Here Lie the Secrets

Pub Date 25 Jun 2020 | Archive Date 26 Jun 2020
Little Tiger Group, Stripes Publishing

Talking about this book? Use #HereLietheSecrets #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Mia’s best friend Holly died when they were thirteen. But years later, Holly still hasn’t left her.
Spending the summer in New York, Mia is hoping to escape the visions of Holly that haunt her life at home. There she meets Rav, a parapsychology student, who convinces her to take part in a study into why some people see ghosts. Soon she is caught up in the investigation of Halcyon House, which is reputed to be haunted by a poltergeist. As Mia confronts her fears, what she learns about the house and herself will change her life forever.
A tense psychological thriller for fans of ONE OF US IS LYING, A GOOD GIRL'S GUIDE TO MURDER and THIS LIE WILL KILL YOU.

'Here Lies The Secrets' reminded me of 'A Good Girls Guide To Murder', in the best way. Both are written in a really great, relaxed tone- despite the subject matters. 'Here Lies The Secrets' is quite dark, in some respects, but its astonishingly easy to read. It's perfectly suited to a young adult audience, because I feel like if it was aimed towards adults it probably would of been overflowing with paranormal jargon. Emma Young found the perfect balance of tone, language, and plot, resulting in a great quick read. For me, Halycon House was the perfect setting. To be honest, I think the best books about ghosts and hauntings tend to take place in creepy houses, and Halycon House fit the bill perfectly. It had all the tropes we know and love; a tragic past, things going bump in the night, and isolation from the outside world. The backstory of Halycon House and its past residents was so sad, and Young described it all in a way that made me absolutely certain that there was some paranormal entities looming. I was expecting 'Here Lies The Secrets' to be a lot scarier than it was. But, truthfully, I'm a total wimp. As much as I love ghost stories, I almost always have to sleep with the light on afterwards, so I was glad to find it actually wasn't as scary as I had assumed. But it did have a fair few spooky moments; these mostly revolved around Mia and Holly. 'Here Lies The Secrets' didn't need to be scary though, because the plot went so much deeper than any ghost story I've ever witnessed. We didn't need actual ghosts jumping out at us, because the real haunting was the past. Mia is great as a protagonist, and I loved seeing her character develop as the story progressed. At the beginning of the novel she is so haunted by her best friends death that its stopping her from really living her own life. Her guilt broke my heart, especially as the novel progressed and we slowly found out more about the circumstances surrounding Holly's death. Overall, 'Here Lies The Secrets' is a decent novel. It isn't too heavy, nor too scary, and is surprisingly heartfelt. The ghost hunting aspect was intriguing; Young didn't get too deep into the specifics of paranormal investigating, for which I was grateful. I loved the character of Mia, and the ending tied up every loose end neatly and concisely. Thank you to Netgalley and Little Tiger Group for sending me an ARC of 'Here Lies The Secrets'.