Thank you NetGalley for giving me the chance to read this book ahead of time in exchange for a review. You should read it!

I almost stopped reading this book after the first chapter....BUT I'm so glad i didnt! I was becoming more shocked with every chapter as the story unfolded. It had me gripped and amazed at every turn. A very just ending I think!

The beginning of this book unfortunately proved to be TIRESOME. The prologue grips you immediately and then it goes downhill from there...The main character really goes on and on and on about nothing in particular and it's lacking something interesting to keep you reading.

It took almost 30% into the book for it to prove slightly more interesting, although still tough to read because there is no information given.

When Finally things started happening in the book and it got more interesting but for me it's too little, too late. For more than half of the book he waffled on and on and didn't say anything!!! For me, the book had potential but was far too long, and the ending - still not sure about it? Thank you for the opportunity to read this novel; however it just was not for me!

This was a strong psychological thriller, it had a suspenseful feel that I was looking for and enjoyed about the genre. I was engaged with what was happening and how the story worked with Malcolm and the cast. Iain Maitland has a strong feel for the genre and was glad I got to read this.

A clever, thrilling and captivating story full of tension and suspense! Great multi-faceted, realistic characters. Very interesting plots. Vivid descriptions. Kept me intrigued from the first page to the last.

*I received a complimentary ARC of this book in order to read and provide a voluntary, unbiased and honest review, should I choose to do so.

I enjoyed this read. I was able to be along with the character in his emotions and distractions. I love how I did not see it unfolding with nice surprise. Would love to have seen just a little more past the ending but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it .

I received this book from NetGalley.

I'm only on Chapter 3 and this book is already tiresome. The prologue grips you and then it goes downhill. The main character really goes on and on and on about nothing in particular and it's lacking something interesting to keep you reading - but I shall.

Adrian has so many things that he's done to involve the police and yet there are still no consequences. That's very weird. Why was nothing done except for a chat?

The narrator appears creepy and obsessed with his coworker. Nothing is said about what she says/does. Just him. And it appears she was being friendly, but who can tell.

So this man killed someone, right? Or people. That's why he can't leave. 29% into the book and it's starting to get slightly more interesting, although still tough to read because there is no information given.

The dad is being horrible to Adrian. Adrian's answering all of the questions and the dad is just horrid to him. It shows a completely different dynamic to the woe is me that the dad portrays.

This man is absolutely crazy. I knew it from the beginning but I didn't realise just how messed up he was!

Finally things started happening in the book and it got more interesting but for me it's too little, too late. For more than half of the book he waffled on and on and didn't say anything. For me, the book had potential but was far too long, and the ending - still not sure about it.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this advanced copy. This one was very slow to get started took until halfway through to get to anything. I like the author's other books, and will still read them, but this one wasn't for me. The plot was intriguing, but just didn't get there for me.

What Lies Inside gave a me an overwhelming sense of dread and creepiness as I read through. The beginning was pretty slow and to be honest I nearly dnf'd it but I am glad as the ending and twist made it worth it to me. I thought it was an interesting look into the MC's mind and gave conflicting and intriguing perspective into why he is the way he is. Even though it was a slow start (really just a slow burn) the plot was developed well and the characters had lots of depth and sustenance to them that made this an overall intriguing (and heartwrenching) read.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for my copy :)

3.5 stars

Im a sucker for a great cover and What Lies Inside, wins.

Between the mysterious cover and intriguing tittle, there was no need to read the synopsis, I knew this was a match made in bookish heaven.

Gosh, I love it when I'm right !!!

This book is.... CREEPY

All over body chills the minute you begin.

Twisted, in all the best ways possible and quite literally you will abandon your body and submerge your soul within the pages of this book.

Chefs kiss.

Check out this teaser :

At last, Malcolm has found the perfect woman. Now he just has to keep her.

Malcolm Todd seems like an average older man – he lives a quiet life in an ordinary bungalow on a suburban street.

But Malcolm is hungry – he’s looking for love.

There was that young woman at work with the lovely hair. That didn't work out.

And the one who worked at a delicatessen. That ended quite badly.

But now someone very special has come to stay, right here in his own home. Josie is young, beautiful, spirited. And it’s clear to Malcolm that he and she have a very strong connection. A connection that could lead to a truly delicious future.

Josie might not immediately understand how happy they could be together. But Malcolm is sure he can find ways to persuade her…

What a trip we are taken on in this story about a man, Malcolm, who is definitely not ok but just really wants to be left alone, have love, and be respected. This man also has issues with boundaries especially when it comes to women and not thinking that any kind gesture is them coming on to them. His wife of 30 years doesn’t really want him anymore and has left him to deal with their adult son who isn’t capable of taking care of himself or so Malcolm says but you can’t really believe anything he says and as the story goes on you see why.

Creepy, eerie and compelling, this book kept me hooked! The mental illness factor was brilliant and well thought out. The main character genuinely terrified me! Excellent novel!

Good read, keeps you in suspense as you learn about the characters and story. This book had me questioning every chapter, where it was going and brining my mind back to original details shared wondering when it would come into play.
Definitely worth the read!

Creepy and compulsive. A slow burn that gave me a feeling of dread, that it was building to something truly horrible. It was like when you know you should look away, but you can’t!

Malcolm and his son Adrian are strange and disturbing characters. Malcolm lost his job with HMRC and Adrian has previously had police involvement due to an inappropriate interest in children, which Malcolm worries he is regressing into again.

The story is narrated by Malcolm in the present and through his journal. All he wants is to live out his days in peace, but then he discovers his wife is having an affair and matters get complicated!

3.5 ⭐️ Thanks to Netgalley, Iain Maitland and Inkubator for an ARC in return for an honest review.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I found it hard to engage much with this book and thus took much longer to finish it than I normally would. It was a slow start and didn't pick up traction until around the halfway point.

The main character Malcolm, who's POV the book is in, has zero self awareness or accountability. He blames literally everyone else for the mistakes he's made that led him to his current situation. He's also a major creep, rapist, and murderer. With that being said, the ending/his demise was very satisfying and I'd even go as far as saying it was my favorite part. I don't condone cheating, but I also understand why his wife wanted to GTFO.

Josie is a total leech. Considering how Adrian was described, I believe she was looking for someone to fool and hide away with after stealing from Leon. I'm fully convinced at this point that Josie knew Adrian was not coming back and simply was biding her time until the opportunity came to get rid of Malcolm. Malcolm had already gotten rid of Leon, so ultimately she got a free house and 10k out of the whole ordeal.

I wouldn't say I enjoyed the book, but I also didn't hate it. I definitely didn't like any of the characters and found some quite repulsive. 3.5 stars.

This was somewhat of a slow start. I loved how it was told from the view of the main character who is falling further and further into mental illness. There were some intense parts for sure. I would recommend.

This book is definitely a very slow burn read, it takes a while before it picks up. The plot was definitely interesting and what kept me hooked and kept me reading until the end.

Slow to start but picked up midway through and ended decently. I almost didn’t finish but happy I did.

Enjoyed reading this book. Found it quite slow to begin with but it did move faster in the second half! Worth a read.

This was a bit of a slow burn for me, but the plot, although different from what I expected from the description, kept me intrigued enough until the end. Malcom Todd was quite disturbing as the main character and just plain creeped me out. The ending could have had a little more excitement to it, but did surprise me with a twist I didn’t see coming.
Overall, I would recommend this to anyone looking for a quick read with a bit of mystery and suspense in it.

Thank you to NetGalley and Inkubator books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest opinion.