The book shines at its silly, playful moments: aliens trying out a new dance move or sharing a barked conversation with a dog. The playful posture was sullied, though, by the didactic ending. Give me the absurd antics without the moral, please!

The layout (lots of white space with only a few words or sentences per page) will be a treat for emerging readers.

A sweet and simple tale of kindness and community, with some hilarious characters and dialogue. This will make a perfect read aloud for elementary students, and can be used to inspire discussion around embracing difference and helping others work towards a common goal. I loved Dim Sum Palace, I love this, and I can't wait to see what X. Fang does next!

We Are Definitely Human is a cute, silly story about three visitors who are definitely from Europe.

This was a really fun read and is something I would give anyone with children. It did make me wish my job also was wearing a hat.

This book is excellent! It’s funny, got a great plot and a message of treating others with kindness and generosity.
The illustrations are done in a way that makes the main characters stand out as the centre of attention. There are a variety of settings and the characters are easy to follow. This would be a great book for children aged 6-10.

The text is easy to read and is clear. I would purchase this for my young nieces and my classroom/school library.

We Are Definitely Human is an adorable, funny, and charming tale of three aliens who crash land on Earth. They are stranded on the planet until they can find a way to repair their spacecraft. During their time on Earth, they interact with humans in a variety of scenarios.

The storyline, featuring the humorous antics of the aliens, centres on a message of kindness, acceptance, and inclusion in an endearing and engaging way.

Filled with hilarious illustrations, this book will appeal to young audiences and beyond.

Kind thanks to Penguin Random House Canada - Tundra Books, NetGalley, and the author for an advanced reading copy of We Are Definitely Human.

This was hilarious! Not just little kid funny, but truly adult approved funny. The old timey illustrations and kooky storyline were a perfect match. I will be using the phrase “I make business” in my regular life.

Thank you Penguin Random House Canada and Netgalley for a copy of We Are Definitely Human!

"When three mysterious visitors from "Europe" crash-land in Mr. Li's field, he does what any good host would: he invites them back to his farmhouse and offers to help fix up their "car". No, there's nothing strange about these guests at all. Just like other humans, they "make business", "play sportsball" and "wear hat". As the townsfolk also come to the aid of the visitors and the gathering turns into a little party, interplanetary relations reach an all-time high."

Simple, silly, and sweet! A gorgeous story on kindness with lovely illustrations. I can just picture myself reading this out loud with my niece. :)

Hilarious read. Perfect for a great laugh & also a sweet lesson in kindness. Three aliens who are "definitely humans" crash land in Mr Li's yard. They need help repairing their "car" & the community comes together to show the "definitely humans" what it means to be kind. Illustrations are out of this world & the humor written & drawn is great for kids & adults!

The relentless side-eye of the dogs had me absolutely chortling.

What a great picture book that's about normalizing kindness and helping "people" simply for the sake of helping. The illustrations are great, some of the perspective changes are so cool too! I love how silly the whole thing is, there are a few lines that are gratuitously for the millennial parents (Gen Z will cringe). A super fun read overall.

It's pretty clear no human believes the "Europeans" but treats them kindly anyhow, an interesting way to teach kids to be observant, but not cold.

LOVED this. Very funny and cute story about some "humans" whose "car" has broken down... yes, they're definitely humans. Great art too! I also really liked that kindness and helpfulness were main points in this, without it feeling didactic.

I love X. Fang's work SO MUCH: Dim Sum Palace is lovely and playful, and her latest book is no different.

Mr. Li wakes to a noise in the night, and investigates his garden to discover three confused, but friendly, blue strangers. He bands together with his small town to repair their 'car', and send them off with friendship and a dance party.

Fang's illustrations are so unique and have a wry humour to them. Mrs. Li snoring with rollers on, and the three strangers sleeping in varied alien ways on a sofa was hilarious. It's a picture book that doesn't talk down to kids, but has jokes that appeal to them and their parents alike. Really excited for this to come out!

What a simple but excellent picture book! Great age-range appeal with a simple story that will keep the kids laughing and yelling "they're NOT human!" The illustrations are eye-catching and use color gorgeously, as evidenced just from the blues and purples of the cover. Another hit from X. Fang!

SO SWEET I loved this! Funny jokes that I think even the younger kids would be able to laugh at. The illustrations were so cute and engaging. A nice simple narrative story that would definitely be able to keep a younger reader's attention.

This is one of those picture books where the kid reading it is in on the joke. Obviously these aliens are not human, but because they keep saying they are to everyone they meet, everyone seems to accept it.

And the man and his wife who find them, accept that they are from Europe, and things are different there, and that is why they don’t know how things are where they are.

When asked what they do in Europe, one says they make business, the second says he plays sports ball, and the third says that he wears hats.
The kicker is when the man who first met them sees them fly away and says “Yep, they are definitely not from Europe.”

I think kids will love this book. Perfectly silly and brightly colored.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review. This book will be published the 6th of August 2024.

This is a hilarious tale of aliens coming to earth. The story is very silly and there are many laugh out loud parts that kids will love. I can see this being a great read aloud book. The illustrations are also lovely.

This was such a cute read!

I loved the artstyle and the use of colors.

The story was also really sweet and I think this would be great for kids, teaching about being friendly and kind to strangers.

Tried to read this to my 6 months old niece and she got a bit distracted by something else. But it’s probably because she was on a video call and couldn’t see all the cute illustrations.

The story paired with the visuals made me feel like I’d gone back in time when I used to draw houses with the perfect roof and windows and a door, and a tree and a sun in the background. I loved the shifty eyed dog who seemed quite central to the family. I loved the “definitely” humans. Especially how they “ate”.

A fun little story for the littles. Very delightful. Sweet ending. Kindness extravaganza. Recommend.

This was such a fun and lovely delight! It had the perfect balance of humour that would appeal to the grown up reader and to the little ones listening along, and the illustrations were the perfect match to the story. The message of kindness to new and different people kids meet is such an important one in this day and age and the book tackled it with just the right amount of heavy handedness. I’m super excited to recommend this one when it comes out!

Imaginative, humorous, and easy to follow, this was a fantastic and colorful picture book. My one push would be for a larger font size, with more bolding, but the illustrations will empower younger readers to invent a story along the way.

This book gave my toddler and I the giggles.

The emphasis on “definitely” being human and the way the humans decided to just allow the aliens to not just exist but to offer them kindness regardless of how different they were.

I loved the imagery and the personality you could read off of the characters depictions.

I would own a hard copy of this book. It’s an easy fav.

I volunteered to read this ARC through NetGalley