Cover Image: The Beginner's Guide to Candy Making

The Beginner's Guide to Candy Making

Really interesting book, alot of great advice and recipes for someone interested in Candy Making. I will certainly be buying a copy of this.
I love learning new things to make in the kitchen especially if they are on the sweet side! ”The Beginner’s Guide to Candy Making” by Elizabeth LaBau is full of yummy things to bake, cook and eat including lollipops, fondants, caramels, fudge, truffles and more.

Each one has detailed easy-to-follow, how-to instructions, photos to match, and troubleshooting fixes! The main problem I encountered was not having the equipment I would need in my kitchen. To make these treats, you need to be prepared to invest. If you have it or can buy it, this is a great resource but I haven’t been able to test the recipes out yet. I’m on the hunt for a sugar thermometer! It’s a four out of five on the enJOYment scale.

I received a complimentary copy of the book from Quatro Publishing Group – Quarry through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I love the different candy ideas in this book. I think the photos and all the easy to follow information is great. I can't wait to give some of these sweet treats a try. Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book.

The Beginner's Guide to Candy Making is a bright and fun, easy to follow recipe book for anyone looking to try their hand at making their own sweets/Candy at home!
The book starts off with the equipment and staple ingredients you'll need and covers techniques too.
Each type of sweet/Candy is divided into useful sections and covers: sugar candies, truffles, fudges, caramels, fondant, toffee, chocolates, marshmallows, truffles and fruitnut candies. Each recipe is accompanied by instructions which are easy to understand and follow and a picture of the end result.
This book so got me craving sweets and chocolate as I read it! This would have been perfect for me during lockdown too! I'm going to save some of these recipes that I know my daughters will love and have a go at making them over summer break.
The end of the book has a lovely decorating section with some great finishing touches ideas for the treats you make - this is a great finishing touch to the book!
Thank you NetGalley and Elizabeth LaBau for the ARC of The Beginner’s Guide to Candy Making.  This is a wonderful book that even an experienced candy maker can learn from.  I liked the layout of the book with descriptions of ingredients, equipment and techniques.  There are also sections on troubleshooting for when you run into problems.  There are lots of recipes and beautiful photos.
This is a step by step volume to making your own delicious candy. I made the cashew toffee bars. They were truly the easiest caramel I've ever made and got rave reviews from everyone. In fact once I put them in the fridge they were gone before I could munch on very many. Tempering chocolate is difficult but this cookbook made me less afraid of it. All of the equipment needed is laid out in the beginning and thermometers are a must.

Some other recipes that I hope to try are mango caramels and chocolate marshmallows. The photos make everything look scrumptious and are helpful in the process.
This is a great book and I really enjoyed it. Some seem a little too hard but I can't wait to make some of these recipes!
What a great book about Candy Making! This is a sweet tooth's 7th heaven with all the beautiful pictures and the instructions for making the candy is clear and precise. I can't wait to try a few of the recipes  - although I wished someone could tell me what can be used as a sub for corn syrup.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group-Quarry for an advance electronic copy in exchange for an honest review.
I'm very sad to say I was unable to finish this book. My computer crashed and I have been without. I just tried to redownload the book but it is already archived. I can say I enjoyed what I did see of it, and really wished I could give a full review.
Also, I have to give it a star rating. I'm giving it a 3 based simply on the fact that I didn't get to read it all. The 3 rating does no reflect my full opinion of the book.
The beginners guide to candy making is a very good introductory book. I have definitely learnt some new techniques
A really comprehensive guide to making sweets. Whilst the recipes do have metric equivalents, it is very US centric and includes ingredients such as corn syrup that are not available in the UK. This makes it difficult to recommend.
This is a fantastic guide to making homemade candy! The instructions are easy to follow and the pictures are great. You can learn how to make tons of delicious treats that are perfect for gifts.
This is a very good technical book on the main categories of candy-making.

My only complaint is the art styling of the book. It feels a bit cheap like a self-published book versus one coming from a professional publishing house. Also for such a technical advanced challenging cooking style, its styled like one for kids to use and learn from versus adults making burning delicate caramel. The main art design I dislike the most the top banner.

4 stars for the book content but 2 stars for the design.
Once upon a time I bought a candy thermometer because I got it in my head I was going to make candy. I was convinced I could make my kids something special. When my thermometer arrived I promptly washed it and then threw it in that drawer. You know that drawer the one with the turkey baster you use once a year. Well this thermometer is going to be my new best friend because after reading this book I’m not scared to try anymore.

Broken down into different types of candies each chapter starts with troubleshooting solutions. I cannot wait to work my way through this book. All the recipes are well written with easy to follow directions. Even how to make your own marshmallows!!! Oh my goodness can you even imagine the possibilities?!?
Wow, this is an amazing book of candy making. Beautiful pictures and detail. Awesome recipes. My grandmother loved to make candy and had special knowledge that I was never really able to pick up on (such as how the outside temperatures affected certain candies). This book definitely made me want to start venturing into the art of making candy. A perfect book to have a paperback or hardcover version to keep in your kitchen. Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for allowing me to review.
These beginner books are really quite lovely. Step by step, troubleshooting, and some real gorgeous picture flout the pages. The tips and tricks in the beginning really look inviting enough to try a do it yourself at home candy making.

What did I like? I would definitely recommend this book. Tons of different candy to make yourself and the pictures were great. Really enjoyed looking at how they make salt water taffy. I know we’ve all been to the little shops to watch them stretch it but it’s really nice to see what actually goes into it.

Would I recommend or buy! Yes, if your into making candy this would be a great introduction book. You get to control what actually goes into the candy and it’s eye opening to see how to make your own. A great gift, or a great purchase. Five stars,

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher to read and voluntarily left this review!
This beautiful book will have you making sweet treats for all your friends and families.  Everything you could need to know about how to create hard candies, chocolates, and caramels are included in this book.  There are troubleshooting hints to help you get the perfect results.  There are pictures that show you how to prepare nuts to be added to your chocolates.  And all the great recipes for fudge.  I can almost smell them. And the variety of truffles! I want to try the strawberry balsamic vinegar truffles.  They sound wonderful.  And I think I should be successful making them because of the clear step by step directions.  If you need me I will be in the kitchen trying some lovely creations.
To misuse an old cliché, "If you only own one candy making cookbook, make it this one!" I'm not kidding. This cookbook is more than just a collection of recipes, While it does have heaps of recipes, you'll also have a guide to candy making equipment, an overview of techniques, a collection of online resources, and a really fun section on finishing techniques and candy decorations that'll give your already sumptuous sweets some extra pizzazz.

Because homemade candy can be quite fussy and temperamental, troubleshooting guides are included to help you figure out what might have gone wrong so you can try again with a better chance of success.

The recipes run the gamut of traditional favorites through modern variations which use unexpected flavors and ingredients. There's something for everyone - and I can't seem to get over the fact that there's *three* recipes for lollipops! Will you choose to make Classic, Victorian-esque, or Quite Modern lollies? I want to make all three.

I've not made candy very often in my life, but that may change soon. It helps when someone has your back, and author Elizabeth LaBau makes sure her book won't let you down.

My thanks to Elizabeth LaBau, Quarto Publishing Group – Quarry, New Shoe Press, and NetGalley for allowing me to read a digital advance review copy of this book. This review is my honest and unbiased opinion.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group/Quarry/New Shoe Press for the ARC.  I am voluntarily reviewing this book.  I found this to be an interesting read.  The steps are well written and it provides all the needed information.  My problem is that there are a lot of specialty items, and ingredients.  Things that I just don't have access to at the moment.  I actually don't even have a stove, so for me this was just a looking book.  Enjoyable and makes me wish I had a kitchen to try some of these.  4 stars
A great and inspirational guide to the intimidating world of candy making. It really does break it down into everything you need and need to know. Some exciting recipes and beautiful photos, make this a perfect gift for any creative bakers you know. Or, anyone with a sweet tooth