Cover Image: Viva's Voice

Viva's Voice

***Thank you to NetGalley and Kind World Publishing for this ARC in exchange for an honest review***

Viva loves going to work with her dad, who drives a bus for the city. One morning during summer vacation she comes into the kitchen ready to go to work with him, but is told that the bus drivers are now on strike because they want better pay and benefits. Viva asks about the strike and still wants to go with him to the picket line. At first he tells her it is not a place for children, but she ends up having to go with him because there's no one else to watch her. Her father is nervous once they get there because he has to make a speech and he doesn't have a very loud voice, but he puts Viva up on his shoulders and the encouragement of her being there helps him be able to give the speech.

At the end of the book, there is a note from the author that the book was based on her own experience with this as a child, and a brief explanation of what labor unions are.

I can relate to this a little bit because my own father worked in the auto industry, and they went on strike multiple times for these kinds of things too. I never went with him or anything, and I was probably too little at the time to know what it meant. I remember the last time the company went on strike recently, though, as I live fairly close to one of the plants. Each day I would have to drive past it and see all of the workers along the gates with their signs.
What a way to show children how their voices do make a difference and how they can help others.  The book has colorful and bright illustrations along with the story of a brave little girl and her loud voice who helps her quiet dad conquer his fear.  This book has a few words of Spanish mixed into the story and at the back a page explaining how the story came about, an explanation of one of the main themes of the book, and a "talk about it" section to help parents or teachers to really open up a discussion about the themes of the story.
Thank you to the author, Kind World Publishing and NetGalley, for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This children's book explores the concept of work for fair compensation, by unpacking the story of a bus-driver father whose union goes on strike. His young daughter was looking forward to accompanying him on his bus route, and instead goes with him to the picket line and encourages him to give a speech to the strikers. These are not issues that children are usually exposed to, and the author draws from her own family experience to show how important it is to stand up for what you believe in, and what labor rights are. As the gap between the "haves" and the "have-nots" grows ever wider in our society, this book is a great way to introduce these important topics to a young audience. The illustrations are warm and engaging, and emphasize how central the books topics are to our lives.
It is nice to see a girl depicted, as loud, courageous and full of confidence! This isn’t always the (read a lot) case in kids books. It is normally the stereotype boys that are courageous and loud and the girls clever, but quiet. The topic is also a very interesting one, that you rarely see in kids books in general, as its a quite difficult topic to approach. I do however find it very matter of fact story telling, it is not one of those stories that can sweep you of your feet, away to another place and time and then ‘waking' up again into the reality of life. I do have to add that this is a good book to use in an educational setting to approach this difficult subject, however I don’t see this as a bed time story type of book.The Illustrations really do ooze a Latino vibe all the way through, as the colours are warm, using a lot of browns and reds.
An empowering tale for young readers and a great introduction to advocacy. Viva will be a role model for young readers everywhere.
Viva's Voice was such a cute story that showed how a labor strike can look like from a child's eyes. I appreciated that Viva, a young Latinx girl, was encouraged to use her voice (literally and figuratively). Her voice and her brave demeanor are celebrated by her family. The way her Papi broke down what a strike was and why they are doing it was put in words a child could understand, and this would be a good book to include in the classroom if the students were experiencing a strike. I love the inclusion of "talk about it" prompts at the end to help encourage language development and comprehension.
I LOVED this one. My kids were engrossed by the story and the gorgeous illustrations. This story was a fantastic reminder that you're never too young to make a difference in your world.
A great picture book that introduces kids to what union, strikes, and picket line mean. Given how capitalistic the whole world is, and how underpaid and overworked workers are, this is a timely topic for children to learn more about. Viva is a loud and proud Latina girl who goes with her Papi, a bus drive in LA, when his union goes on a strike for better pay and benefits. The way our collective voice can rise above any other noises trying to snatch our voices away is a great way to educate children.

Thank you, NetGalley and Kind World Publishing, for providing me with an eARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
Viva often joins her father at work when she's not at school, because her Papi works as a bus driver and it's lots of fun to go to work with him. But one day he says he won't be driving the bus, because they're doing to do something else - go on strike. The book follows Viva as she joins her Papi on the strike, and learns about unions, protests, picket lines, and the power of uniting for a common goal.

The artwork (by Carlos Velez) is STUNNING and the book should be added to your library for that thing alone. The subject is great, and I'd say this book is a perfect introduction of a complicated topic for kids ages 4-8. The story doesn't have the poetic flow of some children's books, but it's not a lyrical bedtime book, it's a story based on real occurrences and big topics. 4.5/5 stars, and I would absolutely add this to my library!

I was provided an ARC copy of this book through Netgalley. My thanks to the publisher and the author for providing it to me.
I loved this book. This will be one of the first ones I purchase when I become a parent. The artwork was warm and inviting, the writing was charming but still highlighted the importance of unions. My only wish is that we were able to see Viva finding out that the strike worked.
I want to thank NetGalley for giving me a digital copy of “Viva’s Voice” to review.

This book shows how important it is to stand up and speak out about the issues most important to you. Viva’s dad is a bus driver who has to go on strike because he isn’t being paid fair wages. This book serves as a great conversation starter about equity and worker’s rights. It even includes family discussion questions in the back of the book!

I’m not a big fan of this illustration style and that pulled me out of the book a little bit, but the writing mostly made up for it.

I would recommend this book to children whose families are currently striking or might have to strike in the future, so that they can understand what that means and how important it is to speak up and use your voice.
I love a story with a female lead, but to have her use her loud voice was an added bonus. As a Latinx girl, I was often told I was loud and I would have loved to have read an example of a girl like me using her volume for good!
this book contains beautiful illustrations, lovely characters, it talks about an important topic and it's available for kids, the main character Viva is funny and relatable and the relationship she has with her dad is absolutely adorable.
I received an ARC of this through Netgalley for which I am grateful. Viva's voice felt personal to me, not only because of the topic surrounding the book but the connection Viva has with her father. The support and closeness is something many people including myself find comfort in seeing between a child and her dad. The artwork was brilliant, alive, simply beautiful. I really loved the color tones and art style used in this. 4 out 5 stars All of us could find inspiration in being like those bus drivers in the book with loved ones to stand by us and hold our hands when we are unsure about what to do next.
This was a wonderful book to teach about striking and protests. I loved the message about the daughter helping her father, and I think it's so important to see vulnerable adults in children's books!
This book is exactly what I wanted for my daughter. The representation and illustration is beautiful and the story is extremely heartwarming. I was cheering for Viva and her dad as they used their voices to be heard. I love getting to share stories that look different from our life with my daughter and this one is 👌🏼
Representation: 10
Story: 10
Illustration: 10

A book rarely surprises me by representing something I hadn't considered before, but Viva's Voice did. Strikes are part of many families' lives, and this book explains them in child-friendly terms. As a child who joined my parents in a few strikes, I loved the inclusion of Viva by her dad.

** Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for the ARC in return for an honest review. **
I loved this mix of emotional father & daughter relationship and protest/striking history education. Balanced out with vibrant artwork, this was both a powerful and charming picture book and I really enjoyed reading it.
el padre de viva trabaja como conductor de autobuses, un día no va a trabajar porque hay una protesta en su trabajo, viva quiere ir con él.
alzar la voz antes las injusticias es difícil pero justo, hay que ser valientes, viva vive todo eso junto a su padre.

thanks netgalley for a copy of this book.
Thanks to Kind World Publishing and NetGalley for the advanced copy :)

The first thing to catch my eye was the artwork. The beautiful cover instantly drew me in. “Why is there a child sitting on the shoulders of an adult? Is that a protest sign? Is this a children’s book about protesting?! SELECT.”

Viva is such a lovable character! From page one I adored her outgoing and boisterous personality! She is clearly very adored by her family, and loves them very much in return. So when Papi explains that she can’t join him at work due to a strike, she manages to convince him to bring her along ( with the help of Mami ;) )

The way the strike was explained was simple, and effective. The pages that showed the workers on strike were beautiful. The scene with Papi and Viva making a speech was powerful. I hope the workers get everything they demand, but we never really found out. Perhaps you can have a conversation with your kiddo about it! My one slight recommendation would be to put some translations at the back of the book for those who don’t speak Spanish. However, that is a very small request since Google translate is very much a thing for anyone with a smartphone, haha. A stunning children’s book, and I can’t wait to buy a copy upon release! A must recommend to everyone I know who works with children, or has their own.

The overall lesson is important, and I think this quote describes it best:
“One voice alone is quiet. But lots of voices together can make a big noise.”

Be sure to talk with your child, and let them know they can use their voices to change the world one day <3