Cover Image: Mad about You

Mad about You

I enjoyed this book. I really loved Harriet as a character, I felt that you could help but to root for her.
I listened to the book on audio and I loved the narrator.
There were a couple of sensitive topics in this book, such as emotional abuse, which I have been through myself and thought was handled really well but also very accurately. I found it quite hard to listen to that part, but it also really moved me.
Another great book from Mhairi McFarlane, particularly enjoyable on audio.  Easy to get straight into, I was immediately rooting for Harriet and invested in the storyline. Highly recommend, 5 stars
An easy listen. obvious storyline but still good nonetheless - Narrator was right for the story. I would recommend for a beach listen.
Absolutely loved this book.  Adored the characters & brilliant story…I would actually love a sequel to this book.
I listened to this as an audiobook and really enjoyed the overall plotline. We begin with a wedding photographer who does not believe in marriage. We do not know that when we first encounter her, but we get more information on what she is facing with a particularly awkward wedding scenario.
From that point, we move ahead to Harriet and her personal conundrums. She makes her thoughts on anything quite clear, and the narrator does a fantastic job of ensuring we 'feel' the same things as she does at that moment. It is absurd to see the kind of people she faces, but I know from experience that some people behave with impunity solely based on the fact that some behaviour is so over the top that people are caught off guard and can do nothing about it!
The best part of this book was facing the concept of people judging others without the complete facts. Sometimes I feel watching too many movies or even reading books makes us want to do a Miss Marple and identify people with others that we have encountered before. I'm definitely guilty of that more times than I can count. This seemingly light story focuses a lot on that and slips in such serious twists in ways that we see coming but still feel embarrassed at having taken the easy way out to like/dislike a character purely based on the scenes we have seen before us.
The narrative takes turns, moving on to more serious things and giving us a lighter moment or two in between. The final dramatic scenes seemed a little too much so for the tone of the book, but I am sorry to say that I almost thought it would go worse than it actually did.
I think this story would interest people who have had relationships (romantic or otherwise) that seemed toxic on reflection but not during. It is the kind of romantic plotline that can be discussed at various levels. I was so caught up in listening to it that I made up more chores and even went on long walks to finish it. The romance is slow but works well with the whole picture.
I received an ARC thanks to NetGalley and the publishers, but the review is entirely based on my own listening experience.
This is my favourite book of the year so far. I was instantly drawn in and couldn't stop listening.

The book is mainly about Harriet who is a wedding photographer and her relationships, not just romantic but also with her friends. It is very well written and covers some difficult subjects. I don't want to give anything away but Scott seems an unredeemable bad guy.

It is also amusing and realistic. I loved that it was set in Leeds as I am local and could picture the places mentioned.

I liked the narrator, although I thought that the accent was more Lancashire than Yorkshire but maybe the Huddersfield accent sounds like that.

This is not the first book I have listened to by this author and definitely won't be the last.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Collins Audio for my copy. I can confirm that this is an honest review.
Wow what a journey this book takes you on , I've never read any of Mhairi  books before  so I'm very glad I got to read this .

The story starts out with are main character Harriet who is a wedding photographer ,yet she never wants to get married herself I say do what you want with your life , but her boyfriend Jon has other ideas he asks her to marry him at his parents 40th wedding anniversary romantic not !! Jon has known from the beginning that she never wanted to get marred yet mad this very public and well Harriet said yes out of embarrassment  , it was short lived thankgod cause he was a bit of a wet blanket in my eyes ,so Harriet has to find somewhere to live ,that when we meet Cal Clarke  he has a one bedroom with ensuite to rent and well Harriet life has to start over .

I totally loved Harriet character development she smart , very witty , she has he floors but who doesn't you see her iron out a lot of them , she a woman who all women I think would relate one time or another .

the book its self is brilliant its not your normal romance story I liked that it has its dark side to if you can deal with that , there grief , cheating , control , toxic past relationships , but there also the very funny moments which made me belly laugh . its all very much real life and I think Mhairi hit the nail on the head , its the journey not the happy ending  .we are all human after all and she really hits home with that in this book .

if you enjoy a bit of girl power , one sided romance, a few belly chuckles then this is for you .
Romance isn’t my go-to genre but I must tell you that I honestly enjoyed every line of this!

The story is very nice to begin with. It’s basically about relationship treatment and power games.

The characters are so real and relatable and seriously raising a lot of relationship concerns.

The writing is very real and genuine. The pace of the book is so nice and the story feels to flow keeping you constantly hooked in the plot.

If you’re into romance, definitely give this a chance!
I listened to this book while I was doing my gardening, and I loved it!  It was a breath of fresh air for me, and I found it uplifting, funny and heartwarming.

The main character is Harriet, who is a wedding photographer.  After splitting up with her long term boyfriend, she moves into a new house with some new people, one of them being a man called Cal.  Over time, they become very good friends.  I really liked both of these characters, especially Harriet, who I grew quite fond of.

The audiobook narrator was great, with a nice voice, and she was perfect for the job.

This is a really lovely book, which I highly recommend.

Many thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Firstly, I would like to thank the publisher and Netgalley for allowing me to read and review this book as an eARC.

Mad for you is a brilliant women fiction book with a sprinkle of romance. The female lead although sometimes ditsy felt relatable and understood all her actions with her character, I loved the friendship between the females in this book. I think this book gives such great insight into women groups and how they can support you though everything from a very emotionally abusive ex and a relationship that is emotionally unattached. I liked cal in this book and his friends he was very calm and collected and I loved when he came to her rescue but not really because he just held her back which is what I loved in his character. The pacing in this book was beautiful and felt realistic although there was some very funny scenes and comedic in this book.
This is my first audio book i've listen to and one by this author and I absolutely loved it!
I won't lie, it was a bit of a slow burner, but I think that was just because I was getting used to the narrative. Once i had got into the storyline, i couldn’t wait for each new chapter to start.
I really didn't know what I was expecting when I started listening to this book, but I definitely was not prepared for the amount of girl power it had!
I found myself laughing out loud so many times and on verge of tears the next second.
This book had some difficult topics written into the story, i was so proud how they were dealt with,well done Mhairi McFarlane !
I absolutely loved this audio book. The story is moving, emotional, down to earth, funny - just every emotion!! I couldn't stop listening. An amazing read from start to finish.
I went into this book thinking it was going to be another romance with a twist, but let me tell you it was so much more. This book is beautiful story of women coming together and supporting one another, of building yourself back up after an emotionally abusive relationship and a really candid exploration into blame culture. This book really hit home with me and think I McFarlene did a stunning job of narrating Hannah through her past relationship and really highlighted how difficult it is to speak up, or whether or not you should, after living through this kind of abuse. I honestly didn’t want or need anything else.

The audio narration was perfect, the accent was perfectly captured and I loved the whole experience.
I’d like to thank NetGalley and Harper Collins for approving me for an ARC of this audio book.

I absolutely loved this book! The narrator was fantastic and made the sort an absolute pleasure to listen to.

There were enough twists in the story to keep you enthralled, the author obvious isn't afraid to cover sensitive and true to life concepts but in a sensitive way.

Brilliant - would definitely recommend!!
I devoured this book, I couldn’t stop reading! A light-hearted romance which, granted is a bit predictable, but touches on some really hard topics, including emotional abuse and gaslighting. I would also add that Harriet’s character growth throughout the book is a real driver of a lot of the story and I love how empowering it was to read. The characters were well-developed and the plot line very engaging. My first but not my last Mhairi McFarlane book.
Mhairi McFarlane never fails, and Mad About You is no exception.

One thing I adore about Mhairi’s writing is that it always covers sensitive and true to life concepts accurately and sensitively.

The audiobook was fantastic, really enjoyed the narrators take on the story and found it kept me occupied whilst doing the chores around the house.

Had me grinning from ear to ear one moment and then misty eyed the next, a really fantastic piece of writing.
Narrator 5 stars

Story 4 stars
This certainly isn't your normal contemporary romance novel and that's what I enjoyed most about it. It delt with some raw and current issues.
Definitely worth reading/listening to.
Mad About You is my first McFarlane book, but it most certainly won’t be the last. I really enjoyed the I really story, the characters and, particularly applicable to the audiobook, the northern accent - it made an entire story feel more authentic and cozy.
I’d like to thank NetGalley and Harper Collins for approving me for an ARC of this book.

From the synopsis you might think that this is a love story and in some ways it is. Mad About You follows the story of Harriet, a wedding photographer, who has just ended her long term relationship to Jon. From the minute Harriet broke things off with Jon I knew I was going to like her. This is a woman who knows her own mind and though she wasn’t cruel to Jon she was firm whilst try to remain friendly.

This break up is what leads her to moving into Cal’s rented room. Lets just say that things got off to a shaky start with these two and there were more than a few laugh out loud moments along the way! It was obvious from the beginning that these two would end up together but like I said the romance is only a small part of this story.

I also have to give a mention to Harriet’s best friend, Lorna. Every woman out there needs a friend like Lorna, she’s brutally honest but fiercely loyal. She’s the kind of friend that would drop everything she’s doing to help you but cross her and you’ll live to regret it!

As the story progresses we learn more about Harriet and why she is so cautious with relationships. Mhairi McFarlane tackles difficult subjects such as gas lighting, coercion and abuse without making the reader feel depressed as well. It’s really important to shed more light on these topics and help not just those involved feel that they can talk but help those who haven’t experienced it understand more.

There were moments of tears, times when I was grinning from ear to ear and one particular moment when I fist pumped the air from pure satisfaction! This was my first Mhairi McFarlane but it definitely won’t be my last.
What a lovely story! I absolutely loved it and listened to it in one day!

Harriet, a 34 year old wedding photographer, has been with her boyfriend John for 4 years when he suddenly proposes in front of his entire family during his parent’s anniversary dinner. Harriet, put on the spot says yes, only to realise that she has no future with Jon and to break up with him an hour and a half later.

Harriet then moves into a house share with Cal, without realising he’s the runaway groom from one of her weddings. Cue a series of will they, won’t they as their attraction becomes stronger and cleare.

Harriet is a wonderful character, life isn’t always kind to her, but she’s able to pick herself up and ride the worst life throws at her.
The emotional abuse story is dealt with tact and sensitivity and I found some of those chapters very emotional.

The narrator also does a great job and makes the story a pleasure to listen to.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for letting me review this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.