Cover Image: The Book of Last Letters

The Book of Last Letters

Mi è piaciuto tanto questo romanzo storico. Le due protagoniste delle due linee temporali sono molto simili, grandi lavoratrici, con traumi famigliari e che trovano nel loro progetto uno scopo. Ci sono tanti comprimari che fanno da cornice alle due protagoniste, anche se non mi è piaciuto per niente la vicenda con Jackson, l'ho trovata brutta, di cattivo gusto e anche superflua, visto che non ha apportato modifiche alla storia.
Mi è piaciuto addentrarmi nella storia con Stevie, perché lei come il lettore  scopre la vita di Elsie poco per volta, facendosi inevitabilmente coinvolgere. L'ambientazione storica è accurata e si incastra bene con la storia ambientata nel presente (e poi io ho un debole per le love stories tra soldati/aviatori e infermiere).
Consiglio tanto questo romanzo perché riesce a coinvolgere e a trasportare in un altro tempo.
A split-time WWII/modern era story that had nurses, historians, nursing home carers, and all kinds of interesting characters - I enjoyed both time periods of the story equally and did not want to put the book down so that I could get back to whichever I wasn't currently reading.
This is a lovely heartwarming story. Set in a modern  day care home that was previously a hospital during the Second World War, The Book of Lost letters is a gem. The main characters are two strong women who though, separated by 80 odd years are very similar. Elsie is a nurse in WWII with an idea to help her patients share their love and keep their memories for their families should they not return from active service. Told through a dual time, Stephanie is a care assistant in the care home who comes across the memory book.
This is a touching story which deals with some quite sensitive issues. Many thanks to #NetGalley for my copy of this book. I would give it 3⭐️
The cover of the book reminded me of the book " The Book of Lost Names" and I was thinking it going to be another quite similar to that book. But although it was set in the war time, the story was completely different. I really enjoyed reading. I really loved that the book was set in dual time.
Very interesting split timeline book that was done very well. Beautiful book that will tug at the heart strings and I felt bereft when it ended
Based on a true story, you get dual-timelines of Elsie in the 1940’s and Stevie in the present day. In this novel we jump between modern-day London with Stevie, an artist working as a care aid at her Nan’s home, and 1940s London with Elsie, a young nurse in the early days of the Blitz. When Stevie meets historian Finn at Tall Trees, her grandmother’s care home, she becomes invested in uncovering a story from the past with ties to the present. Barrett’s novel switches between the story of Nurse Elsie Watson, who created a scrapbook to help capture the last messages of those in her care during the Blitz, and Stevie.

The characters really come alive in this book and though it was hard to imagine such a time, it had me sucked right in. I loved the idea behind the “book” of last letters that Elsie came up with in hopes to give others an outlet to write their thoughts down or messages to loved ones in their time of uncertainty and emotion.

I particularly love the authors style of writing. She is able to swap from different eras with fluid writing. I love the characters, the friendships and how different characters are able to support each other but not in a predictable way.

I was ever so slightly disappointed, as I would have loved the end of Elsie’s story to play out in the 1940’s, rather than the reader be told what happened from a modern day perspective.

Poignant and full of heart, this is a beautiful read about love, kindness and impossible choices.
LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!

Elsie is a nurse in London during WWII. As she is caring for injured and dying patients, she decides to create a book for soldiers to write memories and messages to loved ones in case they don't return.  While creating this book, she falls in love with an airman, while simultaneously trying to evade a stalker, and come to terms with her mercy killing of her best friend.  After the bombing of the hospital, Elsie disappears, and it's unclear what happened to her.
Present Day, after her brother steals from her and ends up in jail, Stephanie is defeated. She gives up her passion for art and takes a job as a caregiver at a nursing home. While there, she meets Finn, a professor, who is there to discover the history of the nursing home which was formerly a hospital during the war.  Stephanie begins working on a mural for the city and due to its historical nature, she finds herself being drawn into Elsie's story and working closely with Finn to discover the truth of what happened, at the same time that someone else seems to want to keep the truth hidden.

I absolutely adore books with interwoven timelines.  This was absolute perfection.  As Elsie's story slowly unfolds, we simultaneously see the similarities between her life and Stephanie's, and the truth behind Elsie's disappearance.

I would give this book 1,000 stars if I could.  Kerry Barrett is a genius!
A brilliant book spanning the war years and present day. When a book of memories, notes, messages and pictures are gathered during WW2 from the patients and staff in a hospital little did they know that a secret it holds will have and effect on those in the present day.  An art history project unearths stories from the past that need to be put to bed in the present.

A fantastically crafted story which I had trouble putting down. I love these time slip novels and this one did not disappoint. You need to read it as I am not letting on any secrets about this book. You need to read it for yourself.
This was a lovely read. It was an Interesting snapshot of the blitz and what it was like  working in those conditions, coupled a modern story and the interplay between these timelines was well handled. I enjoyed it a lot.
Amazing read!!! I could not put it down. Such a wonderful story with really likable characters. A story of love, pain, companionship and hope that came from the tragedy of the Blitz. I will recommend this to everyone as a story of real warmth and intrigue.
I have been a fan of Kerry’s work for a while now. I love the way in which she writes such emotional and memorable historical fiction. I read the synopsis for ‘The Book Of Last Letters’ and it certainly appealed to me. So without further ado, I grabbed a cup of tea, grabbed my Kindle and settled down for what proved to be an emotional afternoon of reading. I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘The Book Of Last Letters’ but more about that in a bit.
It took me no time at all to get into ‘The Book Of Last Letters’. In fact by the time I got to the end of the first page I knew that I was reading something special and that I would find it difficult to switch off from the story. I was right on both counts. To say that reading ‘The Book Of Last Letters’ became addictive is a bit of an understatement. I would pick the book up only intending to read a couple of chapters but I would become so wrapped up in the lives and loves of the characters and the story that I would still be sat there reading half a dozen chapters or so later. This book stayed in my mind whether I had my Kindle in my hand or not. If I wasn’t reading the book, I was thinking about the story. If I had to put the book down for any reason then I would immediately look forward to being able to pick the book up again. All too quickly I reached the end of ‘The Book Of Last Letters’ and I had to say goodbye to the characters. I found ‘The Book Of Last Letters’ to be an emotional but beautiful story, which held my interest throughout and which certainly kept me guessing.
‘The Book Of Last Letters’ is brilliantly written and the story is beautifully told but then I have come to expect nothing less from Kerry Barrett. Kerry has a writing style that is easy to get used to and easy to get along with. She grabs the reader’s attention from the start and draws them into what proves to be one hell of a story. The story is written using a dual timeline – the first timeline deals with events as they happened at a certain hospital during the fairly early days of the Second World War and the second timeline focusses on events as they happen in the present day. The two timelines interlink really well and the story flows seamlessly as a result. Kerry clearly cares about her characters and this shines through in the very vivid and realistic way in which she describes them. She makes her characters seem just as real as you and I. I did feel as though I was on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster ride whilst reading this story with all the ups and downs, twists and turns and so on.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘The Book Of Last Letters’ and I would recommend this book to other readers. I will certainly be reading more of Kerry’s work in the future. The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
Omg finally a historical fiction book with alternating timelines, where both stories are excellent. Chefs kiss. We follow elsie in the Early 1940s during the height of the blitz. And in present day we follow Stevie.
I love this book, it was both heartwrenching but at the same time uplifting. You Will fall in love with the characters. You Will laugh with them, you Will cry with them... i highly recommend this book.
Thank you to netgalley for letting me read this e arc in exchange for an honest opinion
Inspired by a true story, this work of historical fiction takes the reader back to 1940s London at the height of the the Blitz. Every day, nurse Elsie Watson meets new victims of the bombings, and after sending a letter to the family of an injured woman, she decides to start a book of last letters- a place for everyone at the hospital to record their thoughts, leave a message for their loved ones, and share stories of the war. The book, however, vanishes until the present day, and many questions surround the book and the woman who started it all. Stevie is on a mission to learn what happened to Elsie, and in the process uncovers quite the mystery.
As a sucker for historical fiction, I really enjoyed this book. Several elements in the story were predictable, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing! I found it to be a very engaging read and rather informative, as I was able to learn more about wartime London.
I really enjoyed this book. It was touching and poignant.
Two stories unfold as you learn about WWII and the fate of the hospital as well as how the building is being used today as a care home. I felt the characters came alive and you really were with them as their lives unfolded. The heartbreaking idea of letters, notes, artworks being left by the soldiers for their families was both lovely to read yet tinged with sadness. Loved it!
* 4.75 Stars*

Copy kindly received via NetGalley for an honest review.

This was a really interesting read with great characters. Lots of interesting times in Elsie's, with many ups and downs. Lots of good ideas for Stevie from Elsie's book and looking back into history was an eye opener. Very good ending. Would recommend.
I don’t even know where to begin. I loved it, it was so interesting and tugged at my heart strings.  A truly remarkable story. I have never ready anything by Kerry but I will sure read more. The story is based on two different time lines. The story takes place during WWII and the present day. If you had a chance to write letter to a loved one while recouperating from a war injury wouldn’t you like to do that?  You will be swept away by the story between Stephanie and Elsie. Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this book.
This was a very engaging story, with more going on than I expected. I loved Elsie, Nellie and Mrs. Gold. There was never a good “stopping point” once I got caught up in their story.
Stephanie had a great cast of characters in her life, too. Her friendship with young Micah was great.
Advanced reader copy courtesy of the publishers at NetGalley for review.
Loved it! I enjoyed the alternating timelines between Elsie during the 1940s and Stephanie in the present. Both had interesting stories. Jackson definitely wins creepiest person. I'm pretty sure he took Billy's words of look after my sister literally. He never let Elsie out if his sight. She should have let Mr. Gold arrest him. The Golds were a very interesting couple. Mrs. Gold was definitely more than a secretary. I'm sure they lead a very interesting life, but everything was kept secret. The Golds were wonderful to Elsie and Nelly. Stevie blamed herself too much for what happened to Max. He was the reason for being in prison. It was clear, Stevie had zero support from her dad and mom. Loved her relationship with Micah. Enjoyed the mystery of what happened to Elsie as Stevie tries to find her. Loved the residents at Tall Pines. They added some comical relief and were always willing to help Stevie. I knew Helen was keeping secrets and had to be behind the kerfuffle with the mouse. Then there was Finn, with his floppy hair. The story was full of love, friendship, loss, forgiveness and so much more. Elsie was a true friend to Nelly, even though she struggled with what happened. Loved the ending of the book and when I finally learned the truth about what happened to Elsie.

Definitely recommend the book, especially if you are a fan of historical WWII fiction. Loved the characters, story and writing style. Look forward to reading more books by the author. Love the cover of the book.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from HQ through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
The Book of Last Letters spits between London, 1940 and present-day London.
Elsie is a nurse in 1940 during WW2 the Blitz.  She offers to write letters home for the wounded soldiers.  The book took on a life of itself with hidden secrets.
Elsie’s book was found years later in present day London.  Stephanie worked in a retirement home that used to be the hospital where Elsie worked. Stephanie read the book and went on a journey to find out who Elsie was, and the secrets the book held.

I loved this book from the beginning to the end.  Very emotional yet inspiring read.
Thank you NetGalley and HQ for the opportunity to review The Book of Last Letters.
A scrapbook found in the remains of a former hospital that was used in WW2.
 It's full of loss, fear but hope and courage.
In current day, the site is now a care home and the book is found by a local artist who tries to duplicate the idea the boom was based on.  A lovely book and definitely recommended.
Thanks to#NetGalley for the advance copy in return for an honest review