Cover Image: Okay Then That's Great

Okay Then That's Great

A quick and easy read that I found myself picking up after a long day to unwind. The characters are beautifully written and I came to love them within the first few pages and was rooting for them all the way to the end. At times I wanted to stop reading because I just wanted the experience to go on for longer.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
There are some moments when you hate the characters and the writer, there are some moments when you love the characters and the writer. It's confusing, gripping, very funny and very sad.
It's a complex story, it makes you wonder if you understood what you read and keeps you hooked.
Please read it.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Ohmygosh where do I even begin?
I spent about the first 80% of these pages thinking what is going on? and in a wonderful state of confusion, eager to get to the bottom of this.
All of characters have strange quirks and definitely don't help in the jigsaw pieces coming together.

This has so many subject matters portrayed and it is so cleverly done.

Thought provoking, powerful, addictive.
Heartfelt and moving… For several months Marnie, a middle-aged poet and mother, has experienced sightings of her long-dead identical twin sister, Perdita, across London. As a consequence, and due to her crippling writer's block, she has sought the help of octogenarian Harley Street shrink, Schlap, to work through her problems. Not least her repeated dreams of being a man.

Schlap has problems of his own though, having recently suffered a silent stroke which has affected his memory. Or is he more aware of reality than Marnie herself?

Marnie's long-suffering partner and their three teenage kids are not helping matters, either. Neither is Marnie's bohemian Alpha-course attending mum, her diabetic chef dad, nor the inquisitive family dog. Perhaps Marnie's encounter and blossoming friendship with a woman who she thinks is the living embodiment of long-dead author Katherine Mansfield will provide the key to unlock her mind.Will Marnie's writing be liberated from its prison? Is she losing her mind? Will the price she has to pay be bigger than the sum of its parts? And does the previous sentence even make sense? All will be revealed...
This book is like nothing I have ever read before, and I reckon I will be thinking about it for a long time to come. It was simultaneously sad, funny and incredibly frustrating at times. I don't know whether there is a correct interpretation as to the events of this book. and if there was I must admit that I am none the wiser, but as a portrayal of grief, madness and psychoanalysis it was excellent.

The one downfall for me was the vague mentions of the pandemic, which felt cheesy and glib; perhaps it is too recent to be used as plot point?
There are so many words I could say about this book. It’s funny, I laughed out loud so many times. It’s sad, I cried more than once. It’s emotional. It portrays that ongoing forever grief and tragedy exactly as it is.

I’ll remember this book as long as I live. It’s one of those that has really reached inside of me. It’s heartbreakingly beautiful.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC in return for an honest and unbiased opinion.