Cover Image: The Way Back To You

The Way Back To You

Super refreshing to read a rom com from a male point of view. I enjoyed James' previous book a lot and this is another step up on that one.

I've also not read a lot of books with a main character in their 60s, and I will admit due to the age gap I did struggle to connect with Simon at this stage of his life. I much more connected with the Simon onf the 1970s.

Second chance romance is not a usual favourite of mine, but I really enjoyed this one. It felt fresh and very sweet.

Simon being a widower is written really well, with a lot of respect and tact for what is a difficult time.
This was an easy read and was refreshingly told from a male perspective. It was a fun and sometimes poignant read and I really enjoyed it.
I loved this book. It was such an easy read and very nostalgic. It was set in Dorset which I know very well and it switches back to the 1970’s. This was a funny story about 3 boys in school and they decide to cycle to France to visit a pen-pal. It was descriptive and funny and I didn’t want it to end. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
I was reading through reviews before I started the novel, and I read someone call it a "hug in a book" and after reading it all - I genuinely agree.

I found it a really refreshing and unique romance novel, what really set it apart in my opinion, was that it was written from a male's perspective - which was so different to the majority of the romance novels I have read so far. I found Bailey's writing style light and refreshing, and like a breath of fresh air.

The Way Back To You was a charming and light read; and one that genuinely made me feel happier. While I usually don't enjoy novels with flashbacks throughout and shifting between different periods, Bailey manages to pull it off to create a warm novel about love and friendship. A truly great read.
At the age of 16, Simon, Ian and Raj cycle to France to meet Simon's pen pal, Sylvie, his first love, but never find her. The friends lose touch over the years but following Raj's funeral, Ian and Simon decide to repeat the cycle ride to scatter Raj's ashes in his favourite place of that trip. Now a widower of 10 years, can Simon find Sylvie and rekindle that love? Funny, touching, and hard to put down.
This was my first time reading a romance book from the male's perspective in its entirety and I thoroughly enjoyed it as it was very unique and a refreshing take from the other romance books I have read. It provides an insight into the mind of a male in love which I liked.

The plot was so ridiculous and unbelievable that you cannot help but laugh as you travel in time from past to present with Simon. From the bike ride with Simon, Raj and Ian making the trip to France as young teenager's to unite Simon with his love, Sylvie. To adult Simon and Ian making the trip to scatter the remains of their dear friend Raj.

It is a beautiful telling of love, loss and friendship and although it is categorized as a love story, I believe it more to be a story of friendship and how the people we view as our friends can almost be like our family and can guide us when we lose our way or forget who we once were.
I really enjoyed The Way Back to You, it’s light-hearted, heart-warming and funny.
The book flits between then 1975 and now and centres around Simon reminiscing about his time at boarding school with his two best mates and then his life now some 40+ years on as a B&B owner, father and widower.
After learning about the death of one of his childhood best mates, Simon feels at a real crossroads in his life and embarks on a trip down memory lane.
Back in 1975 we get to learn about Simon’s friendship with Ian and Raj, his love of music and his infatuation with his French pen pal Sylvie.
Simon and his friends decide to go and visit Sylvie by riding stolen bikes from Bristol to Bordeaux!
What awaits them when they get there and will they be rumbled when they get back?
I loved going on that adventure with the 16-year-old Simon and his mates through the 1975 chapters.

I won't give too much away but present day Simon is around 60 and decides to make the trip again and the reader gets to tag along too!
There’s a real exploration of friendship, long lost love, teenage dramas, regret and growing up.

It really makes you think, what would you do differently if you had no commitments or restrictions? What would happen if you took that chance?

I was rooting for Simon all the way through and I think you will too.
I just loved this dual timeline story from James Bailey!  I found this book a little different to my usual reads as it is focused on a male main
character, but I loved Simon, and enjoyed getting to know him in the present day and in his school days with his mates Ian and Raj.  It's a really heartwarming story that will make you want to reconnect with long lost friends, as Simon embarks on a hilarious road trip with a difference with his old school friend Ian.  Ian is a real one-off, he would drive anyone crazy but it makes for some really funny moments on their adventure!  The developing romance in both timeframes make this book a winner for me, I
loved it!  I was lucky enough to read an advance copy of this book on NetGalley, so thank you to Penguin Michael Joseph for the opportunity to
read this in exchange for an honest review - I highly recommend this book and award it my top rating of 5 stars!
Such a beautifully crafted story with reliable characters and life lessons overall.
I loved the dual timeline in here. I usually get annoyed by them but here everything makes so much more sense and adds so much to the story. The friendships the characters build is a beautiful one full of heart and emotions and even some down to earth scenes.
It’s raw and heartwarming, a story that makes you call your long time friends before it’s too late.
A warm, funny, feel good story that's just a little bit different to lots of the others out at the moment. I loved the way the story developed between the two time lines and the reconnection of the school pen pals. The friendships were well written and I loved the message that life is short and we should take chances and always say yes to adventure!
The Way Back To You
By James Bailey

This is my first book by this Author but having read this it won't be my last.
An easy to read, heartwarming, enjoyable book, which is both funny and romantic.

Set between now and the 70s you follow friends Simon, Ian and Raj on their quest to find Simons first love  Pen Pal Sylvie, the only thing is she lives in Bordeaux, France.

Whereas now running a busy B&B Simon gets news that his old friend Raj has passed away. The sad event then brings Simon back in contact with Ian, and suddenly Simon and Ian are back on their Journey to Bordeaux, but will Simon finally be able to meet Sylvie?

A story full of love, friendship, family.

I was lucky enough to get the chance to read this ahead of is publication date 9th June thanks to Netgalley and Penquin Michael Joesph UK.

My review will be published via Instagram a week before publication as requested.
A thoroughly enjoyable light fun read. Slightly quirky and different but somehow totally believable with brilliant characters even the most annoying one, Ian, who is someone we've all come across.  Written between two timelines, a mid-seventies boarding school in Bristol and modern day Dorset but both including a trip to France by bike. There are many twists and turns with various mishaps in both eras with a sense of heartwarming fun and joy against the background of unpredictable life and changing relationships.  A definite light read.
Simon Brown is saddened to find out that one of his best childhood friends has passed away. Thinking about Raj brings back so many memories that he has to go up to the attic to retrieve his box of memorabilia finding the mixtape that he made for his French penpal Sylvie. The other member of his schooldays trio, Ian persuades his to repeat the journey that the boys made all those years ago to honour their friend. Simon isn't sure if its madness especially;;y as Ian doesn't seem to have grown out of the unreliable character traits he had all those years ago. Fun madcap adventure definitely brings a smile to your face.
I loved this feel good, romantic, funny, joyous book. It's like a big hug in book form and really enjoyable. Loved it.
My first book from this author.

Simon is a widower, living and working at the Dorset B&B he ran with his wife up until her sudden, unexpected death 10 years before. His only daughter Anna is due to be married soon and is ready for her new life. For Simon, it  looks like life is standing still for him until one day he catches sight of a notice of death for his best friend from when he was 16. Raj, Simon and their friend Ian spent the summer cycling to France at 16 in order to meet Simon’s pen pal Sylvia. The trip didn’t quite go according to plan and the boys didn’t see each other again….until paths are crossed in memory of Raj.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked the way the story was told in the present day as well as through flashbacks to the 1970s. I was rooting for Simon all the way through.

Thank you NetGalley for my chance to read and review.
Not sure if it was a file/download issue but there were lots of gaps, stop/starts which really ruined the flow. I would love the chance to read a better version as the description of the book appeals to me.
Thanks to Penguin Michael Joseph UK and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.  I absolutely loved this! I read this book within a day, I couldn’t put it down. I loved the characters and the way I had to keep asking myself if I was right in how I thought the plot was turning out. A really enjoyable read.
A Four-star read that will surprise you. I picked this up as I thought the premise was a great story, a long-lost love affair that time hasn’t dimed, despite never meeting, it sounded whimsical and wonderous, that wasn’t what I got and that took me a while to get my grip around, but honestly it still made me smile in wonder. Simon goes on a literal and metaphysical journey in this story, and its one that will surprise many. It has taken three reads, as I kept getting distracted and also a couple of writes as every time, I tried to write my review it just never seemed right to me. This is a great story and one I hope many will pick up.
Lovable, emotional, touching.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me access an advance copy of this book in exchange for my feedback.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this gorgeous book. I love romantic stories especially those that take us back to when the world was our oyster. Will be doing a full in depth review on my blog. Gorgeously written.

Three friends. Two summers. One chance to find the way back to you . . .

When Simon Brown reconnects on Facebook with his first love Sylvie - the French pen pal he never actually met - he is determined that this time things will be different.

However, life isn't so straight-forward at sixty as it was at sixteen. His daughter's getting married, he's got difficult guests staying at his B&B, and his larger-than-life school friend, Ian, has abruptly waltzed back into his life.

Adamant that he can't let this second chance pass by, Simon sets off on a bike ride from Bristol to Bordeaux with Ian in tow, on the very same route they covered as teenagers in pursuit of love.

But although they now have better bikes, more acceptable haircuts, and Google Maps, some things never change, and it soon becomes clear that this trip will have even more bumps in the road than the first.

Is it ever too late to make up for past mistakes?

How far can one friendship be pushed?

And will Simon finally meet Sylvie?