Cover Image: A Tidy Ending

A Tidy Ending

A good thriller, exceptionally well wrapped up, uncomfortable as for a large part of the story it hinges on a  character being picked on, and taken advantage of for their intelligence / perceived neurodiversity , and it was relentlessly punching down and using social awkwardness as a punchline.

Compulsively readable and the twist is redemptive,  it not enough to take the rest of the book out of my mind?
I really enjoyed listening to this book!
I enjoyed the narration very much and I laughed through the book. There were some great one liners and mum was hysterical!

In the middle it became a little confusing when listening to it in spurts, but it soon became apparent.

A great story, a new author to me, will look at previous books.

Definitely recommended
The first thing that I must mention is that the cover art is quite deceiving. Bright, colourful, birds and flowers! Looks like a country-side cozy mystery or even romance novel, don’t you agree? Only afterwards you recognise that some of the elements are present in the story, but not as one maybe expects. It is just a hint of what’s to come, that things aren’t always what it seems to be at first glance.

“A Tidy Ending” is mainly set in a quiet estate and suburb in Yorkshire.
The main character, Linda, is indeed a very interesting woman. Because the story is told only from Linda’s point of view, we get into her state of mind and way of thinking right from the start. She is socially awkward, naïve and don’t have a lot of friends. In many ways, she reminded me of Molly in Nita Prose’s “The Maid”. The OCD, the quirky observations of human interactions, the misinterpretation of social clues – very much like someone on the spectrum, I thought?

She is married to Terry, who after a couple of years of marriage takes her very much for granted and doesn’t really take any of her quirks and peculiarities to heart. For some reason, every time he said “Linda”, I had Mr Brittas’s voice in my head!

There are two timelines present as well, a slow reveal of Linda’s past experiences – that you only get little teasers of initially, and her current situation.

This book is the perfect example of having an unreliable narrator (now I know what the recommend the next time I come across this prompt on a Goodreads challenge). So much so that, from a couple of reviews I saw, readers either love or hate Linda – there’s no in-between.

I found her eccentric, and really enjoyed her unique observations of everyday life and people, as well as the dark humour present this book.

The author is such a brilliant storyteller and the way she allowed us deeper and deeper into Linda’s back-story and deeper psyche was simply fantastic. I am keen to check out “The Trouble with Goats and Sheep” as well.

This was a 5-star read for me!

Thanks to NetGalley/ HarperCollins UK Audio, HarperCollins/Jonathan Ball Publishers for the gifted copies
Linda is a private woman who enjoys helping others … she dreams of a different life, being someone else entirely. One day when another woman goes missing, she’s enthralled into the case and finding out the truth… or is she withholding the truth from the audience?

An excellent thriller that left me guessing the whole way.
Rating - 4.5 rounded off to 5

A mild form of a mystery thriller that feels pleasant, cozy yet at the same time, cleverly hides all things sinister.

Synopsis –

Linda leads a dull, ordinary life in the quiet suburbs, having fled from her dark childhood in Wales. Her husband Terry annoys her with his shabbiness, which doesn’t help her OCD. Linda craves a good social life, glamourous lifestyle and wants nothing more but to fit in - just like the previous occupant of her house, Rebecca Finch. As she makes it a mission to track down and befriend Rebecca,  the secrets start spilling and bodies keep piling. Linda’s life now seems to change for good.

Review –

I thoroughly enjoyed this as an audiobook narrated by Lissa Berry. Thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK, Audio for the ALC!

First of all, I want to applaud the narrator. Lissa does a great job of bringing Linda’s character to life. The pace, flow and voice modulation seemed to reflect Linda’s personality perfectly, with all her quirks and eccentricities – making listening a joyful experience.

It is Linda’s character that draws you to this book like quick sand. Bored with the sheer domesticity of her life, a dreary marriage to an uninteresting and irksome husband, she can only obsess about something more attractive.

I loved Linda for all that she is. The author punctuates her characterization with a keen sense of observation, her deepest thought processes, snide and cheeky remarks, humorous, witty and candid opinions about all the things and people around her. Although I found her strange initially, she certainly grew on me slowly.

Furthermore, Linda’s mother Younis’ character brought its own flavor to the emerging plot. Her influence on Linda all through childhood and their unconventional relationship almost shapes who she has become.

With her OCD, Linda’s fixation about Rebecca and the lifestyle she dreams about both seem to overstep the acceptable threshold. As she decides to revisit her past to right the wrongs, the murders begin to threaten this little town and thus we soon reach this “tidy” ending.

True to its name, the ending is what takes the main spotlight. Cannon pulls it off so immaculately indeed and that “aahh” moment is every bit worth the ride.

The audiobook includes an exclusive interview between Lissa and the author at the end. I really appreciated her ideas behind her characters and storyline imaginings, as well as how she came to work backwards from this “ending”.

Highly recommended to cozy mystery lovers, especially on audio!
This was an incredibly twisty thriller. I loved the dual time line and I was on tenter hooks until the final moment wondering what the main character was actually like. I thought the narrator did an amazing job of conveying a character who was not as she first appeared. There was so much complexity to the character and it will certainly stick with me for a long time. I really want to read more by this author!
This was a pleasant listen, but it took me a while to get into and I wasn't a fan of Linda and thought the end was inevitable. Others will find the intriguing tale appealing.

I'd definitely read the author's other books based on this one.
It took me a while to get into the story as it was a slow burner, but I loved the character of Linda. There were some excruciatingly painful moments where she misunderstood a situation, and her internal thoughts were amusing and sometimes heartbreaking. Reminiscent of Elinor Oliphant, there are some wonderfully dark comments which made me laugh. With a twist at the end, it's an unusual cozy mystery with a serial killer on the loose!

Thank you to the publisher, author and NetGalley for a chance to listen to the audiobook.
A Tidy Ending by Joanna Cannon is a fascinating story about the murder of young women. There were a few good twists to the storyline that all come together at the end. Very clever and unexpected ending. It’s a funny book, dark and enjoyable.

This is a great book, nice easy read for when life gets to insensitive, this book makes you feel warm inside.

I can see this book being a beat seller keep a eye out for Amazon best seller list.
I loved the tone of this and Linda. It was refreshing to hear about a very 'ordinary' protagonist. Though not everything is at it seems. I did guess what those things were, but it didn't alter my enjoyment. Highly recommended.
4.5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Thankyou #netgalley #joannacannon #harpercollinsaudio for the arc copy of this book for a honest review.
.pacing was abit slow on the story.not as original as she has done with her writing style but she did amazing in the story.

Overall it was a 4.5⭐️ .
Narrator was amazing too.

❤️Shaye.reads
I loved the narration and felt real warmth to Linda, stuck in an unhappy relationship, when a series of murders start to happen she becomes very interested. The writing is suburb and seeing the world through Linda’s eyes is heartwarming with its innocence, very much recommend
I listened to this book on audio and I really liked the narrator.
This book took me by surprise, I was very much invested in Linda, but the ending took me completely by surprise. For me it flipped what was already a good book into a great book. This book shows how people can be more than they initially appear and you really shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover.
Unfortunately I was persuaded to try this following many five star reviews - initially I found the dark humour quite funny but have to be honest and say after reaching  26% of the book, I have  finally given up.  I found that having listened to a quarter of this book I was no longer interested and felt that I had got this far and as of yet nothing had really happened very slow and dragged out and no longer held my interest.
Can you have a genuinely funny novel about a serial killer? The rave reviews for Joanna Cannon’s third novel would answer that with a resounding yes!!

We are in suburbia and murder is afoot. Enter Linda our narrator. This was an audiobook for me & Lissa Berry @melysbee had a very Cardiffian accent - indeed the author made Linda Welsh as a result of hearing an early reading by her!

Linda doesn’t have the happiest of lives. Always on the outside & craving friends - most reviewers love her. For me, to be honest, I wanted to shake her!! She is so positive in the face of so so many rejections. She was unlike the feisty Welsh women I know!!! But as a characterisation she is so well drawn … & wait for that ending!

What makes this book for me is the sublime writing:

To describe her evil mum: “the kind of person who had far more coasters than people she knew”
To describe her small life: “alone with the smell of a thousand other empty plates to come …. the washing machine spinning out the soundtrack of our lives”

With her writing @drjocannon spins out a creepy, claustrophobic suburbia that I’m not sure you’d want to live in. But it is so well described you can picture every detail, every minor cast member.

And what about that Tidy Ending? Well it is very tidy! Very clever - a book you want to go back through to comb your mind for all the signposts your first read sailed by 😊
An absolutely beautifully written and read novel, filled with the author's trademark insights, empathy and black humour. I love the way Joanna Cannon writes and here the narrator, Lissa Berry, magnificently brings Linda's world to life. The characterisation is so well done and the narrator really captures the strengths of the author's writing- the dialogue and the observations of daily life which really resonated with me and made me smile. The author's love for humanity once again shines through and the narrator portrays this perfectly.
One of my favourite listens of the year and I was sad when it ended. Highly recommended
An intriguing thriller with lots of twists and turns to keep you thinking throughout.

Narrated by seemingly downtrodden Linda who survived a traumatic event in her childhood and now seems to be living in the neighbourhood besieged by a serial killer. The tale introduces us to her boredom with her domestic situation; husband Terry who seems more interested in what's on TV than her and her attempts to make friends with firstly her boss, Tamsin, and then the woman who seems to have previously occupied her current home Rebecca.

Weaving multiple story lines into a reveling ending, this is a great story of revenge and plotting with multiple well-crafted red herrings and possibilities. Leaving you possibly with a few questions towards the end, this is a great book which reminds you that things aren't always what they seem.
This book is told from the point of view of Linda, a 42 year old, part-time charity shop worker, and a splendid housewife who loves to clean. She is married to Terry, but their marriage is somewhat stale, it is clear that she finds her husband a bit annoying.

Linda is socially awkward, she doesn’t fit in but she desperately wants to – she is a good observer of how others react in certain situations and she tries to copy that behaviour.

In her local area, two women have been murdered and the press reckon the cases are connected. Linda listens to the news with huge interest, as opposed to her husband Terry who according to his wife ‘doesn’t like the news’. Terry seems to keep strange hours at work, disappearing in his van for ages, and one day whilst unpacking donations at work, Linda discovers a leather jacket that looks just like Terry’s. Upon closer inspection, she realises it is her husband’s jacket… Why would he donate goods to a charity shop behind Linda’s back? Has he something to hide?

One day, a shopping catalogue comes through the letterbox and Linda immediately opens it without realising it was addressed to someone else, a woman called Rebecca Finch. As Linda and Terry recently moved into their house, she quickly realises that Rebecca must have been the previous occupant. Linda is desperate to find more information on Rebecca… Is it verging on obsession?

You’ll have to read this book for yourselves to find out. I loved Linda as a character, and Lissa Berry’s narration has brought the character alive for me.

The book is told entirely from Linda’s perspective: we get to find out her sad childhood which she and her mother tried desperately to leave behind in Wales. We find out that Linda wants more from her life, she wants to be liked, she wants to be just like Rebecca.

I found Rebecca’s behaviour towards Linda appalling, some of the comments she made to her were cruel. There was some dark humour thrown in, as Linda tried to explain her new friend’s behaviour to herself.

I also liked Linda’s mother – she was such a force, a formidable woman, and yet a bit oppressive and very critical towards Linda. As she didn’t have any siblings, Linda and her mother are very close, their bond is clearly distinct.

I was listening to this audiobook each spare minute I had, it was so addictive. I wanted to find out what would happen to Linda and Rebecca, and whether the killer would be uncovered.

Just when I thought I had it all figured out, Cannon threw in a few twists along the way, which made me gasp. Let me just say that the title is extremely apt!

I definitely recommend this book. This was my first one by Joanna Cannon, but it won’t be my last. I plan to read her previous books.

Thank you to Harper Collins for approving my NetGalley request to listen to this audiobook. It’s hugely appreciated.
I enjoyed the story and the narrator of this book but it didn’t grab my attention.  The story itself started slow but was easy to drop  in and out of.

The addition of the q&a with the author and narrator was a good touch though.