Atomic Love

Pub Date 17 Sep 2020 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #AtomicLove #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A stunning novel about our fiercest loyalties, deepest desires and the power of forgiveness

'Science, love, espionage, and a heroine who carves a strong path in the world of men. There is nothing left to want' Ann Patchett

'A highly-charged love story' Delia Owens, bestselling author of Where the Crawdads Sing

Chicago, 1950

Rosalind Porter has always defied expectations - in her work as a physicist on the Manhattan Project to design the atomic bomb, and in her passionate love affair with coworker Thomas Weaver. Five years after the end of both, her guilt over the results of her work and her heartbreak over Weaver are intertwined. She has almost succeeded in resigning herself to a more conventional life.

Then Weaver gets back in touch - but so does the FBI. Agent Charlie Szydlo wants Rosalind to spy on Weaver, whom the FBI suspects of selling nuclear secrets to Russia.

Rosalind's final assignment launches her on a mission to find the truth . . . no matter where it leads.

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (MOBI)

Absolutely brilliant read! The Manhattan Project, Communists and spies, this story has it all! Former nuclear scientist, Rosalind is now working on the makeup counter of a department store when her former lover and colleague, Wheeler, makes contact, followed closely by Charlie an FBI agent. This is the beginning of a huge dilemma for her as she is asked to betray Wheeler's confidences in order to protect her country. Full of intrigue and peril, this book kept me on the edge of my seat as I followed the twists and turns of the story. A cracking read!

FAscinating story about women's role in science and the race to build the bomb. We are taken to the heart of the Manhattan project and the cold war. There's russian spies, FBI agents and tales of Japanese prisoners. The novel is filled with science and it's easy to understand and follow. Fascinating world and say that coming from a very non scientific background! Full characters you care about and a very interesting story. A must read!

In all honesty, I am not the biggest fan of romance novels- nor am I into espionage novels. And yet, ‘Atomic Love’ quickly became the exception. I was surprised by how much I loved ‘Atomic Love’; it was gripping and compelling, but also heartfelt and strangely realistic. It was, in a nutshell, absolutely not what I was expecting. Fields has written a beautiful novel that I truly fell in love with. There were so many layers to ‘Atomic Love’, and it really surprised me. I was expecting a fully fledged romance with hints of espionage, or vice versa, and whilst it definitely had elements of both, the novel was really a lot more than that. Fields presented us with classic tropes from both genres, but when mixed with themes of friendship, family, loyalty, and betrayal- and not to mention a strong female lead- ‘Atomic Love’ became a complex, multi-layered novel that could easily appeal to anyone. But I can’t talk about ‘Atomic Love’ without dedicating an entire paragraph to Rosalind Porter. Fields gave us a perfect protagonist in Rosalind. Her name brings images of pf a delicate, breakable woman- but Rosalind was anything but. She was the strong female lead of dreams, but not to the extreme of alienating us as readers. Rosalind was strong and intelligent, but she was also emotional, caring, and complex. I never thought anyone could make me relate to a scientist but I found myself really understanding Rosalind. This is, in part, because Fields didn’t constantly remind us of Rosalind’s intelligence; she was led largely by her heart, rather than her head, and her relationships and friendships made her a warm, relatable character, rather than an untouchable genius. Although espionage and science both played huge roles in the plot, they often took a backseat to Rosalind’s personal life. And, despite being largely against romance novels, I actually loved watching Rosalind’s budding relationship with Charlie unfold and seeing how her past with Wheeler shaped her. Fields’ portrayal of Rosalind’s heartbreak felt incredibly realistic to me and was only enhanced by her conflicting emotions upon his return. I found myself as torn as she was between Charlie and Wheeler- Fields really does put us in Rosalind’s shoes. And yet Rosalind’s romantic relationships- as powerful as they were- didn’t take over the entire novel. Fields balanced every component of the novel perfectly. She didn’t allow Rosalind’s love life to entirely take over, but nor did she make the case against Wheeler a focal point. Running alongside the main plotline was Rosalind’s life away from Charlie and Wheeler; I loved this, because Fields made it clear that Charlie and Wheeler were not the centre of Rosalind’s world. I thought Fields did a beautiful job of depicting the complexities of family dynamics, and the scenes with Rosalind’s niece were some of my favourites. In case my rave review of ‘Atomic Love’ didn’t make my feelings clear enough- I loved this book. Fields pulled me right into Rosalind’s complex, confusing world until I felt like I was experiencing everything right there with Rosalind herself. ‘Atomic Love’ is a gorgeous novel, and I cannot recommend it enough.