housekeeper in a GERMAN DOCTORS MANSION,, where the Gestapo hold their meetings upon the kitchen in the mansion..... more follows.. definitely recommend this heart wrenching emotional book, such a page turner so emotional but so well written
I cannot offer a review for this book as I found it extremely difficult to read and didn’t finish reading it. However I would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read.
The story is about Danusha growing up as she moves about the country with her brother Yashu and their mother Anna trying to conceal their Jewish heritage.  At one point Anna finds a job as a housekeeper for a German doctor where Gestappo meetings are held.!
I have to be honest and say I found this book confusing at times as it will be telling the story through Danusha then it will be through her mother reciting it to her friends.
The Polish Girl by by Malka Adler was a story that I could just not get through. While I read over sixty percent of the novel, the writing was choppy, the dialogue was sparse and repetitive and there was only one character for whom I felt empathy.  While the premise of the story is a true and sad one, the story just did not resonate with me. Perhaps it wasn’t the story that didn’t resonate with me but how the story was told.   I have read a ton of novels set during WWII and I invariably came away learning and feeling something.  I had previously read Malka Adler’s Brothers of Auschwitz and came away feeling very different.

As an advanced reader I always complete the books I am asked to review.  There are a few rare times when I just couldn’t finish no matter how hard I tried.  I like to give the author the respect they deserve for writing the novel.  Unfortunately, I gave up on this.

I would like to thank the author, One More Chapter Publishers and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
An interesting historical novel well written with great characters. The story follows Danusha and her family who are Jews, fleeing the Nazis. Great pacing and tension.
Refreshing to have a WW2 novel set in Poland as opposed to Germany or France.
Can definitely recommend it.
The Polish girl is a heartbreaking World War II novel about a girl Danusha and her mother Anna.  All Danusha wants is a mom who will love and protect her from the Nazis. All Anna wants is a first born son.. Their lack of communication leads to heartbreak on each side. War pulls them further apart.
This story is told brilliantly by the author. I felt all the emotion of Danusha's character. The author sets the scene incredibly well and the reader never lacks details. Although heartbreaking,  this novel also puts the heart back together.
Sorry to say I just could not finish this one. The writing style was very disjointed and hard to read.
Just wasn’t something I wanted to pick up and try to make my way through anymore.

Thanks to Net Galley and One More Chapter  for the advanced copy.
I have read and enjoyed many memoirs and novels set in and around the WW2 era and this one was no exception. Set in Poland, Germany and Israel alternately during and after the war, it chronicles the story of a young girl Danusha and her family. Based on a true story, I found it very moving and sad, but ultimately uplifting. The alternate timeline worked well and I liked the perspective of having the story told mostly by Danusha as a child. A little like Anne Frank in some ways.
With thanks to NetGalley, HarperCollins UK and One More Chapter for my copy in exchange for an honest review.
I liked this book. It is about a Jewish family and is set in WW2. I found it a compelling read. It told the story of a family with complicated relationships. Although it is about the harrowing times the family experienced during and just after the war, the book also explores family relationships that many of us can relate to. This book is rooted in fact. These are the reasons I liked the book.
The main theme of the story is about the relationship of a daughter and her mother, the book switches to hear both their accounts, which are not always remembered the same. This seems to give a better picture of their lives and is reality for all our memories.
The Polish Girl by Malka Adleris the second book I have read from this author. This book is based on a true story
tells the story of Danusha and her family who are a Jewish family, that are forced to flee their home when the Nazis invade Poland in WWII.

This book was a lovely but emotional read. I really enjoyed this book

Big Thank you to One More Chapter and NetGalley for the early read.
I've finished this book and I can't tell if I liked it or not. I read it in a day so it was nice and easy to read but I'm not sure I liked how it was written. I didn't really connect with the main character, and when I started reading it I had no idea it was based on a real-life ( i think I missed that bit on the cover) but I just would rather have heard from other side characters.
I generally avoid books based in that time because of family connections and because they emotionally hit me for six but this book didn't bring any emotion out at all.
This was a interesting if somewhat slow read for me. I liked that it was told from a child's perspective for Danusha's part. I did not like the mother, Anna at all. I understand she did what she thought she had to do for them to survive and that is fine, but I cannot forgive her for making Danusha feel like she wasn't worth anything, for making her feel "less Than"her brother. That is the part I just couldn't get my head around in this story. I don't want to give away too many spoilers so I will just say this, if you can get past disliking Anna, then it is a really good story and well written and researched. It paints a stark picture of the times for the poor family and the turmoil that the children experienced is unconceivable to us today. How lost and afraid they had to have been. I felt for poor Danusha from the very beginning and it heart my heart that her mother never gave her the warm loving care and security a child looks for from their parents.
I would recommend this book to WWII historical fiction fans, just be prepared for your heart to ache for little Danusha. Thank you to the publishers at Harper ?Collins and to Net Galley for the free ARC, I am leaving my honest review in return.
I really had a hard time reading this book.  I’m sure others may like this historical fiction story.
Sorry to say, it was a struggle to read this to the end.
I will reread it at a later time and see how I feel about it then.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest review.  All thoughts and opinions expressed are solely my own.
Really enjoyed this historical book, which tells the story a a Jewish family who have to flee Poland and their home when the Nazi invade in World War 2.. Where to go, how to keep safe with 2 young children.  But against all the odds they did.
Very interesting story which allowed me an easier overview of Polish history , I have always found well researched fiction to be a great way of accessing history and often recommended to history  F.E students. Very well written with complex characters however a little heavy going at times ( maybe that I have been reading easier access fiction recently) . Thank you Netgalley, publisher and author for ARC.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC of Malka Adler's "The Polish Girl".
This was a heartbreaking story and definitely worthy of sharing. Having said this, the written style was a bit hard to follow which made it harder for me to engage with the story and characters.
When the Nazis arrive in their Polish town, Anna and her family are forced to flee. Finding a position in a the home of a German officer and his family allows them to basically hide in plain sight, as so many Jewish people did during this horrific war.