Cover Image: 15-Minute Drawing: Getting Started

15-Minute Drawing: Getting Started

This is a sweet book, full of beautiful pictures. The author goes to the trouble of describing the best tools to use for drawing and the qualities of different pencils and pens. For a beginner however, as most drawings are only shown in 3 or 4 steps from rough circles to full on detailed pictures, it wasn't quite enough for me. Still I think others will love the wide variety of lovely things to draw and is worth a read.
I received a temporary digital copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
This is an excellent resource for beginners -- materials, techniques and letting go of perfectionism.
As someone who hasn't taken a drawing class since high school a decade ago...this book was AMAZING. Really helped me to feel more at ease about the idea of drawing and the practice. Highly recommend to anyone even those of us who can't draw a straight line and stick figure.
I love getting to review advance copies of books, especially any of the art and craft ones.  Thanks to NetGalley, Quarto Publishing Group USA, and Walter Foster Publishing for allowing me to read this great book.

15 MINUTE DRAWING: GETTING STARTED, by Erin McManness.  This is a great book for artists of all levels.  Each project is fairly easy and progresses by building skills as you go.

I love to draw and I practiced many of the items in the book and felt really please with the outcome.  Everything is described and explained clearly and I can see where people of all ages will really like this book.  The projects would also be easy to adapt to teaching to a group or classroom.

5 stars!!!
This book shows you how to get started drawing by making a simple sketch using examples and going from there. It doesn't have to be intimidating to learn to draw, This book makes it quick and easy.
This is an awesome guide to beginners sketching. It has sketches in three different to guide beginners to impressive looking sketches. It depicts from lettering flourishes and doodles to flowers, houses and Eiffel tower .

I recommend this to anyone who has ever wanted to try their hand at drawing.

Thank you netgalley, Walter Foster Publishing and Erin McManness for letting me read this book for my honest review.
Fantastic and creative book to help you getting started in drawing or it can spark your creativity and give you some new ideas.   This book is great for bullet journals, planners, scrapbookers, card makers or just daily journaling.   It starts at the beginning and the basic supplies that you need to draw and the different types of pens and pencils that you can use.   You learn simple drawings to basic layout designs.  I love all the border and lettering layouts and how to establish the location of each of the components.  There are so many different types of nature items that you can draw and I think once you know the basics you can begin to create your own designs.   The complex florals were my favorite and it is so much fun to sketch them out and paint them with watercolor or acrylic paints.  However, the succulents and desert plants are a lot of fun too!    Once you are past the basics, the potential for the creative drawing is mind blowing.   I love having a refresher coarse and the inspiration when I don't really feel creative.   I can't wait to purchase this book to add to my shelf.

Thank you Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group for the opportunity to read and review this creative book.
Wonderful introduction to drawing. Instructive and easy to follow. You feel like an expert when you’re done!
Awesome book with lots of drawing step by step tutorials. Exercises ranges from flowers, birds, animals and buildings. Very good book to let go of fear of drawing
As an artist and painter, I always enjoy reading books about how to improve my techniques. I downloaded "15-Minute Drawing: Getting Started", and was tickled to see the author, Erin McManness, includes pages and space in her book to actually practice along side her instructions and tutorials.  Even though I already draw, I found useful techniques to use and the book also sparked my imagination.
This guide appears to be part of a series, and it is a series I love!  I can see the daily 15 minutes developing skills very quickly, to the extent that soon the 15 minutes will be something the reader wants to extend as they get lost in the magic of creativity!

This is a guide to keep and refer back to, with lots of projects to enjoy along the way.

Featured is a decent introduction, covering all the basics equipment needed, in addition to techniques.

Once the basics have been mastered, projects are introduced.  These come under the headings of 'leaves and flowers', 'city buildings', 'animals and insects' and 'everyday life'.  These projects are lovely, well explained and sure to inspire.

I enjoyed this book and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

My thanks to NetGalley, author and publisher for the opportunity to review this book in exchange for an advance copy.
This was perfect. I sat down with my daughter who is 13 and together we read it and tested out some of the techniques. It’s a great short how to draw book that provides so much more. It’s easy to follow instructions and easy to find media makes this a book for all ages truly as well as all abilities. Whether your just starting out or If your looking to dust off your skills and transition back into drawing you will enjoy this and find it easy to follow. You may even pick up a few things I know I did. It was a true pleasure to be able to read this book. I look forward to testing out more of these skills I learned.
I thought this book was brilliant, it was exactly what I was after as I have just started drawing myself, so it came at the perfect time.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
OKay, thank you Erin for literally helping me doodle at work. I will be forever grateful for when I'm stuck in meetings but also feel like making a masterpiece. I can barely draw a straight line but I loved doing this.
🌟🌟🌟💫

I cannot draw to save my life... or so I have been made to think. I can do Picasso-like stuff but a self portrait, bowl of realistic looking fruit etc...yeah..no.

But, art is all about interpretation (and imho, a pair of balls to sound convincing enough that you believe in your creation *lol*)

This gave me some hope..but I did feel a little overwhelmed when the page said to draw the Big Ben. Erm...

Will come back to it during the break... wish there were a few more calligraphy pages.
I received a gifted advance reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

15-Minute Drawing: Getting Started, is a great starting guide book for anyone to use to start learning how to sketch and draw. The beginning of the book gives advice on tools to use such as pencils, pens, rulers etc and then goes on to show how to shade. I liked that every project has a page next to it that you can have a go at the illustration yourself using the page opposite as a guide. There are step by step instructions on what to do, but these I felt let the book down as they weren't as detailed as I'd hoped they'd be.
I enjoyed the pages on lettering and really wish I had a physical copy of this book to have a go at.
This is a useful book to learn how to sketch animals, buildings, flowers and much more.
This is a really inspiring and practical guide to drawing common items.  It breaks down the drawings into simple steps, with space to practice new skills.
I have very little experience drawing.  I was drawn to this book with its promise in the title: quick drawings and help getting started. The title was completely accurate. Each drawing is quick and easy to follow.  I loved seeing how compositions were sketched out before detail was added, helping me see how an artist can check their balance before fleshing out a drawing.  I spent a few afternoons jumping between the different sections of the books, trying out drawing landscapes, floral bouquets, skylines, practicing my hand lettering, border doodles, and more.  Overall a great guide to breaking down ideas for drawings and getting started.
Ideal for people who want to make elaborate bullet journal layouts!  The practice space is kind of ludicriously inadequate - it would have been better used for more instruction, any serious student will be working on this separately.  Reasonably good introduction although nobody is going to really "learn to draw" from this without boatloads of practice, of course.  I appreciated the inclusion of architectural drawings - most things like this are all decorative elements and flowers, sometimes animals.
This is an excellent, if short, introduction to drawing for beginners, amongst whom I count myself. Some years ago, I studied art at school (if I say it was O level, that should give some idea of how long ago it was!), I enjoyed the subject and could draw to a reasonable standard, but I didn't continue with it. My drawings now look more like those of a ten year old. Or they did, until I found this book. There are some techniques here which came back to me as I was reading, but a lot of this is new to me (well, either that or my memory is failing!). After reading and following the techniques, I was reasonably pleased with the outcome and can absolutely see a massive progression from a month or so ago. If you are new to drawing, this is a brilliant place to start, and I would highly recommend it.