Cover Image: Jade Is a Twisted Green

Jade Is a Twisted Green

Unfortunately I didn't finish Jade is a Twisted Green and instead DNFed it at 23%.

I really struggled to get into the narration of the book and found the switching of perspectives unnecessary and even confusing at times. The vagueness of our Jade's words made it difficult for me to become invested, particularly as a lot of time was spent reflecting on the past, and it started feeling like a chore to read. In fear of entering a reading slump I had to put the book down. I think its definitely the wrong genre for me but I'm sure there are others out there that will appreciate the slow place and reflective style more enjoyable.
I really enjoyed this book - about a queer black woman in Toronto coming to terms with the death of her sister. The only thing that I struggled with was the changing perspectives as I really wanted to connect to jade more.
Yeah, so. The first thing I want to say is that I am Asian-American, raised in a mostly-white environment in the middle of the fucking Midwest.

In other words, I know very little about Black people and Black culture.

Was this book intended for an audience like me? Absolutely not. Did I love it anyway? Yes. Could I still relate to the characters? Probably not as strongly as a Black person could, but yes.

Because this book is about love and grief and struggle, and I understand those things fairly well. This book is about culture and heritage, and while it might not be about my culture and heritage, I still understood the importance. This book is about personality and queerness and acceptance, and as a queer person, I was fucking here for it.

So maybe I couldn’t really understand some of the characters when they spoke patois, and maybe I realized that I really need to educate myself more. But I still loved this book.

The writing style was so personal and deep and eloquent without being flowery - in fact, it kind of had this matter-of-fact vibe to it. But it was gorgeous in a unique way.

The emotions that this book gave me were so??? Much??? I felt so happy and so sad at times and the way things were phrased just made me feel.

And the characters. Oh, the characters. Jade was so relatable to me, as someone who both struggles with grief and wants to be a writer and most of the time doesn’t know what she’s doing. Tayja was beautiful inside and out. Amethyst was incredible and so much fun. Allison only confirmed to me that I am queer.

I could go on, but for the sake of my laptop battery, I can’t.

Basically, I could see so much represented in this book. It was so moving and it told me things that I didn’t realize I needed to know. This book made me happy and proud just to be. Just to exist. It let me know that it’s okay not to have things figured out.

This book might have been about love, grief, struggle, culture, heritage, personality, queerness and acceptance, but it was about so much else that I don’t know how to explain in words. There was a spiritual quality to it.

The main thing this is about is self-discovery. Jade’s journey was so raw, filled with so much pain and hope and pride, and I loved it so much. Maybe it wasn’t meant for me, but I’m glad to have gotten it all the same.
I was excited by the premise of a Jamaican college-aged girl grappling with her twin sisters death and on the road of self-discovery. Unfortunately, the narration felt unfocused and detached. The switching between Jade and her friends was disappointing. I wanted more Jade! I can see how perhaps the at times seemingly random flow of events throughout the narrative arc may be itself a metaphor for how some move through grief… but it personally didn’t work for me. I nearly DNF’ed a couple times and was not captivated by the book like I initially anticipated.
The description of the book sounded very interesting to me - coming of age, queer characters of color, grief, sexuality. Unfortunately I knew from very early on that this wasn't going to be for me. The formatting and the writing style kept me from wanting to pick it back up again and there was nothing within the first chapters that could hold my attention or make me want to read the story. I couldn't even tell you what happens.
So I'm very sorry to report that this is a DNF for me.

Thank you so much to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this eARC, I will not post a review on Goodreads or any other platform as I haven't read enough of the book.
“Feelings often left no space for the person she desired to be.”

Tanya Turton’s debut novel Jade is a Twisted Green is a feel-good (and feel emotional and feel warm and fuzzy and feel pride and etc.) coming-of-age story that deals with grief, self-discovery, and queer identity as experienced by Jade Brown, a first-generation Jamaican woman living in Toronto.

After the unexpected death of her twin sister, Jade has been struggling to figure out who she is without her other half, and what (and who) she wants in her life. Throughout college and young adulthood, Jade has had friendships and relationships that helped to ground her, but now she struggles to find that same solid ground on her own. As her 25th birthday approaches, Jade embarks on a journey to surrender the heaviness of her trauma and embrace her whole self.

I really enjoyed reading this book, from the very beginning I was pulled into Jade’s story, wanting her to get her happy ending as if she was my lifelong friend. And her actual friends, while they played a supporting role in the telling of her story, all stood out as fully realized creations, important to Jade but also important to themselves, and lived their own lives alongside hers.

The queer friendships depicted in the novel felt like a comforting hug, and were a highlight of the story for me, watching Jade navigate those friendships, and the often blurred lines between them felt genuine and added realism to both the plot and Jade’s internal journey of self-discovery (and self-love).

The setting, Toronto, Ontario, came to life on the pages, and ended up being more special to me than I had initially considered; I read the last 30 pages of the book while navigating the Toronto subway system, a location that plays a larger role in Jade’s story than is initially apparent.

I haven’t experienced a loss like Jade’s, but Turton’s writing was dynamic enough that I was still easily able to empathize with her grief, and even as she made decisions throughout her processing that were different than I would have made, I still understood where she was coming from and why she made the decisions she did. Connecting with the main character in that way is one of my favorite parts of reading, and this book absolutely nailed that.

I struggled a little bit with the novel’s pacing, particularly around the middle. Jade’s story takes place (not including flashback scenes) in the summer before her 25th birthday. Sometimes that summer felt too long, with passages feeling dragged out or unimportant to the greater plot, while other times a week passed in the universe and it took me two pages to realize. The draw of the characters and the desire to know how their stories were going to go kept me engaged enough to work through the occasionally odd pacing, but it did jar me at times.

I can’t say enough about this book, it would have me teary-eyed and then giggling in the span of a chapter, and even a week after finishing it, I’m still thinking about Jade and her emotional journey to 25 (especially poignant as I skyrocket towards 28…). If you like your contemporary self-discovery with a gorgeous side of romance, this book is absolutely for you.
I loved her writing style. The prose was beautiful. I enjoyed following Jade on her journey through grief and figuring out who she is and what she wants as a black and queer woman in her early 20's.

Though, her waffling decision making drove me crazy... sorry.

Mixed bag for me! The cover is amazing though!

Thank you to Rare Machines and Netgalley for the opportunity to read an advanced copy in exchange for my honest opinion!
The themes of grief, identity, figuring yourself out, especially after the person you lived your whole life with is gone, different kinds of love and relationships, and various cultures, were all written very well and I enjoyed reading about these a lot.
This is a coming of age story that is so beautifully written. I sympathize with jade so much, not knowing who you are and trying to figure it all out. Not only that but also trying to live with grief and not being able to cope with it at first.
Like I said this story is beautiful, is it life changing? No but still worth a read
So many things went wrong with Jade very early on: The multiple point of views that cut the narrative into so many pieces I couldn't put any of it together. The prose that felt so clunky and cheesy. And worst of all: how not one of the characters could wriggle its way under my skin except in a terrible way. So, sadly, I did not enjoy this book.
I thought this sounded great, I am always interested in books set in Toronto because I spent a couple of weeks holiday there quite a few years ago, and have fond memories of it. Unfortunately I just didn't connect to the main character or the story in this book, and I struggled with the writing style. Really sorry, but not for me.
Unfortunately, I had to stop reading this book as I could not push through due to the writing style. Thank you so much for the eARC.
I was so excited about this, what doesn't sound more exciting than a coming of age story of a queer black woman that lives through the stages of grief after losing her sister. Now what threw me off the most was the change of narrative, it feels like it wasn't necessary. Because we follow so many different points of view it felt like Jade's story somehow just got lost, in the end, I didn't really care for Jade.
I enjoyed this idiosyncratic contemporary exploration of grief, race and sexuality - through the eyes of a contemporary main character with highly relatable issues and anxieties. The portrait of a group of Toronto friends on holiday is sassy, out-there and fun and the main character's overall journey to get over her personal grief is compelling. This suffered slightly in comparison to You Made a Fool of Death with Your Beauty which I read at a similar time and touched on many of the same themes - I found the writing style of this not very sophisticated, the main character's motivations and actions somewhat confusing at times, and the ending / closure much less satisfying - but it felt like a fresh voice and highly readable. Thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy.
Unfortunately, this book did not catch my attention, and the formatting along with the writing style was hard to follow. Originally, I was hopeful this would be a good read based off the description, but I just couldn’t get into it. Life is too short and my TBR is too long to force myself to read a book I’m not enjoying, so I DNF this one.

Thank you, NetGalley and Dundurn Press, for providing me an ARC copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Note to Publisher: I am in the market of supporting books and their authors. Since I DNF this one, I will not be posting my review on external sites like Goodreads or Instagram.
I have mixed feelings about this book, I’m not entirely sure where I stand with it.

This is not a light read. It is heavy. It’s one where I can feel Jade’s grief coming off the pages and it was heartbreaking to read her go through this. I had to read the book little but often to get through it. It does also feel like the book throws you straight into the deep end and into jade’s grief and mind, with her sister already gone, and we learn more about them and their relationship through memories as the book progresses. Although this wasn’t what I expected, I still enjoyed the story being told this way - I found it an unusual narration type so think I enjoyed that element!

The writing style was stunning. It’s very descriptive, full of imagery, metaphors and really brings jade’s world and mindset to life - both literally and metaphorically.

I found the book somewhat difficult to follow at times and the different povs started off really interesting but then became quite tricky for me to consistently navigate and took a lot of concentration. I also found a lot of this book went by with not a lot happening, which I get does make sense for a character led book and character development, but after a certain point, I think more plot is needed to keep the book moving and give pacing.

Also as someone who is not poly, I don’t think I am in a position to comment on the representation of this, however I do think it is more than cheating on your partner with someone else, so if this is someone’s only experience reading that type of representation, it could be quite damaging.

Having said that, I do think it is an eye opening read and has a lot of potential. Just because it wasn’t for me, doesn’t mean it may not be someone else’s all time favourite book!
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read a copy of this ARC!

This book had me thinking and reflecting on a lot of things, and I think that was the author's intention. We follow a 24/25-year-old black queer woman in Canada named Jade who has recently lost her sister, Roze. Through the powers of female friendship and self-reflection, we follow Jade on a journey of her healing from trauma and becoming her (more) true self in the process.

Things I loved:
1. The characters! I think they all brought something unique to the story and expanded on the world created. Each of them was distinct in personality and had their own wants and wishes outside of the MC
2. The friendships. I love when an author really knows how to portray a bond between characters, and Tanya certainly does that.
3. The journey of healing trauma. It's messy, it's confusing, and it's raw. Just like life. And Jade is just trying to figure it out as she goes.

Things I didn't love:
1. Pacing. Some chapters seemed to really drag, while others we zoomed through. I think some moments (not speaking in specifics because of spoilers) we really needed some more time with instead of others.
2. Switching POV. I think this story really was Jade's to tell, and switching POVs just kind of clogged up the storytelling. I did like hearing what other characters were thinking and going through, but in the end, I feel like it just became too "big" for the book and we focused on too much at once.
3. Jade and Tay. (this gets kind of spoilery, so beware)
I don't like that through the guise of "finding herself" Jade tricks Tay into a polyamorous relationship. It felt kind of manipulative. If she wanted to be with Tay, great. If she didn't, then she should've left her to find herself. It just felt wrong for me, but others will probably disagree, and that's okay!

For me, this was an enjoyable read with lots of beautiful moments. I think for the right person, this book will heal them and guide them through their personal traumas. For others, it might not be a great choice. However, I'm glad I picked it up and would recommend it to the right person.
i don't mind smutty or sensual books but here it seems that those scenes not only dominate the narrative but that they are presented in a rather cringe way...so not for me i'm afraid.
In this book we meet Jade, who has lost her sister and finds herself stuck in limbo. She doesn’t really know who she is, what she’s doing, or where to go next. The narrative in this book very aptly describes the feelings of grief, as well as those of loneliness and confusion that often take hold in early adulthood and, whilst the descriptions are poetic and often quite beautiful, the storytelling itself felt quite detached at times. I often felt that the book was missing a natural rhythm and flow. As a concept, this book has so much to offer. I found it difficult to connect with the characters and unfortunately this impacted my reading experience.
I received and E-arc from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Unfortunately, this really didn’t work out for me. I love queer stories and was really excited to pick out one about a Black woman, coming into herself and struggling with grief, but this just wasn’t it.  I thought the writing was disjointed and confusing, and the cheating aspect was really off putting.
I felt Jade cheated under the guise of figuring out her sexual orientation. There’s a way to do this without cheating, and yet that didn’t happen. I can’t do stories about cheating anyways, and the fact that the author tried to hide it by crying polyamory just wasn’t it.
The switching of POVs was jarring and not done well. I was confused as to who’s POV it was at times, because even with the chapter titles, it didn’t stick to that. And I really didn’t care about any of the characters.
As this is a debut novel, I have hope for Turton’s next work, and hope that some of the issues have been fixed before the finished book comes out.