Cover Image: Her Frozen Cry (Detective Amanda Steele Book 5)

Her Frozen Cry (Detective Amanda Steele Book 5)

The Frozen Cry book 5 in the detective Amanda Steele series. I love this series so before you jump into this book, take some time off and read books 1 to 5

When a local business women Alicia is found dead at a cabin alone all signs point to suicide, however when Amanda arrives she believes there’s more to the story. The case brings Amanda to Tony, one of her old friends before her husband and child were killed. Amanda finds herself struggling with her loyalties to her old friend or to the case.

Amanda story is always full of growth in the character, I fell in love with Poppy 3 books ago and I am still fully in love with that little girl. With all the murder and madness we get a little burst of light when it comes to Amanda’s relationship with Poppy. We get to focus on Poppy and actually how much she is suffering from the death of her parents. It’s great to read just how much Poppy has gone through and how her mental health is being addressed in such a sensitive manor. Amanda and Poppy will heal each other.

The case was a bit crazy if I’m honest, we have Alicia dead who is married to Tony who was Amanda’s best friend and possible love interest but he is now the main suspect for the murder. I had to write a diagram to remember who is who because honestly reading at night I often forget …. A lot. However reading how rule abiding Amanda runs this case it’s quite different to what we are used to. She is torn between the law and loyalty and is trying to find a middle ground that allows for both to be at work. Tony though was dodgy as hell and clearly not a very good friend, I personal would have no loyalties to him but hey that’s just me. Anyway I really enjoyed the different manor in which Amanda approached the case which made this a delight to read, well for a murder investigation anyway. Bodies start appearing and suicide is appearing less and less like the way Alicia dead.

As usual the police procedure is well explained and well written, even the questionable parts. I did guess the killer really early on but mainly because I read crime thrillers all the time and I am quite good now at picking killers, it was a hunch, I stuck with the same suspect and honestly I began doubting myself. I actually found though the fall out to the murderer was great, if you don’t guess just wait for it you’re in for a surprise. The twists and turns of the story will keep you going. As usual the prose is written fantastically. Reading from Amanda’s POV really gives the reader an insight into her state of mind throughout. She is such a badass detective I think I would follow her over a cliff ha :D.

I really enjoyed this book and I love the entire series I am yet to read one that I haven’t enjoyed. I would highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a strong female detective lead crime fiction series. Every book the crimes get more and more inventive, and I love it! This instalment kept me gripped throughout even though I guessed the killer early on. I must say there are some emotional elements of this book when it comes to Amanda’s relationships so keep an eye out for that. I rate Her Frozen Cry 4/5 stars
Thanks to Netgalley, Bookouture and Carolyn Arnold for a digital ARC of Her Frozen Cry in exchange for my fair and honest opinions. This review will be found on goodreads.com/jaswebb and @jazzreadsreviewsrepeats.
The Amanda Steele Series is home to another page-turner that will blow you away! Amanda has undergone a tremendous amount of changes through the series and we're only five books in. Her character development is top notch, giving a perfect pace alongside the crimes that Amanda investigates.

As with any unexplained murder, the initial suspicion settles on the husband. But as we dive deeper into Alicia Gordon's life, the suspect list exponentially grows and with the imagery and plot that Arnold weaves, you will have a hard time making a choice on your number one suspect.

From the moment we met Zoe, I fell in love with the sweet girl. I am happy to see Amanda settling into a comfort zone with the young girl and developing a deeper connection that is starting to resemble more of a mother/daughter duo. The relationship with Trent is also shifting (and I hope in the direction I'm rooting for!). It's subtle, yet adds a tremendous amount to the storyline.

Carolyn Arnold is a master at providing you enough details that you feel like you're riding beside Amanda to solve the case. But as always, she manages to sneak in a twist that leaves you reeling. These books are phenomenal. If you love police procedurals, you're going to want to start this series from book one.

I received a complimentary ARC for reviewing purposes. All opinions are my own.
When a wealthy woman who runs her own business dies of a suspicious death Amanda and Trent get the call. Amanda and Trent go to talk to her husband and surprise! It is one of Amanda's old friends. Maybe a bit more than just casual friends? Amand has problems dealing with the possibility that he could have killed his wife. But the more they investigate, the more she learns about him that she isn't too happy about. But did he kill his wife? There are some major twists in this story, and you won't know the killer's identity until the author is ready for you to know! Very well written story. I voluntarily read an ARC of this book.
Amanda is called to a crime scene in a cabin in the woods. The deceased is found alone and although the crime scene does tell a story, what happened is not immediately clear. What Amanda doesn’t know at the time is that the deceased is a business mogul and she is married to a friend of hers. Needless to say, this complicated the investigation and made it quite personal for Amanda.

Amanda’s character continues to grow on me. Her character is so well developed in both her personal and professional life. I like her working relationship with Trent although I hope it develops into something more as they have such good chemistry. However, I know that might not be ideal for their working relationship. I continue to enjoy Amanda’s life outside work just as much as I love seeing her head the investigations.

This was indeed a complex case. I couldn’t figure out what had happened to the victims until the reveal was made. I enjoyed how twisty the plot was and all the little reveals that built up to the climax. Well-paced, thrilling to the last page and an unsub I couldn’t guess. What a page-tuner!
Detective Amanda Steele investigates the death of businesswomen Alicia.  Alicia’s husband is an old acquaintance of Amanda.  Initially, it looks like suicide, but then Amanda suspects foul play.

Not quite as gritty and fast paced as previous instalments, but an enjoyable read.  Good to see Steele’s character back and her adjustment to caring for adopted daughter, Zoe.  This can be read as a standalone as well as the series.
I love detective Amanda steele and have been following since the beginning. I've been out of reading for a while so it took me longer too get into it than it notmally woild Her frozen cry was enjoyable and it was tough to know who was the murderer. It explores friendships and how the police deal with them which is good.
I absolutely adore this author - her books never disappoint. And this series - wow! Just keeps on getting better. Loved loved loved this book. Could not put it down. Do read this book and series. I promise you'll be hooked.
Even if I wasn't a huge fan of the first book in this series this one kept me guessing and turning pages.
There's a constant suspense and the complex plot is full of twists. it's a dark and gripping story that i enjoyed and kept me on the edge.
Well developed characters and a gripping plot.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
A wealthy woman is found dead, alone, in a remote cabin. Detective Amanda Steele and her partner, Detective Trent Stenson have been assigned the case, but they don’t know if this was a homicide or a suicide. While awaiting the cause of death, they make the death notification to the woman’s family. Amanda is shocked to learn that the woman’s husband, Tony, is someone from her past. She hasn’t seen him since her husband and daughter were killed by a drunk driver seven years ago. There were threats made against the victim who was in the process of selling her very successful business, but who would want her dead? They soon learn that her sleep medication had been tampered with using the drug pentobarbital and she had slowly been poisoned. Who was close enough to her to tamper with her medication…her husband, the nanny, her husband’s ex, her ex, her former college friend or the buyers who wanted her company? When another person dies from the same poisoning, can they find the killer before more of their suspects meet the same deadly fate? An amazing ending! I received an advance review copy at no cost and without obligation for an honest review. (paytonpuppy)
Her Frozen Cry – Carolyn Arnold

Detective Amanda Steele and her partner Trent Stenson are on the scene of an untimely death in a cabin deep in the woods of Gainesville, Virginia. The deceased is a young female who Amanda recognizes as the founder of a popular & profitable cosmetic company, Alicia Gordon. It appears she died alone, shattered wineglass by her side, family portrait tucked underneath the blanket with her.  As Amanda gazes at the framed picture, she is astonished to recognize the young woman’s companion as someone she once knew in high school – and she realizes the case has just become that much more complicated.  With no evidence of a break in, and they key in the cabin with the victim, the Detectives have little to go on. Was this death a suicide – or something more sinister?

As Amanda & Trent await autopsy results, they begin their investigation by learning as much as they can about the victim. Upon arriving at her home, Amanda sees Tony for the first time in years, surprised to learn he and Alicia had recently married. They also learn that she was considering selling her company – and in the event of her death, most of Alicia’s assets would go to Tony, giving him a significant motive. Furthermore, Tony insists that Alicia would not have harmed herself. A call from the medical examiner has the team leaning towards murder…but who…how…and why?

As the duo digs deeper, they learn of a rival cosmetic company – and accusations of a stolen formula being the source of Alicia’s success. She also learns of animosity between Amanda and her ex-husbands & Tony’s alleged dalliance with a nanny – a relationship he flat out lied to Amanda about, putting him right back at the top of the suspect list.  When a second person dies, in a manner startlingly similar to Alicia’s, Amanda & Trend must re-double their efforts to put the pieces together and stop a stone-cold killer in his tracks.

I’ll admit, this one kept me guessing until Amanda made the connection – and that what makes it a good read fore me!  I really enjoy this series and I am curious to see how Amanda and Trent’s characters – and relationship - will continue to grow, both professionally and personally, in the books ahead.  Great read, great series!!

I received this book as an Advance Reader Copy from Netgalley & Bookouture in exchange for an objective review.  Do you love to read?? Visit netgalley.com and start reviewing books today!!
Having read the latest book in the Brandon Fisher series and really liking it, I went into 'Her Frozen Cry' by Carolyn Arnold with high expectations. I am happy to say the author has managed to satisfy my expectations adequately.

'Her Frozen Cry' is the latest in her Detective Amanda Steele series of books. I haven't read the other books in the series and it was a slight handicap considering the frequent references to events occurring in the previous books. But it didn't take away from overall experience with the book, so it doesn't matter much.

Detective Amanda Steele is called in to investigate the murder of Alicia Gordon, the founder and owner of a successful cosmetic company. As in any murder,  the spouse is the first suspect of the Investigative team; but the fact that Detective Amanda Steele knew the victim's husband Tony personally from earlier, makes her question his culpability and widen her investigation to other channels as well.

The murder of another woman in a similar manner challenges Steele's theory of a martial disturbance and all roads lead to the supposed sale of the company. Who killed these women and what's their motive in doing it forms the crux of the story. There are many other small stories branching from the main investigation, elucidating the lives of the various people in Steele's team; the author does a good job of humanizing those people to us. We care for their lives,  their predicaments and feel the need to help them with their troubles. Most importantly, Detective Amanda seems to be having intriguing connections with many people; I quite liked the interactions between her and her colleague/partner Trent.

The story has been written in a typical police- investigational format with some thrill elements thrown in. I can't say I didn't expect where the story was going - the mystery was quite easy to guess, even with the clever red-herrings thrown in. But author Steele has managed to present this all-too predictable story in an interesting package; that makes the book all the more enjoyable and entertaining. This book also has a slightly lighter mood than the other books I have read of the same type and that increases it's likeability too.

I would totally recommend this book for a light, fast-paced and short police investigative reading experience.

Thanks to Netgalley,  the publisher and the author for the ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Thanks to Carolyn Arnold and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of Her Frozen Cry.

This is the second Amanda Steele book that I have read. It has been interesting following Amanda Steele and her partner, Trent, as they solve cases together.

Alicia is found dead in her cabin. It turns out that Tony, Alicia's husband, was a close friend of Amanda's many years ago. Amanda has to keep her personal feelings aside as she and Trent find the murderer. There are several persons of interest in the case and the reader will enjoy following the clues and trying to outguess the detectives.

I enjoy Carolyn Arnold's books and look forward to future titles.
Thank you to Bookouture for letting me take part in this tour and for my copy of this book via Netgalley I am a big fan of the author and I am very excited to have another book in the series. I like the main character and her partner, Trent.

Amanda has been through so much and she is now much happier but still juggling home and work life (aren't we all)This case is quite intriguing and definitely had me stumped. It was fast paced with never a moment to breathe

.Carolyn has an addictive writing style that draws you in and keeps you hooked! If you are looking for a thrilling read then this is one for you.
This is book five in the Detective Amanda Steele series. I have read Black Orchid Girls which is the fourth book. I did find Black Orchid Girls so easy to read without the first three so I had no issue with Her Frozen Cry.

I had no doubts this would be a fantastic book, Carolyn Arnold just keeps bringing superb stories with characters that are authentic and make you want to know them. A crime thriller series that just improves the further the series goes. I always think the one I am reading is the best.. until I read the next one.

This instalment sees Amanda and Trent investigating a case that is personal for Amanda. Will she be able to keep her professional boundaries, or will her feelings take over? A case with plenty of leads that are dead ends and their own personal lives are in the middle of it all, how will they cope?

Carolyn Arnold has again written a twisty, suspense filled story. I found I struggled to put the book down it was such an addictive read. The character development is spot on and does make me feel like they could be actual people. This is another instalment  that had me on the edge of my seat wondering what would come next. A series I do so enjoy!
Thanks to Bookouture and Netgalley for the copy of the book.
OMG !. This is a brilliant story with a shock ending. I was gripped throughout
 I am loving this series,  it gets getter with every book.  Thank you Carolyn.
Her Frozen Cry by Carolyn Arnold is the fifth book the the brilliant Detective Amanda Steele series set in Virginia. I have really enjoyed every book within this series. These books have had me hooked from the very first few pages until the end especially as it has great twists and turns throughout that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat. All the characters are great especially Detective Amanda Steele - she is superb and is a great character.

I highly recommend this series and so looking forward for book 6. - No rush Carolyn.

Big Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book and all these books within this brilliant series. I have loved them..
Pretty forgettable detective story. No suspense, questionable detection strategies, hard going at times and seems to make something out of dubious evidence. Lots going on the life of the main detective ,Amanda.  I personally did not enjoy the writing style, Amanda comes across as a control freak and goes around telling possible witnesses and or suspects crucial details about the case.
Thank you to Net Galley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Her Frozen Cry by Carolyn Arnold is another highly readable Detective Amanda Steele novel with Amanda and Trent investigating the demise, probably poisoning, of Alicia Gordon, owner and founder of the highly successful New Belle cosmetics, at a county rental cottage where the cleaner had found her upon arriving to prepare for the next guest. There were New Belle financials on the couch with her as well aa a family portrait in her hand. Amanda was shocked to see the picture of a former friend, Tony Bishop, included, apparently the deceased's husband. Tony and his wife, Claudia, had been friends of Amanda and her husband, before his death. He had also been her boyfriend, for about 5 minutes, in high school. She was shocked. They were going to go and do the family notification. Then she should return to headquarters and remove herself from the case. She didn't plan to do that, though. This was going to be a difficult case.

Amanda is a multi-layered character who has lived through a lot. The loss of her husband and daughter in a car wreck had just about done her in. The discovery that she had a younger half-brother, a souvenir of an affair that her father had with someone she had to work with daily, had been another blow. Her adopting Zoe, who had been part of a case, one in which Zoe had witnessed the murder of her father and heard her mother's, was bringing her back to life. She has a lot going on. Then, this case. It was a complicated investigation, with all signs pointing to Tony, until they weren't. It was full of twists and turns and pulling on Amanda's heart. What a terrific read.

I was invited to read a free e-ARC of Her Frozen Cry by Bookoutre, through Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are mine. #netgalley #bookoutre #carolynarnold #herfrozencry
Thank you to #NetGalley for my advance copy of #HerFrozenCry by #CarolynArnold

This is the fifth book in the Detective Amanda Steele series.
I haven’t read any of the previous titles (yet) but the book worked perfectly well as a stand alone.
When Alicia, a beautiful rich woman is found dead in a remote cabin Amanda and her partner Trent are called in.
Things become complicated when Amanda goes to see the relatives and finds that Alicia’s widower is an old friend she hasn’t seen for 7 years.
Can she keep her objectivity or will their previous relationship affect her judgement.
A thoroughly good read that I struggled to put down.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Amanda Steele has her hands full trying to solve the case of murdered businesswoman, Alicia. Alicia's husband used to be friends with Amanda, but he distanced himself after Amanda's husband and daughter died - something she has trouble forgiving him for. However, Tony Bishop seems to be a big, fat, liar and so being distant is the least of his issues.

Trent is Amanda's partner and he is quite willing to believe that Tony is behind the murder of his wife, as well as a rival of hers. He is a really supportive partner to Amanda when she most needs one, when her father-figure collapses at work and they don't know what is going to happen with him.

I loved that Amanda was being shown as a single, working mother, trying to juggle everything and still being a good mum to Zoe, and a good daughter to her parents, as well as solid police detective.

Good book, really enjoyed it. I did not figure out who the villain was until the author revealed it!

4.5 stars from me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture.