Cover Image: Nora Goes Off Script

Nora Goes Off Script

Certain romance novels obviously take place in a universe where therapy isn't a thing.

Nora Hamilton usually writes formulaic scripts for a romance movie channel. After her divorce leaves her a single mother of two, she pours her entire life into a darker and heavier script, just to process what has happened, but she is amazed when her agent proclaims it her best script yet and sets out to get it made. Suddenly, Nora's life is taken over by a Hollywood film crew as they film pivotal scenes at her actual home. But when the film crew leaves, all Nora is left with is the messed-up Hollywood heartthrob A-lister Leo Vance, who was cast to play her husband. He wants to stay at Nora's home for an extra week, and he's willing to generously compensate her for the trouble. A week is nothing compared to the financial breathing room it would give her. But it's also enough time to fall in love and have your heart broken all over again.

This was so bland and boring. I still don't get why Nora apparently has no issues having a complete stranger around her kids, never mind the fact that he's clearly got a substance abuse problem. Leo, for his part, seems little more than a cardboard version of a real person. His entire character can be boiled down to "handsome" and "charming".

Obviously, Leo stays longer than the week he originally planned for, because he and Nora have fallen in love. Mind you, these are fully adult people, roughly 40 years old, not teenagers with an underdeveloped prefrontal cortex. But still they both push pretty much everything aside because they have fallen madly in love in less than a week. And then, when Leo does eventually leave after about 3 weeks, Nora is completely lost. And then he stops calling or texting, and she goes off the deep end. She has known this guy for maybe a month at most, letting her kids get attached to him as a new father figure in their lives, rearranging her whole life for him.

And then, when the movie eventually makes it into theatres it's obviously a big success and they have their awkward reunion. Which then leads into Awards season. Obviously the movie is nominated for multiple Academy Awards, but never mind all that because finally, after the ceremony, Nora finds out why Leo stopped calling and texting and it was just the absolute worst case of failure to communicate in the history of that trope.

Really, this book should have been Nora going to therapy to deal with her wanker of an ex and then a parallel story of Leo tackling his issues in therapy. It wouldn't have been a romance, but it would've been better than this.

Honestly, the only thing that kept me reading is the fact that my internet was out for pretty much an entire day and I didn't want to pay extra to use the data on my phone.
Poor Nora, what a wee shame, she's not had an easy ride but I think this was such an uplifting, romantic read. It kept me hooked from the beginning and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The character development throughout the book was great and very realistic.

Thank you to the author and net galley for allowing me a copy of this book.
A romantic story of Nora a script writer who falls for Leo the male lead in her film after they use her house as a set.  He promises to return after his next project but never does.  Next thing she sees pictures of him with the leading lady, but shes not been told she is dumped.  Nora picks up the pieces of her life and writes another script, this time about their brief dalliance, which is picked up by Hollywood.

Normally I don't do romance stories but this one was good.  Single mom, two kids who like Leo but have secret harbingers about their own father who left them.  Quickly read by me in just a couple of days.  Could see this as a film!

I received this book from netgalley in return for a honest review.
Nora is a single mother who writes those cheesy, made-for-tv- films that you find on Hallmark and channels like that.   She used to be married to a bloke called Ben who to be honest, was a total waste of space.   When he leaves Nora and the two kids, she writes about it and instead of selling the script to the usual suspects, Hollywood bids for it.    In walks Leo Vance, the most famous and handsome actor of the moment to play the role of Ben.     For 3 days a film crew are at Nora's home to film in the little "shed" known as The Tea House, where Nora does her writing.  At the end of the 3 days, Leo asks if he can stay for a little while.  Nora agrees to rent the Tea House to him for a week.

Over the course of the week, Leo wiggles his way into the life of Nora, her children and their small town.  Obviously Nora and Leo fall in love but as we know, the course of true love never ran smooth.  Leo is called back to Hollywood for an audition but he promises to be back in a day or two - but he isn't. ...

This was a very predictable romance but I really enjoyed it.   The characters were great.  Nora's children are childlike and mature in equal measure - but I guess they've been through a lot.

I would heartily recommend this book.
A perfect book to chill out and escape into another life with. Nora writes cheesy romantic comedies which are made into feel good films. By chance a filmmaker asks to use her home as the backdrop for his blockbuster movie and her life becomes more complicated with the arrival of a movie star.

Well written, likeable characters and easy to sit back and enjoy. A thoroughly good book.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
I was quite far into this book before I decided if I liked it or not, definitely a slow-burn for me. I tend to prefer books written in dual POVs so I was a bit sceptical, but I was definitely converted! Nora was absolutely delightful, very real and messy and so entirely relatable. I adored how the novel focused on her life as the centre as she goes through this both realistic and outrageous story.
The way Monaghan writes settings is fantastic, everything was very visual and you could so easily imagine Nora's house with the porch, the kitchen, and our course the little writing cottage. The mystery of Leo's life was compelling, and despite me saying I prefer duel POVs, of course this story completely relied on the single POV, and it was done so well! The miscommunication reveal was amazing, I really gasped out loud when it happened.
Can't wait to see what Monaghan does next, I'll definitely be pre-ordering it!
I absolutely loved this book. The characters were so well written and the story line brilliant. Highly recommended.
A really lovely, light read. An emotional story of the rollercoaster of finding yourself, and figuring out your place in the world.

I think that it would be the perfect holiday read, but maybe not for the beach because I did find myself doing a bit of ugly crying at points.

Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Absolutely loved this book! Could
Not put it down. Was absorbed by the characters and felt invested in a happy ending!
I adored this. Not only a second chance at romance but a second chance at general happiness. I enjoyed how Annabel Monaghan shows character development rather than just telling you. And develop, she did.

This was Nora's book, and that's why it is 100% more women's fiction - I loved Leo as a character, and there could have been slightly more character development for him (especially as I really didn't love him at first), but overall I was happy with Nora being the star of the show. It's what she deserves.

AND, loved the kids.
“…the best things come back. Sometimes it’s right after the commercial, sometimes it takes longer. But time and sunshine bring growth, and life unfolds just the way it’s supposed to.”

As a romance channel screenwriter, Nora Hamilton knows the formula for love better than anyone. But when her husband leaves her and their two kids, Nora turns the collapse of her marriage into the best script of her life which is picked up for the big screen and set to film on location at her picturesque Hudson Valley home.

The morning after the crew leaves, Nora finds world-famous Hollywood actor and former 'Sexiest Man Alive' Leo Vance, who is cast as her ex-husband, on her porch with a half-empty bottle of tequila and a proposition. He’ll pay a thousand dollars a day to stay for an extra week. Seven days: it’s the blink of an eye or an eternity, depending on how you look at it. It’s enough time to fall in love. Enough time to break your heart…

Nora Goes Off Script is crazy cute and fabulously funny. That there happens to be a mom driven wild by her two kids is what balances the mush. I love how Annabel Monaghan has written her characters. As much as the whole thing sounds like a fantasy you’d cook up in your dreams (which the author probably did), she makes it sound totally believable.

Sharp as a whip and endearing to its core, this delightful rom-com is the book for the summer. I only wish I could read it again for the first time.

This ARC courtesy of NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton.
Nora Goes off Script by Annabel Monaghan is a great romp of a read. All the classic ingredients of a romcom and with predictability and cheesiness throughout. Nora is a well developed character and you really do feel that you get to know her and her kids well. This is an easy, lovely read for a wet day by the fire or on the beach just chilling. Three stars
I was looking forward to reading this book, but unfortunately have not been able to access this to send to my kindle to read.
Nora Hamilton, a romance Scriptwriter, is left by heer useless husband. On her own with two interesting youngsters, she is determined to make the best of things and decides to turn her broken life into a screenplay. Meeting with Leo, (didnt care for him) who plays her husband in the film, she finds a new romance. Will it last wne the last scene is played?
A pleasant light read. Thank you for a review copy which I enjoyed.
This was a simple, fun, easy and quick read. The perfect type of book for your holiday, beach, pool kind of read. This is a first for me by the author and one I enjoyed and would read more of their work. The book cover is eye-catching and appealing and would spark my interest if in a bookshop. Thank you very much to the author, publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.
Cute, fun, easy to read, romance.

Perfect for reading indoors on a rainy weekend, or in the sun by the pool/beach.

Thank you to Annabel Monaghan, Hodder & Stoughton, and NetGalley for an invitation read of this book.
Ah this books has all the emotions - ideal for an Emily Henry/ Beth O'Leary/ Lizzy Dent fan- it took my heart on a rollercoaster of a  journey!

Romantic screenwriter Nora and her two  children Arthur and Bernadette have been left by her husband Ben; not that much of a big deal for Nora as he always had one foot out of the door throughout their marriage and she never felt she was enough to make him stay. She's been able to keep their gorgeous house with its romantic garden-room - the Teahouse - and is making things work.

In a break from her usual romantic screenwriting work, she writes the fictionalised truth about what happened to her and Ben. Its a huge hit, the raw emotion pouring off the page, and soon Hollywood actors are set up in her house making the movie of her screenplay.

Obviously the lead man, Leo, is an absolute hunk, though a bit of a drunken mess at times, and he and Nora start hanging out, After filming ends, he asks if he can stay in the Teahouse for a few days to have some normality in his life, The friendship  between Leo and Nora develops and she enjoys the feeling of being seen around the town with a handsome film star in tow. The relationship turns into more- in some beautifully written agonisingly emotional scenes - could this be the start of something spectacular?

I absolutely loved this book - the characters felt brilliantly real and super-entertaining, I was rooting for Nora and booing Ben. The set up with Nora being a romantic film writer was fabulous; reading the book you know that it is following the tropes of a romcom meetcute but so well handled - not twee in the slightest.

I will definitely look out for more books from Annabel Monaghan! Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me read the ARC
This book was good! I enjoyed it, it was heartfelt and warm. It was predictable, as expected, but I’d say it’s a light, easy read for anyone looking for a romance read.
Nora is a scriptwriter, who wrote the most recent film when her husband left her. Now there is a film crew in her house, with Leo playing her husband on screen. When the filming wraps, he stays behind. He is troubled so will it lead to another heartbreak for her and her children?
A great read.
This is a fun romance with a really interesting premise! I enjoyed both the FMC Nora, a screenwriter and single mother of two, and the MMC Leo, a glamorous and flamboyant famous actor.

It is set mainly on Nora’s charming property which has a little tea house on it. This location plays a big role in the story and I loved all the lovely descriptions of the nature, sunrises etc.

The romance between Nora and Leo was very cute and I enjoyed the somewhat unique pacing of their relationship. Nora’s kids also play a big part in the story as well and they were both adorable and yet also portrayed realistically as kids who can make mistakes.

As a screenwriter myself, I did find some little inaccuracies concerning Nora’s job, filming processes and timelines etc., but they were easy to ignore for me due to the charming story and I’m sure a reader that doesn’t work in the film industry will not even notice these things.

The only thing I didn’t really vibe with was how Nora (and sometimes Leo as well) thought of her job as a screenwriter for a romance TV channel - as a filmmaker myself, I don’t enjoy when certain genres are seen as lesser than others. I know that Nora mainly thought this way due to her awful ex Ben (thoroughly hated him haha), but I don’t remember that she realized on page that every story that is told with passion has merit. It was especially strange to read in a romance novel itself, which usually celebrate the genre. Of course romance can feel formulaic at times, but so does every story. There are only so many basic plots - it’s what you do with them that sets the story apart from the other ones following the same formula.

But apart from that I really enjoyed the book and especially Monaghan’s writing style. I will definitely pick up her next one!

If you’re on the lookout for a fun yet also emotional summer read, this story will not disappoint you. Especially if you liked Olivia Dade’s Spoiler Alert and/or All the Feels, this will be a good pick for you.

(Thank you to NetGalley, Annabel Monaghan and Hodder & Stoughton for providing me with an eARC for this book in exchange for my honest feedback. All opinions in this review are my own.)